IGNORED

Blue Bill's shiny new stadium at the docks...

Lowensda

Decent but what does he mean by a "..clearly defined home end.."? We already have two and the away fans are tucked in a corner; will one end get preferential treatment? Gwladys has the tradition but the Park End (which used to be the away end when such things existed) always sells out first because the views are better.

Confusing point for me.

Decent but what does he mean by a "..clearly defined home end.."? We already have two and the away fans are tucked in a corner; will one end get preferential treatment? Gwladys has the tradition but the Park End (which used to be the away end when such things existed) always sells out first because the views are better.

Confusing point for me.

Can't bring myself to listen to him. Edited by Hafnia

Confusing point for me.

Not for me, The Street End has always been the home end, that's why we always opt to run out to that end and why if we win the toss we always attack that end second half Edited by duncanmckenzieismagic

Not for me, The Street End has always been the home end, that's why we always opt to run out to that end and why if we win the toss we always attack that end second half

Agree with that dunc historically (and up to today) but just wondering how that translates to a new place.

Agree with that dunc historically (and up to today) but just wondering how that translates to a new place.

For me Mike the way to make that happen is the other three stands being two or three tier stands, one end being a tall single tier. Safe standing could really liven that up too. But the one stand being different to the rest can make it significant. Spurs are trying it with their home end too.

Aside from that, I like what he's saying. I like that they are looking at it differently. I can't wait to see how it looks.

• 2 weeks later...

For me Mike the way to make that happen is the other three stands being two or three tier stands, one end being a tall single tier. Safe standing could really liven that up too. But the one stand being different to the rest can make it significant. Spurs are trying it with their home end too.

Aside from that, I like what he's saying. I like that they are looking at it differently. I can't wait to see how it looks.

I like the idea of the large single tier home end in between two stands with two or three tiers, but we're missing a huge opportunity by not having both home ends as massive single tiers.

Elstone made reference to there being a small footprint?

Is it a small footprint or is area of the footprint given for our stadium too small? Are we shoved at the back to make way for retail space?

I don't like the idea of two home ends. It would dilute one end. There are no famous clubs with two home ends, because it just wouldn't be enough. Spurs home end has a capacity of 16,000 I think. That will be great, but you couldn't have two that size.

I think the site itself is a very big footprint but I'm not sure.

I don't like the idea of two home ends. It would dilute one end. There are no famous clubs with two home ends, because it just wouldn't be enough. Spurs home end has a capacity of 16,000 I think. That will be great, but you couldn't have two that size.

I think the site itself is a very big footprint but I'm not sure.

I disagree. The fact there are no famous clubs with two home ends is even more of a reason to do it.

I cannot see how it will dilute one end neither? A good stand is as such does everything to encourage and maximise noise from fans in there. You will have one stand with more younger fans in one end so one will be better than another but you still want the other end to be designed to get the best out of fans there too.

About the footprint, the place as a whole is big, but the section given for a stadium very well may not be. I expect it is because there is sense is us being at the back of the dock so you pass all the retail outlets to get to the stadium.

I find it odd that the Park End is more similar to most teams 'Home End' but is dead as door nail at Everton. I'd not risk having two! Naturally people will be drawn to one end over the other so you get a quieter section one end and the noisy brigade the other. That said quieter stands aren't all bad, we could gear a section to be autism friendly.

I find it odd that the Park End is more similar to most teams 'Home End' but is dead as door nail at Everton. I'd not risk having two! Naturally people will be drawn to one end over the other so you get a quieter section one end and the noisy brigade the other. That said quieter stands aren't all bad, we could gear a section to be autism friendly.

Good idea. Not sure it would be fully effective though as it's not just noise to the ear but visual 'noise' that can cause a problem too. Plus you can't really stop the noise from all the stadium reaching said section.

I disagree. The fact there are no famous clubs with two home ends is even more of a reason to do it.

I cannot see how it will dilute one end neither? A good stand is as such does everything to encourage and maximise noise from fans in there. You will have one stand with more younger fans in one end so one will be better than another but you still want the other end to be designed to get the best out of fans there too.

About the footprint, the place as a whole is big, but the section given for a stadium very well may not be. I expect it is because there is sense is us being at the back of the dock so you pass all the retail outlets to get to the stadium.

There aren't enough fans for two rowdy ends. If you took half the fans from the lower gwladys and sat them in the park end tomorrow you would end up with two stands not making as much noise as one.

As no one else has tried it in over 100 years of football stadium development maybe there is good reason for that.

There aren't enough fans for two rowdy ends. If you took half the fans from the lower gwladys and sat them in the park end tomorrow you would end up with two stands not making as much noise as one.

As no one else has tried it in over 100 years of football stadium development maybe there is good reason for that.

Still don't really get this Ste; I appreciate that there's going to be an area of every ground where the most vocal are likely to sit and I know from my last visit (in the main stand) that the atmosphere is more sedate, you're not out of your seat so often; although a lot of that is to do with the fact that you have a better view of the pitch.

But nobody has an "away end" any more like they used to back when I watched virtually every Everton game in London and the south when we really did have a whole end (and our opponents at Goodison had the Park End); both ends are now "home ends" and the few visitors allowed are confined to a small section in the corner.

Far from nobody trying it I think every club now has it; one end may be more rowdy but both are home.

That's not what I mean Mike, I'm pretty sure it's not what Paul means either.

The "home end" being discussed is your Gwladys, Kop, kind of thing. GP has two home ends, but in this context we are talking Gwladys. I'd never put away fans behind the goal. In this context my point is we don't have enough rowdy fans to fill two ends.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/athletics/40915921

Liverpool's plan will see a temporary athletics track put into Everton's proposed new stadium, while Birmingham is planning on refurbishing Alexander Stadium, the home of the national championships.

"If I was leader of the Liverpool or Birmingham bid I would be ringing [London Mayor] Sadiq Khan and say 'you know what, can we have the athletics in London and we will do everything else?" [Former Chief of UK Athletics Ed]Warner told BBC Radio 5 live's Sportsweek.
It would kind of make a mockery of the Liverpool bid when events are taking place in Manchester and Liverpool. :D

There will be one stand more consistently noisier than the other, that will house the younger rowdier lads at it's heart (price structure can sort that out), but it's more about maximising the potential noise from the other stand.

Teams attacking an End lifts that stands atmosphere, it makes a huge difference. You get fans on their feet from an attack for prolonged moments, that gets them more riled up, good atmospheres inspire more good atmospheres. A good quality design there will maximise the noise potential from them too.

If a second half in a big match we're attacking the other end we want the best possible noise from them to inspire a team, we don't want to give the other team any respite. The more good atmospheres there are the more it encourages fans to be rowdier. Quiet grounds breed quiet behaviour.

There will be one stand more consistently noisier than the other, that will house the younger rowdier lads at it's heart (price structure can sort that out), but it's more about maximising the potential noise from the other stand.

Teams attacking an End lifts that stands atmosphere, it makes a huge difference. You get fans on their feet from an attack for prolonged moments, that gets them more riled up, good atmospheres inspire more good atmospheres. A good quality design there will maximise the noise potential from them too.

If a second half in a big match we're attacking the other end we want the best possible noise from them to inspire a team, we don't want to give the other team any respite. The more good atmospheres there are the more it encourages fans to be rowdier. Quiet grounds breed quiet behaviour.

Where are we going to find all these extra rowdy people though? Yes we will have a higher attendance at the new stadium, but most of the time GP is quiet. Gwladys street isn't that big, so if a home end that is bigger than the current one needs to be filled first you won't have enough left over rowdy fans to be sat in the other end. It will just be full of regular fans, like the other two sides. If that wasn't the case the Park End would be much louder now. But it's not.

Either way, the new ground will have one single definitive home end.

Where are we going to find all these extra rowdy people though? Yes we will have a higher attendance at the new stadium, but most of the time GP is quiet. Gwladys street isn't that big, so if a home end that is bigger than the current one needs to be filled first you won't have enough left over rowdy fans to be sat in the other end. It will just be full of regular fans, like the other two sides. If that wasn't the case the Park End would be much louder now. But it's not.

Either way, the new ground will have one single definitive home end.

You actually don't need that many rowdy fans. 30-50 will do to generate a noise, perhaps even less. You then have fans who like to join in with noise, followed by others who get caught up in the moment. Ticketing, and not just pricing structures, can ensure that the rowdy fans can congregate.

Also the numbers of rowdy fans can fluctuate through time. Plus rowdy fans can be encouraged or discouraged by where they are, and the behaviour of those around them..

Now, even if one end does have all the ones who generate a regular noise, you can still have atmosphere generated in the other end that is generated when the team attacks them. The Park End has it's best atmospheres when the team attacks that end second half. it gets fans on their feet which leads to a better atmosphere. If that stand was shallower meaning fans stood more often, then it would generate more noise more often.

One end may produce more great atmospheres, but you still want to get the most out of the other end to produce great atmospheres. The right design and ticketing encourages greater atmospheres, flaws in designs means it's harder to get atmospheres.

• 2 weeks later...