Sign in to follow this  
Bluemineck

Marco Silva (manager)

I like and rate Marco, but I'm concerned that he never seems to be that inspiring when speaking to the press, is it the same in the dresssing room,. In the early part of the season it was clear to see he had built up a strong positive team mentality, but we've lost that in the last month or so, does he have it in him to bring it back and get us back to winning ways and soon? It's puzzling to see us going from a 5-1 away win to being piss poor in the next two games, yesterday in particular was more disappointing than the Spurs game, Leicester showed no real intent in the first half to get forward, Spurs at least went for us. 

3 hours ago, Gwlad all over said:

He's also not mentioning the fans like he did at the beginning.

Maybe he's just worried he may forget to use "we" appropriately. 

11 hours ago, johnh said:

I wonder whose tapped him up now?

Gotta say, it had crossed my mind but I'm going to stick to a bad patch which will allow him to show what he's made of.

Hope he’s given time to turn it around. The thing I worry most is that it will not take many more games like we’ve been playing fo major discontent to set in. These kind of results can create disharmony, between players, fans and manager and you can find yourself in a real tail spin. I think we gotta stick it out for a year or two now. Terrifying thing is, if things do turn to absolute crud, we’ve burned our bridge with fireman Sam now! Might have to get Unsworth in again lol!

Must say though I was never convinced by Silvas record in England, and found it strange so many people were clamoring to get him on board.

2 hours ago, wolf8312 said:

Hope he’s given time to turn it around. The thing I worry most is that it will not take many more games like we’ve been playing fo major discontent to set in. These kind of results can create disharmony, between players, fans and manager and you can find yourself in a real tail spin. I think we gotta stick it out for a year or two now. Terrifying thing is, if things do turn to absolute crud, we’ve burned our bridge with fireman Sam now! Might have to get Unsworth in again lol!

Must say though I was never convinced by Silvas record in England, and found it strange so many people were clamoring to get him on board.

Always wish your forum name was Wolf359...

The volume of games in a short space of time has to be an issue, but the biggest problem in all of that is we don’t have quality in depth. Yeah, we’ve got loads of players, but they aren’t all of the same standard. We can’t swap players and have a like for like, it’s just not going to happen. So we’ve got maybe as many as eight players who need a rest now. 

The last couple of week will be a nightmare for a manager. 

Play Spurs

debrief and stretching session

Team meeting and stretching session (Christmas Day)

play Burnley 

Debrief and stretching session

team meeting and stretching session then travel to Brighton

play Brighton then travel home

team meeting and stretching session (NYE)

play Leicester

Maybe a bit of light training

team meeting and maybe some light training

play Lincoln

As much as it’s all part of our season and our traditions, it’s not an easy time to keep the tempo up in a squad. They will all be carrying some knocks and bumps, they will have been up at maybe 5 or 6 to eat a meal on the morning of the Leicester game, no doubt after being up until midnight to see the year in with their kids and family. If we still look so flat against Bournmouth I’ll worry. 

21 minutes ago, StevO said:

The volume of games in a short space of time has to be an issue, but the biggest problem in all of that is we don’t have quality in depth. Yeah, we’ve got loads of players, but they aren’t all of the same standard. We can’t swap players and have a like for like, it’s just not going to happen. So we’ve got maybe as many as eight players who need a rest now. 

Play Spurs

play Burnley 

play Leicester

play Lincoln

As much as it’s all part of our season and our traditions, it’s not an easy time to keep the tempo up in a squad. They will all be carrying some knocks and bumps, they will have been up at maybe 5 or 6 to eat a meal on the morning of the Leicester game, no doubt after being up until midnight to see the year in with their kids and family. If we still look so flat against Bournmouth I’ll worry. 

Good points. If your not quite right at this time of the season its these little things that just add up at the elite level and where the game come thick and fast the poor momentum going into the game (even going back to the Liverpool game, not beating Newcastle, letting the lead go at Watford and missing a penalty, then playing Spurs and City in short succession). I don't think he helped himself by switching in and out of 5 at the back, but maybe he thought that necessary given Gana's injury and no like for like replacement with Schneiderlin not looking up for it.

Under Moyes you could almost always guarantee that this is where our season would turn, I'm not really sure why, but I always felt we were more robust at this time of year compared to the more recent sides. Maybe it was because his side had more grafters, more players used to the league and more experience generally but they kicked on when others wilted.

1 hour ago, Gwlad all over said:

Just acknowledge that fans have been let down recently.

We’ve been let down for about 30 years, in most of that time no one has expected a weekly apology. 

Cant expect after every game him to come out and say how great the fans have been, to be honest Goodison is dead. I’d rather he aknowledge the fans being quiet. 

http://sportwitness.co.uk/evertons-marco-silva-approached-take-charge-portuguese-giants-one-strongest-names-list/

But Record mentions a possibility of getting Marco Silva as well. They say an approach has already been made, and he’s one of the ‘strongest names’ mentioned at Estádio da Luz.

They say that Silva’s arrival would be for the 2019-20 season, but with Rui Vitória being sacked and Everton not having a great time in the Premier League, the move could be done sooner than expected.

not worried in the least, if he wants to leave then he was never meant to be here in the first place and wouldn't be delaying the ineveitable.  also if he does leave Brands has more than proven his value and i would hope farhad would take his advisement into the manager.  I would trust a brands recommendation for manager.  i have the feeling moshiri kinda told brands who to hire.

12 hours ago, markjazzbassist said:

not worried in the least, if he wants to leave then he was never meant to be here in the first place and wouldn't be delaying the ineveitable.  also if he does leave Brands has more than proven his value and i would hope farhad would take his advisement into the manager.  I would trust a brands recommendation for manager.  i have the feeling moshiri kinda told brands who to hire.

Didn’t Moshiri hire Marco anyway? It was pretty obvious he was his man. 

Said it a few times give the man two summer transfer windows 

It won't happen overnight, we don't want a managerial merry-go-round and we are hardly a lucrative outfit ATM to attract the top ready made managers 

If we went looking elsewhere we'd be taking a punt on a young up and coming manager which is what we have now  

On 03/01/2019 at 23:20, StevO said:

Play Spurs

play Burnley 

play Leicester

play Lincoln

It's the same for everyone give or take a day at tops.

There is issues with a fair few things... defensive he juggles... we are poor from set pieces. 

He hasn't sorted out richarlisons antics... it took him till now to drip Theo...

I wanted him in and I must say I'm a bit disappointed. He looks lost. 

21 minutes ago, Gwlad all over said:

I agree he has to be given time but ffs to labour against a League 2 side, albeit the top one, is not acceptable.

It happens, we laboured against University College Dublin in the Cup winners Cup in 1984 but still won the thing:D.

UCD’s European debut in the 1984-85 season remains, 30 years later, the finest achievement in the club’s history. The adventure began when UCD won the 1983 FAI Cup with a 2-1 replay victory over Shamrock Rovers. This qualified the students for the following season’s Cup Winners Cup where they faced Everton in the first round. Many feared a heavy defeat, perhaps even one to match Tottenham Hotspurs 14-0 demolition of Drogheda United in the previous seasons UEFA Cup. But, in front of a packed Tolka Park, UCD held an Everton side including Kevin Sheedy, Trevor Steven, Graeme Sharp, Peter Reid and Paul Bracewell to a magnificent 0-0 draw. A fortnight later at Goodison Park UCD came within inches of pulling off perhaps the greatest shock in the history of European club football with a shot that grazed the Everton crossbar in the dying moments of the match. This incident is recalled in detail in the autobiography of Everton goalkeeper Neville Southall who explains “in the European Cup Winners’ Cup first round we played University College Dublin – a student team basically. Everyone expected a walkover, but they held us to a goalless draw in Ireland and in the last few minutes of the second leg at Goodison had a shot that clipped my bar. We were winning 1-0 at the time but had it gone in they would have gone through on away goals.”

1 hour ago, hafnia said:

It's the same for everyone give or take a day at tops.

There is issues with a fair few things... defensive he juggles... we are poor from set pieces. 

He hasn't sorted out richarlisons antics... it took him till now to drip Theo...

I wanted him in and I must say I'm a bit disappointed. He looks lost. 

Of course it’s the same for everyone, and that is why you see Leicester beat Chelsea then lose to Cardiff. That is why you see Palace beat City. That is why you see Wolves beat Spurs after they spank us. 

It puts teams all over the place and doesn’t leave enough time to address issues and correct them on the training pitch. 

1 hour ago, StevO said:

Of course it’s the same for everyone, and that is why you see Leicester beat Chelsea then lose to Cardiff. That is why you see Palace beat City. That is why you see Wolves beat Spurs after they spank us. 

It puts teams all over the place and doesn’t leave enough time to address issues and correct them on the training pitch. 

We've won 1 in 8 in the league Steve.... trust me I wanted Silva in. I'm all for giving him a chance...but I'm not prepared to give him excuses.

Not good enough and he has work to do.  Schedule etc.... nope. The players have been sloppy, disorganised, issues with attitude too as far as im concerned. His persistence in subbing bernie whilst leaving Walcott on was troubling... his meddling with centre halves.  He's all over the shop. 

9 minutes ago, London Blue said:

Before the Liverpool game everyone was praising us and saying what a magnificent job Silva had done.

Fickle fans..........

Yep.

And I was one of them.

I thought Martinez was great and koeman at some stage too.

It's all about addressing things that go wrong... understanding the source, correcting it.  If it doesn't happen then it's on the manager. 

3 minutes ago, London Blue said:

Martinez had 3 seasons, Koeman 1 and a half. Lets Give Silva a couple of seasons before we judge.

That's 4 transfer windows to corrects the mistakes of the last 8.

Spot on, we have been in decline ever since Moyes left , bar the one season that Martinez lived off his defence

Martinez & Koeman squandered millions on poor players, then throw in the shambles of Allerdyce and people wonder why Silva hasn’t got us top of the league in 21 games 🤷🏻‍♂️😏

New managers come in and hit the ground running and I'd say that happened with Roberto. Marco never seemed to do that. Softly softly approach. I really don't want him to fail as the last thing we want is another change of manager but I'd like to see something positive from him which gives us the fans some hope that there is a strategy/plan for tactics.

3 hours ago, hafnia said:

We've won 1 in 8 in the league Steve.... trust me I wanted Silva in. I'm all for giving him a chance...but I'm not prepared to give him excuses.

Not good enough and he has work to do.  Schedule etc.... nope. The players have been sloppy, disorganised, issues with attitude too as far as im concerned. His persistence in subbing bernie whilst leaving Walcott on was troubling... his meddling with centre halves.  He's all over the shop. 

I disagree, won’t be the first or last time. 

4 hours ago, London Blue said:

Before the Liverpool game everyone was praising us and saying what a magnificent job Silva had done.

Fickle fans..........

Think people have credited Brands more than the manager. People were more hyped at Alladyce leaving rather than what manager was taking over. 

10 hours ago, Gwlad all over said:

New managers come in and hit the ground running and I'd say that happened with Roberto. Marco never seemed to do that. Softly softly approach. I really don't want him to fail as the last thing we want is another change of manager but I'd like to see something positive from him which gives us the fans some hope that there is a strategy/plan for tactics.

To be fair Martinez inherited a top 6 side who had just finished the season with the 4th best defensive record in the Premiership . Silva walked into an absolute shit show that needed a complete rebuild 

I didn't want us to go for Marco Silva to start with tbh. Now he's here, he gets my support and I'm happy to wait and see what the situation is like come November/December. That should be enough time for him to bring in the players he wants and have them playing the way he wants. If at that time we find ourselves bobbing about in the lower half of the table with no real signs of improvement, then I feel the matter of his ability/suitability will need to be addressed and some serious questions asked.

1 hour ago, duncanmckenzieismagic said:

To be fair Martinez inherited a top 6 side who had just finished the season with the 4th best defensive record in the Premiership . Silva walked into an absolute shit show that needed a complete rebuild 

Were was patience for Alladyce? Silva is doing no better than him even though the squad is much improved Digne, Zouma, Gomes, Richarlison. Add to that Coleman and Keane are fitter too. Silva has a team that 50% has been improved on yet he's doing no better than the last manager who had Bolasie, Baines, and Coleman coming back from injuries, Keane playing with injections, an over the hill Jags/Williams playing on pride, and the Schneiderlin-Gana partnership. Last seasons squad was terrible, no pace other than Walcott and it's been improved on massively yet Silva unless he wins his next three games is doing a worse job than the last manager. 

42 minutes ago, Romey 1878 said:

Yay, lets destabilise things again

Should have stuck with Allardyce another year to build the foundations plus keep a bit of stability. Defence/midfield would have been sorted out and then the next manager could have come in to make us more attacking. 

15 minutes ago, Makis said:

I'm not even going to comment about the fact an Evertonian wanted to keep Allardyce except to say I nearly quit watching the matches because they were so horrible to watch. I basically put them on the second monitor and had a peek the one or two times a game we actually got a shot on goal.

He had Koeman and Walsh's players. We'd be relegated with that squad and Silva. Alladyce come in and straight away addressed pace as an issue and got Walcott to join, brought in a striker too although he's not quite cut the mustard he done enough. Alladyce was also after a strong midfielder, if he was still here that would have been prioritised. Most the signings are Brands other than Richarlison, but I'm guessing Alladyce would have prioritised a striker, and most likely Brands would have found a better one than Richarlison is. 

The team Alladyce had last year was averaging slightly more points than Silva. Do you not agree we'd have more points if Alladyce had the better team we have now? 

24 minutes ago, pete0 said:

He had Koeman and Walsh's players. We'd be relegated with that squad and Silva. Alladyce come in and straight away addressed pace as an issue and got Walcott to join, brought in a striker too although he's not quite cut the mustard he done enough. Alladyce was also after a strong midfielder, if he was still here that would have been prioritised. Most the signings are Brands other than Richarlison, but I'm guessing Alladyce would have prioritised a striker, and most likely Brands would have found a better one than Richarlison is. 

The team Alladyce had last year was averaging slightly more points than Silva. Do you not agree we'd have more points if Alladyce had the better team we have now? 

Not a chance. Mostly because we wouldn’t have signed any of the players we did with that person in charge of the team and even if we had, he wouldn’t play to their strengths. We’d be even worse off points wise, morale wise and bored out of our fucking minds whilst getting battered. 

50 minutes ago, Matt said:

Not a chance. Mostly because we wouldn’t have signed any of the players we did with that person in charge of the team and even if we had, he wouldn’t play to their strengths. We’d be even worse off points wise, morale wise and bored out of our fucking minds whilst getting battered. 

Why would Brands not be able to get the same players? Bar Richarlison the manager didn't have much influence in convincing them. Digne, Mina, and Gomes all come from Brands relationship with Barca. Zouma just wants minutes to show what he can do, if anything a defender would rather play for fat Sam. Bernard I would assume was Brands too, can't imagine Silva would have had him on his radar to join Watford. 

@hafnia

You talk about winning yet we've got less points per game with a better squad under Silva than Alladyce. Logically Alladyce would have considerably more points with this team than Silva has managed. 

Yes the football was shit but what do you expect with the team he inherited? The only exciting player we had was Walcott and Alladyce brought him here. You must have a very short memory as even just for half a season the money spent on him was worth it. He was the only player we had that could get you out of your seat. The football from the rest was drab and boring but you can't blame Alladyce he was playing with the hand he was dealt. 

Given all the players bar Richarlison do you not think Alladyce would have got us more points? More organised? Better to watch than the previous year? 

I'm not saying we should have kept him long term, but short term to build a core and given a little stability whilst Brands works his magic. 

9 minutes ago, pete0 said:

Why would Brands not be able to get the same players? Bar Richarlison the manager didn't have much influence in convincing them. Digne, Mina, and Gomes all come from Brands relationship with Barca. Zouma just wants minutes to show what he can do, if anything a defender would rather play for fat Sam. Bernard I would assume was Brands too, can't imagine Silva would have had him on his radar to join Watford. 

No, because Brands wouldn’t have joined knowing that waste of oxygen was in charge, and the players wouldn’t have come either. 

I really hope you’re on a windup here, because this topic will descend into the depths of Gana like ridiculous if you’re not. 

Just now, Matt said:

No, because Brands wouldn’t have joined knowing that waste of oxygen was in charge, and the players wouldn’t have come either. 

I really hope you’re on a windup here, because this topic will descend into the depths of Gana like ridiculous if you’re not. 

Based on what? 

Alladyce convinced Anelka to join Bolton, if he can do that I don't see why a player like Digne who just wants to play would be put off.

15 minutes ago, pete0 said:

Based on what? 

Alladyce convinced Anelka to join Bolton, if he can do that I don't see why a player like Digne who just wants to play would be put off.

You’re not on a windup are you? :( 

based on nothing more than you’ve got from a signing a player 20 years ago to say he would. Except the knowledge of how he operates, the “experience” we had under his thankfully short lived, panic-induced tenure, his unjustified arrogance and delusion of the scumbag. 

You give Walsh a hard time and blame him for what the last manager inherited - he was Walsh’s pick, and that should answer any reason why the self-serving prick shouldn’t even be mentioned again in regards with this club

12 minutes ago, pete0 said:

@hafnia

You talk about winning yet we've got less points per game with a better squad under Silva than Alladyce. Logically Alladyce would have considerably more points with this team than Silva has managed. 

Yes the football was shit but what do you expect with the team he inherited? The only exciting player we had was Walcott and Alladyce brought him here. You must have a very short memory as even just for half a season the money spent on him was worth it. He was the only player we had that could get you out of your seat. The football from the rest was drab and boring but you can't blame Alladyce he was playing with the hand he was dealt. 

Given all the players bar Richarlison do you not think Alladyce would have got us more points? More organised? Better to watch than the previous year? 

I'm not saying we should have kept him long term, but short term to build a core and given a little stability whilst Brands works his magic. 

If Silva is not the answer then we get rid....  allardyce was not the answer.. we got rid. 

Comparing silvas points to allardyce is a waste of time.  Silva is at least daring to be expansive.... he is taking risks in order to win games allardyce took no risks in order not to lose games.  Allardyces style does not change regardless of where the club is.... its anti football and an embarrassment.

The players are better than the performances maybe....

As far as im concerned if a manager isn'tt up to it after a reasonable chance we get rid.... that chance doesn't need to be based on time... it needs to be based on understanding if he can address issues, correct things, allardyce displayed a steadfast refusal to do anything other than play an awful brand of football even when safe.

Why do we have fans who look back and say "the previous manager was better?"..... he may have been better but he wasn't good enough... 

The last time we had managers leave that I regretted was Kendall the first time and Royle.  Other than that.... none. We move on.

All the teams that win things of recent years have ditched better managers than we will suffer.

28 minutes ago, pete0 said:

Based on what? 

Allardyce convinced Anelka to join Bolton? ..  he also persuaded Geremi to join Newcastle, David Thompson, Chris Armstrong, habib Beye and numerous other dog shit footballers.

Laughable. 

It worries me that several players who were performing earlier in the season, are now not. I hope this isn'tt because Silver is losing the dressing room. (I said 'losing' not 'lost').  Once a manager has lost the dressing room there is no coming back.

Comparing silvas points to allardyce is a waste of time.  Silva is at least daring to be expansive.... he is taking risks in order to win games allardyce took no risks in order not to lose games.  Allardyces style does not change regardless of where the club is.... its anti football and an embarrassment

@hafnia

I'm not calling for Marco's head and don't dispute him needing time to build his squad but for all his risk-taking we've won 7 drawn 6 lost 8.

1 hour ago, StevO said:

I don’t think there is anything to suggest he’s lost the dressing room. I just don’t get all the panic at the moment, we all need to chill out and see what happens over the next few months. 

I don't think there is any panic. But we're playing poorly so fans are entitled to feel frustrated. 

Everyone is entitled to their opinion and now there is surely going to be debate about Silva’s suitability during a prolonged bad spell. My concern is that, Keane apart, he hasn’t seemed to improve any players. He’s a coach first and foremost and in my opinion he needs to get more out of players that did actually finish 8th last season. We are quick to just say players are shite, when really, schneiderlin and Walcott walk into teams like Huddersfield, Brighton and Leicester who we are struggling against. Granted his signings have been our better players. But are the other players really that bad? For me managers are judged on how players are playing in proportion to their ability. Moyes got players to over perform during his time with us, klopps doing the same at Liverpool...I’m not seeing those raw ingredients from Silva 

Can’t be doing with all this manager v manager shite. The game is a different game when it was under moyes. I’ve been underwhelmed as all of us but unless we give Marco another another two windows to get a settled squad then we are all daft. Klopp has been given a get out of jail card for some reason. He has won nothing but spent fortunes. It’s only till he bought van dijk then he knew.