Sign in to follow this  
Bluemineck

Marco Silva (manager)

Marco Silva is potentially facing the sack at Watford.

funny old game eh!

Just shows doesn’t it, if he’d walked out for everton he would have been condemned by Watford’s board, fans and football in general and yet now they’ll fire him without a second thought if they want to!!

You never know how things are going to turn out (except Moyes at United obviously) so whatever stick comes your way you might as well do what you think is right and take it.

On that basis Mr’s Moshiri and Kenwright you know what has to be done. Do it.

Fat Sam should go, it isn’t working. There was a slight false dawn but look at us now, no better and arguably worse. At least the points that we dropped early season were against good teams. We had our first shot on target in 2018 yesterday. I said I was reserving judgement and I was but I’ve seen enough. 

Tara Sam, here’s your money.

“hello. . . Is that Marco” 📞

I'm not a 100% but I'm sure they've potted their last two or three managers who were essentially over performing 

The owners need to give their heads a wobble they are roughly were they should be and hit a tough patch as most sides do, going off comments on social media the fans seem to think they should be a top 8 side 

1 minute ago, Romey 1878 said:

Why would you be embarrassed? Clubs make approaches for managers, there's nothing wrong with that. It's not our fault Silva and his players lost the plot once it was turned down and he had to stay. 

The only thing you should be embarrassed about are Silva and his players lack of mental strength.

This 

Ludicrous to blame us and just a very easy and convenient reason to throw out there 

He has a championship side over performing bar one or two decent players, prior to our approach they had pretty much a 50/50 win lose run nothing special they've hit a bad patch had injuries to key players and probably playing at the level you'd expect them too  

28 minutes ago, Romey 1878 said:

Why would you be embarrassed? Clubs make approaches for managers, there's nothing wrong with that. It's not our fault Silva and his players lost the plot once it was turned down and he had to stay. 

The only thing you should be embarrassed about are Silva and his players lack of mental strength.

I think the main problem was that it was so public and he clearly wanted to leave. 

Once you know that your manager wants to jump ship the players won' have the same respect for him. The owners will also judge him differently and this happens. 

Watford should have taken the £10 mil and brought in someone else, it' just like having a sulking player in many ways when he doesn' get his move. The trust just isn't there anymore. 

As a manager though he is interesting. His sides create chances and concede equally as many. It's definitely a Martinez level of risk. 

58 minutes ago, Romey 1878 said:

Because of the way we went about it. It’s like the Kopites with VVD, I expected us to conduct ourselves with our usual dignity

1 hour ago, Bailey said:

I think the main problem was that it was so public and he clearly wanted to leave. 

Once you know that your manager wants to jump ship the players won' have the same respect for him. The owners will also judge him differently and this happens. 

Watford should have taken the £10 mil and brought in someone else, it' just like having a sulking player in many ways when he doesn' get his move. The trust just isn'tt there anymore. 

As a manager though he is interesting. His sides create chances and concede equally as many. It's definitely a Martinez level of risk. 

agreed, that family that runs the club are crazy.  they hire and fire managers left and right.  should have taken the 10m

1 hour ago, Bailey said:

Watford should have taken the £10 mil and brought in someone else, it' just like having a sulking player in many ways when he doesn' get his move. The trust just isn'tt there anymore. 

Modern football is public, everything is reported. People really need to deal with that fact instead of getting all uppity and offended. 

Just now, yamar said:

Speaks volumes pal.

Huge volumes....

Let's get rid of this dinosaur who has no defenders but wants to focus on defence.  

Let's get in a manager who can use the attacking players we have.

He isn'tt a shit manager.... He just lost the players when he wanted to come here.  Watford were foolish to think anything different. 

1 minute ago, yamar said:

It was a roll 'allardyce' with this flop. There will be no 'silva' lining with with the next. We need to think big big Now.

I would get rid of Sam now. Brother said the atmosphere yesterday was awful around fat Sam. Fans really getting at him.

3 hours ago, Bluemineck said:

I wasn’t expecting that this morning despite what I said above.

im genuinely excited. Come on Bill, you know it makes sense! 

Yeah, right! The manager with the worst record in the league right now.

8 hours ago, Romey 1878 said:

Modern football is public, everything is reported. People really need to deal with that fact instead of getting all uppity and offended. 

Frankly, it's been a public game for years yet we've managed to do things properly. 

4 hours ago, yamar said:

Told ya he was another Martinez. Why won't people listen to me.

I would take Martinez back anytime. He worked with very small budged and we were sound in midfield and attack. Now we've spent tons of money and we're shit in every single position on the pitch, except the goalkeeper's probably.

15 minutes ago, Haiku said:

I would take Martinez back anytime. He worked with very small budged and we were sound in midfield and attack. Now we've spent tons of money and we're shit in every single position on the pitch, except the goalkeeper's probably.

Agree

1 hour ago, hafnia said:

He hasnt got the worst record in the league at all. 

Absolutely he does. In the BBC report, it reveals that, since Everton made an approach to Watford (11 games ago), he has the worst record in the league (just one win).

7 minutes ago, Cornish Steve said:

Absolutely he does. In the BBC report, it reveals that, since Everton made an approach to Watford (11 games ago), he has the worst record in the league (just one win).

And yet his team are in top half..... what does that tell you? That he isn'tt the worst in the league. That his points per game at hull was decent too. 

It tells me that he had Watford flying. After our approach and his desire to leave he lost the focus of the players.

25 minutes ago, hafnia said:

And yet his team are in top half..... what does that tell you? That he isn'ttttt the worst in the league. That his points per game at hull was decent too. 

It tells me that he had Watford flying. After our approach and his desire to leave he lost the focus of the players.

Exactly: As I said, the worst record in the league over the last 11 games. Now we get to the 'why'. Because he's more focused on his own ambition than that of his club, or is very easily distracted and demotivated. Do you want such a manager to come here, be approached by a better team, and have the worst league record at Everton?

Time will tell.  Walsh is tight with sam and Shakespeare so it’s either they all go (I’m fine with that) and you bring Silva in to do managing and hire another DOF (please one with experience) or Walsh throws them under the bus and he deals with Silva.  

Honestly id like all of them to go, Walsh as been horrible at transfers.

Watford have already appointed their new manager, literally hours after they sacked Silva.

Seems ironic that they call us out on our approach for Silva, yet clearly they were talking to another manager behind their then current managers back. Glass houses and all that.

I feel for Silva. He tried to do things properly and allow the club's to sort it out, yet gets shit on himself.

I thought he handled himself very well during the whole chase and will no doubt have plenty of offers.

40 minutes ago, Newty82 said:

Seems ironic that they call us out on our approach for Silva, yet clearly they were talking to another manager behind their then current managers back. Glass houses and all that.

Thinking self-same thing, they obviously had him in place pre-sacking. Hypocrites.

2 hours ago, MikeO said:

Thinking self-same thing, they obviously had him in place pre-sacking. Hypocrites.

Oh absolutely. Impossible to sack a guy and a few hours later have a new man in, contract sorted and all that stuff.

I read it's their 10th manager since 2015 or something??? Or was it 2013???

9 minutes ago, markjazzbassist said:

buyout sam, bring silva and splash for doucoure and richarlison in a 2fer.  they're gonna be in relegation zone soon and will need the money.

There’s not a chance in hell they’d even sell a pencil to us. 

I think he lost it because he wanted to come here, and like people said it definitely unsettled the players.

If he was good enough for us 3 months ago I can't see him being shit now, should take a chance on him now cos nobody can be as bad as Allardyce.  He must be removed sooner rather  than later.

On 1/23/2018 at 12:43, Bill said:

I think he lost it because he wanted to come here, and like people said it definitely unsettled the players.

If he was good enough for us 3 months ago I can't see him being shit now, should take a chance on him now cos nobody can be as bad as Allardyce.  He must be removed sooner rather  than later.

Agree, but my biggest concern is how easily his head was turned. We could sign him on and he could be off less than 12 months later if someone he deems bigger / offering more money comes along.

I'm not sure Matt, if I was a manager who's club wants to challenge the top, give me big wages, a big transfer budget, and a new stadium on the horizon,  I think I would jump at it.

If we lose against Leicester and continue playing shite, this manager should be fooked off asap.

1 hour ago, Matt said:

Agree, but my biggest concern is how easily his head was turned. We could sign him on and he could be off less than 12 months later if someone he deems bigger / offering more money comes along.

that is a valid concern, the difference is watford legitimately fire a manager 1 or 2 times a campaign.  they don't even keep them for 2 campaigns.  so basically from the off it was a one year deal and he was trying to prove himself to get a permanent job, everton wanted him for keeps, he was in.

53 minutes ago, Bill said:

I'm not sure Matt, if I was a manager who's club wants to challenge the top, give me big wages, a big transfer budget, and a new stadium on the horizon,  I think I would jump at it.

If we lose against Leicester and continue playing shite, this manager should be fooked off asap.

Until the next big project with bigger wages? 

And I know there's several people on here that want me to accept that football has become a soulless haven for cut-throat mercenaries and I refuse to accept it, so don't start :shakingfist: 

18 minutes ago, Matt said:

Until the next big project with bigger wages? 

And I know there's several people on here that want me to accept that football has become a soulless haven for cut-throat mercenaries and I refuse to accept it, so don't start :shakingfist: 

the only way we'll get one of those is to promote from within.  Unsy and the like, but many here don't want that (even though mike0 showed only former players have won the bigs for us as managers).  i'm all for it, go all out on the academy and have an academy of coaching so to speak, build within, but alas i don't think it's in the cards.

I take it by us turning his head he stopped selecting the same players using the same tactics and just fucked training sessions off like he couldn't be arsed for months before anyone clocked on to his antics.... Papers putting two and two together and people lap it up 

They punched above their weight for a short period suffered injuries to key players and a dip in form whilst still 10th in the league add to that they have some of the most gung-ho owners I've ever known 

If a clearly intelligent man who knows the game better than any of us can have his head turned to such an extent by let's face it a club that's done and won fuck all for decades then I'd be astounded, we are an easy excuse imo nothing more 

1 hour ago, EFC-Paul said:

I take it by us turning his head he stopped selecting the same players using the same tactics and just fucked training sessions off like he couldn't be arsed for months before anyone clocked on to his antics.... Papers putting two and two together and people lap it up 

They punched above their weight for a short period suffered injuries to key players and a dip in form whilst still 10th in the league add to that they have some of the most gung-ho owners I've ever known 

If a clearly intelligent man who knows the game better than any of us can have his head turned to such an extent by let's face it a club that's done and won fuck all for decades then I'd be astounded, we are an easy excuse imo nothing more 

I think its more the fact that the players probably dropped their levels. Its got to be a knock on the confidence levels when you have belief in a manager, are playing really well and then he more or less says that he wants to go to a bigger club with better players.

The way they play they need to be 100% committed because they take a risk. As soon as players drop just even a little bit, results go down the pan.

17 minutes ago, Bailey said:

I think its more the fact that the players probably dropped their levels. Its got to be a knock on the confidence levels when you have belief in a manager, are playing really well and then he more or less says that he wants to go to a bigger club with better players.

The way they play they need to be 100% committed because they take a risk. As soon as players drop just even a little bit, results go down the pan.

When did he say he wanted to go to a bigger club with better players? 

When questioned about the Everton reports at his press conference to preview Sunday's match against West Ham, Silva said: "I don't know about an offer or not, or what's happened.

"It's for the board, the owners to talk to each other about the situation. For me it's a normal situation. What's most important in this moment is the game (against) West Ham.

"I look at this situation like when a player performs well, and (another club) tries to approach the owner or club.

"I have read many things during the week - that I didn't want to talk to anybody; after that I want (to talk).

"Who I need to talk with is my owner, my board, my players as well: no one else. I do my job normally, and have since I've come here.

"I don't want to talk about Everton. It's not the club where I work. It's a big club, nothing more.

"I am committed every day I work for the club."

Silva was also asked if there was a chance Sunday's match could be his last as Watford's manager and responded: "Why are you sure about that? Really, I don't know."

The Hornets face West Ham in their first match since the appointment of former Everton manager David Moyes, and take on the Hammers on the back of three consecutive defeats leading up to the international break.

Silva recognises that Moyes' presence presents his team with a challenge they cannot necessarily prepare for.

"We know the players and team very well, but it's their first match with a new coach," he said.

"We know David Moyes, and what he normally did at other clubs, but he can change everything: it's the first game.

"We respect that, and that the individual players have a lot of quality, but need to keep focused."

As far as I'm aware he never said anything of the sort and I very much doubt it would (if true) have had such an effect on grown men earning a fortune that their manager had gained interest from another club, when you get down to the brass tacs of it they will have very little loyalty towards the man due to the nature of the game managers come and go as do players 

You can't purely dismiss that they were punching above their weight then had bad luck with injuries

From one of their players 

http://www.watfordobserver.co.uk/sport/15886993.marco-silva-sacked-watford-boss-everton-interest-didnt-lead-to-slump-in-form-claims-orestis-karnezis/

1 hour ago, EFC-Paul said:

When did he say he wanted to go to a bigger club with better players? 

When questioned about the Everton reports at his press conference to preview Sunday's match against West Ham, Silva said: "I don't know about an offer or not, or what's happened.

"It's for the board, the owners to talk to each other about the situation. For me it's a normal situation. What's most important in this moment is the game (against) West Ham.

"I look at this situation like when a player performs well, and (another club) tries to approach the owner or club.

"I have read many things during the week - that I didn't want to talk to anybody; after that I want (to talk).

"Who I need to talk with is my owner, my board, my players as well: no one else. I do my job normally, and have since I've come here.

"I don't want to talk about Everton. It's not the club where I work. It's a big club, nothing more.

"I am committed every day I work for the club."

Silva was also asked if there was a chance Sunday's match could be his last as Watford's manager and responded: "Why are you sure about that? Really, I don't know."

The Hornets face West Ham in their first match since the appointment of former Everton manager David Moyes, and take on the Hammers on the back of three consecutive defeats leading up to the international break.

Silva recognises that Moyes' presence presents his team with a challenge they cannot necessarily prepare for.

"We know the players and team very well, but it's their first match with a new coach," he said.

"We know David Moyes, and what he normally did at other clubs, but he can change everything: it's the first game.

"We respect that, and that the individual players have a lot of quality, but need to keep focused."

As far as I'm aware he never said anything of the sort and I very much doubt it would (if true) have had such an effect on grown men earning a fortune that their manager had gained interest from another club, when you get down to the brass tacs of it they will have very little loyalty towards the man due to the nature of the game managers come and go as do players 

You can't purely dismiss that they were punching above their weight then had bad luck with injuries

From one of their players 

http://www.watfordobserver.co.uk/sport/15886993.marco-silva-sacked-watford-boss-everton-interest-didnt-lead-to-slump-in-form-claims-orestis-karnezis/

Well it seemed fairly clear from the reports at the time that he wanted to move. The response from the Pozo family about the head turning after our approach pretty much make it a certainty that he wanted to leave.

I agree they were punching too but I also think it impacted their performances, even if it isn'tt by much, it' enough to turn wins into draws and draws into losses. 

9 hours ago, Bailey said:

Well it seemed fairly clear from the reports at the time that he wanted to move. The response from the Pozo family about the head turning after our approach pretty much make it a certainty that he wanted to leave.

I agree they were punching too but I also think it impacted their performances, even if it isn'ttt by much, it' enough to turn wins into draws and draws into losses. 

I'm probably a little defensive on it 😁 as they pissed me off throwing our name out there straight away, the owners are mental especially when it comes to managers

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/everton-sack-sam-allardyce-within-12536820

former Hull and Watford boss Marco Silva has emerged as the number one pick to succeed him, despite complications relating to his departure from Vicarage Road.

After weeks of uncertainty over his future, Blues owner Farhad Moshiri will finally pull the trigger on the manager he hired only last November in a desperate attempt then to stop the club’s slide into the relegation zone.

I like the idea of Silva. Only 40 and a realistic target who is well thought of in the game.

A quick bio of his Management career so far....

2011/12 - Estoril

Won promotion as Champions to the top flight, after 7 year absence.

Manager of the Year.

2012/13 - Estoril

Finished above expectations in 5th.

First time club had qualified for Europa.

2013/14 - Estoril

Finished 4th.

Left in May.

2014/15 - Sporting

Finished 3rd.

Taca De Porugal Cup Winners

Sacked for not wearing official club suit in cup match.

2015/16 - Olympiacos

Won League Title.

Left for personal reasons.

Then in Jan'17, we know he did a good job at Hull and was doing fine at Watford.

Quite a few jobs in there for a young manager. Maybe some brash decisions, wrong decisions.

Hopefully he'll be looking to settle into a role for a good few years.

I'd be fine with him. I'd just want us to give him some decent time. And for him to commit to us fully too.

agreed newts.  the portugal stuff is all fine, the suit thing sounds like they just wanted a manager change and that was an easy out.  olympiacos as we have seen from some posting is a dumpster fire.  not paying players wages, players not workign hard, you win the league every year at a clip for decades at a time and i don't blame the guy for not wanting to be there.  hull was hull, no big deal on that short term stay.  the only one i think you could hold against him is watford but it was our fault he got fired.  so really i don't think he's a glory hunter, i just think he's gone to a lot of bad jobs to try and move his way up.  a solid place like us to give him time and resouces could do him well and us well.