IGNORED

Manchester City (Home) Saturday March 31st

markjazzbassist

Same lineup as the stoke win except throw klaassen or vlasic on for davies.  Gonna be a rough one, and I would expect sam to have a 8 defenders and just pray for a draw.  I think we will get beaten badly.

Pickford

coleman holgate Jags baines

Gana

Rooney  klaassen

walcott             Tosun           Bolasie

These next two games are going to be horrendous. Just hope we don’t get embarrassed. Rooney won’t have the legs to play midfield in the city game. He will probably get sent off. I can see sam going ultra defensive. I’d play klassen against city. They aren’t a physical team and think he would suit that. Still think we will be beaten 1-3 Cenk getting one 

------------------Pickford---------------

Coleman Jags  Keane Baines

Walcott  Rooney Gana  Bolasi

---------------Tosun DCL--------------

Need some pace along side Tosun up top, either Niasse or Dom. 

Lets not forget Burnley, Palace and Leicester all picked up a point against them on home soil, as did we at the Ethihad. We have a chance to get at least a point here. They're not completely un-doable so let's get 7 points minimum in our last 3 games before the Derby.

Like some have suggested, its sensible to save Klaassen for after the Derby.

9 hours ago, Aidan said:

------------------Pickford---------------

Coleman Jags  Keane Baines

Walcott  Rooney Gana  Bolasi

---------------Tosun DCL--------------

Need some pace along side Tosun up top, either Niasse or Dom. 

Lets not forget Burnley, Palace and Leicester all picked up a point against them on home soil, as did we at the Ethihad. We have a chance to get at least a point here. They're not completely un-doable so let's get 7 points minimum in our last 3 games before the Derby.

Like some have suggested, its sensible to save Klaassen for after the Derby.

Which 3 games.? The next two games are city and the Derby.

21 hours ago, Romey 1878 said:

They’re one of the best pressing teams around, so it’d be a massive mistake to play Klaassen imo. 

I can't believe some people are suggesting he should start. Based on what ffs?? It would be suicide, not only does he not look capable playing against a press, he also offers nothing defensively. 

Excellent post Sir McGiven. Agree with most of your analysis. In theory, a front 3 of Walcott, Cenk and Bolasie should have the energy to press high and put them under pressure at source. Baines and Coleman are also experienced enough to at least make their wingers know they're in a game. Coleman v Sane could be fascinating. 

Where I think we'll get spanked is midfield. I just don't think we've got anyone who can handle an in form Silva and De Bruyne. Rooney has the brain but not the mobility, Davies will try hard but looks knackered. I hope Sigurdsson is back just so we can go halfway to match them in footballing ability, but then we're risking being open. You also have factor in that we have a manager who will not try to press high and set us up to play with 9 men behind the ball, inviting them onto us for 90 minutes. 

The only cause for optimism is that we're a bit of a bogey team for them. 

Unfortunately a 2 or 3 man press with Bolasi, Walcott and Cenk is as good as a 1 man press. For pressing to be effective it has to be a team effort, one which we aren't used to or good enough at right now. Our midfield lacks pace, strength and a tenacious attitude and the only way to get anything from the game is to defend flawlessly and take any chances we get on the break.

17 hours ago, nogs said:

Where I think we'll get spanked is midfield. I just don't think we've got anyone who can handle an in form Silva and De Bruyne. Rooney has the brain but not the mobility, Davies will try hard but looks knackered. I hope Sigurdsson is back just so we can go halfway to match them in footballing ability, but then we're risking being open. You also have factor in that we have a manager who will not try to press high and set us up to play with 9 men behind the ball, inviting them onto us for 90 minutes. 

The only cause for optimism is that we're a bit of a bogey team for them. 

That's where I have my concerns as well. Also agreed with @Aidan's concerns, the team is not up to pace in general and it is a hard task to ask them to pressure City's defenders on their half, I know, especially there is a derby match in the following week. It would have been great to see Everton resist in that way. :)

What I've shared still can be modified even though not all of the aspects are possible to do, I mean, at least trying to lock-up their wingers and key midfielders with tight marking. Everton's wings can handle this, both fullbacks and forward wingers. Cenk can be asked to try to cut their passing lines between CB's and their midfielders without getting into direct contact. If he can move smartly without running like a headless chicken and be a threat on the CB-Mid passing lines, it will force them to look to pass the ball to the full backs or long ball to wingers.

What they do, when they are setting up their attack by the defense, is like;

GK passes the ball to CB (Otamendi most likely) and they play it to their wingers while an MC coming close to get the ball then 1-2 or a triangle to let any of them run forward freely and eliminate a defender to outnumber the opponent up front.

If they don't see any resistance on their half, then CBs are running with the ball through the mid lane which really dangerous as you are letting CBs into the play on their attacking turn.

Another thing what Everton needs to be careful is De Bruyne. He is definitely will be the most dangerous man on the pitch. He is a decent winger and also an excellent central midfielder. Pep knows it for sure and using it really good. De Bruyne can switch positions with wingers to let them (Sterling - Sane for example) run with the ball to create a threat with Agüero. There is only one more person that can do this in their squad, Silva. Winger-Central Midfielder. Wen they both on the pitch, dear lord, show mercy... This is something that Klopp doesn't have. Similar tactics, similar attacking sets but none of the Pool midfielders capable of running by the side.

Man. City is effin' dominating the league right now, their game is also dominating and they have multiple threats on their attacking sets. In my opinion, if you try to defense flawlessly, there will be no chance to get a point as they will find a lot of chances because Everton center backs can do a mistake in any minute or the midfielders. A wrong pass from Gana or a mistake when marking Agüero, being out of position for any reason, will cause a serious problem and crack the wall.

It would have worked in any minor league in Europe but I don't think it is an efficient solution for EPL. Still not saying that it is out of consideration, it could work but as it happened against Arsenal,  if they score an early goal, there will be no chance to reverse it.

On 3/17/2018 at 13:58, markjazzbassist said:

Same lineup as the stoke win except throw klaassen or vlasic on for davies.  Gonna be a rough one, and I would expect sam to have a 8 defenders and just pray for a draw.  I think we will get beaten badly.

Pickford

coleman holgate Jags baines

Gana

Rooney  klaassen

walcott             Tosun           Bolasie

Replace Klaassen with Schneiderlin and you’re probably about right. 

2 hours ago, Cornish Steve said:

Replace Klaassen with Schneiderlin and you’re probably about right. 

What ! Gana and Schniederlin on the pitch together, no thanks. I can handle Gana playing but no Schniederlin, he's been a ghosting passenger the season, doesn't deserve a place, I'd rather Benni who wants to play for us.

7 minutes ago, Wiggytop said:

What ! Gana and Schniederlin on the pitch together, no thanks. I can handle Gana playing but no Schniederlin, he's been a ghosting passenger the season, doesn't deserve a place, I'd rather Benni who wants to play for us.

He’s not saying that’s what he wants to happen. 

10 hours ago, pete0 said:

I'm dreading the ultra defensive 5 at the back shambles. 

Pickford 

Coleman Holgate Jagielka Keane Baines 

Walcott Gana Schneiderlin Bolasie 

Tosun 

Rooney rather than Schneiderlin. Would then be about the best eleven we have available.

On 19/03/2018 at 15:10, Sir McGiven said:

First of all, defensive formation lets City (or Pool after that) destroy Everton. Tactic should be designed around 4-3-3 IMO. But let's talk about City without being off-topic...

City's formation is 4-3-3 almost in every event. Explosive striker, Agüero is upfront and he is being supported by magnificent wingers around him also, one of the best midfielders De Bruyne - Silva/Gundogan in the league. On the other hand, while they are defending, their formation sometimes turning into 4-4-2.

They love to build up their play from the defense which includes their goalkeeper as Pep known for his admire for the goalkeepers with decent kicking/passing the ball abilities. So the first thing that needs to be done, pressing City's defenders and force them to use long balls as Liverpool was successfully doing that to them. Mark them tightly, press up front, cut their pass roots as they will be looking to pass the ball to the supportive midfield who will be De Bruyne, Silva/Gundogan. As I mentioned, Liverpool did it and forced City to use long balls more than they've ever done and caused mistakes, lost balls etc.

The handicap here is Everton doesn't have any all-around midfielders. Gana can be good defensively but lack of attacking skills. Rooney is good when he is attacking. Davies, I'm not sure if he can handle this game, to be honest, and he was looking tired last week.

They closing-down starting from their forward line, tireless attackers and midfielders are their advantages. However, it can be surpassed by using long balls and Rooney can be efficient. Walcott, Bolasie, and Cenk can get decent scoring chances.

Key markings should be on Agüero, De Bruyne and Silva/Gundogan, rest is manageable.

Their set-pieces are also dangerous because of De Bruyne's set-piece skills, in those cases, markings and man-sharing in the box should be thorough. Stoke City game is a good example of it. Half-assed man marking in the box caused a conceded goal.

In conclusion; cut their pass lines, keep a close eye on their key players and pressure all the time. Let them feel you inhale and exhale on their back. Use your lungs, run m...f... run but also use your brain! Try long balls to surpass their oppressive pressure and try to get a lucky shot in the box or outside the box.

Or there is another way,

Set your formation to 5 - 4 - 1 and pray to concede less than you imagine. Defending blindly is stupid as Fat tried it against Arsenal but defending smart is a good weapon against a stronger side than you.

On 20/03/2018 at 13:09, Sir McGiven said:

That's where I have my concerns as well. Also agreed with @Aidan's concerns, the team is not up to pace in general and it is a hard task to ask them to pressure City's defenders on their half, I know, especially there is a derby match in the following week. It would have been great to see Everton resist in that way. :)

What I've shared still can be modified even though not all of the aspects are possible to do, I mean, at least trying to lock-up their wingers and key midfielders with tight marking. Everton's wings can handle this, both fullbacks and forward wingers. Cenk can be asked to try to cut their passing lines between CB's and their midfielders without getting into direct contact. If he can move smartly without running like a headless chicken and be a threat on the CB-Mid passing lines, it will force them to look to pass the ball to the full backs or long ball to wingers.

What they do, when they are setting up their attack by the defense, is like;

GK passes the ball to CB (Otamendi most likely) and they play it to their wingers while an MC coming close to get the ball then 1-2 or a triangle to let any of them run forward freely and eliminate a defender to outnumber the opponent up front.

If they don't see any resistance on their half, then CBs are running with the ball through the mid lane which really dangerous as you are letting CBs into the play on their attacking turn.

Another thing what Everton needs to be careful is De Bruyne. He is definitely will be the most dangerous man on the pitch. He is a decent winger and also an excellent central midfielder. Pep knows it for sure and using it really good. De Bruyne can switch positions with wingers to let them (Sterling - Sane for example) run with the ball to create a threat with Agüero. There is only one more person that can do this in their squad, Silva. Winger-Central Midfielder. Wen they both on the pitch, dear lord, show mercy... This is something that Klopp doesn't have. Similar tactics, similar attacking sets but none of the Pool midfielders capable of running by the side.

Man. City is effin' dominating the league right now, their game is also dominating and they have multiple threats on their attacking sets. In my opinion, if you try to defense flawlessly, there will be no chance to get a point as they will find a lot of chances because Everton center backs can do a mistake in any minute or the midfielders. A wrong pass from Gana or a mistake when marking Agüero, being out of position for any reason, will cause a serious problem and crack the wall.

It would have worked in any minor league in Europe but I don't think it is an efficient solution for EPL. Still not saying that it is out of consideration, it could work but as it happened against Arsenal,  if they score an early goal, there will be no chance to reverse it.

Great posts!

I think you hit the nail on the head when you talk about out central midfield. City have got into trouble when teams have transitioned quicker that their press. Even when Wigan sat deep, they transitioned really well and importantly got players forward. With the right intent you can get 4v4, 3v3, 2v2 quite easily against City because that is the sacrifice they are prepared to make to play the way they do. De Bruyne and Silva press very well, but if you run past them they don't bust a gut to get back, but even though you can get them matched up, they are excellent at defending 1v1 and making tactical fouls and we aren' exactly great at our decision making in the final third as we showed last weekend. 

In order to math them up, you could see Bolasie, Walcott and Cenk causing them an issue or two as long as that counter attacking intent is allowed, but we don't have any midfielders that can play box to box. Davies, Rooney, Schneiderlin don' have the legs and Gana has the right attributes but doesn' have the quality you need in the opposition half. Klaassen probably does have the best profile of all of our players but God knows what level he is at. The first 3 of those are also very capable of dwelling on the ball and if you do that against City you will get punished.  I'm not really sure what else we can do.

16 hours ago, Finn balor said:

They’ll wanna win the league against United so they will come out all guns blazing hoping to put us to bed early and I can only see that happening. 1-3 loss Cenk with a consolation 

It would take a breakdown of gargantuan proportions for them to lose the league title at this point and they can't mathematically clinch against us, so this is really just another match for them.

That said, they'll still dominate us because they're a much better team with an infinitely better manager and significantly better players than us.