Sign in to follow this  
Aidan

Summer Transfer Window

Sort of off-topic but perhaps Walsh wasn't that bad?

Good

Gana, Lookman, DCL, Pickford, Keane, Gylfi, Vlasic, Rooney

Indifferent

Stek, Valencia, Mangala, Martina, Walcott, Tosun

Bad

Williams, Schneiderlin, Bolasie, Klaassen

I said Vlasic good because we're going to sell him for more than we bought him for. Walcott and Tosun indifferent because we can probably get back a decent chunk of the transfer fees in transfers and they have played well enough to justify the difference. And i really don't like Walcott. 

2 minutes ago, AlbanyNYToffee said:

Sort of off-topic but perhaps Walsh wasn't that bad?

Good

Gana, Lookman, DCL, Pickford, Keane, Gylfi, Vlasic, Rooney

Indifferent

Stek, Valencia, Mangala, Martina, Walcott, Tosun

Bad

Williams, Schneiderlin, Bolasie, Klaassen

I said Vlasic good because we're going to sell him for more than we bought him for. Walcott and Tosun indifferent because we can probably get back a decent chunk of the transfer fees in transfers and they have played well enough to justify the difference. And i really don't like Walcott. 

yeah i think walsh will end up with a net positive although i think rooney was indifferent for me.  Walsh's issue was the high wages which isn'tt factored into this.  You're missing sandro as a bad.  Martinez was a net loss (i calculated this a while back i'm too lazy to look).  Moyes was a net positive.

He couldn't build a squad or a team. This is first priority. You also left out Martina. Sigurdsson was way too expensive for what he produces and we'll make a loss on him when he moves on.

Using Transfermarkt values he spent 289 million euros on 16 players. So far we have recouped 13.5m (from Klaassen). Brands will do an extremely good job if he gets 100 million for Gana, Lookman, Vlasic, Walcott, Tosun and Schneiderlin. 30, 20, 15, 10, 10 and 10 = 95m maybe?

190 million for DCL, Pickford, Keane and Gylfi is an awful lot of money. You can optimistically increase the price of the outgoing players but you'd still not get anywhere near a sum that would make that quartet worth the outlay. I don't think I'm that far off. Gana is 30, Lookman has promise but not much more (even in Germany he was mostly a sub) and Vlasic has interest from Russia, they are not going to pay much more than that. And we should really also count the wages.

And I'm not even sure if Walsh bought DCL. Was he bought by the first team or reserves?

Unsworth wasn't it? Remember something mentioned about Unsworth having close ties to the Sheffield clubs. 

Rare bit of credit to Koeman for putting him the first team straight away. 

1 hour ago, markjazzbassist said:

the closer we get i think the rumor/worry of the summer will be does Gana stay or leave.  Lots of outgoings hopefully, some small incomings but gana is a massive player for us, it could make or break silva's next campaign.

Be the difference between us challenging the top 6 or not. 

Can’t see us getting Neres but I think we will definitely in for him then there’s the lad at Lille. Hopefully a Bournemouth will take Walcott. If jags wants to play more games than he does for us clubs will be lining up for him. Be interesting to see who we have lined up at centre back if Zouma doesn’t stay. 

16 hours ago, pete0 said:

Be the difference between us challenging the top 6 or not. 

I disagree. Even if he leaves, it’s about who and how we replace him.

With the right signing, we could improve the team further. It’s up to Brands to step in and make it work.

18 minutes ago, Shukes said:

With the right signing, we could improve the team further. It’s up to Brands to step in and make it work.

Think Pete was being Pete and implying that if we keep him we won't challenge for top 6.

I like gana a lot. He is great at what he does but if a sensible price is made and he wants to leave then I’d give him my best. I’d love us to be in for Declan rice or the lad at Lyon is it? To replace him. I’m sure brands has people lined up 

Pickford

wan Bissaka/aarons Keane  Zouma  Digne 

Gomes  gana/rice 

charly                Bernard.          Neres

Henry/ DCL 

sold/ released: Pennington, Galloway, Baines, Morgan, besic, garbutt, Walcott, Sandro, tosun, niasse, Mirallas 

13 minutes ago, Finn balor said:

What would be everyone’s ideal starting eleven for next season realistically speaking? No messi’s or Ronnies please 

If we keep playing like we are I'd be quite happy to see our current first choice line-up starting. Repeating what's been said many times; clear out the dead wood, we all pretty much agree on who they are so no need to name them. We'd need to get Gomes signed obviously and hopefully (but not quite so importantly) Zouma as well, then get some quality for the bench including a proven striker. We don't need major surgery on the basis of recent performances, just a few keyhole procedures.

I think your right. Coleman is coming back to form. Deffo we need Gomes and I think Zouma is equally important in my opinion. If we clear the dead wood, get vlasic and Henry I would be happy with another two signings. Sprinkle a couple of young lads into the mix from the under 23’s and we will be good to go 

42 minutes ago, Finn balor said:

I’d love us to be in for Declan rice or the lad at Lyon is it?

Personally I don't get the current Declan Rice hype, I think it's media led; admittedly I don't watch a lot of West Ham but he was nowhere to be seen when we won there the other week. Don't know who you're referring to at Lyon but I see even less of them so I'd have no idea. Gana is proven premier league class in the opinion of (almost) everyone so it's not broke so don't try to fix it. PSG may come back and others might sniff as well but he's under contract so I'd either say he's not for sale or put a daft number on him.

3 hours ago, Shukes said:

Mate I think he was being sarcastic but I could be wrong he may have sub stained a  hefty blow to the head 🤷‍♂️

41 minutes ago, MikeO said:

If we keep playing like we are I'd be quite happy to see our current first choice line-up starting. Repeating what's been said many times; clear out the dead wood, we all pretty much agree on who they are so no need to name them. We'd need to get Gomes signed obviously and hopefully (but not quite so importantly) Zouma as well, then get some quality for the bench including a proven striker. We don't need major surgery on the basis of recent performances, just a few keyhole procedures.

this for me, gomes bought and bring Henry back and Vlasic if they want him, and just focus on getting rid.  i like the lineup and think players like DCL Bernard Richarlison will only get better this offseason.

22 minutes ago, MikeO said:

Personally I don't get the current Declan Rice hype, I think it's media led; admittedly I don't watch a lot of West Ham but he was nowhere to be seen when we won there the other week. Don't know who you're referring to at Lyon but I see even less of them so I'd have no idea. Gana is proven premier league class in the opinion of (almost) everyone so it's not broke so don't try to fix it. PSG may come back and others might sniff as well but he's under contract so I'd either say he's not for sale or put a daft number on him.

Rice was effectively Gana'd against us with his teammate running round like a mad man leaving him twice the job. Looked similar to the Schneiderlin nightmare games for us. 

Gana has proven to be a class below what we already had. We've stepped backwards from the Barry McCarthy partnership, just a cameo from McCarthy last season showed us how big the gap is. Positioning, bite, and passing. Gana leaving would be the best thing for the club, easily replaced with someone like Mooy at Huddersfield. 

6 minutes ago, pete0 said:

Rice was effectively Gana'd against us with his teammate running round like a mad man leaving him twice the job. Looked similar to the Schneiderlin nightmare games for us. 

Gana has proven to be a class below what we already had. We've stepped backwards from the Barry McCarthy partnership, just a cameo from McCarthy last season showed us how big the gap is. Positioning, bite, and passing. Gana leaving would be the best thing for the club, easily replaced with someone like Mooy at Huddersfield. 

I think Mooy would be a good signing whether he’s what we want to replace Gana not sure, but he has good ability and a good engine I could see him stepping in to replace Gylfi or Gomes when required. 

6 minutes ago, markjazzbassist said:

after reading about brands main man steinar i'm expecting some League 1 players to be bought up.  it worked with lookman and DCL, just skip the championship altogether, better price for League 1 players.

Maybe to develop for the future or sell on but not to step into the team now, we need a couple of players to step into the team now to keep the progression and momentum, you cannot stand still you have to keep improving the team with a couple of new signings each season, buying 6 or 7 average players each season like we’ve done in the past is counter productive. 

15 minutes ago, Palfy said:

Maybe to develop for the future or sell on but not to step into the team now, we need a couple of players to step into the team now to keep the progression and momentum, you cannot stand still you have to keep improving the team with a couple of new signings each season, buying 6 or 7 average players each season like we’ve done in the past is counter productive. 

that's exactly what i meant.

26 minutes ago, Palfy said:

I think Mooy would be a good signing whether he’s what we want to replace Gana not sure, but he has good ability and a good engine I could see him stepping in to replace Gylfi or Gomes when required. 

For me he's a box to box which is essentially what Gana is, just that Gana does it backwards. When he have the ball he runs back, and when we don't he runs forward. He'd replace Gana's energy but add more conviction in his tackling as he's got more bite to him. 

13 minutes ago, pete0 said:

For me he's a box to box which is essentially what Gana is, just that Gana does it backwards. When he have the ball he runs back, and when we don't he runs forward. He'd replace Gana's energy but add more conviction in his tackling as he's got more bite to him. 

Well if things develop as the press think we will need someone to replace him, do be honest I’ve never really noticed Mooy as a ball winner I have admired his possession of the ball rarely gives it away, also his football ability and like you said never stops running also he’s got an eye for a goal with an accurate shot. 

I know a lot on here thought Gana was top class against Arsenal I thought like most of the press he was average, he did some good things but out weighed them with some poor things, so Mooy why not I don’t think he would be any worse and when he shoots it doesn’t go out for throw in😀

5 hours ago, Romey 1878 said:

Think Pete was being Pete and implying that if we keep him we won't challenge for top 6.

I know mate, was trying to draw him in haha. I failed.

1 hour ago, Palfy said:

Mate I think he was being sarcastic but I could be wrong he may have sub stained a  hefty blow to the head 🤷‍♂️

Haha I know, he’s not biting today for me though.

1 hour ago, pete0 said:

I'm out.

13 minutes ago, Palfy said:

Well if things develop as the press think we will need someone to replace him, do be honest I’ve never really noticed Mooy as a ball winner I have admired his possession of the ball rarely gives it away, also his football ability and like you said never stops running also he’s got an eye for a goal with an accurate shot. 

I know a lot on here thought Gana was top class against Arsenal I thought like most of the press he was average, he did some good things but out weighed them with some poor things, so Mooy why not I don’t think he would be any worse and when he shoots it doesn’t go out for throw in😀

Be the same ones that didn't notice Arsenal were missing Xhaka and Torreira in midfield, instead having the notoriously limp Ozil and nothing player in Elneny who showed exactly why he doesn't get a game. As soon as he went off and Ramsey on our midfield didn't look as comfortable. Ramsey found space far too easy with Gana not keeping an eye on him. At one point Richarlison noticed the danger and sprinted into the deep central midfield to pip the ball off him with Gana and Gomes oblivious. 

Add to that much like the West Ham game Arsenal only played one player on our right to the benefit of Coleman and Richarlison. Plus they were missing half their defence in Bellerin and Koscielny, the latter meaning the big Greek joke gets a game and I've no idea why their manager picks Lacazette over Aubameyang other than it's easier to spell on the teamsheet. But hey ho we won so we can't look at how poor the opposition was, we were obviously just that great. 

8 minutes ago, pete0 said:

Be the same ones that didn't notice Arsenal were missing Xhaka and Torreira in midfield, instead having the notoriously limp Ozil and nothing player in Elneny who showed exactly why he doesn't get a game. As soon as he went off and Ramsey on our midfield didn't look as comfortable. Ramsey found space far too easy with Gana not keeping an eye on him. At one point Richarlison noticed the danger and sprinted into the deep central midfield to pip the ball off him with Gana and Gomes oblivious. 

Add to that much like the West Ham game Arsenal only played one player on our right to the benefit of Coleman and Richarlison. Plus they were missing half their defence in Bellerin and Koscielny, the latter meaning the big Greek joke gets a game and I've no idea why their manager picks Lacazette over Aubameyang other than it's easier to spell on the teamsheet. But hey ho we won so we can't look at how poor the opposition was, we were obviously just that great. 

Nail on head.

19 minutes ago, Shukes said:

Suprised it took him this long really.

Another oh shit Everton won... only because the other team were shit though!

You can only play what's in front of you, and we outplayed for most of the game, making them look,very average. We're definately dealing with a leopard and his spots here. 

22 minutes ago, sibdane said:

Nail on head.

Arsenal were missing xhaka? Like that’s a bad thing? He is absolute shite. And I think it was Pete that has said this that our midfield couldn’t handle Ramsey? Arsenal had ten minutes in the second half. That was it. How about the three or four clear cut chances that should have finished the game. Mooy is a totally different player to gana that’s embarrassing. He is a player that is above average in a piss poor team. I can’t believe people on here that give us no credit to how good we have been it’s obviously the other teams have been so bad?

1 minute ago, Finn balor said:

Arsenal were missing xhaka? Like that’s a bad thing? He is absolute shite. And I think it was Pete that has said this that our midfield couldn’t handle Ramsey? Arsenal had ten minutes in the second half. That was it. How about the three or four clear cut chances that should have finished the game. Mooy is a totally different player to gana that’s embarrassing. He is a player that is above average in a piss poor team. I can’t believe people on here that give us no credit to how good we have been it’s obviously the other teams have been so bad?

I think you're ignoring the part I put in bold when quoting Pete.

42 minutes ago, pete0 said:

How is it your not a premier league manager yet? But you know so much? 

1 hour ago, pete0 said:

Jeeze Pete that’s a bit OTT you can only play what’s in front of you, I thought we were very good value for our win and performed well as a team, that was my 3rd home game of the season the atmosphere was electric due to the team giving the supporters what they want. 

Any how back to Mooy if we could get him for about 20-25M he could be a good asset I think he would be the type of player that would fit into Silva’s system, but if Gana goes I wonder if Silva will try and convince Dacoure is future is here although he hasn’t had the same impact this season as last. 

The game is about opinions but mooy is where lower level premier league at best. We have better in McCarthy that doesn’t get a game. I think the old box to box midfielders have gone these days. Probably gerrard was the last one. Midfielders have specific jobs rightly or wrongly. I wouldn’t touch mooy 

We got PSG and Man Utd amongst other top clubs looking to sign Gana, and Pete is still trying to convince people that he is the worst player ever to wear the Blue shirt.  My heart bleeds for you Pete, I bet you can't sleep at night.

3 hours ago, Shukes said:

Suprised it took him this long really.

Another oh shit Everton won... only because the other team were shit though!

We played half their reserves and only managed a 1 nil win and almost let them back in the game (Ramsey effort from Pickford's punch). 

2 hours ago, Wiggytop said:

You can only play what's in front of you, and we outplayed for most of the game, making them look,very average. We're definately dealing with a leopard and his spots here. 

That's the point, you can only play what's in front of you. Beating Arsenal is great but taking three points off their depleted team compared to beating a full strength team gives a different level of satisfaction. 

2 hours ago, Finn balor said:

Xhaka is a great player. Just shows how good media influence is if you think he's shite. 

Exactly one of the points why it wasn't great. They were depleted, and we didn't make it comfortable. 

2 hours ago, Palfy said:

Jeeze Pete that’s a bit OTT you can only play what’s in front of you, I thought we were very good value for our win and performed well as a team, that was my 3rd home game of the season the atmosphere was electric due to the team giving the supporters what they want. 

Any how back to Mooy if we could get him for about 20-25M he could be a good asset I think he would be the type of player that would fit into Silva’s system, but if Gana goes I wonder if Silva will try and convince Dacoure is future is here although he hasn’t had the same impact this season as last. 

Dacoure would be first choice but think Mooy would be a good back up option and a decent enough stop gap until we find the next Dacoure. Plus he's got that mentality that we are gravely missing, a bit of Tim Cahill fight. 

1 hour ago, Finn balor said:

The game is about opinions but mooy is where lower level premier league at best. We have better in McCarthy that doesn’t get a game. I think the old box to box midfielders have gone these days. Probably gerrard was the last one. Midfielders have specific jobs rightly or wrongly. I wouldn’t touch mooy 

Gana isn'tt even that good. Mooy is basically an upgrade in every department from Gana. Silva said the pass from Gana against Cardiff and getting forward is what he wants. Gomes is the sitter collecting the ball from defence and Gana is meant to be the driving force, but Gomes tends to have to do both jobs as Gana hides and crabs. 

23 minutes ago, Bill said:

We got PSG and Man Utd amongst other top clubs looking to sign Gana, and Pete is still trying to convince people that he is the worst player ever to wear the Blue shirt.  My heart bleeds for you Pete, I bet you can't sleep at night.

Man U signed Djemba-Djemba in the past amongst many others. Losing Herrera and Fellaini only to bring in Gana is terrible business. I hope they really do want him as he'd weaken them. 

3 hours ago, Palfy said:

I’ve seen lots of Mooy as an Aussie and he is most similar to Davies. He’d be a handy squad player in the same sense of how chelsea signed drinkwater. He won’t get us top 6 though. Rather develop Davies.

2 hours ago, Finn balor said:

I’m out. I’ve tried to listen to your shit but to say xhaka is a great player is insane. The arsenal fans know he is shite. Mooy is a better player than gana in every department? PSG must have missed out last minute of the deadline on mooy and went for gana? 

Leicester missed out on Gana so bought Kante. Scouts get it wrong more often than not. 

Xhaka is class. I'd say he's the best after David Silva at initiating an attack, great vision with the ability to make the pass. 

54 minutes ago, Btay said:

I’ve seen lots of Mooy as an Aussie and he is most similar to Davies.

Better passing, but yep or Gomes.  He plays the Gomes role in a deeper sitting CM pair, or further up as an attacking mid.  He is not a defensive shield or destroyer ala Gana.

50 minutes ago, DownUnderToff said:

Better passing, but yep or Gomes.  He plays the Gomes role in a deeper sitting CM pair, or further up as an attacking mid.  He is not a defensive shield or destroyer ala Gana.

I think Davies is similar to Gomes as well though, good role model for him!

This summer is going to be fascinating! From an outgoing perspective what is realistic for Marcel? 

Out of contract: Jags, Baines, Ashley Williams?, Callum Connolly?, Kieran Dowell?, M Hewelt? 

Returning to parent clubs: Gomes, Zouma

Dead wood: Schneiderlin, Pennington, Bolasie, Sandro, Cuco, Niasse, Garbutt, Mirallas, Tarashaj 

Real question marks: Stek, Walcott, Tosun, McCarthy, Besic, Vlasic, J Williams, Beni

If you remove out of contract, returning to parent clubs and dead wood you are left with:

GK:  Pickford, Stek, J Virginia

LB: Digne, A Robinson

CB: Keane, Mina, Holgate

RB: Coleman, Kenny

CM: Gana, Davies, McCarthy, Besic, J Williams, Beni

W: Richarlison, Bernard, Walcott, Lookman, Onyekuru

AM: Siggy, Vlasic, Dowell

ST: DCL, Tosun

11 minutes ago, AlbanyNYToffee said:

This summer is going to be fascinating! From an outgoing perspective what is realistic for Marcel? 

Out of contract: Jags, Baines, Ashley Williams?, Callum Connolly?, Kieran Dowell?, M Hewelt? 

Dead wood: Schneiderlin, Pennington, Bolasie, Sandro, Cuco, Niasse, Garbutt, Mirallas, Tarashaj 

Real question marks: Stek, Walcott, Tosun, McCarthy, Besic, Vlasic, J Williams, Beni

If you remove out of contract, returning to parent clubs and dead wood you are left with:

LB: Digne, A Robinson

CB: Keane, Mina, Holgate

CM: Gana, Davies, McCarthy, Besic, J Williams, Beni

AM: Siggy, Vlasic, Dowell

Wow that midfield is weak. 

On 13/04/2019 at 02:02, Btay said:

I think Davies is similar to Gomes as well though, good role model for him!

I can't see it myself. Davies seems to be more energetic and press higher up the field, then lay it off and play simple passes. If Davies makes it as half the player of Gomes I'd be happy. 

On 13/04/2019 at 01:08, pete0 said:

Leicester missed out on Gana so bought Kante. Scouts get it wrong more often than not. 

Xhaka is class. I'd say he's the best after David Silva at initiating an attack, great vision with the ability to make the pass. 

Most absurd post of the decade 

23 hours ago, AlbanyNYToffee said:

LB: Digne, Baines

CB: Keane, Mina, Jagielka

CM: Gana, Davies, McCarthy

AM: Siggy

Fixed it for you. 

my comments in bold

of contract: Jags, Baines, Ashley Williams?, Callum Connolly?, Kieran Dowell?, M Hewelt? 

Jags and baines should be re-signed to 1 year deals, the rest let go, unless we can get dowell signed and sold to a league 1 or championship side.

If possible re-sign both, if not then just focus on Gomes, he is the more important of the 2.

Sell/release get rid of the lot

Sell all except beni and Vlasic (unless they don't want to stay, then get rid)

GK:  Pickford, Virginia

LB: Digne, Baines

CB: Keane, Mina, Jags, Holgate

CM: Gana, Beni, Davies, GOMES

W: Richarlison, Bernard, Lookman, Onyekuru

AM: Siggy, Vlasic

ST: DCL, NEW STRIKER

Thats 22 players, nice size squad and only additions are striker and Gomes.  The amount of money we'd get in sales would more than cover Gomes and strikers purchases and free up wage money.  We'd have 2 quality players at every position and i'm sure there are a few U23 that could be brought up depending no injuries and the like.