IGNORED

Summer Transfer Window

Aidan

1 hour ago, pete0 said:

They were 6th and sprung up to second with him. He scored 16 goals and got 7 assists which is good for a Mourinho striker. Their midfield and recruitment in general let them down the following season, especially Pogba. Leading to Mourinho getting the sack. 

I do t disagree at all about their recruitment. They just add names to the team, rather than players that fit. 

This is where I’m hoping we’re starting to get it right.

10 minutes ago, Shukes said:

Silly comparison and you know it. If you class Lukaku as anywhere near the same level as Messi, then that explains your ga.... err other player ratings.

All begins to make sense 😉

I wasn’t comparing Lukaku with Messi I was challenging your view that players who leave the Premier league are basically going backwards and that they start in these worse teams then come here when there good enough, so I used Messi possibly the best player in the world and he never played here, ok I can understand why you didn’t like that analogy very hard to argue against , so what about Ronaldo did he become a worse or lesser player when he left Utd for Madrid, answer no he didn’t what do you think? 😉

10 minutes ago, Palfy said:

I wasn’t comparing Lukaku with Messi I was challenging your view that players who leave the Premier league are basically going backwards and that they start in these worse teams then come here when there good enough, so I used Messi possibly the best player in the world and he never played here, ok I can understand why you didn’t like that analogy very hard to argue against , so what about Ronaldo did he become a worse or lesser player when he left Utd for Madrid, answer no he didn’t what do you think? 😉

There are exceptions that prove the rule (Maradonna being another obvious one though from a different era) but I don't think it can be argued that the PL isn't the pinnacle, it would've been fascinating to see Messi here but when you're a one club god, as Maradonna was at Napoli (a season at Sevilla aside) and are truly "worshipped" and massively rewarded and very successful it's hard to roll the dice and move on (so many fall flat on their faces in England). Those players are relatively rare though, Ramos springs to mind and there will be a fair few in Italy probably.

Ronaldo it's impossible to say because we'll never know how his career would've panned out had he stayed at United. I think the majority of "average" top class internationals anywhere in the World would want to test themselves in the PL and see it as the best there is, certainly when it comes to depth.

16 minutes ago, MikeO said:

There are exceptions that prove the rule (Maradonna being another obvious one though from a different era) but I don't think it can be argued that the PL isn't the pinnacle, it would've been fascinating to see Messi here but when you're a one club god, as Maradonna was at Napoli (a season at Sevilla aside) and are truly "worshipped" and massively rewarded and very successful it's hard to roll the dice and move on (so many fall flat on their faces in England). Those players are relatively rare though, Ramos springs to mind and there will be a fair few in Italy probably.

Ronaldo it's impossible to say because we'll never know how his career would've panned out had he stayed at United. I think the majority of "average" top class internationals anywhere in the World would want to test themselves in the PL and see it as the best there is, certainly when it comes to depth.

I’m not disputing that we haven’t got the best league in the world because we have, I’m disputing that all the best players start elsewhere and come here at there best and when they leave it’s because they are no longer good enough for here. 

51 minutes ago, Palfy said:

You knowfull well that’s not the point I was making haha.

I was making the point that generally the premier league is the pinnacle of club football. Most players aspire to play in the premier league.

Lukaku wanted to almost buy into a champions league medal. At Utd it soon became clear that all he gives ( notice I didn’t say ADDS) is goals. Top tier teams need more than that. They need forwards who work for their team. 

With a lot of players it’s not a case of stepping down, but rather a fresh challenge. 

But with Lukaku, the player you were talking about, there is no way he is leaving for a tougher challenge, thats laughable. He will leave any team where it isn’t going his way. 

My point is Palfy, that I think your wrong in your thinking that top teams just want a player that scores goals. Liverpool are the perfect example. Very close to winning the premier league and winning the CL. 

4 hours ago, Shukes said:

You practise in other leagues and then move to the premier league to take the biggest challenge.

Rom thought he could move into a ready made champions league winner. It didn’t work.

Is the Premier League the pinnacle or is it just the place where players will get the highest wages? Due to the money, we’ve probably got the most ‘depth’. Obviously the 2019 European finals would suggest dominance with all 4 being English - will be interesting to see if this continues. The Champions League is the pinnacle so I’d say the likes Juve, PSG, Bayern, Real, Atletico, Barca, etc are more attractive than players just choosing the Premier League.

2 hours ago, Palfy said:

You practise in other leagues and then move to the premier league to take the biggest challenge.

That’s what I don’t agree with a lot of players leave here to go abroad just as they start to enter the best period of their playing years. 

4 minutes ago, c1982 said:

Is the Premier League the pinnacle or is it just the place where players will get the highest wages? Due to the money, we’ve probably got the most ‘depth’. Obviously the 2019 European finals would suggest dominance with all 4 being English - will be interesting to see if this continues. The Champions League is the pinnacle so I’d say the likes Juve, PSG, Bayern, Real, Atletico, Barca, etc are more attractive than players just choosing the Premier League.

Exactly this, but when Barcelona Madrid or PSG want a player they generally get them because they will pay them even more than they would get here, and if a player got good money and had a choice he would choose France Spain or Italy over England because of the culture and climate, not us because he wanted to prove himself that’s bollocks. 

1 hour ago, c1982 said:

I agree with that.

But I don’t think Lukaku is on there radar. I may be wrong, but I just don’t see Messi feeding Lukaku. Stranger things have happened though.

49 minutes ago, Palfy said:

Exactly this, but when Barcelona Madrid or PSG want a player they generally get them because they will pay them even more than they would get here, and if a player got good money and had a choice he would choose France Spain or Italy over England because of the culture and climate, not us because he wanted to prove himself that’s bollocks. 

Really? Yet players come here all the time touring that it’s known as the toughest league in the world and they wanted the challenge. 

But they are all talking bollocks? 

Friday night again Palf 😉

I guess it’s about the individual? Some players might like three or four tough games a season because it’s a job and they want to look good against weaker opposition. Other players want to test themselves week in and week out in the prem because obviously they are well paid but they want to compete as an athlete and be the best. Compare Barca, Madrid, PSG they pay way more for the top talent than we do. £500k plus a week for messi, bale, neymar etc but they don’t give the Spanish equivalent of Danny drinkwater a 100k a week. Those players come here for that 

5 minutes ago, Finn balor said:

I guess it’s about the individual? Some players might like three or four tough games a season because it’s a job and they want to look good against weaker opposition. Other players want to test themselves week in and week out in the prem because obviously they are well paid but they want to compete as an athlete and be the best. Compare Barca, Madrid, PSG they pay way more for the top talent than we do. £500k plus a week for messi, bale, neymar etc but they don’t give the Spanish equivalent of Danny drinkwater a 100k a week. Those players come here for that 

Exactly we pay top money to mediocre players Drinkwater being one, the worlds best players don’t often play here in their prime, and those that do have given their best years to the Spanish or Italian club, a point in case is Zlatan he came here in his thirties to prove a point to himself not in his mid twenties when he was at the top of his game, he was to busy filling his bank account and enjoying the sunshine to be concerned about playing in the Premiership way 

30 minutes ago, Shukes said:

Really? Yet players come here all the time touring that it’s known as the toughest league in the world and they wanted the challenge. 

But they are all talking bollocks? 

Friday night again Palf 😉

Ok name 10 of the worlds best players who have come here in there prime and the finished article, and when you do I might consider it 

1 hour ago, MikeO said:

Coutinho, Pogba, Hazard, De Bruyne, Di Maria, Morata, Kepa, Aubameyang, Fred (by reputation), Bernardo Silva.

Ill give it a go...depends how far back in the prem you want to go?

Zola, Bergkamp, Torres (sorry), Ronaldo, Klinsman, Desailly, Van Nistelroy, Stam, Vidic, Aguero, Silva, Mata, Riquelme, Drogba, Essien, Makelle...

6 hours ago, The Bridge said:

Ill give it a go...depends how far back in the prem you want to go?

Zola, Bergkamp, Torres (sorry), Ronaldo, Klinsman, Desailly, Van Nistelroy, Stam, Vidic, Aguero, Silva, Mata, Riquelme, Drogba, Essien, Makelle...

Every time someone brings up Bergkamp it makes me smile. One of my favourite every premier players. That guy was some kind of magician. Simple a joy to watch.

8 hours ago, Palfy said:

Your probably right but I’m only quoting what was reported in the media so don’t shoot the messenger. 

Yeah United are “holding out for 90m” but reality is they can cut their losses and move on or not sell and have his huge wages and his value decrease.  If they are smart they cut their losses.

8 hours ago, Finn balor said:

Just can’t see Lukaku fitting in the serie a. 

Tend to agree, wrong style for him that league. CBs will shut him out too easily with his lzck of movement. Think he would boss the bundesliga tho - prob doesnt register for him though due to lack of wages

IN: Lossl, Gomes
OUT: Vlasic
LOAN IN: 
LOAN OUT: Kenny
YOUTH: Sebastian Kristensen
YOUTH pro deals: Ryan Astley, Kyle John, Anthony Gordon, Ellis Simms, Joe Anderson, Einar Iversen
CONTRACT EXT: Davies, Foulds, Ouzounidis, Baines, Mampala

OFFICIALLY RELEASED: Jags, A Williams, Lavery(Linfield), Hewelt, JHilton(Blackburn), Charsley, Mathis(Rodez), Kiersey(Walsall), Bramall, Renshaw

Out of contract: Sambou