Sign in to follow this  
Bluemineck

Marco Silva (manager)

I don't think there's anything to be worried about at all. The players have been letting him down most matches recently, with a lack of squad depth making things more apparent. 

He's made a few mistakes, but this is nothing like the last few managers we've had.  

54 minutes ago, StevO said:

I think there is a lot of panic, here, social media and at the match. I agree with being entitled to be frustrated, but as Mark has said already this will take time. 

There’s lots of panic at the game. It’s ridiculous. 

14 minutes ago, Romey 1878 said:

There’s lots of panic at the game. It’s ridiculous. 

I’m thinking the same mate. I’ve seen the players panic when we concede a goal, but now it’s just as bad in the stands. I don’t get it. We need to chill out. 

49 minutes ago, Shukes said:

Cut out a few individual errors in recent weeks and things suddenly look a lot rosier.

This is why I am not panicking and giving him time.

You not worried about the mentality followed by the mistakes? 

Remember Watford battering us last year and should have been more than 2 up only to completely fold once we grabbed one back. 

7 hours ago, StevO said:

I think there is a lot of panic, here, social media and at the match. I agree with being entitled to be frustrated, but as Mark has said already this will take time. 

I'm not panicking but tell you what, am disappointed. Accept we're not going to be a top 6 side any time soon and give the manager time. Now we have a savvy DoF and young manager not to mention some pretty significant (for us) signings but given that I'd have expected us to have made more of an impact on the top 8.

22 minutes ago, Gwlad all over said:

I'm not panicking but tell you what, am disappointed. Accept we're not going to be a top 6 side any time soon and give the manager time. Now we have a savvy DoF and young manager not to mention some pretty significant (for us) signings but given that I'd have expected us to have made more of an impact on the top 8.

We’re only halfway through the season. We might go on a winning streak, you never know. Beginning of March will give us an idea of where we’ll finish, you just can’t tell what’ll happen any sooner. It was the same last year, despite people convinced otherwise. 

Anyway, until then there’s no reason to panic or be disappointed. Frustrated I completely understand though. 

8 hours ago, StevO said:

I’m thinking the same mate. I’ve seen the players panic when we concede a goal, but now it’s just as bad in the stands. I don’t get it. We need to chill out. 

Panic on and off the pitch are two different things. To me, panic amongst fans is what we went through last season where there was a genuine fear we could get relegated. I'm not reading or hearing anything like that. And for the few that are calling for Silva's head already, there's always the knee jerk reactionary minority. 

Panic on the pitch is more of a worry because you have to wonder why. It suggests you feel like you're going to get beat. 

1 hour ago, nogs said:

Panic on and off the pitch are two different things. To me, panic amongst fans is what we went through last season where there was a genuine fear we could get relegated. I'm not reading or hearing anything like that. And for the few that are calling for Silva's head already, there's always the knee jerk reactionary minority. 

Panic on the pitch is more of a worry because you have to wonder why. It suggests you feel like you're going to get beat. 

I never had the fear of relegation myself, but there’s been enough idiots on the radio talking about sacking him and the even bigger idiots with the #silvaout on Twitter. 

If you can keep your head when all about you   
    Are losing theirs and blaming it on you,   
If you can trust yourself when all men doubt you,
    But make allowance for their doubting too;   
If you can wait and not be tired by waiting,
    Or being lied about, don’t deal in lies,
Or being hated, don’t give way to hating,
    And yet don’t look too good, nor talk too wise:

If you can dream—and not make dreams your master;   
    If you can think—and not make thoughts your aim;   
If you can meet with Triumph and Disaster
    And treat those two impostors just the same;   
If you can bear to hear the truth you’ve spoken
    Twisted by knaves to make a trap for fools,
Or watch the things you gave your life to, broken,
    And stoop and build ’em up with worn-out tools:

If you can make one heap of all your winnings
    And risk it on one turn of pitch-and-toss,
And lose, and start again at your beginnings
    And never breathe a word about your loss;
If you can force your heart and nerve and sinew
    To serve your turn long after they are gone,   
And so hold on when there is nothing in you
    Except the Will which says to them: ‘Hold on!’

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,   
    Or walk with Kings—nor lose the common touch,
If neither foes nor loving friends can hurt you,
    If all men count with you, but none too much;
If you can fill the unforgiving minute
    With sixty seconds’ worth of distance run,   
Yours is the Earth and everything that’s in it,   
    And—which is more—you’ll be an Everton Fan, my son!

13 hours ago, Bailey said:

Think about how many times we would have sacked Moyes had we just given him til the Christmas time.

Yep, all those titles/cups we would have missed out on, makes you really wonder.

Hang on...

21 hours ago, pete0 said:

You not worried about the mentality followed by the mistakes? 

Remember Watford battering us last year and should have been more than 2 up only to completely fold once we grabbed one back. 

I do yes. I think our players sometimes look nervous and scared that another mistake is coming. 

Take Keanes mistake, it’s not like he punched the floor in frustration after, instead he looked pale.

I want to see emotion and a determination to put it right.

9 hours ago, Chach said:

Yep, all those titles/cups we would have missed out on, makes you really wonder.

Hang on...

😂

3 hours ago, Shukes said:

I do yes. I think our players sometimes look nervous and scared that another mistake is coming. 

Take Keanes mistake, it’s not like he punched the floor in frustration after, instead he looked pale.

To be fair, a sports psychologist would be telling him to not show emotion. Mistakes happen in football, he just needed to play his normal game. I think he got a bit nervy afterwards but it wasn't a big drop in his performance.

6 hours ago, Shukes said:

Pickford aside you don't get enough of that from the Koeman/Walsh signings, and more worryingly Silva has the same grey look as the players. 

3 hours ago, Bailey said:

😂

To be fair, a sports psychologist would be telling him to not show emotion. Mistakes happen in football, he just needed to play his normal game. I think he got a bit nervy afterwards but it wasn't a big drop in his performance.

how would you know?  are you a psychologist?

3 hours ago, Bailey said:

😂

I'd be surprised if we have one. And if we do he must be shit. Since Moyes left and Jags got the armband we've been mentally weak. Looking at the dressing room there's only Coleman who gets it, Pickford is passionate and the new boys Digne and Mina. Last season was infuriating, every time we conceded most the players didn't look arsed or were only concerned about their own part in the goal. Gana and Schneiderlin rarely looked bothered, and Keane only seems to be gutted if it was his fault opposed to being gutted about the 'team' conceding a goal. 

9 minutes ago, markjazzbassist said:

I studied sports psychology as part of my degree. Very simply put emotion affects your decision making and for the majority of people that isnt a good thing. 

5 minutes ago, pete0 said:

I'd be surprised if we have one. And if we do he must be shit. Since Moyes left and Jags got the armband we've been mentally weak. Looking at the dressing room there's only Coleman who gets it, Pickford is passionate and the new boys Digne and Mina. Last season was infuriating, every time we conceded most the players didn't look arsed or were only concerned about their own part in the goal. Gana and Schneiderlin rarely looked bothered, and Keane only seems to be gutted if it was his fault opposed to being gutted about the 'team' conceding a goal. 

I would be amazed if the club or even individuals didnt have one. I know Allardyce mentioned it with McCarthy as if he didnt have one but it would be a surprise.

2 minutes ago, markjazzbassist said:

You don't need to be a psychologist, it's period one, lesson one in any sport. Fuck up, lose a point, give away a goal you reset your brain and remind yourself you can do what you can do, forget the mistake. Play your game with a blank canvas. I didn't need a "psychologist" to tell me that stuff when I was competing in sport decades ago, just a coach or a mate (anyone but my dad who was a nightmare and knew fuck all about the sports I was good at:D).

16 minutes ago, markjazzbassist said:

bailey what is your degree?  what is your line of work?

I have a sports management degree and a business degree and I am now training to be a lawyer (whilst working as a trainee lawyer). 

2 hours ago, Bailey said:

I have a sports management degree and a business degree and I am now training to be a lawyer (whilst working as a trainee lawyer). 

cool

2 hours ago, Shukes said:

Ahh that explains all the bullshit then 😉

i was gonna say that explains the need to argue and prove he's right all the time, but i like yours better :rofl:

8 hours ago, Chach said:

No point comparing the 80's with now, literally and figuratively a different league.

When you're comparing how long a club continue to have faith in an under-performing or failing manager I don't see the fact that it's "a different league" has anything to do with it.

3 minutes ago, MikeO said:

When you're comparing how long a club continue to have faith in an under-performing or failing manager I don't see the fact that it's "a different league" has anything to do with it.

when you say "club" are you referring to the fans or the board/ownership?

1 minute ago, Chach said:

when you say "club" are you referring to the fans or the board/ownership?

The people who make the decisions on hiring and firing managers.

1 minute ago, MikeO said:

The people who make the decisions on hiring and firing managers.

I would say now vs back then those people are getting 24/7 feedback from media/social media and the money has changed the culture, would an English club have even considered a foreign manager back then? I'm sure there's examples but unlikely there's the options there is now.

15 minutes ago, Chach said:

I would say now vs back then those people are getting 24/7 feedback from media/social media and the money has changed the culture, would an English club have even considered a foreign manager back then? I'm sure there's examples but unlikely there's the options there is now.

The culture was still fire the "failures", Sir Alex Ferguson was famously one game away from the boot at United. Just look at the lower and even non-league teams over here, the culture hasn't noticeably changed in decades.

10 hours ago, StevO said:

Seems to be a complete lack of understanding of emotions by a few people here. You don’t have to scream to be angry, you don’t have to smile to be happy. Keane does not have to punch the ground to show the fans he fucked up, he knows it himself, his team know it, what is to gain by outwardly expressing his disappointment? Ridiculous. 

I'm moaning that he expresses it at his own mistakes but doesn't look too fussed if it's not his fault. Too many in the team aren't a team, we don't have a win together lose together mentality and it shows. 

Not about fist pumping but you expect them to at least dig in. Yet most of ours collapse. Under Moyes players like Tim Cahill upped their game whenever we conceded regardless of their part in it. 

9 minutes ago, pete0 said:

I'm moaning that he expresses it at his own mistakes but doesn't look too fussed if it's not his fault. Too many in the team aren't a team, we don't have a win together lose together mentality and it shows. 

Not about fist pumping but you expect them to at least dig in. Yet most of ours collapse. Under Moyes players like Tim Cahill upped their game whenever we conceded regardless of their part in it. 

I get what you mean now Pete, but those types of characters are dying out in the game. Maybe even in society in general, young lads aren’t the same anymore. I know that’s a massive generalisation but I interview a lot of 16-18 year old lads in my job, they don’t have the outward emotion or the stronger mentality of the older guys I deal with. The ones that do seem to either be not very smart or have a really bad attitude. Again more generalisations. 

6 minutes ago, StevO said:

I know that’s a massive generalisation but I interview a lot of 16-18 year old lads in my job

I know where you're coming from with that. Not all, but a great deal care more about their social media than real life, you watched some kids playing footy and they're more concerned about showing off their goal celebration than actually scoring. 

36 minutes ago, pete0 said:

I know where you're coming from with that. Not all, but a great deal care more about their social media than real life, you watched some kids playing footy and they're more concerned about showing off their goal celebration than actually scoring. 

A lad works for me who’s 19, he’s more concerned that his top, shorts and socks match his boots. When I was that age i wouldn’t be seen dead in matching kit, look like I was trying too hard. 😂

9 hours ago, StevO said:

I get what you mean now Pete, but those types of characters are dying out in the game. Maybe even in society in general, young lads aren’t the same anymore. I know that’s a massive generalisation but I interview a lot of 16-18 year old lads in my job, they don’t have the outward emotion or the stronger mentality of the older guys I deal with. The ones that do seem to either be not very smart or have a really bad attitude. Again more generalisations. 

Smells a bit like the 'millennial snowflake' bollocks that parents like to chastise their kids with these days... Were kids of 16 to 18 ever clued up, switched on and driven? No, you learn all that out in the real world. 

In a football context, I'd suggest it's harder to find those 'characters' through the academy systems because it's just all a bit too cosy. For me the mental side of the game has to come through senior football and the ideal is to have 17 - 18 year old going straight in, maybe at lower league level, and having to learn to fight for a place, otherwise they might never develop it. 

On 09/01/2019 at 10:51, StevO said:

Seems to be a complete lack of understanding of emotions by a few people here. You don’t have to scream to be angry, you don’t have to smile to be happy. Keane does not have to punch the ground to show the fans he fucked up, he knows it himself, his team know it, what is to gain by outwardly expressing his disappointment? Ridiculous. 

I think you misread my intentions.

Jags never used to shout and go red in the face, but you could clearly see the emotion on him when he was upset, angry etc. 

I just do t see anything from Keane at all. He may be hurting inside, I just don’t het that impression from him.

4 hours ago, Shukes said:

I think you misread my intentions.

Jags never used to shout and go red in the face, but you could clearly see the emotion on him when he was upset, angry etc. 

I just do t see anything from Keane at all. He may be hurting inside, I just don’t het that impression from him.

That’s fair enough shukes, I just don’t like people thinking someone isn’t feeling inside because it’s not shown on the outside. 

I've been watching all the Everton matches since Cenk Tosun joined the team.
When Sam was at the team last year, the team was too unstable. 

Marco brought a technical structure to the team with new players. But Marco has a big mistake. He still hasn't understood English Football.

Totally wants to get continuous efficiency with technical players. But English football is based on physicality.
You can't sit the team without a pivot scorer. Marco can't be successful in Everton.

4 hours ago, StevO said:

That’s fair enough shukes, I just don’t like people thinking someone isn’t feeling inside because it’s not shown on the outside. 

No I don’t mean it like that. But I do think players are so professional these days, that they lose a little commitment due to it.

Not many players who will fight for their shirt anymore. Guess I’m stuck in the 80/90s haha

1 hour ago, Shukes said:

No I don’t mean it like that. But I do think players are so professional these days, that they lose a little commitment due to it.

Not many players who will fight for their shirt anymore. Guess I’m stuck in the 80/90s haha

I know what you mean now. The game is so sterile, no characters anymore. I think that’s why so many people liked Besic, his attitude was a bit of a throw back.