IGNORED

Summer Transfer Window

Aidan

11 hours ago, markjazzbassist said:

today i would like for this summer to see lots of sales and players leaving.  the only ones i'm sure we need is a striker that can fit Silva's style and a starting RW/FW.  I'm fine with DCL as backup, Kenny at RB, gana at cm, davies mixing in at ACM.  get a top notch goal scoring striker and it's a completely different side for me.  honestly i don't think zouma will be available and unless andre gomes is on a steal of a price i'm fine without him.  i have faith in the youngsters and our current players.

team (starters in bold) (if they aren't listed here they were sold or released) in a 433 with 1 sitter (gana)

pickford stek virginia

kenny coleman

digne baines

keane holgate

mina galloway pennington

gana beni 

davies vlasic

gylfi bernard

richarlison onyekuru

RW lookman

Striker DCL niasse/tosun (one or the other)

Scares me a bit looking at this team as I feel there a big question marks over Kenny and Mina going into next season.

Id like to give both a consistent run until the end of the season so we know if we need to fill those spots.

I want Mina to be this dominant, no nonsense CB who clears everything into our area and pops up with the odd goal from set piece - jury is definitely still out on him.

Kenny - improvement on Coleman but we need someone who is ready to go at the same level Digne has produced this season. 

Striker - get someone with pace and can finish. Make teams drop deeper knowing that we are one pass away from being in on goal.

Agree we need a RW, Lozano is the dream, I only hold the slightest bit of hope because Brands performs miracles.

Let’s get Bernard into the 10 role for the rest of season and see what he can do.

A front four of Richarlison Bernard Lozano and say Werner would be incredible but very much unlikely.

2 hours ago, Btay said:

A front four of Richarlison Bernard Lozano and say Werner would be incredible but very much unlikely.

We'd still face the same problems we're seeing this season imo, other teams playing three in midfield and overrunning our two. Bernard is hardly going to de an improvement on Sigurdsson when we don't have the ball. 

1 hour ago, nogs said:

We'd still face the same problems we're seeing this season imo, other teams playing three in midfield and overrunning our two. Bernard is hardly going to de an improvement on Sigurdsson when we don't have the ball. 

I think he gets himself about a bit personally. Man city dominate teams in the midfield and they are not huge, Bernardo Silva gets stuck in plenty.

3 hours ago, Btay said:

I think he gets himself about a bit personally. Man city dominate teams in the midfield and they are not huge, Bernardo Silva gets stuck in plenty.

But there is 3 of them supported by the 2 full backs. 

I think we just need to scrap the idea of a number 10. Its a waste of a position which adds nothing defensively and can also only add offensively if they can get the ball to them. When the opponent presses forward we only have 2 midfielders behind the ball instead of 3.

16 minutes ago, Bailey said:

I think we just need to scrap the idea of a number 10. Its a waste of a position which adds nothing defensively and can also only add offensively if they can get the ball to them. When the opponent presses forward we only have 2 midfielders behind the ball instead of 3.

Totally agree we need 3 in the middle to work as one unit all with the ability to defend pass and get forward 3 good allrounders.

you look at the way Wolves play very well set up no ones the go to play maker no ones the designated ball winner they play as a team one unit in midfield, and their midfielders all contribute to every aspect of the midfield role. 

I would like to see Bernard Gomes and Davies get a few run outs together they are probably the only  3 we see who have the most ability to their all round game. 

4 hours ago, Palfy said:

Totally agree we need 3 in the middle to work as one unit all with the ability to defend pass and get forward 3 good allrounders.

you look at the way Wolves play very well set up no ones the go to play maker no ones the designated ball winner they play as a team one unit in midfield, and their midfielders all contribute to every aspect of the midfield role. 

I would like to see Bernard Gomes and Davies get a few run outs together they are probably the only  3 we see who have the most ability to their all round game. 

I agree to an extent however you still need someone in midfield who can spot the danger, be physically capable of reacting to it and then have the technical ability to do something about it. None of those 3 players have all of those skills. If you have a number 6 who doesnt sniff out danger you are in trouble. 

The closest player we have to that is McCarthy however we dont know what level of ability remains.

31 minutes ago, Bailey said:

I agree to an extent however you still need someone in midfield who can spot the danger, be physically capable of reacting to it and then have the technical ability to do something about it. None of those 3 players have all of those skills. If you have a number 6 who doesnt sniff out danger you are in trouble. 

The closest player we have to that is McCarthy however we dont know what level of ability remains.

Good point I was always hoping that Davies would have developed into that sort of player, he’s never shirked the physical side of the game which is a bonus he’s still young and the more games he gets the more he will develop. 

1 hour ago, Palfy said:

Good point I was always hoping that Davies would have developed into that sort of player, he’s never shirked the physical side of the game which is a bonus he’s still young and the more games he gets the more he will develop. 

Yeh I thought he might have it in him too but at least for now he is far better as a free spirit who is free to break forward and not anchored in front of the centre backs. Plus he isnt very quick or strong 😂.

It may be worth getting someone like Gary Cahill - many will disagree but defending set-pieces is a glaring weakness - we lack leadership. Jags came in tonight and we were much more organised but he’s 37 in August and probably going to be elsewhere next season. Keane and Mina would both benefit from at least a season alongside a senior figure and hopefully Keane will emerge as the senior figure I think he could be with more experience/confidence and learning off someone who has played at the very top.

1 minute ago, c1982 said:

It may be worth getting someone like Gary Cahill - many will disagree but defending set-pieces is a glaring weakness - we lack leadership. Jags came in tonight and we were much more organised but he’s 37 in August and probably going to be elsewhere next season. Keane and Mina would both benefit from at least a season alongside a senior figure and hopefully Keane will emerge as the senior figure I think he could be with more experience/confidence and learning off someone who has played at the very top.

Always liked Cahill, I wouldn't mind him. Only get a season or 2 out of him but it only takes a season to build a spring board

2 minutes ago, c1982 said:

I agree with the idea, but I am not sure Cahill is the guy as he is 33 himself and it would depend on how much mileage he still has in the legs. Maybe a 2 year contract? Or maybe someone like Evans who is a couple of years younger? We definitely need a leader in the middle though.

54 minutes ago, c1982 said:

I wouldn’t against this so much. I wouldn’t expect him to start every game but if we can get 2 years out of him would be a handy addition.

On 19/02/2019 at 09:22, Bailey said:

Agree 10000000%. This comes from the manager though not the players - at least initially. Siggy is capable of being one of the 3 but Marco seems to favor the idea of no10.

In my opinion Pep's biggest managerial strength is midfield dynamics. Sure he has a shit ton of money to spend but so do a dozen other teams in the world and they cannot do what he has done. His ability to combine three midfielders and make the whole so much more than the sum of the parts is amazing. I love Gana as a player but he isn'tt suited to this idea of a dynamic three. Gomes shows flashes but in this new theoretical scenario he and Siggy would be too similar (creative but slow and not a great tackler). Until we try to solve this puzzle and create a viable midfield 3 we should expect to always be on the outside looking in. The 'top 6' have better players so until we find a tactical advantage we're cooked. 

9 hours ago, Gwlad all over said:

Summer transfer window..... a striker, end of.

If we don't have other players with the intelligence to play off a focal point, if we don't have midfielders with the quality to feed a front man, if we don't have a defence that you can rely on not to fuck up so we get that clean sheet and the scrappy 1-0 win... Not much will change. I've said it a thousand times, our problems are far, far bigger than not replacing Lukaku. 

as excited as i get about incomings (sort of a little inside joke here on this forum, i can take the jabs) i think i am more excited to see who leaves and what we are able to get in return.  i think it will be interesting to see if it's firesale and get rid or if they try and get a decent return and we end up holding onto more than we'd like.

We need to get rid of a half dozen players first to make way for new signings, we probably won't see a lot of return for our initial investment but we have to get them off the wages bill, otherwise we will not make the FFP rules on player wages on percentage of turnover.

1 hour ago, Btay said:

Crucial window to get right.

Quality over quantity- Tosun/Walcott both need to go with first team replacements in.  First team quality RB aswell.

Totally agree, although I can't see Walcott going this window. 

4 minutes ago, MikeO said:

China would be a possibility if someone offered him enough, not really bothered by a fee just get him off the wage bill. 

Fingers crossed! Could see him wanting to do that with his age and obvious decline. 

6 hours ago, MikeO said:

China would be a possibility if someone offered him enough, not really bothered by a fee just get him off the wage bill. 

China hasn’t crossed my mind but it could be a great path for some of our players that are clearly focused on financial benefits. I agree with above, clearing wages is a must so we kind of have to take what fee we can get.

Mostly just hoping to see some heavy dead wood and wage shifting, then bringing some youngsters through.

That said, Luka Jovic would be the (now unrealistic) ideal striker target.  Fulham could also be worth raiding, if some bargains can be had.  I still like Seri and Mitrovic would be a good fallback striker/Tosun replacement.  Sessegnon would be way too expensive and not an area of need, unless Richarlison gets sold.

1 hour ago, DownUnderToff said:

Mostly just hoping to see some heavy dead wood and wage shifting, then bringing some youngsters through.

That said, Luka Jovic would be the (now unrealistic) ideal striker target.  Fulham could also be worth raiding, if some bargains can be had.  I still like Seri and Mitrovic would be a good fallback striker/Tosun replacement.  Sessegnon would be way too expensive and not an area of need, unless Richarlison gets sold.

Was thinking about mitrovic the other day. In terms of raiding Premier league clubs I think he may be the most viable option, or would people rather take a risk on an upcoming striker from abroad? 

4 hours ago, Aidan said:

Was thinking about mitrovic the other day. In terms of raiding Premier league clubs I think he may be the most viable option, or would people rather take a risk on an upcoming striker from abroad? 

Price dependant.  Picking him up for Tosun sale money would be decent business.

16 hours ago, DownUnderToff said:

yeah i'd take both of them for sure.  probably decently cheap and mitrovic has proven (unlike cenk) that he can score regularly in the premier league.  i haven't watched a lot of him to see what attributes he has (big?  pacy?  technical?) but we need strikers that can score.  Can he also play on the right or left?

16 hours ago, Aidan said:

Excellent option. I would have him in a snap. Perfect playerfor is. But I would imagine he would command a hefty fee.

1 hour ago, markjazzbassist said:

yeah i'd take both of them for sure.  probably decently cheap and mitrovic has proven (unlike cenk) that he can score regularly in the premier league.  i haven't watched a lot of him to see what attributes he has (big?  pacy?  technical?) but we need strikers that can score.  Can he also play on the right or left?

One of the premierships hidden talents. Very strong, good pace, powerful shot, decent in the air. I’m surprised he isn’t already at one of the big boys.

Always been impressed when watching him.