IGNORED

Rumour team - summer 2018

3 hours ago, EFC-Paul said:

He's been played as an attacking mid many a time also on the left wing so I could see him being used as our creative outlet and on the inside left as Jofanon has him 

I can see him being used as a Silva type he has great pace and footwork I think he'll do very well there if that's Marco's plan

Its very attacking.   Too much so?  A bit different from Fat Sam!

Id be tempted to play a 433 with this rumoured team (with Gylfi in a free role) Would mean that Coleman and Digne would have to work for their wages and Gana/Besic would have to cover a lot of ground):

.....................Pickford.....................

Coleman....Mina....Zouma....Digne

.................Gana...Besic..................

.......................Gylfi..........................

Walcott..........Tosun..........Bernard

Edit: Left out Richarlison, not on purpose, just spoilt for choice for once. Where the hell would he fit in? He probably wouldn't, so scratch my 433 unless he could replace Besic but that would leave us vulnerable at the back.

1 minute ago, markjazzbassist said:

It will be a 433 like Barca with one sitter and 2 advanced mids in gylfi and Bernard.

Only problem is we have 3/4 who play that sitting role each has their own strength but not one can dominate that position.

33 minutes ago, markjazzbassist said:

i like that a lot.  

It’s an exciting looking team for us and offensive minded, to be sure. My concern would be Gueye in that formation. He’s not the type we’d want to be bringing the ball up the field a lot which means that it would fall to Gylfi to come back often. I’m wondering if that would tax him too much over 90 minutes when he’s also supposed to be the engine of our offense. Perhaps the box to box role is exactly what he’s made for, I defer to others there, but I’m going to be curious to see what the plan is in that area early on.

37 minutes ago, SpartyBlue said:

It’s an exciting looking team for us and offensive minded, to be sure. My concern would be Gueye in that formation. He’s not the type we’d want to be bringing the ball up the field a lot which means that it would fall to Gylfi to come back often. I’m wondering if that would tax him too much over 90 minutes when he’s also supposed to be the engine of our offense. Perhaps the box to box role is exactly what he’s made for, I defer to others there, but I’m going to be curious to see what the plan is in that area early on.

Gana would shield the back four as he's supposed to as a DM we don't have a box to box midfielder 

Between both Sigurdsson and Bernard we would have a great mixture of attributes needed to mix things up in the middle and going forward 

1 hour ago, Newty82 said:

This is a goodun.

I have absolutely no fear of Gana playing in a solid DM role. If the players around him are doing what they should, he won't need to run around like a dick filling in multiple roles. He van just concentrate on his job alone.

Stop it Newts. You have to think about the feelings of the ones who haven’t a clue about football 😉

5 hours ago, SpartyBlue said:

I dont think you would expect Gana to bring the ball forward. In thay system he would be there to win the ball back and lay it off to the more creative players in the team. 

3 hours ago, Newty82 said:

This is a goodun.

I have absolutely no fear of Gana playing in a solid DM role. If the players around him are doing what they should, he won't need to run around like a dick filling in multiple roles. He van just concentrate on his job alone.

I think its the only way Gana can play at this level. Whilst I would worry about his positioning, I think he would make up for it in other ways with tackles and interceptions. Just leave him to do that, pass the ball on and keep possession, especially against the fodder. Maybe a bit more difficult against the big boys!

2 hours ago, Bailey said:

I dont think you would expect Gana to bring the ball forward. In thay system he would be there to win the ball back and lay it off to the more creative players in the team. 

I think its the only way Gana can play at this level. Whilst I would worry about his positioning, I think he would make up for it in other ways with tackles and interceptions. Just leave him to do that, pass the ball on and keep possession, especially against the fodder. Maybe a bit more difficult against the big boys!

That's just the role of a proper DM though isn'tt it? Break up play, tackle and intercept. If he does those 3 well...which he has shown to be more than capable of...then he's doing most of his job.

He doesn't need to be a worldie passer. Just needs to bite at the ankles, win the ball and stroll it on to the proper creative attacking players who, hopefully, will be within passing distance. Then stay back instead of being expected to bomb forward, then bomb back again when we lose the ball on the wings as we have been doing in recent times (won't happen as much this season...hopefully!!!)

In theory anyway 😂😂😂

Just now, Newty82 said:

That's just the role of a proper DM though isn'ttt it? Break up play, tackle and intercept. If he does those 3 well...which he has shown to be more than capable of...then he's doing most of his job.

He doesn't need to be a worldie passer. Just needs to bite at the ankles, win the ball and stroll it on to the proper creative attacking players who, hopefully, will be within passing distance. Then stay back instead of being expected to bomb forward, then bomb back again when we lose the ball on the wings as we have been doing in recent times (won't happen as much this season...hopefully!!!)

In theory anyway 😂😂😂

Yeh I think so, well its what I like them to be able to do first and foremost. Sit between the two banks of 4 and just stop things developing, or at least developing quickly making counter attacks harder for the opposition. 

For me its one of the most important positions. Key to breaking opposition attacks and giving the ball to those who can do something with it. Get a good one of those and someone who can put the ball in the back of the net and your already top half of the league 😄

I think it could work, it is disappointing that we’re down to 2 English players in the side though from what was a team well influenced by English/British players.  I know that’s the way things go, especially if you want good value transfers but even still it’s a shame.

i love the look of that side from an attacking point of view. The question is whether Sig is capable and willing to drop further back to help gana out and pick the ball up from him.  With 2 attacking wing backs there’s a lot riding on Gana plus the 2 cb’s when we lose the ball.

3 hours ago, Bailey said:

Yeh I think so, well its what I like them to be able to do first and foremost. Sit between the two banks of 4 and just stop things developing, or at least developing quickly making counter attacks harder for the opposition. 

For me its one of the most important positions. Key to breaking opposition attacks and giving the ball to those who can do something with it. Get a good one of those and someone who can put the ball in the back of the net and your already top half of the league 😄

If we had this attacking team + Gareth Barry in his prime, we would be an absolute force. 

8 minutes ago, Btay said:

If we had this attacking team + Gareth Barry in his prime, we would be an absolute force. 

Or just Schneiderlein in his prime :P Don't know what's happened to the guy, but there's obviously a good player in there based on his time at Southhampton, United and his first 6 months with us.

My completely unfounded rumor is that McCarthy has recovered and is able to play.

.....................Pickford.....................

Coleman(c)....Mina....Lascelles....Digne

........................McCarthy....................

...... Sigurdsson........Bernard...............

Lookman..........Tosun..........Richarlison

So long as McCarthy is unavailable, though, Besic will need to step in.

IMHO, neither Schneiderlin nor Gana should be anywhere near the team.

7 hours ago, FairWooney said:

I think it could work, it is disappointing that we’re down to 2 English players in the side though from what was a team well influenced by English/British players.  I know that’s the way things go, especially if you want good value transfers but even still it’s a shame.

i love the look of that side from an attacking point of view. The question is whether Sig is capable and willing to drop further back to help gana out and pick the ball up from him.  With 2 attacking wing backs there’s a lot riding on Gana plus the 2 cb’s when we lose the ball.

Baines and Keane? Coleman is Irish and we have plenty of young talent in Davies, DCL, Lookman, Beni, Pickford, etc. Kind of a bullshit comment.