IGNORED

Happy Father's Day

I don't know about the rest of Europe but we celebrate this on the second sunday of June, ie last weekend.

Happy Fathers Day.  Love my kids, but took some convincing by my wife to start a family; in the end gave in convinced I was infertile due to years of smoking and alcohol (aka life as a student). 

Had a strange one really; cards from three grand-kids whose father has been, without going in to detail, removed from his post in the last year. So I was the go to alternative, which I was happy to be.

Last one from Josh before he moves out but it was brilliant, created by him and personalised so well.

I missed this on Sunday - to be fair I was drinking a good bit. I didn't realize it was celebrated on a different weekend in Europe.

So slightly belated to colonial Dad's, and more belated to Euro-Dad's,

Spent the first part it with 2 of my best friends, their kids, as well as my daughters watching Gemany lose and the Brazil draw. Pretty good day :)

Got my wife and daughter back on Sunday after they were away on an in-laws vacation (i could’ve gone but didn’t fancy the flight or 2 grand expenses), so that was a great way to celebrate it. Usually not arsed about the day at all, but it’s great to have my girls back. 

“Baby” E is now 3 1/2 but the size and weight of an average 5 year old! 

40 minutes ago, Haiku said:

I'm about to become a dad in November, so I'm curious how do you guys celebrate Father's Day? I mean with your family or with other dads? Do you get presents or anything special?

First of all, congratulations!

For me it's changed as they age. When they are young it's going to be a card, breakfast and something your wife bought "from" them - it's basically like Mother's Day with less fanfare.

Last few years we have gone to a minor league baseball game, or I have just grilled burgers or steaks and they hung out and "helped" but for me it's a day to spend some time chilling out with the kiddo/kiddos. I've really enjoyed it more as they have gotten older (girls, currently 20 and 17). My neighbor and I wanted to golf a couple years ago - and has watched my two grow up for like 13 years now, so my oldest spent the day with us fetching clubs and beers and paid for my round, that was great. The last 2 years she has insisted on taking me out for wings and beer, which is pretty neat. The youngest wants to watch sports with me, especially soccer if available. We usually don't do anything with other families, because for me I don't want to be trying to coordinate a bunch of crap on my chill day. This year was different, but mainly because the WC was on so early, and Sunday was the only morning for us to get together and watch games together. 3 "soccer families" where several of the kids played together in high school, club, we have coached each others kids, or refed matches over the years etc... The wives/kids cooked breakfast, served us and refreshed our drinks.

I always kinda downplayed it, I still struggle with it being "my day" - it's my Dad's day even tho he has been gone for several years now.  At some point I realized that wasn't really fair to my girls who wanted to do something for/with me. Find something you enjoy - golf, swimming, grilling, fishing  -maybe hanging out with you and some friends while you jam or rehearse. Whatever,  just spend some part of the day letting them enjoy it with you and spoiling you a bit and make some fun memories - who needs another damn tie or more socks?

It's going to depend on the relationship you have with your child/children. The way they want to celebrate you, or you want to be celebrated is the best way, no matter what anyone else does.

2 hours ago, Haiku said:

I'm about to become a dad in November, so I'm curious how do you guys celebrate Father's Day? I mean with your family or with other dads? Do you get presents or anything special?

Congrats!  Usually spend the day with family and the wives/mothers cook us a big meal.  We eat and drink and relax together.  

10 hours ago, Haiku said:

Congrats!

I spent the day watching the footy and being well looked after. I got a "grow your own chilli" set from my little lad.

36 minutes ago, Ghoat said:

Oh? Do tell!

Basically just a small wooden trough with three different chillies to grow: Korean Chilies, Chilli Fingers and Hot Chillies. Comes with the seeds (obviously!) and the compost to grow it in.

It was a nice little present and will be eventually used when I'm making Salt N Pepper Chicken!

9 minutes ago, London Blue said:

Just become a dad yesterday, little Raphael is now spending his first night at home. 

He already has his first little Everton kit, courtesy of a mate, just looking forward to taking him to his first game in 3 or 4 years.

Congrats mate, wishing him a long and healthy life.

17 minutes ago, London Blue said:

Just become a dad yesterday, little Raphael is now spending his first night at home. 

He already has his first little Everton kit, courtesy of a mate, just looking forward to taking him to his first game in 3 or 4 years.

Life changing moment LB, brilliant news; wish I could go back and do it all over again! Welcome to the Blue family Raphael, it can be a tough road but it builds character!

Congratulations to you and your other half mate.

1 hour ago, London Blue said:

Congrats!

I hope he doesn’t favour the colour red like a certain other Raphael. Loving pizza would be fine though. 

16 hours ago, London Blue said:

Congrats LB! Having a child is the greatest thing that can ever happen. Get ready for some amazing memories!

25 minutes ago, London Blue said:

Well done to all the dads out there, I am in awe!!

I remember clearly when Josh came home in 1996 (already had the four girls but they were between 4 & 8 when I became "dad"); he was born on a Tuesday and they kept him and my wife in for a few days so it was the Friday. On the Sunday the enormity of the responsibility hit me and I seriously doubted my ability to cope; now he's finally fleeing the nest I like to think I/we did a decent job:).

Before you know it Raphael will off on his own LB, enjoy it while you can!

Congratulations  to all Dad's on here and particularly to new, first time Dad's.  Its a reality check on the meaning of life.  My first born is 58 this year, can remember the day he was born as if it was yesterday.  Oh, and by the way, make the most of the early years.  They will be going to school, leaving school, starting work/going to Uni before you know it!

Congrats LB.  This is what life is all about.

Watching your child being born was an experience that made me realise that there must be a God - a higher power. I've always been Catholic but watching a baby being born was truly something that made me think "How does that happen" ... no explanation.  I cried both times... truly an experience.