IGNORED

Captain next season?

3 hours ago, Newty82 said:

I think if Jags is still here, he'll be Club Captain. But I don't know if he'll play as much.

Coleman can be vice captain...but end up captaining a load of games anyway.

Coleman will be a great Captain though.

This for me. 

Changing captain can have an affect on the dressing room and whilst I can see any of them not respecting Coleman, there will be players that feel Jags has been disrespected.

9 hours ago, Bailey said:

This for me. 

Changing captain can have an affect on the dressing room and whilst I can see any of them not respecting Coleman, there will be players that feel Jags has been disrespected.

9 hours ago, Bill said:

Not sure about your theory, didn't do Villa any harm making Terry captain as soon as they got him.

Agree with Bill here 100%. Give Seamus the armband unless he's off the pitch. His heart is on his sleeve more than anyone we've had at the club since Cahill. Jags has served the club well but has always seemed an unwilling captain. His leadership has been positive but soft and underspoken. We need a little fire to carry us forward and Seamus has that. I'm almost positive Jags will be happy to be out of the limelight.

11 hours ago, Bill said:

Not sure about your theory, didn't do Villa any harm making Terry captain as soon as they got him.

Their previous captain was Tommy Elphick who had it for one season and Terry was one of the best CBs in England being a multiple PL winner and Champions League winner.

Not quite the same as Jags who has been captain for several years. 

Being captain is a lot more than what you do on the pitch, in fact the bit on the pitch is probably the simplest part of it. That is where Seamus will excel so all the time Jags isnt playing Seamus should lead on the pitch, like he should be doing anyway. Leave Jags, who lets face it should have more time to focus on off the pitch aspects of captaincy this year, to deal with everything else. 

It'll be Coleman but I'll be a bit disappointed with that because I think we should be looking to bring in a better player if possible.

I just think he's dropped right off in the past few years - even before the injury. Pace has lessened and his crossing is terrible for the most part. His defending has improved ten fold though.

I'm hoping that a change of manager, and fresh ideas, rejuvenates him if he's to continue as our first choice RB.

3 hours ago, Romey 1878 said:

It'll be Coleman but I'll be a bit disappointed with that because I think we should be looking to bring in a better player if possible.

I just think he's dropped right off in the past few years - even before the injury. Pace has lessened and his crossing is terrible for the most part. His defending has improved ten fold though.

I'm hoping that a change of manager, and fresh ideas, rejuvenates him if he's to continue as our first choice RB.

I think he’ll be rejuvenated this season. To come back from any injury is tough, but his injury is probably the toughest not just physically but mentally. Also since RM left his role has changed and he hasn’t been given the chance to show off his best game as he’s been massively held back IMO. I think he’d be a great captain and I can’t think of any other I’d rather. Also, I’m a little old school in that I don’t want to make a new signing a captain as I think they need time to be immersed in the club and get to know the fans, city and ethos. 

19 hours ago, Bill said:

He was new into the club...A proven, established Premier League player, an England captain, A Captain of a team that had won all sorts of cups. 

Completely different scenario.

5 hours ago, MikeO said:

Wiki says it was James Chester but I agree with your point anyway.

I looked at the season before that. I think Chester was probably the captain before Terry turned up? Either way whoever it was wasnt in the job for long! 

15 hours ago, Gwlad all over said:

Tbh I think Jags is too. Whilst not wanting deliberate confrontation I want a captain stepping forward to 'reason' with referees and calm players down. I think Seamus ticks those boxes.

I see this argument about Jags all the time; that he doesn't get in the refs ear. But every time I watch us he does get on to the ref.

It seems to be one of those ideas that's been pedaled that much that people just believe it now.