Sign in to follow this  
Londonblue

Ok I've Held Fire Until Now But........!

Goldy.29th Aug @ 10.33 pm......"I love my club and I am proud to be an Evertonian however we play, because I know that throughout history not many teams can boast the loyal support and deep running pride that Everton can"

If there was a poll today for the most passionate, dedicated, and loyal Everton Fanatic, my vote would go to Goldsmith Memory. ( only because i couldnt vote for myself). ;)

Its a long time since ive seen such an out and out admission of love for a football Club. Thats the sort of passion and desire that needs to be instilled into the players, whether thats possible to achieve under David Moyes remains to be seen, but i will keep faith in him for the time Being.

Only Two managers in my time have had the ability to inspire somewhat ordinary players, by harnessing a medium amount of talent, and turning them into a winning team of household names. Those Managers are Bill Shankly and Brian Clough, so is David Moyes in the same class ? i think not.

The nearest thing to those two was the Howard Kendall of the 8Os who because of good luck or good management meticulously put together a squad of players that had the perfect blend of youth and experience, of skill and aggression, so that they blended into the perfect team, and every single one of them had the hunger and desire to be winners.

None of his players where big names before they came to Everton, Reidy was past it, and Andy Gray was finished, but they where the missing pieces of the Jigsaw, and everything fell into place. And if you Know your History they became massive stars and household names, in a spell that supporters only dream about.

So Goldy, I hope your patience and dedication is rewarded with lots and lots of trophies to add to the history of this fantastic Club of ours, and maybe in 30 or 40 years time from now you can tell everybody on this forum that "I WAS THERE". Good luck to you mate, you and all those who havent seen any yet, deserve a decent spell.

Licker.

I dont think Moyes is in that league either Licker but i do think he has got a team of sometimes average players playing as a unit, to their strenghts and getting results that on paper they should not be getting.

I'm not Just talking about Saturday either, the way they pulled together for the last half hour at Blackburn mid week was a pleasure to watch. Dont forget he got us to 4th place 2 seasons ago also without an average never mind good striker! I was thinking about our 4th place finish the other night and it dawned on me that we didnt knick it on the last day we earned it early and fought to keep it all season theres not many teams in the league who could hold onto a top 4 position all year!

Pat    2

Bill, who was it that signed coz he thought Cloughie was Coming before Howard ended up taking the job..?..Can you recall...?

Not sure Pat, but in the Time between Managers (Lee out and Kendall in) Asa Hartford and Brian Kidd left, and the week that Howard took over Graham Sharp came in from Dumbarton and Big Nev from Bury, Cant think of anybody else.

Later that season he brought in Heath from Stoke, Reidy From Bolton, and Andy Gray from Wolves.

Who, at that time, would have thought that those five players, where heading towards the greatest purple patch of their footballing Careers.