IGNORED

Summer Transfer Window

Aidan

1 hour ago, Aidan said:

It said on TalkSport the other day that the since Silva took over from Hull he has conceded the most set pieces per game.

A good manager sticks to his game plan and develops it so that eventually it works. But surly a great manager realises when there is no improvement and that the style doesn't work with the type of player at his disposal, and therefore changes their approach.

As much as I'm against players kicking up a fuss, there needs to be some kind of mutiny against Silva regarding zonal marking. The players need to voice their opinion and state that they are not comfortable doing this, and that they are clearly not adapting to it. Not that it would make much difference.

Totally agree but just to add to that it could fairly be said that a lot of the players used for the zonal marking are players he brought in, so the phrase that comes to mind is all the gear no idea 💡 

3 hours ago, Palfy said:

Totally agree but just to add to that it could fairly be said that a lot of the players used for the zonal marking are players he brought in, so the phrase that comes to mind is all the gear no idea 💡 

I just can't believe how stubborn he is being though. It hasn't worked at a single premier league side he has been at so to repeat what everyone else has said, why does he keep doing it?!

16 hours ago, Palfy said:

What amazes me is most of the people who rate Gana because his stats say he’s good, also rate the job Silva is doing and his stats aren’t good, the mind boggles 🤷‍♂️🤪

I don’t think any rate him for his stats Palfy. All on here seem to rate him with what they see with their own eyes.

They just use stats as evidence to back up those points. 

15 hours ago, Palfy said:

What part of Silva’s statement don’t you get when he said he will not be changing his tactics on zonal marking

Honestly never read or heard it. 

If we want to be successful long term, the whole organisation needs to embrace review and improvement.  The managers don't just get a leave pass.  If he/they won't buy in to that, then part ways.  That needs to wait till the end of the year though.

On 09/02/2019 at 08:16, Aidan said:

It said on TalkSport the other day that the since Silva took over from Hull he has conceded the most set pieces per game.

https://mobile.twitter.com/5livesport/status/1093981473802137600

On 08/02/2019 at 22:06, nogs said:

And I think I have been pretty clear too - in my opinion, from watching football for 30 plus years, it takes most managers longer than 7 months to have a genuine impact on a club. I think I have also been pretty clear that I don't agree with your view that the signings made last summer are so outstanding that our failure to be 7th in the league is all Silva's fault. Players, like managers, take time to bed into a team. Two of those singing have not yet even held down starting places. Two of the others have been inconsistent. I don't rate one of the other two. I also don't think those 6 signings were enough to put right the imbalance, the lack of depth and the lack of quality in key positions that were obvious last May and are still obvious now. 

In short, given all of the above, I am not in any way surprised by how things have gone this season. 

Which part of any of that are you struggling to understand? 

Read your posts back and highlight how you've been clear as even this post isn'tt that clear. Not even having a go, probs got dyslexia myself but I'm self aware my English isn'tt the clearest. 

I've no idea which players you mean. As far as I'm aware Digne, Zouma, Gomes and Richarlison are all starters. Bernard  missed three out of our first four at the start of the season but other than that he's only not took part in one game. It's only Mina who hasn't made much of an impact. 

Alladyce got us 8th and if you extrapolate his points per game he may have got us 7th. He made do with the shit show yet wasn't given any more time. Why would you give Silva more time with the squad that now is more balanced and has better players? Silva has had 7 months, what improvements has there been to justify giving him more time to implement them more? What's he doing as a manager to deserve more time? 

9 hours ago, pete0 said:

Read your posts back and highlight how you've been clear as even this post isn'ttt that clear. Not even having a go, probs got dyslexia myself but I'm self aware my English isn'ttt the clearest. 

I've no idea which players you mean. As far as I'm aware Digne, Zouma, Gomes and Richarlison are all starters. Bernard  missed three out of our first four at the start of the season but other than that he's only not took part in one game. It's only Mina who hasn't made much of an impact. 

Alladyce got us 8th and if you extrapolate his points per game he may have got us 7th. He made do with the shit show yet wasn't given any more time. Why would you give Silva more time with the squad that now is more balanced and has better players? Silva has had 7 months, what improvements has there been to justify giving him more time to implement them more? What's he doing as a manager to deserve more time? 

Yawn

1 hour ago, nogs said:

Well what's the point? You're repeating the same point over and over again. Whatever I say, you just respond 'I don't get what you're saying.' that's not a discussion or a debate, it's boring. 

The closest thing you've put to an explanation is that he's only had 7 months. I've asked you to expand why you think he'd do any better with more time considering what he's done so far. 

Seriously read your posts back as you must be saying half your argument in your head. 

Since last season:

- 4 starters have been replaced with better players 

- the team is more balanced than last year

- the manager had a full preseason to implement his ideals 

Given the three points above compared why should Silva be given more time? Bear in mind the last manager was sacked yet was doing a better job than the current. What has Silva done to justify more time even though he's getting us less points? What's he implemented? What's he improved? 

8 hours ago, pete0 said:

The closest thing you've put to an explanation is that he's only had 7 months. I've asked you to expand why you think he'd do any better with more time considering what he's done so far. 

Seriously read your posts back as you must be saying half your argument in your head. 

Since last season:

Given the three points above compared why should Silva be given more time? Bear in mind the last manager was sacked yet was doing a better job than the current. What has Silva done to justify more time even though he's getting us less points? What's he implemented? What's he improved? 

Pete, seriously - you're just repeating the same fucking points over and over again. What do you expect me to do, turn round a of a sudden and say 'oh yeah, actually you were right all along'?? 

What more do I need to say than 'it takes lots of managers longer than a season even to have an impact on a side, 7 months is too soon to make a final judgement'? 

What more do I need to say than 'I don't think our new signings have improved us as much as you claim because a few of them have been inconsistent and have taken time to settle'?? 

What more do I need to say than 'I don't think our team or squad is remotely balanced'? 

It's not a case of justifying my opinion based on what I've seen so far (although we did play pretty well from September to November, which doesn't fit with your narrative). It's a case of my opinion being ANY manager deserves 12 to 18 months, unless they're about to get a team relegated. I want to see what he can do after another transfer window, with a decent striker, a proper centreback and hopefully a quality central midfielder and some of the shite he has been lumped with out of the picture. 

I don't mind having a healthy debate with anyone. But do me a favour and leave the condescending 'half an argument' bollocks out. This is about opinions, nothing more, and with all respect you're hardly a forensic lawyer yourself in the depth and consistency of your arguments. 

3 hours ago, nogs said:

Pete, seriously - you're just repeating the same fucking points over and over again. What do you expect me to do, turn round a of a sudden and say 'oh yeah, actually you were right all along'?? 

What more do I need to say than 'it takes lots of managers longer than a season even to have an impact on a side, 7 months is too soon to make a final judgement'? 

What more do I need to say than 'I don't think our new signings have improved us as much as you claim because a few of them have been inconsistent and have taken time to settle'?? 

What more do I need to say than 'I don't think our team or squad is remotely balanced'? 

It's not a case of justifying my opinion based on what I've seen so far (although we did play pretty well from September to November, which doesn't fit with your narrative). It's a case of my opinion being ANY manager deserves 12 to 18 months, unless they're about to get a team relegated. I want to see what he can do after another transfer window, with a decent striker, a proper centreback and hopefully a quality central midfielder and some of the shite he has been lumped with out of the picture. 

I don't mind having a healthy debate with anyone. But do me a favour and leave the condescending 'half an argument' bollocks out. This is about opinions, nothing more, and with all respect you're hardly a forensic lawyer yourself in the depth and consistency of your arguments. 

I'm not arsed about being right or wrong. All I'm trying to understand is what your belief is based on. How are you forming your opinion. 

Healthy debate, condescending? Seriously read your posts back. 

On 06/02/2019 at 14:55, pete0 said:

Bournemouth have only improved in one position with Brooks. West Ham in two with Diop and Anderson although the latter just balances the loss of Lanzini, they have the kid who's come through Rice but still not enough to expect them to finish above us on paper, they've been unlucky that a few have been injured though. Leicester two improved their starting eleven with Maddison and Periera, plus Evans on the bench. 

We finished above all these teams and have massively upgraded four positions in our left back, centre half, centre mid and left mid. All of these players would walk into the other teams below us. 

Wolves are better than the teams that went down. But we only took 2 points off West Brom so we're only down one less point in comparison. Even though we gifted Wolves the last game and threw away the first even though we only had 10 men for the majority. If anything Wolves have made it easier to close the gap at the top as they are taking more points off the top 6 than any of teams that went down. 

On 07/02/2019 at 19:59, nogs said:

But what about the teams above us, like Wolves and Watford? Or the team we're above on goal difference only, Bournemouth? Or even the teams we're just a point ahead of having played a game more? 

It's almost touching how much you cling to this 'massive upgrade' bollocks. 

On 07/02/2019 at 20:51, pete0 said:

What about them? 

Is Digne, Zouma, Gomes, and Richarlison not all big improvements? Plus Bernard in the squad. 

On 07/02/2019 at 21:03, nogs said:

We've been here before Pete. The bar you set for 'big improvements' is clearly lower than mine. Three of them have done OK but are inconsistent, Digne the least so. Zouma imo is not good enough. 

Would all four walk into the Wolves, Leicester, West Ham, Bournemouth and Watford teams? I don't think so. 

On 07/02/2019 at 21:48, pete0 said:

How many teams in the prem would take Jagielka, Baines, Rooney as a centre mid, DCL as a left winger? Whereas they'd all bite your hand off for the players we've brought in to replace them.

On 08/02/2019 at 12:27, nogs said:

I've given up tbh if he wants to see our signings last summer as 'massive improvements' to justify his view Silva should be sacked for mishandling them, let him. 

On 08/02/2019 at 13:07, pete0 said:

So you'd pick the other players over them? 

Would you sack Brands for not getting better players in? 

On 08/02/2019 at 13:19, nogs said:

No I'd do neither you numpty. I'd give them time to get used to the Premier League (in a Digne, Bernard and Mina's case), I'd say thanks very much when his loan was over in Zouma's case and find someone better, and I'd give Silva time to see what he can do with a squad that was quite frankly a mess 7 MONTHS ago. 

You're not getting this patience thing are you?? 

On 08/02/2019 at 14:41, pete0 said:

So you agree all are better as you wouldn't pick last years players. You agree Brands done a good job. Yet you want patience for a manager who with better tools is doing a worse job than the last. Why would you give him more time? He's got the record for set pieces conceded per game managed at his last 3 clubs (he's ranked 1, 2, and 3 in Premier league history!).  He's not improving, and other than Wednesday hasn't looked like making any tactical changes even though it's not working.. But even then he used his subs and reverted back to the shitty tactics that have burnt out heads out. 

On 08/02/2019 at 16:03, nogs said:

Pete - why can't you just accept people don't agree with you on some things? You're now telling me what I do and don't think ffs! 

On 08/02/2019 at 16:31, pete0 said:

I've summarised for clarity as I'm not trying to get you to agree, I'm trying to understand where you're coming from. What's the logic? What are you forming your opinion from? 

And I think I have been pretty clear too - in my opinion, from watching football for 30 plus years, it takes most managers longer than 7 months to have a genuine impact on a club. I think I have also been pretty clear that I don't agree with your view that the signings made last summer are so outstanding that our failure to be 7th in the league is all Silva's fault. Players, like managers, take time to bed into a team. Two of those singing have not yet even held down starting places. Two of the others have been inconsistent. I don't rate one of the other two. I also don't think those 6 signings were enough to put right the imbalance, the lack of depth and the lack of quality in key positions that were obvious last May and are still obvious now. 

In short, given all of the above, I am not in any way surprised by how things have gone this season. 

Which part of any of that are you struggling to understand? 

On 10/02/2019 at 22:51, pete0 said:

Read your posts back and highlight how you've been clear as even this post isn'ttt that clear. Not even having a go, probs got dyslexia myself but I'm self aware my English isn'ttt the clearest. 

17 hours ago, nogs said:

Yawn

16 hours ago, pete0 said:

Very comprehensive post. 

14 hours ago, nogs said:

Well what's the point? You're repeating the same point over and over again. Whatever I say, you just respond 'I don't get what you're saying.' that's not a discussion or a debate, it's boring. 

12 hours ago, pete0 said:

Since last season:

3 hours ago, nogs said:

7 minutes ago, pete0 said:

I'm not arsed about being right or wrong. All I'm trying to understand is what your belief is based on. How are you forming your opinion. 

Healthy debate, condescending? Seriously read your posts back. 

@nogs made it easy for yer. 

And I think I have been pretty clear too - in my opinion, from watching football for 30 plus years, it takes most managers longer than 7 months to have a genuine impact on a club. 

@pete0 made it easy for you in return. I shouldn't have to say any more than the above, but I'll even give you some notable examples.

Pep Guardiola in his first season at Man City, who you might recall oversaw the previous season's champions thumped 4-0 by Ronald Koeman's side. 

Jurgen Klopp at Liverpool, who for a couple of seasons oversaw an absolute shambles of a defence. 

Ferguson at Man Utd, who took four years to win a trophy at Man Utd and was famously reported to be close to getting the sack the season they won the Cup their league form was so bad. 

Our very own Howard Kendall, who was in a similar position months before we won the cup in 1984.

To draw a line under this, I completely understand your argument - we've seen no improvement this season from a manager who has had the benefit of several summer signings, and from what you've seen of the way we're playing you think it's enough to pull the trigger and sack him. I just don't agree. 

Now you are perfectly entitled to disagree with my opinion. But for you to come out with shit like 'it's half an argument' and 'you're not being clear', I think you're just being a twat. It's an opinion anyway, why would I need to back it up with any sort of evidence? 

What is more, despite what you claim, the fact that you keep coming back to this like a dog to a shitty stick suggests you very much are trying to 'win' the argument. So you know what - you have this one, give yourself a pat on the back, write a note in the little diary of online forum victories you keep for yourself, celebrate with a wank if you like. Whatever you need to make yourself feel good pal. 

Now can we give this thread back for what it is intended for, please? 

The Pep point is a good one. They went on a winning run at the end of the season but there was a point (around now) when people thought his style of play wouldnt work in the league. His signings had gone a bit cold and they werent at the level that many people were expecting. If I remember rightly he even changed to 5 at the back which was almost unheard of at the time.

He gradually started changing things, results started to come in the spring and the team gained confidence. They replaced the dead wood with players they needed to make his tactics work and they havent looked back since. If the best manager in the world with one of the best squads in the world can have a bit of a wobble then I am sure we can be a bit patient ourselves and give time to Silva to see if he can go on a winning run of his own. 

52 minutes ago, nogs said:

@pete0 made it easy for you in return. I shouldn't have to say any more than the above, but I'll even give you some notable examples.

Pep Guardiola in his first season at Man City, who you might recall oversaw the previous season's champions thumped 4-0 by Ronald Koeman's side. 

Jurgen Klopp at Liverpool, who for a couple of seasons oversaw an absolute shambles of a defence. 

Ferguson at Man Utd, who took four years to win a trophy at Man Utd and was famously reported to be close to getting the sack the season they won the Cup their league form was so bad. 

Our very own Howard Kendall, who was in a similar position months before we won the cup in 1984.

To draw a line under this, I completely understand your argument - we've seen no improvement this season from a manager who has had the benefit of several summer signings, and from what you've seen of the way we're playing you think it's enough to pull the trigger and sack him. I just don't agree. 

Now you are perfectly entitled to disagree with my opinion. But for you to come out with shit like 'it's half an argument' and 'you're not being clear', I think you're just being a twat. It's an opinion anyway, why would I need to back it up with any sort of evidence? 

What is more, despite what you claim, the fact that you keep coming back to this like a dog to a shitty stick suggests you very much are trying to 'win' the argument. So you know what - you have this one, give yourself a pat on the back, write a note in the little diary of online forum victories you keep for yourself, celebrate with a wank if you like. Whatever you need to make yourself feel good pal. 

Now can we give this thread back for what it is intended for, please? 

Because that's how forums work. People voice their opinions and what they're based on. I don't just say Gana should be sold, I argue why. All you said was Silva should have more time, there was no why, or if there was it wasn't clear. 

Any how, how many digs is that now? Look back at your posts to me and mine to you. What an arsehole you are. Tried to keep it nice but you can just fuck off now, I genuinely didn't realise I was talking to someone so thick. If you can't see how poorly worded, poorly formed your opinion has been put forward there's no helping you. Fuck me for having the audacity to ask someone on a football forum why that they based their opinion on. All I was asking is why you would trust Silva to manage this club any longer. 

(Kendall is before my time but I know the other three all won stuff to earn their next job whereas Silva was sacked for not doing a good enough. They had a proven reputation. 

Pep was poor in his first season but he spoke out during it. He acknowledged the problems and that he was adjusting to English football. Silva has been here for 3 seasons yet only has one tool in his bag.) 

You're argument is purely time based. Not based on him showing any sign of being competent or other. Purely time. You could have just said that and saved me a head ache trying to grasp where you were coming from. 

The most important thing we need to do in the next window is try to jettison as much of this pile of crap as we possibly can as quick as we can

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/great-everton-summer-clearout-marcel-15819762#ICID=ios_EchoNewsApp_AppShare_Click_Other

There’s not a single player at this club who I’d be gutted about selling. There’s obviously ones I’d prefer to sell but even if Digne and Richarlison (who I see as our best assets) were sold - I don’t think I’d be bothered in the slightest. I was gutted when players like Speed, Ferguson, Jeffers, Arteta, Barmby, Pienaar, etc. left us in the past - now... meh! It’s probably as much an age thing but I don’t fell ‘connected’ with any of this current lot - not even the likes of Baines, Jags and Seamus who have been some of my favourites in recent years.

24 minutes ago, c1982 said:

There’s not a single player at this club who I’d be gutted about selling. There’s obviously ones I’d prefer to sell but even if Digne and Richarlison (who I see as our best assets) were sold - I don’t think I’d be bothered in the slightest. I was gutted when players like Speed, Ferguson, Jeffers, Arteta, Barmby, Pienaar, etc. left us in the past - now... meh! It’s probably as much an age thing but I don’t fell ‘connected’ with any of this current lot - not even the likes of Baines, Jags and Seamus who have been some of my favourites in recent years.

I never thought about this! I would probably be most gutted about Pickford and weirdly Davies. It would be sad to see McCarthy and Baines leave too but I cant see that not happening. There is no real connection with the rest.

26 minutes ago, c1982 said:

I’d be gutted if we got rid of Digne. The rest are varying degrees of meh even if I do rate them

12 hours ago, pete0 said:

Any how, how many digs is that now? Look back at your posts to me and mine to you. What an arsehole you are. Tried to keep it nice but you can just fuck off now, I genuinely didn't realise I was talking to someone so thick. If you can't see how poorly worded, poorly formed your opinion has been put forward there's no helping you. Fuck me for having the audacity to ask someone on a football forum why that they based their opinion on. All I was asking is why you would trust Silva to manage this club any longer. 

And I gave you my reasons, several times. But instead of just saying 'fine, I don't agree with them' you chose to try to belittle them by claiming they weren't clear, ill-informed and half-cocked. So yeah, I've completely lost patience with you. You're just that loud mouthed pub bore who tries to win arguments by shouting over everyone else, making the same point over and over. The short length of his tenure, the mess he found the squad in, the need to give some of his signings more time to bed in, our form up to November, the reputation of the club - they are all valid reasons to believe Silva should be given more time. But as they don't fit in with your view, you resort to suggesting they are based on stupidity and a lack of understanding or knowledge. That's arsehole behaviour imo. 

3 hours ago, nogs said:

And I gave you my reasons, several times. But instead of just saying 'fine, I don't agree with them' you chose to try to belittle them by claiming they weren't clear, ill-informed and half-cocked. So yeah, I've completely lost patience with you. You're just that loud mouthed pub bore who tries to win arguments by shouting over everyone else, making the same point over and over. 1. The short length of his tenure, 2. the mess he found the squad in, 3. the need to give some of his signings more time to bed in, 4. our form up to November, 5. the reputation of the club - they are all valid reasons to believe Silva should be given more time. But as they don't fit in with your view, you resort to suggesting they are based on stupidity and a lack of understanding or knowledge. That's arsehole behaviour imo. 

No you never, you've added the pep stuff yesterday. Now you're putting 5 points, those 5 points could've been said straight away if it wasn't half said in your head instead. Likewise you've added to this with your point 4 and 5.

Regarding point 2 and 3 you've not explained why these players need more time considering they are all better and playing better than the players they come into replace. Or why it's exceptable for Silva to hide behind the 'mess' when the last manager done a better job with a more disjointed squad. 

Point 1 isn'ttt really an argument. I can't remember you saying the same for Sam Allardyce. Plus the question is why should he get more time, there's no answer to the why. 

Point 5 is a fair reason you don't want to be a sacking club. I don't agree with it as he's underperforming I'd rather have a new manager come in but that's how a forum works, someone says I believe this because and another says I'd prefer or adds why they agree too. No need to throw insults and in general just be an arse about it. If it gets heated fair enough but from my posts and yours, you've just been an idiot for no reason. 

Nothing to do with my view I was simply trying to comprehend yours. Seriously get a friend to read back all the posts with you because I give up trying to explain/discuss as its like pulling teeth. 

BTW you started this off with a condescending "It's almost touching how much you cling to this 'massive upgrade' bollocks." so to then call me condescending and throw insults because I've asked you to explain your argument is fucking brilliant. 

today i would like for this summer to see lots of sales and players leaving.  the only ones i'm sure we need is a striker that can fit Silva's style and a starting RW/FW.  I'm fine with DCL as backup, Kenny at RB, gana at cm, davies mixing in at ACM.  get a top notch goal scoring striker and it's a completely different side for me.  honestly i don't think zouma will be available and unless andre gomes is on a steal of a price i'm fine without him.  i have faith in the youngsters and our current players.

team (starters in bold) (if they aren't listed here they were sold or released) in a 433 with 1 sitter (gana)

pickford stek virginia

kenny coleman

digne baines

keane holgate

mina galloway pennington

gana beni 

davies vlasic

gylfi bernard

richarlison onyekuru

RW lookman

Striker DCL niasse/tosun (one or the other)

47 minutes ago, StevO said:

I do admire your positivity Mark, but Beni, Galloway and Pennington give me nothing to make me think they will be playing for the first team any time soon. 

Would like to see how beni gets on with his loan but pennington doesn't look good enough and it baffles me how Galloway is still at this club.