IGNORED

Summer Transfer Window

Aidan

Ok let's see what we have and I can add something into this as a part of a brainstorming. It will be a fantasy at the end.

Goalkeepers

Pickford, Stekelenburg, Robles

I would stick to Pickford as he has shown some signs that he can be the one here. Stek is old, don't think he'll ask for a move due to lack of first-team chances so good sub in any case. Robles is a huge disappointment, doesn't matter either he moves or stay. He can be replaced with a young GK.

Centre Backs

Keane: In my country, we have an idiom (or maybe a lay terminology) for the people like him. The boy is clever but not making any effort so he looks like a dumb. I think it fits him. Got potential, doesn't give a damn, inconsistent. Can't trust him.

Jags: Consistent, gives all he can under any circumstances. He is so old now, can't trust him again next year, good as a sub tho.

Williams: I'll not even honour him by giving a comment.

Holgate: Good as a sub, he has a potential but more as a CB than an RB.

Funes Mori: He needs a mentor who can let him focus on his skillset. In normal conditions, he is a good enough CB for Everton IMO, either as a starter or a sub.

Sign at least one proper CB.

Left Backs

Baines:  What a left back he was in his prime. He still can be useful but as a sub. Can't trust Martina or Garbutt.

Garbutt: A big question mark for me but obvious that he can't be trusted. 2nd or 3rd option.

Definitely needs a starter addition here.

Right Backs

Coleman: He is still good enough. He can handle RB as a starter.

Jonjoe Kenny: Loan him out. He needs experience.

Cuco Martina: Free transfer. He can remain in the squad as a 3rd option RB.

I would dig the market for a 2nd option RB. 27-28 years old one maybe, until Kenny develops himself as a better RB.

Defensive Midfields

Morgan:  He is not giving his 100% for a reason, don't know why but he is a good midfielder. I think he needs to be more focused than he'll start performing. He deserves at least 1 more year.

Gana: I think he has some skills but I find him a very risky option because of his lack of positioning and passing abilities. He is a living and walking example of a Pros/Cons chart. He is not the major problem of the squad so, maybe he can perform better under another manager with a different set of tactic.

Needs 3rd option, can be covered up in the squad or from the youth team.

Central Midfields:

McCarthy: Not sure when he'll be recovered from his injury but I want to see him healthy and what he can offer.

Beni: I would loan him out next year.

Davies: He has a huge potential. Loan him out to a Championship side or a lower Premier League side. He'll be way better after some years but he needs to play consistently in a challenging league.

Rooney: A good sub or he can leave. His legs are crying for help, still a passer but not enough alone.

One more experienced midfield who has stamina while youngers still developing would be great.

Attacking Midfield:

Davy: He deserves more chances. He used to be a promising one, quality. He can offer more with a better treatment.

Gylfi: One of the best players in the current squad. He'll be more effective as an Attacking Midfielders instead of Left Wing.

Left Wings:

Bolasie: Sell him for any price while you still can, probably it'll be less than what you paid but at least save some from your loss. A still living headless chicken.

Vlasic: Needs experience either as a sub or as a loaned player. I would keep him as a sub.

Lookman: Trust him, let him show what he can bring to the team. If he is not a good starter, use him as a sub.

Right Wings:

Walcott: He'll be good enough.

Sub here, please.

Strikers:

Tosun: He'll never be the 30 goals a season guy but as I mentioned in another topic, he can bang 15-20 in a season with a proper service. He is not so effective outside the box but he is good inside the box. He is good with link-up plays, he can switch positions to create surprising attacking sets. He has a skill set, it is up to the manager to use his tools. Depending on that, he can be a huge disappointment or a success.

Niasse: He can have a spark in tired opponent defenders' asses. He is definitely not a starting striker in any case but a super sub for the second halves.

DCL: Not good enough for this level yet, doubted but still hoping he'll be in the future. Loan him out for more experience.

Sandro: Bye bye darling.

Rest:

Onyekuru: I don't think he is there yet. Keep loaning him out.

Mirallas: I don't think even Olympiakos will use their buying option. Sell him whatever price. Get rid.

Besic: Not sure about him.

Galloway: Not sure about him either.

Conclusion:

Priority for me as below;

CM - CB - LB - LW

I think we have the foundations of a solid squad. More important is going to be flogging the deadwood, and there’s a lot of it. The following need to GTFO:

Maarten Stekelenburg, Ashley Williams, Phil Jagielka, Eliaquim Mangala, Cuco Martina, Luke Garbutt, Morgan Schneiderlin, Yannick Bolasie, Wayne Rooney, Kevin Mirallas

Getting rid of these players will leave us with the following base to build on:

Goalkeepers: Jordan Pickford, Joel Robles, Mateusz Hewelt

Defenders: Leighton Baines, Michael Keane, Seamus Coleman, Ramiro Funes Mori, Mason Holgate, Jonjoe Kenny, Callum Connolly

Midfielders: James McCarthy, Idrissa Gueye, Gylfi Sigurdsson, Davy Klassen, Tom Davies, Nikola Vlasic, Beni Baningime, Kieran Dowell, Mohamed Besic

Forwards: Cenk Tosun, Theo Walcott, Oumar Niasse, Dominic Calvert-Lewin, Theo Walcott, Ademola Lookman, Sandro Ramirez

As has already been said, we then need to bring in a marquee, long-term replacement for Baines at leftback. Kieran Tierney of Celtic would be ideal, but for whatever reasons that only make sense to Farhad Moshiri and Steve Walsh, we seemingly aren’t interested.

On top of that we also need a centreback of the highest standard, who will slot right into the heart of our defence. I have no idea who this could be. No names immediately spring to mind. Possibly Jonny Evans, as he’s available on the cheap, could be brought in too.

We could possibly do with another midfielder, but personally I’d like to see Mo Besic and Davy Klaasen given proper chances. A good 20-25+ first team appearances each next season.

I am also hoping that we retain Ademola Lookman and he is given the opportunity to play regularly next season. Him and Walcott on the flanks with Cenk down the middle could be the antidote. Otherwise we will need another winger. I was thinking Wilfried Zaha, but I see his head’s been turned by Man City. Another option would be Richarlison, he is a quality player and versatile.

I would also take Xherdan Shaqiri if he’s available to us.

9 minutes ago, Mordelly said:

I am also hoping that we retain Ademola Lookman and he is given the opportunity to play regularly next season. Him and Walcott on the flanks with Cenk down the middle could be the antidote. Otherwise we will need another winger. I was thinking Wilfried Zaha, but I see his head’s been turned by Man City. Another option would be Richarlison, he is a quality player and versatile.

I would also take Xherdan Shaqiri if he’s available to us.

I read Zaha is staying and wants to stay at Palace. ( infact here is the link https://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/959217/Wilfried-Zaha-speaks-out-on-his-Crystal-Palace-future-amid-Manchester-City-link ) Although I would love him at Everton.

Richarlison is a difficult one for me, showed he was decent in the first part of the season but he hasn't scored or assisted a goal since Decemeber.

Shaqiri is a pass from me, too inconsistent. Comes across as a mercenary to me.

I am not sure on Davy Klaassen. Know a lot of fans are behind him.  Personally, I have not been impressed when he has been on the pitch in the few opportunities that he has been given.  In the u23 match he played back in March in the build up to him returning to the squad, he was not the stand out player on the pitch.  Unsure if we should sell him but also unsure if the first team should be the proving ground for him either.

Hopefully the new manager will get it sorted well before the transfer window closes.  Davy won't be at the WC so hopefully he will be one of the first in the door during pre season.

4 hours ago, Makis said:

Brands should get Lozano from his soon-to-be ex-employer. Richarlison would cost a ridiculous amount, especially considering Watford are already suing us over Silva.

Lozano would be a perfect addition to the team. I agree with that. If he can bring him to the club, it can be a massive boost to the left wing.

Lookman, Vlasic and Walcott are already the most promising group of wingers we've had in my years as an Everton fan. Add one more goal threat to that mix, another proper striker with a different skill set than Tosun (i.e. pace and trickery) and I think our attack is well sorted with Gylfi/Klaassen in the middle.

A first team centerback and leftback are the absolute top two priorities. Someone who can immediately replace Baines or at least become his successor while serving as competent cover now is needed. 

We were shambolic at centerback this year, though we never really had a consistent pairing until the end with Keane and Jags - a confident and athletic centerback is needed and hopefully one of the existing centerbacks can serve as his partner. Williams needs to move on.

de Ligt is one of most sought after young players in Europe right now. He's more likely to go someplace like Barcelona.

But the nice thing is we don't really need to sign a world class player to improve that defence. No need to shell out 50+ million on one player. Any half-decent defender would be a big improvement.

Today has been a very good day for our club and I actually feel excited about football again. But let's not gloss over the fact that Brands and whoever the new manager is have got a massive rebuilding job to do. The squad as it stands is nowhere near good enough, its far inferior to what Moyes left Martinez or Martinez left Koeman. I could not disagree more with everyone who's saying 'we've got solid foundations' - we haven't, this season hasn't been the most depressing in 20 years just because of the managers, it's been because the players are simply not good enough. If we take youngsters out the equation for a moment, who I think have been hung out to dry in toxic circumstances this season - none of our centre backs are good enough, none of our central midfielders are good enough (depending on whether you count Sigurdsson as a central midfielder, and he was poor for half a season anyway), and it's still hard to judge whether Tosun will turn out to be any good because he's had such awful service since he arrived. The lack of quality is a gaping chasm, and if we expect to see better football, we're going to need big changes. 

1 hour ago, nogs said:

Today has been a very good day for our club and I actually feel excited about football again. But let's not gloss over the fact that Brands and whoever the new manager is have got a massive rebuilding job to do. The squad as it stands is nowhere near good enough, its far inferior to what Moyes left Martinez or Martinez left Koeman. I could not disagree more with everyone who's saying 'we've got solid foundations' - we haven't, this season hasn't been the most depressing in 20 years just because of the managers, it's been because the players are simply not good enough. If we take youngsters out the equation for a moment, who I think have been hung out to dry in toxic circumstances this season - none of our centre backs are good enough, none of our central midfielders are good enough (depending on whether you count Sigurdsson as a central midfielder, and he was poor for half a season anyway), and it's still hard to judge whether Tosun will turn out to be any good because he's had such awful service since he arrived. The lack of quality is a gaping chasm, and if we expect to see better football, we're going to need big changes. 

Great post 

23 minutes ago, rubecula said:

I think (and this is purely my own opinion) we let our next manager look the squad over before we get rid of or replace anyone.

If it's true that it will be Silva he'll be more than aware of who he wants to keep and who he wants to let go, and I'm sure that will have been indicated to those that need to know. Brands hasn't just happened overnight either and he'll have been told these things already as well and will, at least mentally, been coming up with ideas and solutions.

The only sticking point seems in shutting Watford up so we can get on with things officially.

2 minutes ago, Romey 1878 said:

If it's true that it will be Silva he'll be more than aware of who he wants to keep and who he wants to let go, and I'm sure that will have been indicated to those that need to know. Brands hasn't just happened overnight either and he'll have been told these things already as well and will, at least mentally, been coming up with ideas and solutions.

The only sticking point seems in shutting Watford up so we can get on with things officially.

If they have no way of getting anything out of us I would say to just ignore them, after all what can they say "we will stop playing z cars"?

We wont know the effectiveness of our squad until we know how the new manager wants us to play. 

There will be problems in respect of physicality because we are probably the weakest side in the league and potentially pace in central areas (Gana aside) but ultimately how many changes we do need or don't need won' be known until we have decided on a new manager. 

If Silva does come in then I can't see many of our current centre mids being regular starters.

Just looking at PSV players we could potentially cherry pick. I haven't watched any Dutch league football this season, so have no idea how good the following players are but according to WhoScored their top performers who could fill positions we need are:

Lozano (L/RW - 17G/8A -Rating 7.9)

Van Ginkel (MC - 14G/4A - Rating 7.51)

Josh Brent (DL - 1G/4A - Rating 7.28)

If anyone knows much about these lads any info would be appriciated, I know Lozano has been spoken about quite frequently.

Its also worth a mention that Mousa Dembele was developed under Brands at AZ Alkmaar, I have read recently there could be a possibility he is out the door at Spurs (don't believe it myself), but maybe his links with Brands could give us an edge - if the bigger boys dont come in for him first. 

As for Silva, if he joins us the better players at Watford that could fit us are seemingly:

Doucoure (CM - 7G/3A - Rating 7.00)

Richarlison (AML/C - 5G/4A - Rating - 6.84)

I'd love Doucoure, and I am not that convinced with Richalison, he is young but would command a big fee and is a huge risk.

Is there anyone else people have in mind here?