Sign in to follow this  
Bluemineck

Marco Silva (manager)

2 hours ago, nogs said:

See this is exactly why I don't like Schneiderlin, aside from his stinking attitude at times last season. Why do you need a last man in midfield? I really dislike it, you're basically playing an extra defender who just happens to play in front of the centre backs. I don't mind someone who likes to play deep, as long as they have a range of passing. To me midfielders have to be able to do both, defend and attack. If you play two in middle, they cover each other, one sits, one goes, if you play 3 which is more the modern way you might have one deeper than the other two, but like I say they should be able to contribute to attacking play with their passing. Schneiderlin doesnt that's why I think he's a waste of a player in the midfield. 

I personally think he’s just doing the job he’s asked to do. The lad can pass the ball, but I’d imagine he’s asked to limit the risk in the area of the pitch he plays in. I could be wrong though. 

3 hours ago, nogs said:

See this is exactly why I don't like Schneiderlin, aside from his stinking attitude at times last season. Why do you need a last man in midfield? I really dislike it, you're basically playing an extra defender who just happens to play in front of the centre backs. I don't mind someone who likes to play deep, as long as they have a range of passing. To me midfielders have to be able to do both, defend and attack. If you play two in middle, they cover each other, one sits, one goes, if you play 3 which is more the modern way you might have one deeper than the other two, but like I say they should be able to contribute to attacking play with their passing. Schneiderlin doesnt that's why I think he's a waste of a player in the midfield. 

Then you stand the chance over committing yourself you need a holding midfielder who is not going to be caught out of position, how many do you want in attack with the CF 2 wide men the other 2 MF and 1 of the FB depending on what channel we are attacking on, that’s how Silva seems to see it and I for one agree now if you don’t see Schneiderlin as the man for that role that’s a different argument, but the system Silva is trying to implement calls for Schneiderlin type player. 

1 hour ago, nyblue23 said:

How many times do we see Schneiderlin actually make a last-man potentially goal-preventing tackle, though? I’m struggling to remember one.

Not very often 

He's not a defensive midfielder though for me he's Barry's replacement a player who makes things tick on the quiet 

I'd like to see him spray the ball around more though as he does have it in his locker, could well be made a sitter though once Gomes is upto speed or will Gana get the nod over him I'm not sure but it'll be interesting to see how Silva sets us up once he's got more options

3 hours ago, StevO said:

I personally think he’s just doing the job he’s asked to do. The lad can pass the ball, but I’d imagine he’s asked to limit the risk in the area of the pitch he plays in. I could be wrong though. 

Playing long diagonal balls out from deep into your own half to wingers as they break isn'tt a risk to you defensively though. At worst you give possession away in the opponents half. 

3 hours ago, Palfy said:

Then you stand the chance over committing yourself you need a holding midfielder who is not going to be caught out of position, how many do you want in attack with the CF 2 wide men the other 2 MF and 1 of the FB depending on what channel we are attacking on, that’s how Silva seems to see it and I for one agree now if you don’t see Schneiderlin as the man for that role that’s a different argument, but the system Silva is trying to implement calls for Schneiderlin type player. 

The two best players in the Prem in that position imo, Fernandinho and Kante, are incredibly mobile, they play all over the pitch. They sweep up when their full backs are out of position, they break up play in front of their CBs, and they join in over the half way line, making themselves available in build up play and on the break. How much of that does Schneiderlin do? I could make allowances for that if he was clever enough with his passing, like  Carrick type, but he just isn'tt. 

Paul - you compare him to Barry. Same role, yes, but I'd say even at 35 Barry added a lot more dynamism, bite and guile to the midfield. I see Schneiderlin as a second rate replacement. 

2 minutes ago, nogs said:

The two best players in the Prem in that position imo, Fernandinho and Kante, are incredibly mobile, they play all over the pitch. They sweep up when their full backs are out of position, they break up play in front of their CBs, and they join in over the half way line, making themselves available in build up play and on the break. How much of that does Schneiderlin do? I could make allowances for that if he was clever enough with his passing, like  Carrick type, but he just isn'ttt. 

Paul - you compare him to Barry. Same role, yes, but I'd say even at 35 Barry added a lot more dynamism, bite and guile to the midfield. I see Schneiderlin as a second rate replacement. 

He isn’t being asked to play in that way read through some of Silvas comments on Schneiderlin he’s playing him as a holding mid and thinks he is at the moment the best player at his disposal to play there, that’s how he sets his team up so what Kante and Fernandinho are doing at there clubs is irrelevant because if they were the holding mid in a Silva team they wouldn’t be doing that. 

43 minutes ago, nogs said:

The two best players in the Prem in that position imo, Fernandinho and Kante, are incredibly mobile, they play all over the pitch. They sweep up when their full backs are out of position, they break up play in front of their CBs, and they join in over the half way line, making themselves available in build up play and on the break. How much of that does Schneiderlin do? I could make allowances for that if he was clever enough with his passing, like  Carrick type, but he just isn'ttt. 

agreed on the barry part, barry was able to drop passes in over the CB's in front of lukaku, or play 1 2's to players in/around the box.  morgan does none of that.  barry even scored some goals!  he was around the box and helping in attack always.  

41 minutes ago, nogs said:

No question Nogs I've said a few times how highly I rated Barry brilliant and very underrated player 

The dynamic of the sides changed an awful lot since he left though and Morgan is coming back from having a shite previous season so I'd expect him to improve... Hopefully

9 hours ago, nogs said:

I am actually a big fan of a sole DM with two more attacking midfielders ahead of him but like you say the DM has to be good on the ball and mobile. I think Schneiderlin is decent enough on the ball, he seems to have good awareness in possession and I also think he is a good long range passer but the problem for me is that he is just very conservative.

6 hours ago, StevO said:

I am 50/50 with this. I think he is most of the time but I don't see any reason why Silva wouldn't want Schneiderlin to play that ball forward when it is on. In fairness to Schneiderlin, when he played against Wolves and at the start of the Southampton game it didn't seem a problem but for some reason against Huddersfield he seemed very reluctant to pull the trigger. It will be interesting to see how that develops in future games.

2 hours ago, nogs said:

This is the key bit for me. A defensive midfielder should have more mobility. I think the skill set for a sole defensive midfielder and a full back are very similar. I guess that is one of the reasons why Pep has been using defensive midfielders at full back and then inverting his full backs to play in midfield but that is for another thread.

As a defensive midfielder you need a player that is happy covering the channels and tracking wingers (when the full backs break forward), is happy dropping between the centre backs and at the same time is a good passer with good technique and is great under pressure. They also need to work their arses off. Barry wasn't the quickest but he read the game so well that he was in those positions to put a challenge in before it developed and if they had the beating of them he hacked them down. Then at the same time he could dribble past a man if needed or play a defence splitting pass. To be fair though, Barry could have played anywhere in midfield or at the back and part of my problem with our midfielders don't have that intelligence. Davies has played full back and probably has the intelligence to play different positions but he doesn't have the size to play at centre back, the pace to play as a winger or passing range of wide midfielder.

Schneiderlin does a decent job up against poorer teams sweeping up and passing the ball on to someone else to take forward. Up against better sides, especially teams that are blessed with lots of mobility up front and press high he will struggle to lay a glove on them as well as shit himself whenever they press him.

3 hours ago, Palfy said:

He isn’t being asked to play in that way read through some of Silvas comments on Schneiderlin he’s playing him as a holding mid and thinks he is at the moment the best player at his disposal to play there, that’s how he sets his team up so what Kante and Fernandinho are doing at there clubs is irrelevant because if they were the holding mid in a Silva team they wouldn’t be doing that. 

I don't agree for two reasons. One, Kante and Fernandinho are very much the DMs for Chelsea and Man City. Two, Silva didn't play with an out and our holding midfielder at Watford who was asked to do nothing but defend, so why would he ask Schneiderlin to play like that? That's just how he plays, and personally I don't see the merit in it. 

Kante last season played in a team with 3 CB which allowed him more freedom to get forward, this season Chelsea have changed their system again and the games I’ve seen Kante has been playing as a forward playing midfielder, I can’t comment on City and how Fernandinho plays as I go out of my way not to watch them. 

Also that isn’t the only way Schneiderlin can play refer to his stats when he made his mark at Southampton. 

Looking forward to Gomes and with one holding mid with Gylfi and Gomes further forward. Can’t help but think this system and style of play would have suited Barkley perfectly though. 

20 hours ago, markjazzbassist said:

agreed on the barry part, barry was able to drop passes in over the CB's in front of lukaku, or play 1 2's to players in/around the box.  morgan does none of that.  barry even scored some goals!  he was around the box and helping in attack always.  

I’d have rather seen him sit further back and us concede less goals. Scoring goals wasn’t our problem back then. 

On 06/09/2018 at 15:41, Bailey said:

I am actually a big fan of a sole DM with two more attacking midfielders ahead of him but like you say the DM has to be good on the ball and mobile. I think Schneiderlin is decent enough on the ball, he seems to have good awareness in possession and I also think he is a good long range passer but the problem for me is that he is just very conservative

Would you rather he labour on the ball?

On 06/09/2018 at 10:42, nyblue23 said:

How many times do we see Schneiderlin actually make a last-man potentially goal-preventing tackle, though? I’m struggling to remember one.

We have a DM who gives his all to make a goal-preventing tackle. He broke his leg while doing so, and I can’t wait to have him back. 

7 hours ago, Matt said:

Still embarrassing that we did what we did

What did we do that was embarrassing? Watford can't expect loyalty from managers when they treat them so shoddily.

I don't know if we've broken any rules in our approach for Silva I genuinely hope we haven't, but if we have I wouldn't complain if we were docked points.

The tapping up rules are in place to protect teams like us from the likes of your City's and Chelsea, so if we have shown no class and broke the rules then if the penalties not severe what's to stop the likes of them walking all over the likes of teams like us.

44 minutes ago, Palfy said:

I don't know if we've broken any rules in our approach for Silva I genuinely hope we haven't, but if we have I wouldn't complain if we were docked points.

The tapping up rules are in place to protect teams like us from the likes of your City's and Chelsea, so if we have shown no class and broke the rules then if the penalties not severe what's to stop the likes of them walking all over the likes of teams like us.

Well said

41 minutes ago, Palfy said:

I agree with this to an extent. As there seem to be so many cases that I’d actually like to see the difference revealed between this and cases from top 6 teams to show there are no discrepancies between our case and say that of VVD even Man U and Moyes comes to mind. 

All in all, I’m 100% behind this rule as it’s  

47 minutes ago, Palfy said:

Because some time it’s one rule for one and quite another for the so called top 6! 

1 hour ago, Palfy said:

The Sky 6 don’t play by the same rule book 

3 hours ago, Palfy said:

1 point maybe? It's hardly the worst offense and will be hard done by given that the top 6 get away with this sort of behavior constantly. 

You all should check out the Watford fan forum - amazing how big of a deal this is for them since they're a small club with no rivals.

3 hours ago, Quinn31 said:

1 point maybe? It's hardly the worst offense and will be hard done by given that the top 6 get away with this sort of behavior constantly. 

You all should check out the Watford fan forum - amazing how big of a deal this is for them since they're a small club with no rivals.

That might well have something to do with their 100% record at this moment in time, I think everyone would see it very differently if an illegal approach was made for Pickford and he was swayed by it and wanted to leave, it has to stop and fines don't hurt the big clubs but point deductions will and in the worst case's even relegation as happened to Swindon Town.

Something has to protect the club's who can't just buy their way to the the top to stop the bigger clubs from destroying what they are trying to build, it's not an even playing field as it to allow illegal approaches to go unpunished in away that hurts, will mean clubs like ours will never be able to complete for the top places.

Like I said I hope we haven't made an illegal approach if we have how can we then moan when City go we want Pickford and tap him up, in the long term if it isn'tt punished severely it hurts the likes of us more than them.

6 hours ago, duncanmckenzieismagic said:

The Sky 6 don’t play by the same rule book 

Well surely that's down to the other 14 clubs to highlight and lobby the F.A if justice isn'tt seen to be done, and if necessary use the courts to sue the F.A for not up holding the rules fairly.

But what we can't have is a free for all.

There should be a consistent rule. Even if clubs settle the dispute financially they should still be punished by the league. 

How come no action/investigation has been started into Watford after Silva stating they spoke to him prior? 

1 hour ago, pete0 said:

There should be a consistent rule. Even if clubs settle the dispute financially they should still be punished by the league. 

How come no action/investigation has been started into Watford after Silva stating they spoke to him prior? 

I agree PeteO if there’s any knowledge of wrongdoing then it should automatically be investigated and if found guilty an automatic 10 points deduction at minimum, that will help the smaller clubs keep their assets and allow them to be more competitive 

What amazes me is that a club goes into liquidation they are docked 10 points which in most cases condemns them to automatic relegation to add to there woes which in turn makes them a less viable proposition for a buyout, yet big clubs making illegal approaches for players and managers could condemn the smaller club to relegation in time, surely that should warrant more of a punishment than a club going into liquidation. 

15 minutes ago, Romey 1878 said:

I find it a bit bizarre that any of our fans would advocate us being made an example of in this way when the "bigger" clubs get away with it. You only have to look back recently to the shite and VVD. 

If the rules had always been applied then I would have absolutely no problem with us getting a huge fine and a points deduction (if warranted), but the fact is that the rules don't apply. So if we are the ones to get punished in this way I hope we fight it tooth and nail and drag every fucker through every court going.

Look at the bigger picture Romey it’s got to stop, and I haven’t witnessed anyone say just punish us that would be ridiculous the rules should be inforced for everyone no exceptions, and if a club as been proved to have broken the rules and the powers to be don’t inforce punishment than drag them through every court in the land where they can explain why it’s one rule most and another for some. 

38 minutes ago, Palfy said:

Look at the bigger picture Romey it’s got to stop, and I haven’t witnessed anyone say just punish us that would be ridiculous the rules should be inforced for everyone no exceptions, and if a club as been proved to have broken the rules and the powers to be don’t inforce punishment than drag them through every court in the land where they can explain why it’s one rule most and another for some. 

I haven't said anyone has said it should be only us that get punished. I've said I don't see why we should be the ones that get made an example of. You want to show the rules apply then the shite should have been strung up over VVD. But what happened? They said sorry and all was forgiven and forgotten. Why? Because they're the darlings of the football world to the authorities.

What needs to happen is that the lawmakers need to give us just a slap on the wrist (if we're even guilty of anything) like they've done to everyone else, then say from this point forward we will apply the laws to the letter and clubs will be punished to the fullest. Then everyone knows exactly where they stand. But I will be fuming if we get a massive punishment when not even that long ago absolutely nothing happened to a club that actually admitted to it all!

Have we actually tapped him up though? 

Apparently we promised not to chase him in the summer, we’ll sorry Watford... you made that void when you sacked him.

1 hour ago, Shukes said:

Have we actually tapped him up though? 

Apparently we promised not to chase him in the summer, we’ll sorry Watford... you made that void when you sacked him.

As far as I understand it’s all about the offers made to Watford to get him and then us leaking them to the press to build a bit of pressure. 

No reports of speaking directly to him, we will have spoken to his agent though. 

3 hours ago, Palfy said:

Diving has got to stop ... so what did they do? Yes they made diving punishable by review panel. Niasse got banned and was the only player to get done despite there being far worse examples.

Let's not get all pious and be the only turkey voting for Christmas when all the other turkeys are pretending to be chickens. 

It's about time we start throwing some grenades ourselves. We get shafted all the time. 

20 hours ago, hafnia said:

What did we do that was embarrassing? Watford can't expect loyalty from managers when they treat them so shoddily.

Tapping up. We all laughed when the shite went after [insert player here, but I’m thinking ofVVD] but when we did it no one seems to bat an eyelid. It’s just hypocritical and embarrassing 

18 minutes ago, Matt said:

Tapping up. We all laughed when the shite went after [insert player here, but I’m thinking ofVVD] but when we did it no one seems to bat an eyelid. It’s just hypocritical and embarrassing 

Making an approach for a manager is not tapping up, and that’s all we know that we did. When or if it’s proven we tapped him up then you can be embarrassed about it all. 

Would you like us to criticise the club for something we don’t even know they did yet? 

We laughed at the shite because they admitted it. It was a fact. Completely different situation. 

We went after him publicly. That’s a fact. If you want to think we’re any better than the shite because it’s a manager instead of a player, then fair enough. For me, we did not conduct ourselves well and I find it baffling that people have such double standards on the topic

6 minutes ago, Matt said:

We went after him publicly. That’s a fact. If you want to think we’re any better than the shite because it’s a manager instead of a player, then fair enough. For me, we did not conduct ourselves well and I find it baffling that people have such double standards on the topic

I don’t remember the club making any public statements about us wanting Silva. Can you link them? I’m genuinely asking. 

I don’t think it’s different because it was a manager instead of a player. It’s different because the shite admitted they’d tapped him up, Klopp said he’d personally met VVD, and the club apologised for tapping him up. As far as I’m aware we approached Watford for Silva, offered compensation for taking him, Watford turned the approach down and we hired someone else instead. I’m not seeing where we’ve tapped him up or where the double standards are tbh. 

Just now, Matt said:

3 approaches were made. The club made no official statement to my knowledge, but the media was saturated with the stories at the time. Add 2 and 2 together and it’s quite clear how we conducted ourselves 

So it’s a fact we went after him publicly but there’s nothing from Everton themselves... hmm, so WE didn’t go after him publicly at all. 

Weird how whenever the media publish stories with no quotes or official word you dismiss them without fail, but on this occasion you’re all over it and saying it makes it fact. Not like you at all, Matt!

57 minutes ago, Matt said:

We went after him publicly. That’s a fact.

Since when is that illegal, am I missing something?! Clubs are chasing their targets publicly or privately. The rules are to not establish a contact with the subject of interest regarding proposed move without having permission from the club he's currently under a contract. And we didn't went publicly after him. No club official said a word about him publicly before we signed him officially and that's the fact. The story went in the press, but the source of information was clearly Watford and not us. They made the whole story public, and we actually don't know our stance on it, whether it's true or not, our club haven't said a word yet.

35 minutes ago, Romey 1878 said:

So it’s a fact we went after him publicly but there’s nothing from Everton themselves... hmm, so WE didn’t go after him publicly at all. 

Weird how whenever the media publish stories with no quotes or official word you dismiss them without fail, but on this occasion you’re all over it and saying it makes it fact. Not like you at all, Matt!

To be honest, im not myself at the moment. But I remember being unhappy st the time and it’s kinda stuck with me. 

Maybe if I ever sleep again I’ll be more reasonable on the topic :lol:

1 minute ago, Matt said:

To be honest, im not myself at the moment. But I remember being unhappy st the time and it’s kinda stuck with me. 

Maybe if I ever sleep again I’ll be more reasonable on the topic :lol:

Have a Snickers!

If that advert isn’t shown where you are then this will have gone down like a lead balloon :( 

7 hours ago, hafnia said:

Diving has got to stop ... so what did they do? Yes they made diving punishable by review panel. Niasse got banned and was the only player to get done despite there being far worse examples.

Let's not get all pious and be the only turkey voting for Christmas when all the other turkeys are pretending to be chickens. 

It's about time we start throwing some grenades ourselves. We get shafted all the time. 

I’m not trying to be pious Haf I want the rules to be enforced to protect smaller clubs from the big clubs,  we could need that protection in the near future with 1 or 2 players.

I agree the implementation of the rules by F.A at the moment is a farce but that doesn’t mean we should all dismiss what they were put there to achieve, otherwise Pickford could be a City player by start of next season. 

29 minutes ago, Palfy said:

I’m not trying to be pious Haf I want the rules to be enforced to protect smaller clubs from the big clubs,  we could need that protection in the near future with 1 or 2 players.

I agree the implementation of the rules by F.A at the moment is a farce but that doesn’t mean we should all dismiss what they were put there to achieve, otherwise Pickford could be a City player by start of next season. 

Not specifically you palfy. There just appears to be a very strong "if we are wrong then we should be punished" element.

For me it's like having 7 older siblings who are smashing windows, treating the house like shit, playing truant and they get off scott free yet little old Everton gets grounded for a month for pinching a biscuit from the cookie jar. 

There is a huge imbalance of fairness going on.... one which would make Serena Williams know what "unfair" really is. 

Till the day that rules and decisions are meted out on a consistent basis on and off the pitch I will allow our club to wrestle in the dirt in order to not allow ourselves to be victimised. 

13 hours ago, Matt said:

To be fair the media linked us heavily with 3 or 4 managers and I doubt we "leaked" them all if any. 

12 hours ago, Romey 1878 said:

Have a Snickers!

If that advert isn’t shown where you are then this will have gone down like a lead balloon :( 

I know the advert mate :) 

Let's be honest, tapping up accusations or not, everything about our recruitment has been shambolic since Moshiri arrived. Koeman, Walsh, Allardyce collectively dragged this club back to the dark ages in the space of a season. Keane, Schneiderlin, Klaasen, Bolasie, Tosun, Sigurdsson - it's verging on criminal how much we overpaid for those 6.

I really, really hope with Brands, Silva and the changes in the board we have finally stopped the rot. But it will take 12 months at least to undo the mess from what went before, and a fine/points deduction really would sum up the way the club was run for a couple of years. Quite frankly I feel a lot of embarrassment being an Evertonian at the moment, it's been a pretty poor episode in our history all round. 

I’m with Matt on this. Just because others do it and get away with it doesn’t mean we should. That’s the Serena Williams argument, and she was downright wrong. We’re the people’s club, right? Doesn’t that carry responsibility? Do we want the community to look up to us for our integrity, or is it all about winning no matter how far into the mud we dive? Principles matter. They define us. 

1 hour ago, Cornish Steve said:

I’m with Matt on this. Just because others do it and get away with it doesn’t mean we should. That’s the Serena Williams argument, and she was downright wrong. We’re the people’s club, right? Doesn’t that carry responsibility? Do we want the community to look up to us for our integrity, or is it all about winning no matter how far into the mud we dive? Principles matter. They define us. 

Again.... what have we done wrong?