IGNORED

A changing tide in the premier leagues top clubs?

I’m sensing a change in the top clubs.  Chelsea is now out of the top 4 and Europa league fodder along with arsenal.  Next year begins the auto champions league place (no more playoff) and spurs have become the dominant London side now.  Chelsea has cast off so many managers and players I can see this next appointment finally catching up with them. Liverpool have thrust into the top 4 after being in and out over the years.  

Could we be witnessing arsenal and chelsea coming back to mere mortality?  Is the gulf between the haves and have nots only going to get more drastic, yes to both I think.

3 hours ago, markjazzbassist said:

I’m sensing a change in the top clubs.  Chelsea is now out of the top 4 and Europa league fodder along with arsenal.  Next year begins the auto champions league place (no more playoff) and spurs have become the dominant London side now.  Chelsea has cast off so many managers and players I can see this next appointment finally catching up with them. Liverpool have thrust into the top 4 after being in and out over the years.  

Could we be witnessing arsenal and chelsea coming back to mere mortality?  Is the gulf between the haves and have nots only going to get more drastic, yes to both I think.

I think Chelsea will continue to experience this up and down league form if they continue to decide to change their manager every couple of seasons and then not allow them to build their own squad.

Arsenal have been heading downhill for years but have somehow managed to cling on through failings of others, but with the big managers back in the league (Klopp, Pep, Mourinho) and the emergence of Poch at Spurs there is a level of quality and consistency that you will have to overcome in order to get into the top 4.

I think Arsenal will struggle now consistently until something changes, and like Utd, that might not happen immediately when a new man comes in. Chelsea's success will depend on who they get in and I wouldnt rule them yo-yoing in and out of the top 4.

As for the rest of the league, I don't really see any hope. It will take years to catch up with the real big players, especially when you take into account having to play European games with a smaller and shallower squad. For example we would need a good manager to come in and gradually build a squad to take on the others without being headhunted for a bigger side at the same time.

On ‎02‎/‎04‎/‎2018 at 16:42, Bailey said:

I think Chelsea will continue to experience this up and down league form if they continue to decide to change their manager every couple of seasons and then not allow them to build their own squad.

Arsenal have been heading downhill for years but have somehow managed to cling on through failings of others, but with the big managers back in the league (Klopp, Pep, Mourinho) and the emergence of Poch at Spurs there is a level of quality and consistency that you will have to overcome in order to get into the top 4.

I think Arsenal will struggle now consistently until something changes, and like Utd, that might not happen immediately when a new man comes in. Chelsea's success will depend on who they get in and I wouldnt rule them yo-yoing in and out of the top 4.

As for the rest of the league, I don't really see any hope. It will take years to catch up with the real big players, especially when you take into account having to play European games with a smaller and shallower squad. For example we would need a good manager to come in and gradually build a squad to take on the others without being headhunted for a bigger side at the same time.

well put together argument Bailey ....  makes me wonder if we can get a decent manager in ourselves.