IGNORED

Summer Transfer Window

Aidan

Just been looking at our squad to see what gaps we need to fill for next season (There are many!)

Formation dependant I'd expect our 'strongest' squad to look like this next season.

First

Pickford

Coleman Jags ??? Baines

Gana ???

Walcott Sigurdsson ???

Tosun 

Reserve

Robles

Kenny Keane Funes Mori ???

Morgan ???

Vlasic Rooney Bolasi

???

In first team: CB, CDM, LW

In back up: LB, STC, CM

We could change even more of those positions but I feel like too many changes can have an adverse effect.

I'd like to see us sign a commanding CB. A first name on the team sheet centre half who can lift the whole defence with his presence. Something like what the shite have singed in VVD. 

For the first team CDM I would like to see another physical player. Someone with height, strength and pace who can also pick a pass. It's a position I feel like we've lacked in for a long time and one that we need to add to the squad. My best suggestion would be Doucouré however I'd imagine bigger boys are after him. 

I would also like to see a LW who doesn't fall over his own feet. As for Bolasi I'd like to see him stick around for at least another half of a season to see where he is at with getting back from his injury. You never know, if you stick him in a winning team with confidence is he going to be a good player for us?

We need a LB who is ready to come in and challenge Baines, someone like Shaw where if it isn'tt instant success Baines can still kick on with it and take that first team shirt. I'd suggest Shaw if he would be avalible.

We could also use a central midfielder who isn'tt useless going forward and a striker who can push Tosun on and threaten him for his place, as he seems to thrive under that kind of pressure. Maybe someone who can get in behind with their pace.

This is my opinion of course, and I would be interested to hear others. 

Most important - LB, CB, LW

we need people at all 3 that can start immediately and yet he young and for the future.  Other than that just get rid of dead wood.

Pickford

coleman ???? Mori/Keane ????

Gana

Rooney/Davies      Gylfi

walcott           Tosun         ??????

those the main players for me.  Rooney to rotate the front 2 mids.  Beni with Gana.  Vlasic and lookman to rotate the wings and niasse to spell Tosun.

gk - Pickford, robles

rb - Coleman, kenny

lb - ?????  , baines

Cb - ?????, holgate

cb - mori, keane, williams

dm - Gana, Beni, besic 

am - Gylfi, davies, rooney, klaassen

lw - ???, lookman

rw - Walcott, vlasic

f - Tosun, niasse, Sandro

sell morgan bolasie McCarthy Galloway browning, send DCL dowell onyekuru on loan.  Release stek and martina

Out of our first eleven at the minute I’d keep Pickford, Coleman, Walcott, gilfi and Tosun. That’s six first team players. A proper leader at the back and in the centre of the park. Gana is a squad player for me. I wouldn’t play two holding midfielders anymore I’d play five across the midfield like we did under Moyes. Gilfi playing the Cahill roll. Sessegnon we should be breaking the bank for. Granted he will probably go spurs but we should still be in for him. Di ligt at Ajax is an awesome ball playing centre back, offer davey back in the deal. Jonny Evans would be a cheap option alongside him. We need a genuine left sided player in midfield, Kennedy looks the part at Newcastle at the minute and we need a genuine ball player alongside a box to box midfielder. Maybe Fonseca can bring the lad from Donetsk with him. That leaves Tosun, Henry, DCL and one other to fill the forward gap. Someone like inaki Williams would do for me or someone with real pace. Clear out the crap like Williams, Keane, Morgan, besic, Bolasie, niasse, Rooney, klassen,Sandro,Martina.

1 hour ago, duncanmckenzieismagic said:

We need a huge clear out and the following need to be shipped out to the first bidder

Stek
Robles
Williams
Mori
Coco
Schniederlin
Sandro
Klaassen ( preferably loan)
Bolasie
Niasse
Garbutt
Keane

Add to that Jags,Baines and Rooney need to be used sparingly next season

Pretty much agree with all of that, tho I'd add Besic and be tempted to keep Mori, otherwise we're looking at 3 new CBs. But I agree completely, it isn'tt just the management we need to clear out, the squad is shit, we are not going to see improvement with the likes of Williams, Keane and Schneiderlin still at the club. 

I want to see Dowell and Lookman given a proper go, they are genuinely exciting at England U21 level. It boils my piss that we have genuine talent out on loan while we get served up absolute dross week in, week out by a fat cunt of a manager who will probably sell them both if he stays. Recruitment wise, we need two new athletic, pacey CBs, a midfield playmaker and leader, another striker and  back up left back. My 25 would look something like this:

GK: Pickford/Robles

RB: Coleman/Kenny   

CB: ?? / ?? / Jags / Holgate / Mori

LB: Baines / ?? 

CM: ?? / Davies / Gana / Sigurdsson / Rooney / Baningime

Wingers: Walcott / Vlasic / Lookman / Dowell

Forwards: ?? / Tosun / DCL / Onyekuru

Pickford 

Coleman ??? Mori ???

Walcott Davies ??? Vlasic

Sigurdssen 

Tosun 

If McCarthy isn'tt gonna be fit we'll another box to box to rotate with Davies. 

Out: Stek, Jags, Williams, Keane, Cuco, Gana, Schneiderlin, Sandro. 

Back up squad:

Robles 

Kenny Holgate ??? Baines 

Lookman McCarthy Besic/Beni Bolasie 

Klaassen 

Rooney/Niasse

I don’t think it’s fair to rely on Jags, Baines and Rooney for our first team next year. I’d be aiming at them to play 25 games each  for the season and get absolute quality out of them for that.

this is why we need to use these last 5 games to get an idea if these players with question marks over their heads are going to be in be plan - Mori, Klassen, Vlasic ect.

Pickford 

coleman  Keane(?) Mori(?) Kennedy/Telles

Davies                Gana

Gylfi 

Walcott              Tosun           Bernard 

Only gone Bernard because I think we will get Fonseca and he will bring him along... fingers crossed at least. I’d even look at another CM for Davies because I think he has really struggled here this year - McCarthy would have been ideal there and Morgan just doesn’t click with Gana in there.

edit: Alex Telles has 18 assists this season for Porto from left back and we should definitely be after him!

I don’t want massive changes again.  Just a few out and in and on loan and work with what we have and youngsters.  There is quality there just need some decent managing and tactics.  

Some of you posting 10 guys that need to go are mental.  That imploded this summer why do you want to do it again?

7 hours ago, markjazzbassist said:

I don’t want massive changes again.  Just a few out and in and on loan and work with what we have and youngsters.  There is quality there just need some decent managing and tactics.  

Some of you posting 10 guys that need to go are mental.  That imploded this summer why do you want to do it again?

Because we got the wrong players with the wrong manager

10 players doesn't scare me if they are the right ones

We need a focus on quality and buying to a plan rather than a scattergun purchase of 100 no10's

Pickford 

Coleman   New   New       New

New                Gana

Gylfi 

Walcott           Tosun           New 

Left is the key word!  Left footed CB, left back, left winger

7 hours ago, markjazzbassist said:

Better off without them. Some are too old (Jags/Williams), some are simply not good enough (Gana/Keane), and then there's the ones who don't suit mentally (Schneiderlin/Sandro). 

I'd not replace like for like though. We need an experienced centre half to play next to either Mori or Holgate. Most of all we need a proper midfield general. The team is so weak minded and defensively open it's embarrassing. 

1 hour ago, jofanon said:

Pickford 

Coleman   New   New       New

New                Gana

Gylfi 

Walcott           Tosun           New 

Left is the key word!  Left footed CB, left back, left winger

The hardest players to find :huh:

If we were to go for a left footed cb from the prem the best we would get is either Ake, Sakho, Ogbonna or Ben Mee. I don't know what United's stance is on parting with Rojo but he could also be an option.

As for LB we have Bertrand (hopefully if Southampton go down we could have a shout in signing him), Blind, Zeeglar, Holebas, Masuaku. 

As for a CM the only one I can think of would be Wiltshire, which I'm not keen on.

Same goes for LW, not too many options all I can think of is Atsu and Towsend.

I wouldn't mind Ben Mee or Ake and Bertrand, but other than that we may have to go abroad. 

Have I missed anyone?

I wished you’d have missed the list you give 😂 Bertrand isn’t bad but you can pick up better players abroad for a fraction of the price. I’m like you though I don’t watch loads of foreign football but there is a lack of quality in the premership in general apart from the top teams. I’m sick of buying cast offs, I want young hungry players like we’ve missed out on in the past due to lack of money. Butland, gray to name a few 

I think we will still struggle over the summer as we have far to many players that are either not good enough or getting long in the tooth so for me we'd need wholesale changes including the fringe players

Four or five first teamers and two or three lads to fill out the squad 

-----------------------Pickford

Coleman---Keane------Mawson---Bertrand

-------------Doucoure------Gana

---------------------Sigurdsson

Walcott------------Tosun-------------Lanzini

I still have faith Keane will settle and come good under the right manager and in a less disjointed side

Mawson is underrated imo and wouldn't cost the earth, a very solid left footed CB who I think would work well alongside Keane and be the more defensive of the two 

Bertrand we all know can do the job 

Doucoure has been a pivotal figure for Watford and one of the surprise players for me this season, solid box to box type with a goal in him 

Lanzini can add creativity and can cover a number of positions across the front three or in CM but has recently said he prefers playing on the left, quick creative and can add goals 

Subs - Robles Holgate Baines Kenny Bolasie Lookman Rooney

Because they are not good enough to play for the club

2 hours ago, EFC-Paul said:

I think we will still struggle over the summer as we have far to many players that are either not good enough or getting long in the tooth so for me we'd need wholesale changes including the fringe players

Four or five first teamers and two or three lads to fill out the squad 

-----------------------Pickford

Coleman---Keane------Mawson---Bertrand

-------------Doucoure------Gana

---------------------Sigurdsson

Walcott------------Tosun-------------Lanzini

I still have faith Keane will settle and come good under the right manager and in a less disjointed side

Mawson is underrated imo and wouldn't cost the earth, a very solid left footed CB who I think would work well alongside Keane and be the more defensive of the two 

Bertrand we all know can do the job 

Doucoure has been a pivotal figure for Watford and one of the surprise players for me this season, solid box to box type with a goal in him 

Lanzini can add creativity and can cover a number of positions across the front three or in CM but has recently said he prefers playing on the left, quick creative and can add goals 

Subs - Robles Holgate Baines Kenny Bolasie Lookman Rooney

I like that team Paul. Didn't think about Mawson he is a solid defender. Doucoure would be a pipe dream he is going to a bigger club I'm afraid!

Not following him up after his injury and right after Mou, he couldn't find proper chances but is Luke Shaw trash now? Couldn't he be useful? He wasn't a bad left-back during LVG era in United. He is still young and worth a look as Mou not playing him he can be captured for less than his normal price tag.

1 hour ago, Sir McGiven said:

Not following him up after his injury and right after Mou, he couldn't find proper chances but is Luke Shaw trash now? Couldn't he be useful? He wasn't a bad left-back during LVG era in United. He is still young and worth a look as Mou not playing him he can be captured for less than his normal price tag.

I don't think ability is the question it's his attitude by many accounts

If he's commited and willing to crack on then I'd have him here tbh 

We've gone backwards by trying to sprint forwards. We need to take a deep breath and reflect. As a club, we need a solid sustainable plan.

We don't have enough money to buy our way up, and we don't have any big player asset to sell in order to support those purchases. This is a key point for me. In previous years we have been able to sell a 'big' player to help bring in several others. This year, we don't. We have plenty to cast off, but no big single incoming fee. For that reason, we need to be more astute than we have been in recent windows.

If we can build a formidable squad alongside building a formidable stadium, happy days. We'll get there.

As fans, we need to be a bit patient and accept we ain't hitting any dizzy heights over night.

Personally, I still have Matt's posts in my mind from last pre season when we were snapping up all sorts. I knew myself it was overly risky but I just wanted to enjoy the spend for once. While in the back of my mind it was niggling that there were too many changes. But I wanted to keep it at the back of my mind!

For these reasons, I'm not keen on massive changes. Only essential ones. It's fair to say that more have to leave than come in such is the size of our squad. I don't believe our core squad is that bad. With the right manager, we'd do 7th easy with this lot.

I've been thinking of who I would let go for sure for a few weeks.....

Williams, Stek, Martina, Niasse, Garbutt, Mangala, Mirrallas.

The above just aren't needed and/or good enough.

Then there are a few that depend on individual circumstances, Im ok with them but there's a few 'if's and buts', bit on the fence...

Sandro, McCarthy, Besic, Robles, Morgan, Bolasie.

The rest, I'd keep and bring in a few absolute key signings rather than a load of average Joe's.

Some players might have lesser roles due to age, such as Rooney, Baines and Jags, but they'll still be worth keeping.

1 hour ago, Newty82 said:

We've gone backwards by trying to sprint forwards. We need to take a deep breath and reflect. As a club, we need a solid sustainable plan.

We don't have enough money to buy our way up, and we don't have any big player asset to sell in order to support those purchases. This is a key point for me. In previous years we have been able to sell a 'big' player to help bring in several others. This year, we don't. We have plenty to cast off, but no big single incoming fee. For that reason, we need to be more astute than we have been in recent windows.

If we can build a formidable squad alongside building a formidable stadium, happy days. We'll get there.

As fans, we need to be a bit patient and accept we ain't hitting any dizzy heights over night.

Personally, I still have Matt's posts in my mind from last pre season when we were snapping up all sorts. I knew myself it was overly risky but I just wanted to enjoy the spend for once. While in the back of my mind it was niggling that there were too many changes. But I wanted to keep it at the back of my mind!

For these reasons, I'm not keen on massive changes. Only essential ones. It's fair to say that more have to leave than come in such is the size of our squad. I don't believe our core squad is that bad. With the right manager, we'd do 7th easy with this lot.

I've been thinking of who I would let go for sure for a few weeks.....

Williams, Stek, Martina, Niasse, Garbutt, Mangala.

The above just aren't needed and/or good enough.

Then there are a few that depend on individual circumstances, Im ok with them but there's a few 'if's and buts', bit on the fence...

Sandro, McCarthy, Besic, Robles, Morgan, Bolasie.

The rest, I'd keep and bring in a few absolute key signings rather than a load of average Joe's.

Some players might have lesser roles due to age, such as Rooney, Baines and Jags, but they'll still be worth keeping.

I think you are spot on with this Newts. I first read Dunc's list and agreed fully with him because I look at that list and just think we have so much crap in the squad that we have cut lots of ties but, we seem to do this window after window at the moment and where is it getting us?

Our squad is currently (in what I suggest is their natural position):

GK: Pickford, Robles, Stek

LB: Baines

RB: Coleman, Kenny, Martina

CB: Jags, Keane, Williams, Mori, Holgate

DM: Gueye, Schneiderlin, Besic, Beni

CM: McCarthy, Davies, Rooney, Klaassen

AM: Siggy, Dowell, Vlasic

WM: Walcott, Bolasie, Lookman, Mirallas

ST: Tosun, DCL, Niasse, Sandro

We have a few other lads on loan but we wont have a clue where their futures lie so I'm going to ignore them. I dont think any of the older ones will have a future here (ie Galloway, Browning, Pennington) and whether they stay or go has no bearing on the first team. You can include Garbutt in that as well. If any of them make it, then its a bonus but we should be looking at the path of the younger ones.

I think we need to get the wrong characters out of the club first of all. I'd rather keep someone like Niasse who will give his all for the shirt than someone like Williams or Schneiderlin that would happily get themselves sent off when they have had enough.

Therefore the list starts with Williams, Schneiderlin, Sandro and Mirallas. On the cusp of that list is Martina who generally doesn't look like he gives a shit about playing football, than Everton per se.

I think Robles is out of contract which is a shame and I would expect Besic to go. But neither of these really have a bearing on the first team squad apart from warming the bench.

The rest I wouldn't really want to move on unless the right offer came in. DCL on loan would be fine, but we would need another striker in if he did. The important thing is, we need to make sure any new player is taking a first 11 position.

A left back is a must and so are some real midfielders. I'm not too fussed about wingers, I want the core right first. I'd like some physicality in midfield, at least one big physical specimen that can cover ground too and then a ball player alongside him. It will probably force Gueye, Rooney out of the starting line-up but I think that's a good thing. The ball player could be Klaassen if the new man can find the key to him.

We then also need another quality defender. Jags isnt going to be around for long, Keane has been dreadful, Mori still raises eyebrows and Id have a concern that Holgate has spent too much time around Williams. You could afford to let him go on loan assuming we play 4 at the back.

I will leave the players themselves to our scouts but they must be nailed on first teamers. No players that have done it all on big wages for their last contract, I want young, hungry, hard working players who see this as an opportunity to make a name for themselves and earn themselves a contract at one of the elite European teams.

I fear for us just looking at some of the names being thrown about on this list! 

Couple of names to throw into the hat for CM where we have huge problems - forget Wiltshire, Spurs have been rumoured today to be willing to let Dembele go in the summer. Absolute gem of a player, one of the best in possession in the Prem, proven at the top level and still only 30. Go all out for him and Lewis Cook, who will be England captain come the next World Cup, and we will have the makings of playing some football again. 

3 hours ago, nogs said:

I fear for us just looking at some of the names being thrown about on this list! 

Couple of names to throw into the hat for CM where we have huge problems - forget Wiltshire, Spurs have been rumoured today to be willing to let Dembele go in the summer. Absolute gem of a player, one of the best in possession in the Prem, proven at the top level and still only 30. Go all out for him and Lewis Cook, who will be England captain come the next World Cup, and we will have the makings of playing some football again. 

No way Spurs would let him go, any interview any spurs player is him they cannot praise him enough. Signing him would be a Barry-esq signing. Huge player