IGNORED

Liverpool Derby (Goodison) Saturday April 7th

markjazzbassist

1 hour ago, Bailey said:

Interesting read. I had looked at the PL games they have struggled in but haven't paid attention that much to Klopp in his time at Dortmund.

Looking at the teams that they have struggled against, the main theme has been that they have played relatively narrow. Against Utd, Rashford was the only midfielder wider than the centre circle, Palace only really had Zaha in his usual wide position with Townsend tucking in, no-one from Spurs in either game played wide in the midfield (albeit they played with 5 at the back in the first game) and its only really Burnley who have kept their usual shape which was a massive surprise to me. I think this is why Pep changed his approach midweek and "bottled it" as instead of playing with Sterling wide he played Gundogan and this was the monstrosity it created (from a purist City/Pep point of view).

image.png.ea8dc65b1f08b3b5be1cdf54bb7bcd82.png

It wasnt like the tactic didnt work for City, they all individually had a shocker and they just couldnt make things stick. I think they had a guilt edged chance at 1-0 and then another goal wrongly disallowed at 3-0 which freed Sane, much the same way Palace were using Zaha. My own personal issue with a side like this is there is no balance and ultimately I think they will tell over 90 minutes and if you set up to attack down one side, you will also ultimately be attacked down that side which is what Liverpool did to City with Ox pushing right up between Sane and Laporte.

I think City could have afforded to play they usual game against Liverpool and gone toe to toe, however we cant and adopting a shape like this, or like Spurs is the way to go in my opinion. When I hear Gary Neville on commentary against Liverpool he always talks about the confidence to play, especially through the middle of the park, because the reality is once you have beat the press you are up against a shaky exposed defence. Its easier to say than do, because Klopp's whole game plan is based on turning the ball over early and as you say, setting those traps to stop a team playing through them so its a real game of cat and mouse but we dont have the players to play long ball, hold it up and bring others into the game. We dont have the midfield to put pressure onto Liverpool's. We dont really have the defence to deal with the pace of Liverpool either.

All of this is relatively pointless as i expect to see a back 9 with 1 striker positioned in our half 90% of the game.

it is always good to see your analysis mate, I enjoy your posts. it would have been great to make more brainstorming if I have had time to create my post earlier than the matchday morning, lol. Yeah, in general, I do agree, Everton doesn't have a squad or tactical manager to deal with Liverpool. But it shows, how terrible Everton on central midfield position and how inconsistent defenders they have. So, what I am saying is, these kinds of matches and big challenges should show what are the weak spots in the team and should shape up the transfer strategy during the summer.

To be honest, I don't think these matters we discuss as fans, as football lovers are not the case for the people who run the team. But somebody needs to pay attention and Moshiri needs to decide, even he doesn't make it public for now, on either if he is going with Sam or somebody else. If somebody else, let him and potential DoF watch your games and prepare a pre-transfer strategy... I think if club leaves it for the summer, fire sam, hire the new one, let him analyze the team etc... it is going to be too late and will take time to see changes making any effect on the team.

Just now, barryj said:

Who rathers  Bolasie to Lookman? Bolasie isn’t up to it.

No support for Tousan either.

So far another poor performance 

We aren' even attempting to play through midfield and that' why he has no support. So many times the ball has been at the back and we have gone long despite options. They are scared to play.