IGNORED

Summer Transfer Window

Aidan

2 hours ago, Matt said:

So? If he’s still playing well he’ll at least be a good stand-in if needed. Not to mention the off field benefits of having him around. 

See above post. If we want to push into top 6 having a 37 year old full back who’s legs are on the way out is not for me. Buy a replacement and let him go.

1 hour ago, Paddock said:

Will they be next year? 37 is old for any player to play premier league football.

This question/statement has been asked/applied for years yet he’s still performed. 

I hope he’ll be phased out over this season but I’d still want to keep him around next season if he’s fit enough, and the way he’s looked after himself and conducted himself over the years makes me think he’s got another season in him 

23 hours ago, Paddock said:

I don’t want a 37 year old defender as back up- his legs have already gone. Buy a replacement and move him out.

But there is risk with every signing. What happens if we let him go and bring in a dud? What if Mina is rubbish and we need to move him on too?

there is a lot to be said for having a steady guy in the side. 

21 hours ago, Matt said:

This question/statement has been asked/applied for years yet he’s still performed. 

I hope he’ll be phased out over this season but I’d still want to keep him around next season if he’s fit enough, and the way he’s looked after himself and conducted himself over the years makes me think he’s got another season in him 

This is true, he gets written off season after season and almost always ends up our best defender. 

We will just have to see how he gets on. It might be that time does catch up with him by the end of the season or he could end up being our best defender again. 

12 hours ago, StevO said:

But there is risk with every signing. What happens if we let him go and bring in a dud? What if Mina is rubbish and we need to move him on too?

there is a lot to be said for having a steady guy in the side. 

So we buy an already proven younger CB. Jagielka has been a great servant I’d hate to see him being treated like Reid was at the end, imo opinion that’ll happen (already is in some sections of fans) should he play another season with us after this one.

7 hours ago, Paddock said:

So we buy an already proven younger CB. Jagielka has been a great servant I’d hate to see him being treated like Reid was at the end, imo opinion that’ll happen (already is in some sections of fans) should he play another season with us after this one.

Like Keane? 😉

• 2 months later...
1 hour ago, Aidan said:

hoping all goes well and we bring in zouma and gomes before the start of next season, what position do people think needs the most strengthening this summer - say if we were to sign 1 marquee player.

depends if Silva wants Richarlison to be striker.  if so i would say a Winger since neither bernard or walcott is lights out.  if richarlison is moving back to the wing i would say striker.

A striker, regardless of how Richalison keeps performing. If we want to be a top team we need more. 

Then start looking around the weaker links in the team. Hopefully Mina settles in well and we have four very good centre halves, I want to see McCarthy stay fit and hopefully Gomes keeps progressing, if they do we won’t need too much in the middle. Coleman needs competition or someone who can over take him. The attacking positions are all good for me with Gylfi, Bernard, Theo, Richarlison and Lookman. 

Should a better player be available in any position we need to be ruthless enough to go for it, especially when it comes to scoring goals. 

A Striker definitely we need someone to convert more of the chances we are creating. 

A right back Coleman hasn’t come back from his injury as the Coleman of old and I fear he may never, so I hope we are looking for a Digne right back. 

And a captain of a midfielder a leader someone who leads by example a Viera type of player, with a big heart hard as nails can score goals can create chances for others and a good reader of the game. 

Brands do your magic please and go out and find them and we will be pushing for top 4. 

9 hours ago, Palfy said:

A Striker definitely we need someone to convert more of the chances we are creating. 

A right back Coleman hasn’t come back from his injury as the Coleman of old and I fear he may never, so I hope we are looking for a Digne right back. 

And a captain of a midfielder a leader someone who leads by example a Viera type of player, with a big heart hard as nails can score goals can create chances for others and a good reader of the game

Brands do your magic please and go out and find them and we will be pushing for top 4. 

That's McCarthy in a nutshell if he can stay fit

• 4 weeks later...

Remove 2018 from the title and this thread lives on.

http://www.espn.com/soccer/blog/soccer-transfers/3/post/3712862/aaron-ramsey-plus-anthony-martial-and-adrien-rabiot-lead-top-free-agents-in-the-summer

notable free agents this summer.  I would take Diaz, martial, alderwiereld, dembele, rabiot, and rice.  Interesting to see baines on the list.

• Matt changed the title to Summer Transfer Window
  • Matt featured and unfeatured this topic
15 minutes ago, markjazzbassist said:

Remove 2018 from the title and this thread lives on.

http://www.espn.com/soccer/blog/soccer-transfers/3/post/3712862/aaron-ramsey-plus-anthony-martial-and-adrien-rabiot-lead-top-free-agents-in-the-summer

notable free agents this summer.  I would take Diaz, martial, alderwiereld, dembele, rabiot, and rice.  Interesting to see baines on the list.

Finally worked out how to change the titles again :lol: 

(Depending on ins and perm outs) Hoping that we loan out a few for playing time, targeting the lower prem and Bundesliga.  Huddersfield and Southampton (with Hasenhuttl going there) are 2 that come to mind with (or soon to) the right style. 

Dowell and Beni (injured?) need to be playing.  I'd also consider Davies, if McCarthy is fit and we don't sell any other CM's, and DCL, if Charlie stays up top and both Cenk & Niasse remain.  Maybe even Holgate, if we think we've got enough cover.  

We need a striker. If Moshiri is serious I think the summer we will need our Robinho. Not so much an expensive flop, but a player to make the world take notice. That player needs to be a striker though. We need to have someone taking chances on a very regular basis. 

After that it’s just looking for the next player to replace with more quality.