IGNORED

Grand national

1 hour ago, MikeO said:

Used to love the National but it does nothing for me now, too many fatalities; I don't even watch anymore.

The last fatality was 2012 by my research and that year there was two. One of them, the Gold Cup winner Synchronised died when jumping the fences on his own for fun and landed awkwardly and had to be humanly put down.

37 minutes ago, Bailey said:

The last fatality was 2012 by my research and that year there was two. One of them, the Gold Cup winner Synchronised died when jumping the fences on his own for fun and landed awkwardly and had to be humanly put down.

There were 6 at Cheltenham.

2 hours ago, Finn balor said:

Just looked at favourites for the race but one outsider took my fancy. Out sam 120/1 . I think we should all lump on 

Grand National is the only bet I have during the year. Thanks for the tip Finn, will have a few quid on that - each way.

19 hours ago, Romey 1878 said:

They should start putting the jockeys down if they break a leg. Whoops, the jockeys would still be able to make money so that wouldn’t happen. My bad. 

19 hours ago, johnh said:

There were 6 at Cheltenham.

Aye and it' a great shame. The stable staff and owners loved them horses. 

19 hours ago, MikeO said:

One is too many.

Unfortunately horses die every day because of humans. Whether its in the field, on the racecourse or anywhere else for that matter. 

These horses are bred to race. They wouldn't exist otherwise. They are treated like the Premier league footballers, loved and adored by their connections and many punters/the public alike. 

There are far worsely treated horses all around the country, probably in your nearest stables where they are probably left in a field with no care and attention and some fat bint or child going to ride them out once a month while they sit there getting fat and old. Thats a far greater travesty and a racehorse having to be put down because it' more humane for them to be put down as opposed to letting them live in pain for a very slim chance of recovery.

34 minutes ago, Bailey said:

These horses are bred to race. They wouldn't exist otherwise. They are treated like the Premier league footballers, loved and adored by their connections and many punters/the public alike. 

They are bred so people can gamble. People don't "support" a horse or a stable like in other sports; they just want to find a winner. Changing your allegiance every week based on form and your ability to pocket a few quid isn'tt "loving and adoring" the nags in my book, it's loving and adoring your wallet.

9 minutes ago, Finn balor said:

My real bet is captain red beard 22/1 

And how long have you been a Captain Red Beard fan (shame on you for supporting someone with "red" in their name incidentally:mad:)? My bet is from when you put the bet on, not picking on you Finn just emphasising my point;).

10 minutes ago, Finn balor said:

By bets on but got 18/1, I know it’s bad form to back anything with red in it but like the look of it 

I actually won about 10s (50p) on Red Alligator when he came third in the Foinavon national, in my defence I was only six at the time and my dad put the bet on for me:unsure:.

On 4/12/2018 at 16:51, MikeO said:

They are bred so people can gamble. People don't "support" a horse or a stable like in other sports; they just want to find a winner. Changing your allegiance every week based on form and your ability to pocket a few quid isn'ttt "loving and adoring" the nags in my book, it's loving and adoring your wallet.

They are bred to make money essentially. I dont think the Sheiks, JP McManus', Ricci Rich's of this world buy these horses to have a gamble. Not many owners make much money from owning a racehorse, sure plenty have a gamble, but 99.9% of all connections just want to see their horse run well and come back safe.

And yes people do support a horse or a stable. Im guessing you didnt watch it, but in lthe 2016 Cheltenham festival Sprinter Sacre returned from injury to win the Champion Chase. The roar from the crowd was incredible, the commentator voice almost went at one point and you see one of the opposing jockeys 'congratulating' the horse after the line. The actual favourite, and therefore the one by your logic should get the bigger cheer becuase more money will be on him, was the one that he passed on the bend in the light blue. The trainer, who has won God knows how many big races (and my favourite trainer btw), was in tears after the race.

You cant watch this video and tell me they only care about having a bet? In the very last seconds, look at the amount of people waiting to congratulate their retiring hero.

By your logic I should be backing Everton every week to win even when I know they wont. There are plenty of times I have backed a horse because I thought it was the best horse in the race, but shouted home a different horse that is one of my favourites. In fact if Blaklion wins the National tomorrow, I will be doing just that because he is such a ballsy little horse who jumps really well and really game but I dont think he will win because I dont think he will stay the trip. Likewise I dont think Everton will win tomorrow so should that mean I shouldnt bet on Swansea?

Sure plenty people bet on horses just to have a gamble and you get some absolute cunts out there wishing for horses to fall so that theirs can win and things like that, but dont tar everyone who likes horse racing with the same brush. That might be your experience with horse racing fans, and I have seen plenty myself and unfortunately, there are more and more on course than there ever has been, but its certainly not everyone and its certainly in a minority when you get to the core supporters of racing.

Smoke and mirrors mate, there may be the odd "feel good" story but on a wet weekend at Hexham nobody gives a shit other than whether they win or not. You're citing a few incidents from the microscopic part of racing that's at the "elite" level and suggesting it transcends the whole "sport". It doesn't.

4 minutes ago, Palfy said:

Horse racing came before the Bookies and the gamblers, it wasn't the Bookies or gamblers that gave us horse racing, it's still full of owners and people who take great pleasure in working with and owning a horse or horses.

May well have done in the course of history, but we're talking about why it exists today and for what reason. Nobody's going to change my mind and I'm not going to change anybody else's so no point continuing the debate really. I've no doubt that an owner will be sad if their horse were to die tomorrow; but I've also no doubt that they'd pretty quickly get over it and buy another one.

Wikipedia quote out of interest...

"Gambling on horseraces has been one of the cornerstones of the British betting industry and the relationship between the two has historically been one of mutual dependence. The betting industry is an important funder of horse racing in Great Britain, through the betting levy administered by the Horserace Betting Levy Board and through media rights negotiated by racecourses and betting shops."

Can anyone suggest another sport (dog racing aside) where this the case?

5 minutes ago, MikeO said:

Wikipedia quote out of interest...

"Gambling on horseraces has been one of the cornerstones of the British betting industry and the relationship between the two has historically been one of mutual dependence. The betting industry is an important funder of horse racing in Great Britain, through the betting levy administered by the Horserace Betting Levy Board and through media rights negotiated by racecourses and betting shops."

Can anyone suggest another sport (dog racing aside) where this the case?

No point continuing the debate I thought you said.

Live round the corner from Aintree and was a little annoyed I hadn't won on the national in ages so went a bit overboard and picked six horses last year, and luckily 5 of them finished in the top 6. The only horse I never chose that year was Gas Line Boy. Only picked four this time round:

Valseur Lido / Virgilio / Gas Line Boy / Vieux Lion Rouge

9 minutes ago, MikeO said:

Which is why I said "out of interest" and quoted an outside source rather than expressing personal opinion.

Football is the sport that is bet on the most world wide and is now believed to be the number one sport bet on in this country, the Bookies promote gambling through football by sponsorship and live advertising. 

Sky bet make huge profits through football betting which contributes to Sky paying for their Premiere league and Championship packages, which in turn funds the club's that play in the league's.

2 minutes ago, Palfy said:

Football is the sport that is bet on the most world wide and is now believed to be the number one sport bet on in this country, the Bookies promote gambling through football by sponsorship and live advertising. 

Sky bet make huge profits through football betting which contributes to Sky paying for their Premiere league and Championship packages, which in turn funds the club's that play in the league's.

Football results don't come with starting prices though do they?  

11 hours ago, Palfy said:

Not sure what you mean, but you get a price before the game starts on the result.

It's fairly obvious.

When I say "Football results don't come with starting prices though do they?" I mean "Football results don't come with starting prices though do they?"

Certainly you can find the odds on a football match if you go looking for them at a bookmaker but they're not the raison d'être for the event happening like they are in racing.

Capture.PNG

Capture2.PNG