IGNORED

Summer Transfer Window

Aidan

1 hour ago, markjazzbassist said:

a competent new manager would give all those players Shukes listed a solid pre-season or more to assess them and the rest of the squad in my opinion.  i honestly don't think we need a lot, LB to replace baines and get rid of some players who want out.

Our recruitment has been dreadful for 2 years. We haven't got a squad anywhere near capable of competing for the top 6, or likely to win a domestic cup. To me that means we need considerable change. 

2 minutes ago, nogs said:

Our recruitment has been dreadful for 2 years. We haven't got a squad anywhere near capable of competing for the top 6, or likely to win a domestic cup. To me that means we need considerable change. 

the reason we had such a rough start and canned koeman was too much change and overhaul.  it would be idiotic to repeat the same action and expect a different result.

16 hours ago, Cornish Steve said:

We need only one clear-out, and that's of the manager and his assistants. Honestly, I don't believe we need wholesale changes among the players. There's a lot of talent there, especially young talent.

First, we need a team spine. That's Pickford, ANO, McCarthy, and Tosun. The ANO in this case is a key buy: a hard-nosed defender that's something of a young Vincent Kompany. Ashley WIlliams was supposed to be that person, but he needs shipping out.

Next, we need wide men. Coleman is still putting in a shift (with Kenny as backup), but Baines is sadly fading fast - so a younger replacement is needed there. Bolasie needs to go, and I'm not convinced of Walcott either. We don't need to buy, though: Lookman and Vlasic should be trusted and given their chance. So, in this area, we need a talented LB.

Backup keeper? I'd like to see Robles given a chance to become #1 elsewhere; he deserves it. Let's bring through one of our own as backup to Pickford. Who else in defence? It's difficult to know whether Funes Mori will recover completely from his injury, especially mentally, but I think we've been unfair on Holgate this season: He deserves his chance. Keane will be just fine with a different manager and a mentor beside him. It's a good time for Jagielka to join Baines in retirement.

In midfield? My vote is for Davies, Klaassen (who I believe will soon become a leader if we give him the chance), Baningime, Dowling, and Sigurdsson. I'm not convinced of Gueye, to be frank, but there's talent there. I would keep Besic, although he'll want to stay with Boro if they are promoted.

Up front, we need to invest in a proven goalscorer. Keep Niasse as super-sub, bring through Onyekuru, and loan out DC-L. 

Who should go? Many candidates are obvious: Mirallas, Williams, Schneiderlin, Martina, Mangala, Stekelenburg, Garbutt, Tarashaj, and (sadly) Rooney. I'd make the latter an assistant coach.

So, what do we need? A dominant CB, a replacement for Baines, and a proven goalscorer. Investing wisely in these three positions - together with a new manager - would make the world of difference. Finally, keep investing in young talent for the U-23s.

I look at this squad and I can't see how they are good enough to start competing with the top 6 and winning cups. Based on what we have seen this season, taking into account fitness I can only say that Pickford, Siggurdson, Coleman, Tosun and Walcott are at the level we need and in truth the jury is still somewhat out on the later depending on how focused he is. Davies is just about there too and McCarthy would be if he was fit but that's it.

There are a few players in the squad that might be at that level because they are improving  (Lookman/Vlasic/Kenny etc), could settle in under a new manager (Klaassen/Sandro etc) or might stave off decline for another season (Jags/Baines) but it's unlikely that those players will be at that level all season. Some will dovetail with each other,  some will peak and trough and managing that might ultimately determine how we do but player by player there aren' many I can say are at the level we need them to be. We need to have a 3-5 year vision for this squad so those the wrong side of 30 all need to be replaced soon.

3 minutes ago, Newty82 said:

A lot going on once this season is finished. New CEO. Potential new DoF. Potential new Manager.

All I ask is that it is planned and executed properly.

No more cock ups. Get us back on track, looking forward again. That would mean more to me than any (most!) player transfers.

That hits the nail on the head.

3 hours ago, Quinn31 said:

Would take Charlie Austin from Southampton if they went down, though he is probably too much of a like for like with Tosun. We could use a center-forward with some pace and dribbling ability (Niasse lacking the dribbling bit).

Signing a competent centerback and a replacement for Baines are the most important transfers of the summer. Think both Baines and Jags will be in the squad for at least one more year though, though we can't rely on either. I thought Holgate looked composed, so I'd like to see Williams move on and maybe Funes Mori.

Convincing Lookman to stay is crucial, and Vlasic will need to be evaluated in the summer - I've not sure he's earned "a shot". Would love to move on Bolasie though and wouldn't rule out buying a winger. 

Joel Robles needs to leave the club for the sake of his own career and we need to bring in another backup - Stek could hang for another year since he's at the stage of his career where being cover isn'ttt a bad thing.

Besic should leave also for his own career. Too many managers have not rated him for him to stay as 5th or 6th central midfielder - if this loan spell has kicked the dust off his game, then let him fight for his chance.

Steve - who is Dowling? Also think Onyekuru is having continued work permit issues. Not sure he'll ever wear our shirt.

I meant Dowell. Sorry. 

15 minutes ago, Bailey said:

I look at this squad and I can't see how they are good enough to start competing with the top 6 and winning cups. Based on what we have seen this season, taking into account fitness I can only say that Pickford, Siggurdson, Coleman, Tosun and Walcott are at the level we need and in truth the jury is still somewhat out on the later depending on how focused he is. Davies is just about there too and McCarthy would be if he was fit but that's it.

There are a few players in the squad that might be at that level because they are improving  (Lookman/Vlasic/Kenny etc), could settle in under a new manager (Klaassen/Sandro etc) or might stave off decline for another season (Jags/Baines) but it's unlikely that those players will be at that level all season. Some will dovetail with each other,  some will peak and trough and managing that might ultimately determine how we do but player by player there aren' many I can say are at the level we need them to be. We need to have a 3-5 year vision for this squad so those the wrong side of 30 all need to be replaced soon.

That hits the nail on the head.

based on what?  being a blue?  he's been awful this year full stop.

7 minutes ago, MikeO said:

But you still have him in your avatar:P.

yeah i want the best for him and am practically wishing him to come good but i'm not blinding by him being a homegrown player.  i'm being objective about his season.  i want nothing more than worldie davies, truly.  just sadly he's way off that.  hence my wondering which davies bailey is watching, maybe the one for spurs.

15 minutes ago, markjazzbassist said:

based on what?  being a blue?  he's been awful this year full stop.

He has been our best midfielder by far this season. It's not exactly hard but he is the closest one. If he had to play the whole of next season, it wouldn't worry me. 

36 minutes ago, markjazzbassist said:

the reason we had such a rough start and canned koeman was too much change and overhaul.  it would be idiotic to repeat the same action and expect a different result.

Thats far too simplistic. Whilst I don' necessarily disagree with it being a part of our problems this season, how many have actually played any regular football? Most of the season it's been the same old faces and in the second half of the season, where we have just about been better, we have played more new players than we did when we were really bad. 

I think we need to try and get back to the Moyes way of 1 or 2 out and 3 or 4 in but this time selling the deadwood rather than our best players.

1 minute ago, Bailey said:

He has been our best midfielder by far this season. It's not exactly hard but he is the closest one. If he had to play the whole of next season, it wouldn't worry me. 

Thats far too simplistic. Whilst I don' necessarily disagree with it being a part of our problems this season, how many have actually played any regular football? Most of the season it's been the same old faces and in the second half of the season, where we have just about been better, we have played more new players than we did when we were really bad. 

I think we need to try and get back to the Moyes way of 1 or 2 out and 3 or 4 in but this time selling the deadwood rather than our best players.

wow, we all truly do see the game differently.  he's looked completely lost and gone missing in all but maybe 2 games that i can remember.  little to no impact.  i was ready to crown him king of goodison after last year (lookman too) but both were well off it this year for me.  lookman's done ok in germany but that's a weak league.  i hope a new setup will rejuvenate everyone and well get the davies of his first year, i really do.

I can’t see how Davies has been our best midfielder. I’ve been dissapointed with him but I think it’s not just him. He will come good in the long run. It would have been nice to see him and Barkley build a solid scouse midfield but it wasn’t to be. We need a clear out. I’m not a great watcher of European football but just on clubs going down I’d be all over ward prowse at Southampton. 

7 minutes ago, Finn balor said:

I can’t see how Davies has been our best midfielder. I’ve been dissapointed with him but I think it’s not just him. He will come good in the long run. It would have been nice to see him and Barkley build a solid scouse midfield but it wasn’t to be. We need a clear out. I’m not a great watcher of European football but just on clubs going down I’d be all over ward prowse at Southampton. 

Who has been better? 

I love the fact he's a homegrown blue but that aside I'm not sold on the lad tbh 

Plods through the majority of most games doing very little and goes missing far to often 

Decent enough young player but I just don't see the potential for much growth, he'll end up a similar type to Ward Prowse in time imo and he's not the type of player you'd want in a side looking to improve

Bench player for me 

4 hours ago, markjazzbassist said:

wow, we all truly do see the game differently.  he's looked completely lost and gone missing in all but maybe 2 games that i can remember.  little to no impact.  i was ready to crown him king of goodison after last year (lookman too) but both were well off it this year for me.  lookman's done ok in germany but that's a weak league.  i hope a new setup will rejuvenate everyone and well get the davies of his first year, i really do.

Our best midfielder this season has been Rooney. Sums it all up in my opinion. 

4 hours ago, 12ubb3rduck3y said:

Our best midfielder this season has been Rooney. Sums it all up in my opinion. 

The same Rooney who 90% of this forum are of the opinion that  ...  His Legs have gone and he's too slow .... He loses or gives the ball away too often .... Is on mega money and is a very expensive cheerleader. (Haf) 

I can't agree with your post, one decent game in every five didn't add up to our  "best midfielder".

15 hours ago, markjazzbassist said:

It's not idiotic to replace players who are not good enough. It wasnt too much change that got us in the shit, it was signing poor players and being led by a poor manager. 

First off Sig has been our best midfielder this season, started slow but then showed what a good asset he is with the goals and assists.

Secondly the first change has to be the Management staff. Bin them all off. Second of all bin Elstone and Kenwright off. Throw Steve Walsh out whilst we are at it. bring the fella from PSV in and hire a manager who isn'tt anything like chippy tits.

In terms of players, it will all depend of the style and formation of football the manager we have next season plays. The left side of our team needs improving so that should be the main focus. LB, left footed CB, LW. Another striker wouldn't be too bad either. I'd say only 5 first teamers will be needed. we don't want too many players and making the squad unbalanced again.

As for the outs I expect to see Robles, Steks, Garbutt, Besic, Browning, Galloway, Pennington and Mirallas all leave. I wouldn't be bothered (and on some hope) if Bolasie, Rooney, Mori, Niasse, Williams and Martina all left also. I'd send Beni, Dowell and Henry out on loan.

DCL I think could do with another season with us, if he doesn't kick on then a loan spell else where. Klassen needs to be given a chance but I think he might go. Jags I can see retiring. Baines will have one more season. Hopefully Lookman doesn't leave, vlassic needs another season. Keane with the right CB partnership could become good, next season is make or break for him. Morgan I think will leave but his recent "shop window" performances show he is good enough, as is Gana (most tackles in the prem this season again).

14 hours ago, c1982 said:

Gana has been more consistent, Gylfi has been the stand-out midfielder in my opinion and I’d say Rooney has had more important performances than Davies. I’ve been disappointed with Davies this season but am not writing him off because I’m still a big fan.

I'd agree with Gylfi actually and in my OP I mentione he was clearly at the level we need. Davies therefore is best of the rest. 

I really don' agree with Gana. He has only been one rung above Schneiderlin in the poor man's stakes but I know people see him differentry, as they do Davies. He is a level above in terms of overall ability and at least Davies gives a shit. 

Rooney may have had a couple of big performances but his worst ones have been a level below that of Gana and Schneiderlin. I would only ever pick Rooney ahead of Davies in certain games, mainly easy games where he can control the game and play without any real pressure. Given that most games this season have been a struggle, Davies would definitely get the shout more often.

Davies has had a tough season but when we were at our lowest he was still the one getting through the work, dragging us up the pitch and putting in challenges.  Bar Siggy, he has by far the brightest future under a proper footballing manager.

6 hours ago, Bailey said:

I'd agree with Gylfi actually and in my OP I mentione he was clearly at the level we need. Davies therefore is best of the rest. 

I really don' agree with Gana. He has only been one rung above Schneiderlin in the poor man's stakes but I know people see him differentry, as they do Davies. He is a level above in terms of overall ability and at least Davies gives a shit. 

Rooney may have had a couple of big performances but his worst ones have been a level below that of Gana and Schneiderlin. I would only ever pick Rooney ahead of Davies in certain games, mainly easy games where he can control the game and play without any real pressure. Given that most games this season have been a struggle, Davies would definitely get the shout more often.

Davies has had a tough season but when we were at our lowest he was still the one getting through the work, dragging us up the pitch and putting in challenges.  Bar Siggy, he has by far the brightest future under a proper footballing manager.

I don’t see him differently just for the record Bailey 👍😆

20 hours ago, 12ubb3rduck3y said:

I’m not to fussed if we finish 8th again next season as long as it’s not as terrible to watch and we actually look like improving. 

This. I don't think there are a few signings in the world or a new manager that can take us to the 65-70 point mark and actually challenge the top 6 by the end of next season, but I would like to see a clear identity, plan, and players who buy into it and give everything through the shirt - whether it's through solidarity and midfield/defensive grit under Dyche, or attacking flair and creativity under Howe/Fonseca.

Confidence is the key. At the end of the day it’s football. Good players or top players don’t need to know how each other play. They are just that good they can just play. We need a reboot. First eleven players brought in we have enough squad players. Mahrez would be a dream signing for me 

Pickford

coleman      Holgate.   Smalling.      Tierney

Dacoure

walcott.        Gilfi.          Fred.         Lookman

Tosun

subs

keane,Baines,vlasic,gana,etc

we need a centre half I’ve put smalling in there but it could be Evans or a foreign centre back. Left back I would be happy with shaw or chilwell. Sell Morgan and bring in dacoure. Vlasic and lookman competing on the left and Fred as our number ten alongside gilfi. We need another goalscorer as back up for cenk. I’d have a proper clear out and just have a strong squad of 20-21 players