IGNORED

Yerry Mina

Can’t see the point of a loan. I’m hearing he has problems with the language and isn’t that happy in England. Could be bollocks like. If Zouma doesn’t come back we need two centre backs if Mina goes we need three unless Marco is confident one of the under 23s can make the step up 

Just now, markjazzbassist said:

he did well under koeman there, he's only gotten better and had better experiences in the championship.  i think he could be an above average CB.  

I agree he has the potential to be a decent CB however that’s all it is at the moment, he has only played a handful of games in that position at senior level so still got a lot of developing to do 

4 hours ago, StevO said:

I think if he was that good at centre back he might have played there for WBA, maybe the lad will continue to be a right back. 

it is a wierd situation.  if he is seen as a RB that could be why the rumor to loan to sell kenny to schalke is so strong.  or maybe they see him being cover at both positions.

5 hours ago, markjazzbassist said:

it is a wierd situation.  if he is seen as a RB that could be why the rumor to loan to sell kenny to schalke is so strong.  or maybe they see him being cover at both positions.

Or maybe he’s not as good we hope?

i don’t like to be negative, but usually less than 5% of young players make it at premiere league level. So I might be a bit negative, but in my life time I’ve seen so many players who are going to make it. In reality, there is pretty much Rooney and Barkley who have, no one else has met the standard. This standard is getting higher, and not as easy to reach. Just be careful where you place faith in young players, 95% wont be as good as you hope. 

22 hours ago, StevO said:

Or maybe he’s not as good we hope?

i don’t like to be negative, but usually less than 5% of young players make it at premiere league level. So I might be a bit negative, but in my life time I’ve seen so many players who are going to make it. In reality, there is pretty much Rooney and Barkley who have, no one else has met the standard. This standard is getting higher, and not as easy to reach. Just be careful where you place faith in young players, 95% wont be as good as you hope. 

I get what you’re saying but I think you’re being harsh on a few others Osman and Hibbert are two that I can think of.

54 minutes ago, Deacs said:

I get what you’re saying but I think you’re being harsh on a few others Osman and Hibbert are two that I can think of.

Jagielka, Baines, Coleman, Dier, Mustafi, Ruddy, Gosling, Lundstrum and Heneghan (next season for Sheffield). Plus of our current crop Holgate, Davies and DCL are all premiership level and potentially Lookman too. Rodwell was as well until injury. Championship is littered with former Everton youths. We do a good job finding them we just don't get them integrated into the first team. 

22 hours ago, Deacs said:

They were both very good servants, no doubt about that, but they aren’t the level of player you need if you want to challenge at the top of the table. 

My comment on less than 5% isn’t harsh though, there will be more than 100 kids in the youth system and chances are only a few will make it to the first team. It’s not being harsh, it’s the reality. When you look at clubs at the top level how many are there?

City have Foden coming through, no one else has got close really. 

Liverpool have Alexander Arnold. 

Chelsea hardly even care about bring them through. 

Spurs have Kane and Winks at the moment. 

Arsenal, I can think of Iwobi but I’m sure there are others. 

United, not sure they have been bothered for a while. 

There are only a few. The fact we have Davies and Kenny even in the squad is a good thing, it really is, but don’t expect to see too many in the near future. Even with us having such a successful U23 team, the standard it takes to get into our first team is exceptionally high. 

21 hours ago, pete0 said:

Jagielka, Baines, Coleman, Dier, Mustafi, Ruddy, Gosling, Lundstrum and Heneghan (next season for Sheffield). Plus of our current crop Holgate, Davies and DCL are all premiership level and potentially Lookman too. Rodwell was as well until injury. Championship is littered with former Everton youths. We do a good job finding them we just don't get them integrated into the first team. 

A lot of these lads have had to drop a level to prove themselves and come back up. It’s so tough to break into a top level premier league team straight from the kids teams. 

Coleman, Dier, Mustafi, Ruddy, Gosling, Holgate, DCL and Lookman weren’t from the Everton youth set up, though I get your point. 

44 minutes ago, StevO said:

A lot of these lads have had to drop a level to prove themselves and come back up. It’s so tough to break into a top level premier league team straight from the kids teams. 

Coleman, Dier, Mustafi, Ruddy, Gosling, Holgate, DCL and Lookman weren’t from the Everton youth set up, though I get your point. 

I included them as they were brought in by the youth set up rather than the first team. Think a lot under Moyes could've kicked on with the right nurturing but Moyes stuck to his favourites. Martinez done well, and even Koeman had the bottle to acknowledge the lack of pace and put DCL in the mix. Alladyce should've shown more faith but did give Davies minutes, possibly was under pressure to play the senior players given his comments on putting Bolasie in. Silva has been very disheartening, but I'm hoping Brands will apply the pressure next year. 

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, Finn balor said:

He’s having a great tournament so far no goals conceded and playing chile in the quarters. He could be in peak fitness coming back to pre season 

I think we have been a bit spoiled by Digne. Coming to a new team, climate, culture and hitting the ground running like he did was remarkable...and unusual. I’ll give Mina a pass for last year. He also came late in the window if I recall. I would think that both he and Gomes should be markedly improved with a much more stable situation and an idea of what the premier league is about. 

On 29/06/2019 at 20:48, markjazzbassist said:

I’ve backed him since day 1 and said he will come good.  I still don’t think we will get Zouma and Mina will be the starter.

I still think we need another CB or Holgate to really step up. I think playing Keane and Mina together would be asking for trouble against pacey strikers when they both turn like ships. 

5 hours ago, Vranny said:

I still think we need another CB or Holgate to really step up. I think playing Keane and Mina together would be asking for trouble against pacey strikers when they both turn like ships. 

Definitely need another central defender. Someone who can step in and is going to give a solid performance when required.

5 hours ago, Romey 1878 said:

Agreed. Mina should be third choice without a doubt.

I want him to succeed here, he seems a good fella and I obviously want all Everton players to do well, but I'm just not convinced by him at all and haven't been since before he signed here.

He's looked pretty decent from the bit I have seen of him in Copa. I'm like you, I'd love to see him succeed here and give us a 6'5" beast in back. First and foremost, he has got to stay fit.