IGNORED

Who should be Everton’s first choice CB pair next season

I'd have liked to have seen Keane and Holgate together tbh 

Holgate is as good as many we've been linked with either by the rags or who people would like to see and I still think Keane could come good under the right manager in a less disgruntled and disjointed side 

I doubt it'll happen now though I don't think Silva will risk playing them together to give them a gelling period etc

If Keane can get his act together then a player like Jonathan Tah from Leverkusen would be a good punt big strong and fairly quick for his size reminds me of Harry Maquire but better imo 

Keane/Holgate & Tah with Jags as back up 

7 hours ago, EFC-Paul said:

I'd have liked to have seen Keane and Holgate together tbh 

Holgate is as good as many we've been linked with either by the rags or who people would like to see and I still think Keane could come good under the right manager in a less disgruntled and disjointed side 

I doubt it'll happen now though I don't think Silva will risk playing them together to give them a gelling period etc

If Keane can get his act together then a player like Jonathan Tah from Leverkusen would be a good punt big strong and fairly quick for his size reminds me of Harry Maquire but better imo 

Keane/Holgate & Tah with Jags as back up 

Tah La (I'll get me coat  :getmecoat:)   good shout though.

How on earth Jags isnt number 1 in everyones list is beyond me. Id hate to think where we would be without him last season. 

Keane dramatically needs to improve his positional sense and his physicality (both strength (aggressiveness) and agility). Silva might bring about that improvement. 

Holgate came in and did well at a difficult time but he always prone to lapses of concentration. I hope that changes as he matures but at the moment it is a big concern for me. He would need to be alongside an experienced player like Jags to help manage him through games. 

Williams has far too much to prove given the second half of last season.

It would have to be Jags + the one who shows most improvement during preseason.

I’m just concerned with Jags this could be the pre season that he drops... it’s like they dramatically loose that half yard of pace and it looks like a train wreck. We cannot expect him to be our number 1 starting CB for the season, it’s just asking for problems. We need to buy a proven quality CB. I do think Keane can come good and holgate has shown he can step in if needed. 

Edit - I’ll try and find the stat but we scarcely used the same back 4 in consecutive games last year which I believe played a part in Keanes displays. 

Keane + New CB 

jags/holgate rotate and cups. 

Edited by Btay

1 hour ago, Btay said:

I’m just concerned with Jags this could be the pre season that he drops... it’s like they dramatically loose that half yard of pace and it looks like a train wreck. We cannot expect him to be our number 1 starting CB for the season, it’s just asking for problems. We need to buy a proven quality CB. I do think Keane can come good and holgate has shown he can step in if needed. 

Edit - I’ll try and find the stat but we scarcely used the same back 4 in consecutive games last year which I believe played a part in Keanes displays. 

Keane + New CB 

jags/holgate rotate and cups. 

Jags has never relied on pace or being strong in the air so I think he would be ok. The bigger issue is whether he can stay injury free or play 2 games in a week. They would both be massive doubts and reasons why I wouldnt want to have to rely on him next year.

Regarding Keane, even when he was settled with Jags at the end of the year he was making stupid errors and this was under a manager known for improving defenders and playing defensively. I do have some hope that Silva will sort him out but I wouldnt put money on it!

To be honest Jags is deceptively quick DCL even said in an interview he's rapid 

I love the bloke he's one of our best signings in my time and I do still think he could do a job no but at 35 it's an awful lot of games and I'd like to have a pairing that will play 90% of our games together 

Bring in a younger quality player and use him as and when imo 

47 minutes ago, Bailey said:

Jags has never relied on pace or being strong in the air so I think he would be ok. The bigger issue is whether he can stay injury free or play 2 games in a week. They would both be massive doubts and reasons why I wouldnt want to have to rely on him next year.

Regarding Keane, even when he was settled with Jags at the end of the year he was making stupid errors and this was under a manager known for improving defenders and playing defensively. I do have some hope that Silva will sort him out but I wouldnt put money on it!

??  Jags was the fastest guy in the league when Martinez was manager.  He certainly does use his pace he’s a hell of a lot quicker than Williams and Keane.  Without that I fear he will become williams.

I don’t think Bailey means he isn’t fast, or wasn’t, but that he hasnt  had to rely on that speed.

Jags has always been a brave solid guy that reads the game well. He may have lost a little pace, but his intelligence is still there and can be important for us.

Whether he is a starter or not, he will still be invaluable.

3 hours ago, markjazzbassist said:

??  Jags was the fastest guy in the league when Martinez was manager.  He certainly does use his pace he’s a hell of a lot quicker than Williams and Keane.  Without that I fear he will become williams.

See below.

21 minutes ago, Shukes said:

I don’t think Bailey means he isn’t fast, or wasn’t, but that he hasnt  had to rely on that speed.

Jags has always been a brave solid guy that reads the game well. He may have lost a little pace, but his intelligence is still there and can be important for us.

Whether he is a starter or not, he will still be invaluable.

Thank you Shukes. You saved me 5 mins ;)

It's not quite accurate to say Jagielka was the fastest player in PL, but indeed he was quite fast. The truth is that he recorded the highest top speed i 2014 season, but that's because people run a lot faster without the ball and the chart of fastest sprints every season is dominated by defenders.

4 hours ago, Quinn31 said:

Think it will be Keane and another defender we sign who can slot in.

I agree. Hoping Keane just had a shaky first season in our poor team - still think there’s a very good player there - he just needs to rediscover what I saw regularly at Burnley and even in an England shirt. 25 is still young - he’s still learning.

On 24/06/2018 at 14:10, duncanmckenzieismagic said:

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/jagielka-keane-holgate-who-should-14822039#ICID=ios_EchoNewsApp_AppShare_Click_Other

Think I would stick with Jags and Keane at the moment but hoping we sign a top CB and use Jags spairingly 

🤣🤣🤣🤣 surprise surprise. You’ve been sticking with jags for years.

9 hours ago, Palfy said:

Jags is still probably our best CD, when City took Lescott off of us I believed then took the least accomplished of the 2 and I feel that time as proven that.

He's been an absolute rock for us and still is really admire the man and the way he conducts himself, plus he talks to my boy a bit on social media.

This is how I feel for him. I just also feel we could be hanging him out to try by relying on him so much this year. 

22 hours ago, duncanmckenzieismagic said:

Me and plenty of others too. I still think he is our best CB even at his age. 

It seems a succession of managers and coaching staff at the club also rate him higher than your boy Mori 

Yeh and look how successful those managers have been 🤣. Mori has also been out with a long term injury. We seen nothing of him at all last season 🤷🏻‍♂️

Dont you think its time we moved on from a player who was in his prime 5/6 years ago. It really does show how bad this side is.