Sign in to follow this  
Aidan

Summer Transfer Window

41 minutes ago, markjazzbassist said:

isn't that the role gomes plays?  the signing gets stranger and stranger.

Only if you look at it in terms of our first choice XI, we need a "first choice" XXII if we're going to compete.

2 minutes ago, MikeO said:

Only if you look at it in terms of our first choice XI, we need a "first choice" XXII if we're going to compete.

i'm with you, but from his perspective he can make more money and win actual things at Man City, why come here to sit on the bench and play cup matches?

Loved what Delph said on the Everton website. He said playing for city was great but I’ll look back at that when I retire. All I want to do is play for Everton and win things. Really think he’s going to bring a winners mentality with him. 

We need a box to box players. We don’t have one at the moment.

Gana is given that role but isn’t creative enough for it.

People say Gomes is one, but he isn’t, nowhere near a box to box. He prefers to sit and spray. He makes the occasional run forward, but so does Keane. Generally he likes to receive the ball from defence and link up play.... and he’s very good at it.

We need an energetic box to box player that can create as well. Not saying Delph is this player, just that we need one.

We still need CB and CF and if the right one comes available a RB. 

Or do we get a left footed winger on the right hand side and put  Richarlison in the CF spot, that maybe easier and cheaper to facilitate. 

We will get a right back centre back winger  and a striker plus replacements we sell. We are going down the Man City route. Once we get the quality in we will get rid of the crap and then in future windows we will buy one or two 

3 hours ago, Shukes said:

We need a box to box players. We don’t have one at the moment.

Gana is given that role but isn’t creative enough for it.

People say Gomes is one, but he isn’t, nowhere near a box to box. He prefers to sit and spray. He makes the occasional run forward, but so does Keane. Generally he likes to receive the ball from defence and link up play.... and he’s very good at it.

We need an energetic box to box player that can create as well. Not saying Delph is this player, just that we need one.

Interesting issues here.

I think of Gomes as pretty close to box-to-box, so don’t agree he’s “nowhere near” that.  Doesn’t he prefer to move forward, rather than just sit and spray?  Doesn’t he get forward more than “occasionally”?  Don’t we want more shotblasts from him, somewhat similar to Sigurdsson? Yes, he is very good at linking up play, his single most important, though far from his only, strength.

My view of Gomes leads me to think we need a true, mostly sitting DM, to protect the CHs as Digne and Coleman rush forward.  Your take on Gomes’s play seems to lead to our need for a box-to-box partner — Gana, Delph(?), McCarthy, Davies, or a new player.  But it strikes me that if Gomes’s regular partner is a b-t-b player, then either (1) Gomes will have to be something more of a traditional DM, or (2) our FBs will have to get forward much less frequently.

Admittedly, there may well be considerably more variation and fluidity to the positioning and play of both our nominal DMs — Gomes and ... somebody.

8 hours ago, markjazzbassist said:

let's hope man, i would love to move him and Niasse on, and get a top rate striker with DCL the deputy.  

Take those two and toss in Sandro, and we have invested 55M or so in outlay and 300k-ish a week in striker wages for 5 or 6 goals per season

7 hours ago, Elston Gunnn said:

Interesting issues here.

I think of Gomes as pretty close to box-to-box, so don’t agree he’s “nowhere near” that.  Doesn’t he prefer to move forward, rather than just sit and spray?  Doesn’t he get forward more than “occasionally”?  Don’t we want more shotblasts from him, somewhat similar to Sigurdsson? Yes, he is very good at linking up play, his single most important, though far from his only, strength.

My view of Gomes leads me to think we need a true, mostly sitting DM, to protect the CHs as Digne and Coleman rush forward.  Your take on Gomes’s play seems to lead to our need for a box-to-box partner — Gana, Delph(?), McCarthy, Davies, or a new player.  But it strikes me that if Gomes’s regular partner is a b-t-b player, then either (1) Gomes will have to be something more of a traditional DM, or (2) our FBs will have to get forward much less frequently.

Admittedly, there may well be considerably more variation and fluidity to the positioning and play of both our nominal DMs — Gomes and ... somebody.

Yes I see him completely different to that. I see him as a link up player rather than a box to box.

I suppose it depends on your classification of a BtB as well. Mine is the typical... receive the ball, then bust a guy to get to the last third, where they then become an offensive player. I see Gomes as a player who would prefer to send a 30 yard pass to get the ball there.

One interesting thing would be... how does PeteO see him? As if he is a BtB, then is he creative enough? 

I went there didn’t i haha.

26 minutes ago, Shukes said:

Yes I see him completely different to that. I see him as a link up player rather than a box to box.

I suppose it depends on your classification of a BtB as well. Mine is the typical... receive the ball, then bust a guy to get to the last third, where they then become an offensive player. I see Gomes as a player who would prefer to send a 30 yard pass to get the ball there.

One interesting thing would be... how does PeteO see him? As if he is a BtB, then is he creative enough? 

I don’t see him as box to box can’t believe I’m agreeing with you I might have to have a rethink. 

2 hours ago, Palfy said:

I don’t see him as box to box can’t believe I’m agreeing with you I might have to have a rethink. 

Ahh I must be wrong then haha😉

2 hours ago, Shukes said:

The video the other week showed him to be more box to box at his old club. Linking up attacks and getting in the box. 

Can't think of a game he played that role for us though. He's been more the sitter, in an Arteta mould but more capable of beating his man to drive the ball forward. Gana was the box to box, he tended to be further forward smh recieved the ball more often around the edge of the box. 

2 hours ago, pete0 said:

The video the other week showed him to be more box to box at his old club. Linking up attacks and getting in the box. 

Can't think of a game he played that role for us though. He's been more the sitter, in an Arteta mould but more capable of beating his man to drive the ball forward. Gana was the box to box, he tended to be further forward smh recieved the ball more often around the edge of the box. 

Completely agree with all of that... the reason I asked your thoughts to be honest.

Yes the highlights at Barca showed him to be a more offensive player, or box to box.

I wonder if it’s his preferred role here, or just situational for the team orders. Will be interesting to see him develop his position now he’s permanent.

I do agree with Elston though, that we need to see him take more shots etc, and see what he has up there.

5 hours ago, Romey 1878 said:

it seems the guardian is the only newspaper that actually thinks of us in a positive light more than a negative light.  most rags are talking down to us.  nice to see something different for a change.

IN: Lossl, Gomes, Delph
OUT: Vlasic, Galloway, Robinson
LOAN IN: 
LOAN OUT: Kenny, Sandro, Adedoyin, Dowell, JVirginia, Garbutt, Tarashaj, Bowler
YOUTH: Sebastian Kristensen
YOUTH pro deals: Ryan Astley, Kyle John, Anthony Gordon, Ellis Simms, Joe Anderson, Einar Iversen, Nicolas Hansen, Kieran Phillips, Korede Adedoyin, Mackenzie Hunt
CONTRACT EXT: Davies, Foulds, Ouzounidis, Baines, Mampala, Bowler

OFFICIALLY RELEASED: Jags(SheffieldUtd), A Williams, Lavery(Linfield), Hewelt(Meidz Legnica), JHilton(Blackburn), Charsley, Mathis(Rodez), Kiersey(Walsall), Bramall, Renshaw

Out of contract: Sambou

1 hour ago, markjazzbassist said:

it seems the guardian is the only newspaper that actually thinks of us in a positive light more than a negative light.  most rags are talking down to us.  nice to see something different for a change.

Do you use 'rag' as a derogatory for newspaper on your side of the Atlantic? If not, love that you are using it here!!

11 hours ago, Gwlad all over said:

Do you use 'rag' as a derogatory for newspaper on your side of the Atlantic? If not, love that you are using it here!!

Not often, we usually go with "fish wrap" 😁

Marco has said he wants all his business done before the end of the month ideally so he has has ten days  to prepare for the first game. He also stated the only reason Zouma was brought in last minute because we had a centre half ready to sign that fell through. 

Poor Marcel! He's had another strong summer so far but it's remarkable how much work is left to be done.

We could still be looking at 10-12 out and 3-5 in...

Out: Pennington Martina McCarthy Bolasie Niasse Besic Mirallas Lookman Onyekuru Morgan Cenk Gana

In: RB cover, CB, Gana replacement, AM, ST

Wtf are we doing with 3 senior gk's? Surely Stek is leaving? How hasn't that happened yet...

2 minutes ago, AlbanyNYToffee said:

Poor Marcel! He's had another strong summer so far but it's remarkable how much work is left to be done.

We could still be looking at 10-12 out and 3-5 in...

Out: Pennington Martina McCarthy Bolasie Niasse Besic Mirallas Lookman Onyekuru Morgan Cenk Gana

In: RB cover, CB, Gana replacement, AM, ST

Wtf are we doing with 3 senior gk's? Surely Stek is leaving? How hasn't that happened yet...

3 keepers is because stek leaves next year.  Lossl was available on a free and is a solid PL keeper who was available.  he thought this was the better long term plan having 3 for one year and then keeping the younger backup in Lossl and we get rid of Stek.  Again he was on a free, keepers that are young (for a keeper) and willing to be a backup that are PL quality and available on a free are far and few.  i believe we had to pay for Stek when we got him.  This is how i read the move.

something to note, here is who's contract ends at the end of this year, some big names and money here if we can't sell them and have to loan them this year.  Niasse, Mirallas, Baines, McCarthy, Martina, Stek.

13 hours ago, AlbanyNYToffee said:

Wasnt that Koeman plan too?! This Marco is an imposter wearing a mask! 

I'm slightly concerned that there now seems a chance that we won't bring a striker in. It's the most important signing for me. We will never push top 6 without a recognised quality striker. Look at the teams above us and what they have up top is different gravy to us. Elsewhere, there's some sort of comparison. 

7 hours ago, sydneyneil said:

I'm slightly concerned that there now seems a chance that we won't bring a striker in. It's the most important signing for me. We will never push top 6 without a recognised quality striker. Look at the teams above us and what they have up top is different gravy to us. Elsewhere, there's some sort of comparison. 

City, Liverpool and spurs yes.

Arsenal yes - but I honestly think player for player behind the 2 uptop we are better - convincingly.

UTD and Chelsea...? 

Given the system we play I can't see many strikers in the league giving more than what DCL already offers. 

There's not that many top strikers any more. Aguero is the only world class one and Firminio is perfect for the shites system but beyond them two there's not much many strikers in the league who would offer more than what DCL already does. 

If Silva could swap DCL for any striker in the league it'd be a short list. The likes of Vardy, Kane, and Lukaku wouldn't get a game under Silva. 

29 minutes ago, pete0 said:

Given the system we play I can't see many strikers in the league giving more than what DCL already offers. 

There's not that many top strikers any more. Aguero is the only world class one and Firminio is perfect for the shites system but beyond them two there's not much many strikers in the league who would offer more than what DCL already does. 

If Silva could swap DCL for any striker in the league it'd be a short list. The likes of Vardy, Kane, and Lukaku wouldn't get a game under Silva. 

Agree.

If DCL can get double digits for goals ( and similar for assists ) then I’m happy - Gylfi and Charlie are hitting good numbers and I expect Bernard will be more clinical this year.

4 hours ago, Romey 1878 said:

If DCL is our main striker all season then we'll do absolutely nothing this season. I really like him and want him to succeed here, but he's not good enough yet (maybe never).

I'll nail my colours to that mast right now.

How do you explain our run of form the last couple months of the season with DCL up top? 

2 minutes ago, SpartyBlue said:

How do you explain our run of form the last couple months of the season with DCL up top? 

Because it wasn’t just him alone, which is why I get Romeys point even if I very much disagree

DCL can't be our only striker going into the season.

Niasse and Tosun have shown they aren't good enough, especially in this system. Richarlison would reluctantly be my next choice, but both his form and Coleman's form improved when he moved to right towards the end of the season. We need another striker. I still think DCL needs a lot of improvement, and if goes down with an injury I think we'd be royally screwed. It's also very unfair to him to rely on him for a complete season.

19 minutes ago, SpartyBlue said:

I don’t need to. My opinion is that if DCL is our main striker for this season we’ll achieve nothing. I like him, I think he’s got good attributes and potential, but he’s not good enough to be the main man and I don’t want us to have to write another season off. 

i got faith in DCL and think we would be alright with him.  I"d still like us to get another striker but i think the more important issue is getting rid of the dead wood and freeing up funds.  we can't get a striker when we have 30 person squad and only need 23-24.  can't bring him in when we are in a lot of debt due to bad transfers either.  i honestly think it will be next summer if/when we see a striker come in.  

Even to outsiders everyone knows we need a striker that can finish. Away from home when we are on top and it happened numerous times last season we need someone to finish the chances and give us a platform to win the game. We have got goals in us from other areas sure and I’m expecting more from Bernie this season. But if we can get a striker that bags 15 plus aswell and someone that can create a bit of magic for himself it will make all the difference 

58 minutes ago, Matt said:

Because it wasn’t just him alone, which is why I get Romeys point even if I very much disagree

I agree that we need to bring in a striker but the idea that we can’t win with DCL up top is demonstrably false. We had our best run of form vs. top 6 competition in years with him as our striker. 

53 minutes ago, Romey 1878 said:

I don’t need to. My opinion is that if DCL is our main striker for this season we’ll achieve nothing. I like him, I think he’s got good attributes and potential, but he’s not good enough to be the main man and I don’t want us to have to write another season off. 

I’m just trying to determine what the basis for your opinion is. We were very good with DCL up top for a long run of games at the end of  last year. I appreciate (and agree) that we need to bring someone in who is better in front of goal. I simply find your negativity puzzling given that we did have success with him in the squad. 

He was out-of-contract so not technically on the wage bill anymore. I believe the club was keen to resign him as he showed a lot of potential for the U-23s, but he obviously wasn't able to make the jump up. Mixed on this one.

1 minute ago, Sibdane said:

He was out-of-contract so not technically on the wage bill anymore. I believe the club was keen to resign him as he showed a lot of potential for the U-23s, but he obviously wasn't able to make the jump up. Mixed on this one.

thanks for the clarification.  they need to give that 48 goal u18 guy the u23 striker spot and see how he does.  probably why sambou made way.

Ethan Ampadu has joined RB Leipzig on loan. I would've put this in the General Football thread, but I have a feeling this just adds to unlikely possibility that Zouma will be joining us.

1 hour ago, SpartyBlue said:

I agree that we need to bring in a striker but the idea that we can’t win with DCL up top is demonstrably false. We had our best run of form vs. top 6 competition in years with him as our striker. 

Nowhere did I say we can’t win with him up front. But over a season he simple won’t be enough to get us where we need to be and I think we’ll actually finish lower than last season if that’s the case. Which will be another wasted season and we’ll have even more catching up to do. 

A striker should be the absolute priority this window, not a nice to have signing. 

2 hours ago, SpartyBlue said:

And who’s to say it couldn’t have been even better with a decent striker on board, the amount of games we drew or lost with the lions share of possession because we never had a decent striker to turn our possession into goals, cost us last season and will cost us next season if we don’t get a decent striker in. 

And this isn’t rant at DCL he can only do what his ability allows him to do. 

DCl is a valuable player and a real asset to have but we need options up front. Tosun isn’t quick enough for the premier league most decent centre backs wouldn’t be worried about playing against him and, niasse is just well..... gash. I’m assuming Charley will be the third back up striker if we get injuries or dependant of the winger we bring in. A good striker is what we desperately need. I want to watch us go to Arsenal and Chelsea play well and get the goals from the chances we create. That’s the only way we close the gap to the teams we should be chasing by beating them on their own turf. We let them off the hook time and again 

2 hours ago, markjazzbassist said:

good another off the pay roll.

He’d have been on (relative) buttons, and has done very well by all accounts. 

You do confuse me with your your... flexible approach to things :)