IGNORED

Marcel Brands (DoF)

13 minutes ago, Makis said:

The difference here is that if you do find a good DoF then that good manager leaving is not such a big deal. And a good manager can somewhat offset a not-so-good DoF. Will Burnley find as good a manager when Dyche leaves? Probabilities are against that. Especially as the squad is now all his doing.

Thats just as true as a good Chairman appointing a good next manager. Les Reed was being hailed as genius at Soton until it started to falter in the last couple of years. West Brom have a DoF and they have gone through God knows how many unsuccessful managers and styles of play since he has been there. Any success a DoF model can have a manager can too and any pitfall a manager can have a DoF can too. The Chairman or board can set the tone of the club the same was a DoF can. Whichever model you choose it' probably more about doing it well than one being better than the other. Personally I don't think this club suits the DoF model.

I actually think Reed has done a great job except the mass migration of players.  Had he held onto a couple of the top players for another year (still let them leave just drag feet) he could have a better squad now.  Potch and koeman and puel were all good appointments who kept them up and got Europe and a cup final (some did).  For a small club like them that’s massive!  They’ve botched it once they got rid of puel and the fiasco this year, but on the whole he’s been the only reason they have stayed up. 

11 hours ago, markjazzbassist said:

I actually think Reed has done a great job except the mass migration of players.  Had he held onto a couple of the top players for another year (still let them leave just drag feet) he could have a better squad now.  Potch and koeman and puel were all good appointments who kept them up and got Europe and a cup final (some did).  For a small club like them that’s massive!  They’ve botched it once they got rid of puel and the fiasco this year, but on the whole he’s been the only reason they have stayed up. 

Pochettino and Koeman were very good appointments but in my opinion they masked what was an increasing problem. The quality of the players was decreasing, the youth werent being brought through and then they went to a manager in Puel that set them up not to lose. I'm not a fan of Puel myself and it doesnt look like he will be at Leicester much longer either. He did well to get them into the League Cup final though but they were starting to slide under him. I was surprised when they sacked him, but then they gambled with Pellegrino which didnt work and was a completely different style of play and then held onto him for far too long before going to Hughes which is different again. All the problems that people have highlighted with the 'manager' model have all come to fruition under a DoF at Southampton.

They aren't that small as a club, they had a long history of being in the top flight prior to their financial issues, but they are now a very rich club and shouldn't be involved in a relegation scrap.

7 minutes ago, Shukes said:

I actually respect the fact that he is respecting his current position. He should be waiting until the end of the season to make any decisions. His current focus should be his current team, or he isn’t worst a penny.

We should be looking past mercenaries now and start looking at proper staff.

Exactly.

Let the guy finish his contract off and then do whatever he wants to do.

He's probably just trying to give as diplomatic an answer as he can from this constant question being fired at him by the press.

Sounds positive. I have high hopes for him as he seems to have a very good track record of turning teams around. 

Like Romey said, it would give me hope that Allardyce will go and brands will then play a part in getting a new manager in.

18 minutes ago, Romey 1878 said:

I wonder if Walsh is getting completely fucked off or just shuffled off into a new position. 

Can see him becoming a head scout, at least for 1 year to try and redeem himself, if he doesn't produce then he'll be booted.

14 minutes ago, aaron said:

Can see him becoming a head scout, at least for 1 year to try and redeem himself, if he doesn't produce then he'll be booted.

I can't imagine he'll accept a demotion. Hasn't been with us long enough to have any loyalty to the club.

15 minutes ago, Bill said:

Wondering if he would have any say on who becomes Manager.

I would say so as it says they will now begin on bringing in a new manager on the last line? Could be a token line though.

As much as I am 50/50 with Walsh and his signings, recommending Allardyce as manager was the nail in his coffin. You dont get this club now get out for a proper DoF who will hopefully have a far better understanding of the role and this club.