Sign in to follow this  
Bluemineck

Marco Silva (manager)

18 minutes ago, Matt said:

I think Morgan can play the link Up role, but more the “ping the long ball” than Ganas shorter and quicker approach 

I agree, at his previous clubs and when he first came here his best attribute for me was turning the ball over and moving things forward 

I am not advocating that Schneiderlin plays the link up role I have always believed he is the best option we have at the moment for the holding mid role and Silva seems to see it the same way, he also sees Gylfi as the most forward of a midfield 3 which I think most would agree with. 

Now when it comes to the link up mid at the moment we have a choice of Gana and Davies but when Gomes is ready I can see him occupying that role, because his all round game will prove to be far superior than the 2 mentioned or why sign him if he’s no better. 

I’m hoping he is better. I want the team to improve and get better. I don’t know enough of Gomez to know his position well, other than you tube vids. But he does excite me for some reason and the one I’m looking most forward to seeing.

Fuck zonal marking. 

Create alternative game plan. 

Do those 2 things and we’ll be on a roll. Still unbeaten but I expected a fair few more points considering the opponents we’ve had. 

7 minutes ago, Matt said:

Fuck zonal marking. 

Do those 2 things and we’ll be on a roll. Still unbeaten but I expected a fair few more points considering the opponents we’ve had. 

Zonal marking will work, it just takes time for players to learn it.

With the bench we had today there was not any alternative.

We lacked composure and creativity, both will come.

25 minutes ago, Matt said:

Fuck zonal marking. 

That’s not going to happen Matt Silva has already said that’s the only way he’s ever played as a manager and he’s not going to change, I don’t like it more because I don’t really crasp it and it would seem the players are struggling with it as well, so he needs to get the players in line with his tactics or get in players who understand his way of playing because we can’t keep on conceding cheap goals from set pieces it’s starting to prove very costly.  

25 minutes ago, London Blue said:

Zonal marking will work, it just takes time for players to learn it.

With the bench we had today there was not any alternative.

We lacked composure and creativity, both will come.

Zonal is, was and forever will be a gamblers defence. We may well get better st it, but it’s going to cost us heavily. There really needs to be a mix of man-marking and zonal, opposition dependant. 

I also don’t agree that we didn’t have an alternative. We had the players for 433, but instead went with 2 DCM against a team that ships goals for fun. Our initial setup wasn’t adventurous enough and our energy just wasn’t there consistently 

7 minutes ago, Palfy said:

That’s not going to happen Matt Silva has already said that’s the only way he’s ever played as a manager and he’s not going to change, I don’t like it more because I don’t really crasp it and it would seem the players are struggling with it as well, so he needs to get the players in line with his tactics or get in players who understand his way of playing because we can’t keep on conceding cheap goals from set pieces it’s starting to prove very costly.  

If he doesn’t learn to evolve, he and we will never succeed 

9 minutes ago, Matt said:

If he doesn’t learn to evolve, he and we will never succeed 

Agreed but can’t see him backing down after publicly making that statement. 

8 minutes ago, Palfy said:

Agreed but can’t see him backing down after publicly making that statement. 

He better ducking had, or get it to work well quickly 

Another game, another corner, another goal. All fucking with the freedom if Goodison Park to put the ball in the net. Zonal marking will be the undoing of Silva here if he persists with it- I absolutely guarantee it.

Zonal marking is much more difficult than simple man marking. It can be really effective if implemented right. 

At the moment each defender seems to be playing it individually. They need to play it as a team, stay and go move together. They need time to learn to play it.

I was more worried about our lack of creativity yesterday. Richarlison is a big miss, but Gana shouldn’t be such a huge miss. He isn’t a creative player, but allows others more freedom. Without him we were toothless.

I just hope that Gomez is the missing piece for us.

Our most creative player is Holgate.

Watched the match yesterday and seen the ball transferred side to side time and time again,and this is either in out own half or just inside their half. Holgate drills it into the feet of the front three, outside the area. Everytime he done it we looked threatening and they didn't like it.

I didn't think we missed Gana at all. Apart from being a bit quicker across the ground its not like he would have been any more aggressive in his passing than Davies (which is who I presume people would replace him for). I would agree that he would be more forward thinking that Schneiderlin but most people dont seem to think he was the issue. Comparing the Southampton game (the only other home game and the only other game with 11 men) his passing accuracy was 80% (compared to 89%) and his passing map was very similar to Davies yesterday.

You can see Schneiderlin's map from yesterday below.

http://www.evertonfc.com/fixtures/2010-to-2019/2018-2019/english-premier-league/everton-vs-huddersfield-town/match

You can probably count on one hand the number of passes that go forward. Siggy only had 30 something touches all game and 16 attempted passes compared to 50 odd and 33 against Southampton. Against Southampton we had Gana and Davies playing balls forward, whereas yesterday we only had Davies. As much as I think he played well, I do think Schneiderlin played well within himself. That isn'tt a bad thing either in terms of his own personal performance but at home against a relegation threatened side the team needed more. That's why I still find it strange that Siggy came off and wasn't just deployed deeper to provide more of an attacking alongside either Schneiderlin or Davies.

44 minutes ago, Bailey said:

I didn't think we missed Gana at all. Apart from being a bit quicker across the ground its not like he would have been any more aggressive in his passing than Davies (which is who I presume people would replace him for). I would agree that he would be more forward thinking that Schneiderlin but most people dont seem to think he was the issue. Comparing the Southampton game (the only other home game and the only other game with 11 men) his passing accuracy was 80% (compared to 89%) and his passing map was very similar to Davies yesterday.

You can see Schneiderlin's map from yesterday below.

http://www.evertonfc.com/fixtures/2010-to-2019/2018-2019/english-premier-league/everton-vs-huddersfield-town/match

You can probably count on one hand the number of passes that go forward. Siggy only had 30 something touches all game and 16 attempted passes compared to 50 odd and 33 against Southampton. Against Southampton we had Gana and Davies playing balls forward, whereas yesterday we only had Davies. As much as I think he played well, I do think Schneiderlin played well within himself. That isn'ttt a bad thing either in terms of his own personal performance but at home against a relegation threatened side the team needed more. That's why I still find it strange that Siggy came off and wasn't just deployed deeper to provide more of an attacking alongside either Schneiderlin or Davies.

You seem to contradict yourself here.

It’s the speed he passes though Bailey. It may be the same pass, but Gana receives, turns and gives straight away. This means the move flows better.

Davies receives, turns, looks up, runs a few steps and then gives. This makes it easy for defenders as they can close spaces. How many times do you see a young player hold onto the ball because they have space?... it’s all the time and a trait of being young. As a player matures, they realise that moving the ball that little quicker keeps the opposition from setting. 

Theres a lot to be said for the simple ball, and it’s why you hear managers and coaches constantly shouting at their players to play it simple.

Not saying Davies won’t learn this as he still has many years ahead of him. But he still has to learn. 

Soneone else (maybe London) just pointed out that Morgan seemed to be getting forward more than Davies, causing Davies to sit. This is where Gana would have came in. Morgan could have sat,  which is what he is best at, and Gana would have been that link up.... which at the moment, he is better than Davies at.

Again, I’m hoping this is where Gomez will fit in. A player that can work hard, turn the ball over, but also has that little bit more creativity than Davies and Gana.

3 hours ago, nyblue23 said:

You seem to contradict yourself here.

Maybe I wasnt clear. The consensus seems to be that Gana would replace Davies and therefore we were worse for having Davies on the pitch which is something I disagree with because the evidence is that they perform similar roles so far this season.

The second part is that if we replaced Schneiderlin and Gana, we would have seen more balls forward into the front 4. It could therefore be argued that we would only have missed Gana if he played instead of Schneiderlin but when people have said "we missed Gana" it wasn't to replace Schneiderlin.

1 hour ago, Shukes said:

It’s the speed he passes though Bailey. It may be the same pass, but Gana receives, turns and gives straight away. This means the move flows better.

Davies receives, turns, looks up, runs a few steps and then gives. This makes it easy for defenders as they can close spaces. How many times do you see a young player hold onto the ball because they have space?... it’s all the time and a trait of being young. As a player matures, they realise that moving the ball that little quicker keeps the opposition from setting. 

Theres a lot to be said for the simple ball, and it’s why you hear managers and coaches constantly shouting at their players to play it simple.

Not saying Davies won’t learn this as he still has many years ahead of him. But he still has to learn. 

Soneone else (maybe London) just pointed out that Morgan seemed to be getting forward more than Davies, causing Davies to sit. This is where Gana would have came in. Morgan could have sat,  which is what he is best at, and Gana would have been that link up.... which at the moment, he is better than Davies at.

Again, I’m hoping this is where Gomez will fit in. A player that can work hard, turn the ball over, but also has that little bit more creativity than Davies and Gana.

I think that is very subjective and its not something I agree with. I think Davies has a better picture of what is around him than Gana. When Gana turns and moves its more like he is still working out what to do whereas Davies has already thought about that. Davies plays a lot more one touch passes than Gana IMO.

There is also absolutely no evidence that Schneiderlin got forward more. I certainly didnt notice it and the average position maps say otherwise. Davies is closer to Siggy than he is Schneiderlin. Schneiderlin did sit and has his perfect role.

I do agree about Gomes though!

24 minutes ago, Bailey said:

I think that is very subjective and its not something I agree with. I think Davies has a better picture of what is around him than Gana. When Gana turns and moves its more like he is still working out what to do whereas Davies has already thought about that. Davies plays a lot more one touch passes than Gana IMO.

There is also absolutely no evidence that Schneiderlin got forward more. I certainly didnt notice it and the average position maps say otherwise. Davies is closer to Siggy than he is Schneiderlin. Schneiderlin did sit and has his perfect role.

I do agree about Gomes though!

It is subjective and interesting to see others views. 

Mom not big on stats at all though. As said before... if we had a midfielder that set up 100 open goals on the line for a striker.... but that striker somehow missed every chance.. that’s zero assists. But the reality is that player is world class.

It wasn’t my observation about Morgan getting forward, I didn’t notice it really. I don’t rate safe players at all. The reason he plays for us is that managers soon realised he doesnt really add anything to a team trying to win games. He’s great for mid table teams as he is safe. An Allardyce player of ever I saw one.

Davies could end up being a good player. I do agree that his intelligence is a lot better than people make out. But his body and feet don’t compute with his head at the moment. Where as Gana takes one touch and moves it on to someone with more flair. If Gana has one touch passing he wouldn’t be at our club, he would be playing too six.

Like you said, all subjective. 

Im hoping have a big giant Mina in defence will help with the corners, because right now it’s terrifying. We are going to end up at GP where the crowd start to panic every time we concede a corner and that panic will spread onto the pitch. 

Schneiderlin is a must as the holding and defensive mid he rarely gives the ball away which is what you want from the last man, Gylfi is the attacking mid linking up with the 2 wide men and the CF, now the central mid is the position that no one seems to be able to own Gana is slightly a head of Davies but I think Gomes as been signed to take on that position I’m genuinely excited to see him get into the team, I believe he is the missing part to pull it altogether in the MF. 

I hope so palf. He’s the one that’s been making more excited. I do t know why because I can’t say I ever noticed him before we were in for him. But there’s something about that signing that seems to fit with our club.

Strange to feel like this, but he feels like a next level player for us. 

5 hours ago, Shukes said:

It is subjective and interesting to see others views. 

Mom not big on stats at all though. As said before... if we had a midfielder that set up 100 open goals on the line for a striker.... but that striker somehow missed every chance.. that’s zero assists. But the reality is that player is world class.

It wasn’t my observation about Morgan getting forward, I didn’t notice it really. I don’t rate safe players at all. The reason he plays for us is that managers soon realised he doesnt really add anything to a team trying to win games. He’s great for mid table teams as he is safe. An Allardyce player of ever I saw one.

Davies could end up being a good player. I do agree that his intelligence is a lot better than people make out. But his body and feet don’t compute with his head at the moment. Where as Gana takes one touch and moves it on to someone with more flair. If Gana has one touch passing he wouldn’t be at our club, he would be playing too six.

Like you said, all subjective. 

As I just mentioned on the other thread, stats should never be used on their own because they dont take into account context but it doesnt mean they arent useful and they always make an interesting debate! :)

Morgan is an odd one because he is very controlled, he can turn the ball over well enough but if he isn'tt playing the ball forward when it is on then he is sucking the potential out of the team. He has more quality, movement and general attacking intent around him now so its not as much of a problem as it was under Allardyce when we barely came out of our half. If you think horses for courses he could be a more than useful asset for us in big games in getting some control on the match but in games like the one at the weekend we just needed him to play 10-15 more passes forward into our attackers and cut through their midfield. To be fair he did more of that in the second half at Wolves, its just like he goes into his shell and is nervous about giving the ball away which is strange as he is a good passer.

2 hours ago, StevO said:

I think we could see Bernard or Gylfi in that position too. Neither would surprise me. 

I thought we might have seen Gylfi there at the weekend and it looked the ideal opportunity to give it a go so I am not so sure he will try it for a while yet (odds on he starts there against West Ham now!)

If the Twitter ITK's are to be believed Silva see's Richarlison as a striker in the near future 

I can see it working tbh very similar to Jesus (no not the biblical one 🤣) in many ways, then have the following

Richarlison

Bernard                                      Walcott

Sigurdsson

Gomes                Schneiderlin

Digne         Mina         Zouma     Coleman

Pickford

No stain on Tosun I think the bloke is great and offers a great deal but that hopefully would be a very balanced creative and nippy side with a very strong bench

Stek Baines Holgate Lookman Tosun Gana Davies/Dowell

5 minutes ago, EFC-Paul said:

If the Twitter ITK's are to be believed Silva see's Richarlison as a striker in the near future 

I can see it working tbh very similar to Jesus (no not the biblical one 🤣) in many ways, then have the following

Richarlison

Bernard                                      Walcott

Sigurdsson

Gomes                Schneiderlin

Digne         Mina         Zouma     Coleman

Pickford

No stain on Tosun I think the bloke is great and offers a great deal but that hopefully would be a very balanced creative and nippy side with a very strong bench

Stek Baines Holgate Lookman Tosun Gana Davies/Dowell

I'd like to see that.

2 minutes ago, Palfy said:

I'd like to see that.

On paper the best 11 and bench we've had for some time imo 

I can't see it not working either very balanced, where did I put that FIFA Pro license 😎😂 

In all seriousness it would be nice to have multiple options once everyone's fit and ready to go 

No way I’d be dropping Tosun. His work rate is one of the reasons Walcott and Richarlison have space to work with. Plus, his foot work and finishing are fantastic. Once the lad gets his first goal, he’ll go on a spree. 

1 hour ago, Matt said:

No way I’d be dropping Tosun. His work rate is one of the reasons Walcott and Richarlison have space to work with. Plus, his foot work and finishing are fantastic. Once the lad gets his first goal, he’ll go on a spree. 

Noticed on Twitter that some fans are getting on his back. Out fuckin rageous.  Should take up watching another sport or just accept they are only arsed about fantasy football stats. 

Similar to Fiminho over the park  - Tosuns contribution can't be measured by goals and assists.  He is critical to the way Silva wants to play - the high press. 

The lad should have won about 3 penalties already but for shite referees. 

7 minutes ago, hafnia said:

Noticed on Twitter that some fans are getting on his back. Out fuckin rageous.  Should take up watching another sport or just accept they are only arsed about fantasy football stats. 

Similar to Fiminho over the park  - Tosuns contribution can't be measured by goals and assists.  He is critical to the way Silva wants to play - the high press. 

I’ve got the same excitement with him as I did with Lukaku, with the added bit of him actually working hard and doing all the other stuff you always wanted Rom to do. I’m less concerned about his return this time around though because I can see goals coming from other areas, which wasn’t the case when Rom played for us.  

Now if we can just sort the defence out and up the tempo a bit, Silva could really be something special. Hopefully he does and then hopefully he’s more committed to the club than he’s shown in the past. 

6 minutes ago, Matt said:

I’ve got the same excitement with him as I did with Lukaku, with the added bit of him actually working hard and doing all the other stuff you always wanted Rom to do. I’m less concerned about his return this time around though because I can see goals coming from other areas, which wasn’t the case when Rom played for us.  

Now if we can just sort the defence out and up the tempo a bit, Silva could really be something special. Hopefully he does and then hopefully he’s more committed to the club than he’s shown in the past. 

Some of our fans are ridiculous. 

6 minutes ago, Matt said:

Well that just fucked it comparing him with Lukaku Haf is gonna slaughter you for that 😂

27 minutes ago, Palfy said:

Well that just fucked it comparing him with Lukaku Haf is gonna slaughter you for that 😂

Unlikely, Tosun is the striker Haf has always wanted us to have. Provided he starts scoring, he’ll be the striker I’ve always wanted us to have too :) 

Tosun reminds me of Hasslebank in that he had a hammer of a shot. Not scared to shoot from twenty yards either.

Agree with Matt, one goal and they will start flying in. If h was getting chances and missing, I would be worried. But he hasnt had a chance of note yet. Lets see what he can do in a match where he gets given a few chances.

1 hour ago, Matt said:

Unlikely, Tosun is the striker Haf has always wanted us to have. Provided he starts scoring, he’ll be the striker I’ve always wanted us to have too :) 

Yep.  I personally think the lad is a finisher. He's scored goals that lukaku may struggle to score but won't score the types lukaku can score (ball over the top, direct running).  

The difference is tosun has given us so much ball retention and basis to build attacks in the final third. With lukaku it was hit and miss depending on his ability to control a pass or find a team mate.  Which meant we couldn't commit players into the final third. 

Look what happens when tosun gets the ball.... another phase of play starts. He is dragging defenders out of position allows pockets of space for Theo and richarlison. 

Lots of potential I think.   He's not gonna be a top 5 striker but he will be one of the better ones at the next level.  And he's clearly a cracking teammate too. The players love him. 

4 hours ago, Matt said:

No mention of dropping him Matt I'm talking about options mate from murmurs of what Silva wants down the line 

Could be completely fabricated mind you but just found it interesting, Tosun grafts his bollocks off and let's face it will either get a knock or need a breather at some point and personally I'd like to see something like that then throw DCL into the mix later in games where I think he'd be more effective

I fully agree I've said the same recently in another thread he'll bag 20 or so this season once he gets going and he contributes an awful lot but in terms of options and broadening our game plans I could see it working 

I'm one of the ones that's unconvinced by Tosun, but I can't say I've been tearing my hair out about his performances so far this season because I think he's been doing well on the whole. He just needs a goal.

That being said, I really don't see him being first-choice up top for long. I think Silva will want someone else in the not too distant future.

4 hours ago, hafnia said:

I think Richarlison could do that high pressing as well. He does it at left wing in any case. But in addition to that he has the pace to stretch the defense as well. In my hopes for him, he's more like Firmino than Tosun is.

I've been reasonably happy with the way Tosun has been performing by the way so I don't mean this as a slight but if Bernard were to show that he needs to be in the starting XI than I'd go for a front three of Bernard, Richarlison and Walcott as well.

1 hour ago, EFC-Paul said:

No mention of dropping him Matt I'm talking about options mate from murmurs of what Silva wants down the line 

Could be completely fabricated mind you but just found it interesting, Tosun grafts his bollocks off and let's face it will either get a knock or need a breather at some point and personally I'd like to see something like that then throw DCL into the mix later in games where I think he'd be more effective

I fully agree I've said the same recently in another thread he'll bag 20 or so this season once he gets going and he contributes an awful lot but in terms of options and broadening our game plans I could see it working 

The way it reads and the line-up looked like that's what the "ITK"s were suggesting, apologies if I misinterpreted. It is an interesting alternative, however (and I'll probably get stick here) if Tosun can't play for whatever reason, I think DCL gets the lead role instead of Richarlison for 2 reasons; 1) His game is quite similar to Cenks in a lot of ways, and 2) I'd rather play Richarlison play where he has proven to be very effective. I think he could lead the line, but we'd lose a lot of what he brings to the team, and don't think the trade off is worth it. 

42 minutes ago, duncanmckenzieismagic said:

I certainly hope Tosun does start banging them soon !

FBBB8623-4C61-43A5-A7C0-CE754FE9F263.jpeg

Not a bad price that. Probably get more now.  I think he's good for 15 at moment. Let's see. 

2 hours ago, Matt said:

The way it reads and the line-up looked like that's what the "ITK"s were suggesting, apologies if I misinterpreted. It is an interesting alternative, however (and I'll probably get stick here) if Tosun can't play for whatever reason, I think DCL gets the lead role instead of Richarlison for 2 reasons; 1) His game is quite similar to Cenks in a lot of ways, and 2) I'd rather play Richarlison play where he has proven to be very effective. I think he could lead the line, but we'd lose a lot of what he brings to the team, and don't think the trade off is worth it. 

Probably just my piss poor writing mate 😁

I can't see DCL bagging many tbh if he's on his own up there, granted he got two against Rotherham and one on the weekend but I watched him closely and he struggles to get the ball out of his feet at times and doesn't really have the beating of many defender's

I think he's a great foil for someone and he will bring the likes of Richarlison and Walcott into the game but I don't think we'll have two upfront very often if at all and he won't give us a great return on his own and doesn't have the tools to unlock defences imo 

We'll probably bring someone in when the window re-opens throwing both of our theories out of the window anyway  😄

We are looking good up top with Tosun and the wide men and with Bernard and DCL trying to force there way in good we have good competition for places which we haven’t had for a while. 

We need to concentrate more on getting the defence right at this moment in time, we are still very fragile at the back and seem to buckle under pressure, even Coleman is struggling who would have thought that he’s normally Mr dependable, just hope we get everyone back and fit so the coaches can work on the best back 4 and there’s more competition for places, at the moment who evers fit or not suspended is making up the back 4 not ideal when Silva’s try to work on new defensive tactics. 

14 hours ago, EFC-Paul said:

Probably just my piss poor writing mate 😁

I can't see DCL bagging many tbh if he's on his own up there, granted he got two against Rotherham and one on the weekend but I watched him closely and he struggles to get the ball out of his feet at times and doesn't really have the beating of many defender's

I think he's a great foil for someone and he will bring the likes of Richarlison and Walcott into the game but I don't think we'll have two upfront very often if at all and he won't give us a great return on his own and doesn't have the tools to unlock defences imo 

We'll probably bring someone in when the window re-opens throwing both of our theories out of the window anyway  😄

The way Tosun is being played, it’s more of the hold up and bring others into the game rather than the out and out striker, DCL can easily do that role. The lad has everything except the natural finishing ability 

1 hour ago, Matt said:

The way Tosun is being played, it’s more of the hold up and bring others into the game rather than the out and out striker, DCL can easily do that role. The lad has everything except the natural finishing ability 

If anything DCL is probably more suited to that role. Arguably he should be the one starting. Fair play to Tosun he's giving his all but he's just never gonna be the striker to fit into Silva's system. 

8 hours ago, pete0 said:

If anything DCL is probably more suited to that role. Arguably he should be the one starting. Fair play to Tosun he's giving his all but he's just never gonna be the striker to fit into Silva's system. 

I think you will have many people disagreeing with you and thinking he has so far been the perfect striker to play in Silva’s system. 

1 hour ago, StevO said:

I think you will have many people disagreeing with you and thinking he has so far been the perfect striker to play in Silva’s system. 

Not saying he's been awful, just he's ill-suited to the system being gassed after 70 minutes, and with him and Sigurdssen both lacking a yard of pace it makes the system a bit laggy. 

Tosun is more of a traditional 9, if he starts we'd be better off playing 442.

1 hour ago, duncanmckenzieismagic said:

Pesrsonally I think zonal marking would work a lot better if we designated our penalty area as one of the zones

98CCF1F6-CF75-4FCA-9282-B780ED8C658D.jpeg

Like I said on the day everyone is ahead of the front post. Almost the whole side... its bizarre.

On 02/09/2018 at 15:33, Palfy said:

Schneiderlin is a must as the holding and defensive mid he rarely gives the ball away which is what you want from the last man, Gylfi is the attacking mid linking up with the 2 wide men and the CF, now the central mid is the position that no one seems to be able to own Gana is slightly a head of Davies but I think Gomes as been signed to take on that position I’m genuinely excited to see him get into the team, I believe he is the missing part to pull it altogether in the MF. 

See this is exactly why I don't like Schneiderlin, aside from his stinking attitude at times last season. Why do you need a last man in midfield? I really dislike it, you're basically playing an extra defender who just happens to play in front of the centre backs. I don't mind someone who likes to play deep, as long as they have a range of passing. To me midfielders have to be able to do both, defend and attack. If you play two in middle, they cover each other, one sits, one goes, if you play 3 which is more the modern way you might have one deeper than the other two, but like I say they should be able to contribute to attacking play with their passing. Schneiderlin doesnt that's why I think he's a waste of a player in the midfield.