Sign in to follow this  
Aidan

Summer Transfer Window

6 hours ago, MikeO said:

China would be a possibility if someone offered him enough, not really bothered by a fee just get him off the wage bill. 

China hasn’t crossed my mind but it could be a great path for some of our players that are clearly focused on financial benefits. I agree with above, clearing wages is a must so we kind of have to take what fee we can get.

Mostly just hoping to see some heavy dead wood and wage shifting, then bringing some youngsters through.

That said, Luka Jovic would be the (now unrealistic) ideal striker target.  Fulham could also be worth raiding, if some bargains can be had.  I still like Seri and Mitrovic would be a good fallback striker/Tosun replacement.  Sessegnon would be way too expensive and not an area of need, unless Richarlison gets sold.

1 hour ago, DownUnderToff said:

Mostly just hoping to see some heavy dead wood and wage shifting, then bringing some youngsters through.

That said, Luka Jovic would be the (now unrealistic) ideal striker target.  Fulham could also be worth raiding, if some bargains can be had.  I still like Seri and Mitrovic would be a good fallback striker/Tosun replacement.  Sessegnon would be way too expensive and not an area of need, unless Richarlison gets sold.

Was thinking about mitrovic the other day. In terms of raiding Premier league clubs I think he may be the most viable option, or would people rather take a risk on an upcoming striker from abroad? 

4 hours ago, Aidan said:

Was thinking about mitrovic the other day. In terms of raiding Premier league clubs I think he may be the most viable option, or would people rather take a risk on an upcoming striker from abroad? 

Price dependant.  Picking him up for Tosun sale money would be decent business.

16 hours ago, DownUnderToff said:

yeah i'd take both of them for sure.  probably decently cheap and mitrovic has proven (unlike cenk) that he can score regularly in the premier league.  i haven't watched a lot of him to see what attributes he has (big?  pacy?  technical?) but we need strikers that can score.  Can he also play on the right or left?

16 hours ago, Aidan said:

Excellent option. I would have him in a snap. Perfect playerfor is. But I would imagine he would command a hefty fee.

1 hour ago, markjazzbassist said:

yeah i'd take both of them for sure.  probably decently cheap and mitrovic has proven (unlike cenk) that he can score regularly in the premier league.  i haven't watched a lot of him to see what attributes he has (big?  pacy?  technical?) but we need strikers that can score.  Can he also play on the right or left?

One of the premierships hidden talents. Very strong, good pace, powerful shot, decent in the air. I’m surprised he isn’t already at one of the big boys.

Always been impressed when watching him.

2 hours ago, Aidan said:

Think 6 of his 10 have been headed goals, not sure how good he is with his feet finishing 

Me neither, but weve got players who can provide good deliveries in to the box for him, also has a bit of "nasty" in him which were short of at the moment.

28 minutes ago, Wiggytop said:

Me neither, but weve got players who can provide good deliveries in to the box for him, also has a bit of "nasty" in him which were short of at the moment.

Agreed, Digne and Siggy aiming for his head would be a dream. 

5 hours ago, markjazzbassist said:

he's only 24, was he shit for newcastle just because they were so bad back then?  the more i read about him the more i like.  i wonder if fulham would try and hold us hostage for him.

Would be hoping that some of the Fulham players have the ol'relegation get out clause.

As for playing left/right, pretty sure he's pure CF (although could be wrong).

55 minutes ago, DownUnderToff said:

Would be hoping that some of the Fulham players have the ol'relegation get out clause.

As for playing left/right, pretty sure he's pure CF (although could be wrong).

Joining from Newcastle to newly promoted Fulham you'd have thought he would have such a clause, wouldn't you? 

13 hours ago, Shukes said:

One of the premierships hidden talents. Very strong, good pace, powerful shot, decent in the air. I’m surprised he isn’t already at one of the big boys.

Always been impressed when watching him.

This the same lad who played for Newcastle last year? Because that lad was awful!

On 08/03/2019 at 05:48, Matt said:

This the same lad who played for Newcastle last year? Because that lad was awful!

Yes it is Matt. He looks much better this time round. Could be he needed time to settle over here.

1 hour ago, Shukes said:

Yes it is Matt. He looks much better this time round. Could be he needed time to settle over here.

Could be, and I’ve not watched him since he was at Newcastle. He was truly awful there, although did work hard 

Apparently spurs are in for mitrovic but being quoted £50 mill??? I’d be looking to move on Leighton, jags stek, Galloway one of McCarthy or Morgan niasse and cenk and of any takers would have him walcott. Obviously there is others like Pennington, Ramires etc but they would be my main ones. I like the right back at Norwich sign Gomes and hopefully Henry will get his work permit. I’d like to sign Zouma but with Chelsea’s transfer ban I can’t see it. Could holgate step in there? Maybe. Hopefully a couple of brands diamonds will be the others 

Said it before and I will say it again, losing Baines and Jags would be absolutely terrible for the squad. There is a lot to be said for having lads with the right character in the club. People talk about the attitudes of Pickford, Richarlison, Walcott, Schneiderlin, Lookman, no one does about these two though. We need that positivity. 

1 hour ago, StevO said:

Said it before and I will say it again, losing Baines and Jags would be absolutely terrible for the squad. There is a lot to be said for having lads with the right character in the club. People talk about the attitudes of Pickford, Richarlison, Walcott, Schneiderlin, Lookman, no one does about these two though. We need that positivity. 

How did the defence look against Liverpool with sold man Jags at the back?

59 minutes ago, Shukes said:

How did the defence look against Liverpool with sold man Jags at the back?

I think you’ve misread what I said, if you look back I wrote squad. I don’t expect them to be any more than squad players.

Anyone who works in a team surely understands that having good people makes a huge difference. Finding good people who are happy to sit on the side lines and still be a positive influence day to day is even harder. 

1 hour ago, StevO said:

I think you’ve misread what I said, if you look back I wrote squad. I don’t expect them to be any more than squad players.

Anyone who works in a team surely understands that having good people makes a huge difference. Finding good people who are happy to sit on the side lines and still be a positive influence day to day is even harder. 

I think you've missed Shukes' irony Ste (not helped by the misplaced "s" when he meant old rather than sold). I could be wrong though.

4 hours ago, StevO said:

Sorry I didn’t mean it that way, I was agreeing with you.

Just having Jags there as an influence and organiser helped the team in my opinion. Having those two experienced players on the squad and ready to be called upon is important for me. 

My commwnt was more of a nod of agreement with you 🙂

3 hours ago, MikeO said:

I think you've missed Shukes' irony Ste (not helped by the misplaced "s" when he meant old rather than sold). I could be wrong though.

Haha I am one of the worst on here for Grammar.

4 hours ago, Shukes said:

Sorry I didn’t mean it that way, I was agreeing with you.

Just having Jags there as an influence and organiser helped the team in my opinion. Having those two experienced players on the squad and ready to be called upon is important for me. 

My commwnt was more of a nod of agreement with you 🙂

I’m used to being shot down for wanting old players to stick around haha sorry mate. 

There aren’t enough players of their quality and influence around anymore for me, especially ones who will play second fiddle and not rock the boat. 

Zouma and Gomes will hopefully be signed. Gomes was quality yesterday. Apparently they are optimistic about Henry’s work permit and Vlasic will be brought back to provide competition for Gilfi. The lad at Lille is being targeted and I can see another forward coming in. So hopefully we can get rid of Sandro, mirrallas, niasse, Morgan,McCarthy, Cenk and can see jags and Baines going aswell 

Yep, clearing out that dead wood will be the clubs first priority, then completing the signing of Gomes and maybe Zouma.

Gomes for me has looked a different level to the rest, the way he picks the ball up and can move it around, shields it brilliantly and has both the ability to bomb forward with it, play a good pass or get stuck in with a tackle.  Not only does he have that Barca midfield quality, he is bigger and stronger than most of them!  If we can get him and he’s keen we have to sign him.

i think Gana benefits from having him there to.

would be good if we could get gana to sign a new contract and stay but I’m not too confident on it.  Hopefully a strong end to the season and signing of Gomes would convince him we’re worth sticking with.

I don’t think we need masses of signings but as Lookman doesn’t seem to be getting a look in and Theo is a bit shit we need a right winger.  Think Richarlison should continue on that side though.

hopefully Henry can do it for us in the prem but would we be confident with a just a combination of him and DCL?  Richarlison in emergencies.  

DCL

Malcolm   Bernard    Charlie

Gomes     Gana 

Digne    Keane  Zouma   Wan-Bissaka

Pickford 

Unlikely I guess - that’s £140-150m of spend.

Lookman, Walcott and all the players out of loan out (excluding Holgate, Vlasic and Henry).  Not sure what can be recouped there - probably not a lot

Would like to see Virgina step up to the 1st team on the bench.

1 hour ago, FairWooney said:

Yep, clearing out that dead wood will be the clubs first priority, then completing the signing of Gomes and maybe Zouma.

Gomes for me has looked a different level to the rest, the way he picks the ball up and can move it around, shields it brilliantly and has both the ability to bomb forward with it, play a good pass or get stuck in with a tackle.  Not only does he have that Barca midfield quality, he is bigger and stronger than most of them!  If we can get him and he’s keen we have to sign him.

i think Gana benefits from having him there to.

would be good if we could get gana to sign a new contract and stay but I’m not too confident on it.  Hopefully a strong end to the season and signing of Gomes would convince him we’re worth sticking with.

I don’t think we need masses of signings but as Lookman doesn’t seem to be getting a look in and Theo is a bit shit we need a right winger.  Think Richarlison should continue on that side though.

hopefully Henry can do it for us in the prem but would we be confident with a just a combination of him and DCL?  Richarlison in emergencies.  

We don't need Gana to sign a new contract. He's only just signed one so if we don't want to sell him then we just don't.

43 minutes ago, Gwlad all over said:

Do you not think that given Gomes' recent form that Barca won't want to sell? Or worse one o the 'Big' boys will come in for him? Plus side is that he seems very happy here.

Very little change barca will keep him, he doesn't get on with the Messiah. Biggest worry would be the teams above us, all of them could do with him. 

1 hour ago, Gwlad all over said:

Do you not think that given Gomes' recent form that Barca won't want to sell? Or worse one o the 'Big' boys will come in for him? Plus side is that he seems very happy here.

they need to get rid.  they are so crowded at midfield they are talking about getting rid of Rakitic, and he's a starter for them!  Gomes will be sold.

20 hours ago, jofanon said:

DCL

Malcolm   Bernard    Charlie

Gomes     Gana 

Digne    Keane  Zouma   Wan-Bissaka

Pickford 

Unlikely I guess - that’s £140-150m of spend.

Lookman, Walcott and all the players out of loan out (excluding Holgate, Vlasic and Henry).  Not sure what can be recouped there - probably not a lot

Would like to see Virgina step up to the 1st team on the bench.

Good average age to that team. Wan-Bissaka is looking at costing a mint. Would like to have Zouma/Gomes sign but Malcom on loan with view to buy @25-30m. 

Add in this young striker from Lille and I’m prettt happy there.

18 hours ago, Gwlad all over said:

Barca will just up his price if anything, and hopefully we are his chosen destination. However if a couple of CL teams come sniffing (Spurs) then it's probably game over.

8 minutes ago, Aidan said:

Barca will just up his price if anything, and hopefully we are his chosen destination. However if a couple of CL teams come sniffing (Spurs) then it's probably game over.

I’m not convinced he’ll go elsewhere, I think he’s genuinely settled here judging on his actions off the pitch and he knows he’s loved here. Whether that’s enough to keep him happy is another thing 

8 hours ago, Matt said:

I’m not convinced he’ll go elsewhere, I think he’s genuinely settled here judging on his actions off the pitch and he knows he’s loved here. Whether that’s enough to keep him happy is another thing 

Throw CL football at him and his head might turn. I Hope not though 

3 minutes ago, Aidan said:

Throw CL football at him and his head might turn. I Hope not though 

like Brands said though some players just want to play, like Digne, that's why Everton was attractive to him, he could play the game he loves every week.  Could be the same for Gomes, also the Portuguese speakers here could be beneficial.

19 minutes ago, markjazzbassist said:

like Brands said though some players just want to play, like Digne, that's why Everton was attractive to him, he could play the game he loves every week.  Could be the same for Gomes, also the Portuguese speakers here could be beneficial.

Fingers crossed mate

If we want to close the gap on the top 6 we need the likes of Gomes. Add in bernard who I think is starting to show what he is about - Richarlison/DCL better with age, there’s a few reasons for optimism.

Any players u would have from the relegated teams? There’s a lad at Huddersfield who they signed from charlton in January that looks decent. From Fulham sessegnon but not sure If we are desperate for left sided players. Mitrovic is strong but maybe hasn’t the mobility brands has spoken about that he likes. Burnley or Cardiff? I’d take any of their keepers from Burnley 

58 minutes ago, Finn balor said:

Any players u would have from the relegated teams? There’s a lad at Huddersfield who they signed from charlton in January that looks decent. From Fulham sessegnon but not sure If we are desperate for left sided players. Mitrovic is strong but maybe hasn’t the mobility brands has spoken about that he likes. Burnley or Cardiff? I’d take any of their keepers from Burnley 

Heaton is knocking on now at 30 so that's a maybe,  Pope yes, Hart most defiantly not!

Billings had a good start to the season but seems to have tailed off, Mooy possibly Huddersfields best player, not sure if he's right for us though.

Mitrovic at the right price, no more than £20m, no one else impresses me enough to consider.

Sessegnon (spelling?) would be great. We don’t have enough left footed players, he is full of potential. I’m sure he’ll end up signing for Spurs. 

7 hours ago, Makis said:

So would he play instead of Digne at LB or instead of Bernard/Richarlison as LW?

He's been playing on the wing for most of the season. Walcott off and Sessesgnon rotating with Bernard on the left and Richarlison/Lookman on the right?

12 hours ago, Makis said:

So would he play instead of Digne at LB or instead of Bernard/Richarlison as LW?

It’s a squad game. For me we need four wingers, play the two in the best form. 

2 hours ago, StevO said:

It’s a squad game. For me we need four wingers, play the two in the best form. 

But a youngster with so much potential wouldn’t come to play second fiddle, and neither would Digne.

I wouldn’t like him at left back anyway, from what I’ve seen he would be more useful at left wing. So far none of our wingers have played the same position each week, so having four of them would be fine. No one has to play second fiddle. The very nature of wingers often sees them in and out of form, there aren’t many who are consistent for a full season.