IGNORED

Canadian Toffee

Karma Cop

Hey Crazies,

I really made the transition and launched myself from American Football to English Footy about five years ago. I was always feverish for our forlorn Canadian National team, and also played Footy up until High School (CDM mainly, knew how to work the engine room!...kind of like a McCarthy when I'd hit the pitch...or Besic lol). A number of random factors left me inclined to root for Everton, but what was so random has become a devoted five year following. I'm at the point no amount of money could buy me over to another team, even if I wanted to my heart would never make the transition. I've always been that way with other sports (when my Hockey team the Hartford Whalers relocated I could never like another and ultimately stopped watching Hockey all together). 

Regardless I've been meaning and keen to find a civilized, energetic and devoted forum to our Toffees. I'm glad to have stumbled upon this one and look forward in my spare moments casually checking over some of the recent threads/discussion. Being from Canada, there's a lot of interest over here but for a variety of leagues and teams so I haven't found many local Evertonians (to be fair I haven't been in the pub or around the footy scene much since my son was born). 

Speaking of which I'll go out on a picture of the little guy Tate with Everton props. Look forward to checking in now and then and tossing about my amateur thoughts on the state of team/players. 

Until that time,

Mark

IMG_1094.JPG

Welcome in Mark. I have a Scouse mate in Canada (Summerland BC).  Used to work with him. He's a red but a decent guy in spite.  Make sure that little Tate carries the banner on. Remember, its a lifetime thing supporting Everton.  I should know, saw my first game in 1946.

welcome, where in Canada are you?  i've been all over Canada myself (Vancouver, Calgary, Edmonton, Toronto, Montreal, etc), i really love it, the people are more laid back than americans and the self-depreciating humor that is innate in most Canadians is hilarious.  big poutine fan as well.  i tried to get my wife to immigrate to canada (true story) but she hates the cold and said this is as far north as she's going.  oh well!

when i was a kid we had a Canadian school come and do a program with us to promote cultural awareness, i learned the Canadian national anthem for that (5th grade) and still know it to this day.  O Canada....

33 minutes ago, johnh said:

Good looking lad, takes after her indoors then.:D

You may have a point:unsure:.

Actually though the nicest thing that ever happened along those lines was when we were at a big family reunion quite a few years back and an elderly great aunt who I'd never met before took one look at him and said "he's the image of Archie" (my grandfather who died before I was born); her jaw nearly hit the floor. Made me happy that:).

Love it, thanks for the true blue reception! 

Oddly (and fittingly) as quickly as I came to love Everton, I came to loath the boys in red across the Merseyside River. So I'm a touch deflated as I sit down to write having seen the Reds close out Man City. I'm guessing we have much better (read worse) names for them then the Reds. 

I'm from the East Coast of Canada, Halifax. Straight across the pond from England. I've actually been to England/United Kingdom way back and lived in Southern France for a year and a half (also a minor Nice fan, although it's hard to get too excited about anything coming out of Ligue 1). 

I do need to surf through the posts, curious how fans feel about the final five games? If you're like me, perhaps a touch afraid to run the table as it may lend itself to Big Sam staying on. I like the guy, as long as he's someone else's manager. Like a character out of Snatch. So I'm a touch torn down the stretch rooting full out. Also like to see Funes Mori get a few minutes and Klassen (or have we just given up on seeing him?). 

Also curious about the longevity of Goodison, I've come to greatly admire the fortress as if it was akin to the Roman Colisseum. I'd hate to die without ever having been at least once. It's still going to be Toffee Central for at least a few more years right? Or are they getting hot n' heavy on building something new. I hope not. 

5 hours ago, Karma Cop said:

Love it, thanks for the true blue reception! 

Oddly (and fittingly) as quickly as I came to love Everton, I came to loath the boys in red across the Merseyside River. So I'm a touch deflated as I sit down to write having seen the Reds close out Man City. I'm guessing we have much better (read worse) names for them then the Reds. 

I'm from the East Coast of Canada, Halifax. Straight across the pond from England. I've actually been to England/United Kingdom way back and lived in Southern France for a year and a half (also a minor Nice fan, although it's hard to get too excited about anything coming out of Ligue 1). 

I do need to surf through the posts, curious how fans feel about the final five games? If you're like me, perhaps a touch afraid to run the table as it may lend itself to Big Sam staying on. I like the guy, as long as he's someone else's manager. Like a character out of Snatch. So I'm a touch torn down the stretch rooting full out. Also like to see Funes Mori get a few minutes and Klassen (or have we just given up on seeing him?). 

Also curious about the longevity of Goodison, I've come to greatly admire the fortress as if it was akin to the Roman Colisseum. I'd hate to die without ever having been at least once. It's still going to be Toffee Central for at least a few more years right? Or are they getting hot n' heavy on building something new. I hope not. 

What you must know is the river is the RIVER MERSEY  and Merseyside is the region.  Everton and Liverpool are on the same side of the river and only separated by Stanley Park.  the REDS may also be known as REDSHITES and the fans who call themselves Kopites are often known as GOBSHITES.

PS The team on the other side of the River is Tranmere Rovers and they play at Prenton Park.

Goodison is indeed old and sad to say a bit past it's best.  which is why so many folk want us to move and indeed why we actually need to move.  We  are still not sure when we will move in all fairness but it looks as though we will be going to the riverside and building in one of the docks near to Bootle.  (check  google maps for Bramley Moore Dock

On 10/04/2018 at 23:37, rubecula said:

What you must know is the river is the RIVER MERSEY  and Merseyside is the region.  Everton and Liverpool are on the same side of the river and only separated by Stanley Park.  the REDS may also be known as REDSHITES and the fans who call themselves Kopites are often known as GOBSHITES.

PS The team on the other side of the River is Tranmere Rovers and they play at Prenton Park.

Goodison is indeed old and sad to say a bit past it's best.  which is why so many folk want us to move and indeed why we actually need to move.  We  are still not sure when we will move in all fairness but it looks as though we will be going to the riverside and building in one of the docks near to Bootle.  (check  google maps for Bramley Moore Dock

Clutch catch Rubecula, I'm actually glad you pointed that out to me so that 10 years down the road I didn't find out I'd had the geography all wrong. Like getting home and finding you had something caught in your teeth all meal but no one stepped up to tell ya. I've become hardcore about the team over the past five years, but being from across the pond am not all that familiar with the City/Region. This sets me on the right path. Cheers!

BTW...what division/league do the Tranmere Rovers find themselves in? 

Tranmere Rovers are in the National League which is the top 'non-league' in the pyramid below Division 2 of the football league. Relegations from and promotions to the football league are via the National League.  My local club, Maidenhead, are in the National League, went to see them play Tranmere Rovers earlier in the season,

6 minutes ago, johnh said:

Tranmere Rovers are in the National League which is the top 'non-league' in the pyramid below Division 2 of the football league. Relegations from and promotions to the football league are via the National League.  My local club, Maidenhead, are in the National League, went to see them play Tranmere Rovers earlier in the season,

And (continuing the geography lesson) they are on the other side of the river:).