1 minute ago, Romey 1878 said:

Looked a bit dodgy positionally but it was his first start. 

Wasn’t sure if it was him or Digne constantly out of position, there was a massive gaping hole of space between them. 

Still, as you say, first start and on a big stage. 

6 minutes ago, Matt said:

Wasn’t sure if it was him or Digne constantly out of position, there was a massive gaping hole of space between them. 

Still, as you say, first start and on a big stage. 

BBC live text said  'Everton free kick out on the wing, Yerry Mina to swing it in'?   Given his size, I thought he would be on the end of free kicks, not taking them.

4 minutes ago, johnh said:

BBC live text said  'Everton free kick out on the wing, Yerry Mina to swing it in'?   Given his size, I thought he would be on the end of free kicks, not taking them.

The only one I can remember him taking was either in our own half or just inside theirs. 

A couple of positional areas but a couple of really good blocks. He almost got back for the Willian chance which would have been one hell of a recovery. 

I cant wait to see more of him but I do think you will probably get one "wtf" moment a game. 

I felt a bit nervous whenever he was looking to put a tackle in, Zouma should come back in next week, i'd feel a lot more at ease. 

31 minutes ago, Bill said:

I felt a bit nervous whenever he was looking to put a tackle in, Zouma should come back in next week, i'd feel a lot more at ease. 

First competitive game in a fairly long time against a quality side, all in all he did well and looked solid considering 

Good managerial headache for Silva either way 

Mina and Keane should start to form a partnership which is why they should start next game as well. And while Mina had a few dodgy moments in his first game in about five months his passing was very good. 

18 minutes ago, Palfy said:

I thought he did well for his first game this season he should be in front of Zouma who is on loan and will more than likely be gone at the end of the season. So let Mina have every opportunity to fit into the team and strike up a partnership with Keane   

Sounds like we’re going to switch to 3 at the back. 

2 hours ago, Romey 1878 said:

Sounds like we’re going to switch to 3 at the back. 

I think we’ve got a good balance with how we have been lining up. 

9 hours ago, Btay said:

I think we’ve got a good balance with how we have been lining up. 

I don't like it at all, but hopefully Silva can succeed where all of our other manager's that have attempted it have failed miserably.

20 minutes ago, Bill said:

False motm that. He frightened me every he went near an attacker.  I think he's a terrible tackler.

He did look a bit clumsy when he got close to the opposition but that could be the calibre of the opposition and being rusty. 

Reserved at the moment. I also thought he looked clumsy. But then he did help keep a clean sheet, so he may look clumsy but be effective at the same time.

11 hours ago, Romey 1878 said:

I don't like it at all, but hopefully Silva can succeed where all of our other manager's that have attempted it have failed miserably.

Do you mean the 4-2-3-1?

i think we are getting closer to the right personal.

3-4-3 has been my favourite formation for a while, I just don’t know who to drop to make it happen, although it’s good to have options.

4 minutes ago, Btay said:

Do you mean the 4-2-3-1?

i think we are getting closer to the right personal.

3-4-3 has been my favourite formation for a while, I just don’t know who to drop to make it happen, although it’s good to have options.

I meant 3 at the back. 

12 hours ago, Romey 1878 said:

I thought it did help us at the end against Chelsea however they did have that one big chance to exploit it when Mina was about 10 yards out of position. 

I thought it did work for him at Watford but then again I thought it worked for Martinez at Wigan. I just dont like it generally and most teams are moving away from it again.

26 minutes ago, Romey 1878 said:

I meant 3 at the back. 

Oh right, I meant we have good balance in the 4-2-3-1 now and wouldn’t want us to change that for 3 at the back just yet.

I did think it was a good move bringing Jags on though.

6 minutes ago, Btay said:

Oh right, I meant we have good balance in the 4-2-3-1 now and wouldn’t want us to change that for 3 at the back just yet.

I did think it was a good move bringing Jags on though.

I know what you were meaning, I was just terrible in wording my response to it :lol: . Totally my bad. 

9 minutes ago, Bailey said:

I thought it did help us at the end against Chelsea however they did have that one big chance to exploit it when Mina was about 10 yards out of position. 

I thought it did work for him at Watford but then again I thought it worked for Martinez at Wigan. I just dont like it generally and most teams are moving away from it again.

Silva seems to know what he’s doing, so if anyone is going to make it work for us it’s him. 

I thought he did ok but was beaten in the air to easily for a big guy. I like the way he has a bit of grit, but he needs to strengthen up a bit so he can bully players off the ball.  Today he had a smaller player back into him and push him back every time the ball was in the air. 

Not sure why, but he makes me nervous.

The best thing he did for me yesterday was moaning at Pickford for not giving him the ball. We need more players like that, great attitude and desire. Looks awkward but I like him, strong as an ox too. 

15 minutes ago, StevO said:

The best thing he did for me yesterday was moaning at Pickford for not giving him the ball. We need more players like that, great attitude and desire. Looks awkward but I like him, strong as an ox too. 

I liked it when he took no shit from the 1980's Sunday league throw back. 

10 hours ago, Shukes said:

I thought he did ok but was beaten in the air to easily for a big guy. I like the way he has a bit of grit, but he needs to strengthen up a bit so he can bully players off the ball.  Today he had a smaller player back into him and push him back every time the ball was in the air. 

Not sure why, but he makes me nervous.

I noticed that a couple of times too, especially on long balls. He almost gave them some time and space as he was a couple of yards off them. 

It might have been a tactic, it might just be a bit of rustiness like it was with Gomes but whatever it was its not like it didnt work this week.

Best part for me was seeing him drive the ball forward. Bugs me that centre halves just play the ball forward 10 yards for the midfield. Carry it forward and get the midfield higher up the pitch before you give it to them. 

He also made a run similar to what Wenger had from his centre halves, especially Vermaelen. Carried the ball forward and then carried on and got in the box for the attack. No doubt he'll get exposed at some point but with his confidence to go forward and get involved I'd expect him to help get more goals than he gives away. 

Tackling is not one of his better qualities, heading duels are never easy, so I don't know why we got this player because he also makes me nervous. Zouma should come back in.

On 25/11/2018 at 10:41, pete0 said:

Best part for me was seeing him drive the ball forward. Bugs me that centre halves just play the ball forward 10 yards for the midfield. Carry it forward and get the midfield higher up the pitch before you give it to them.  

He also made a run similar to what Wenger had from his centre halves, especially Vermaelen. Carried the ball forward and then carried on and got in the box for the attack. No doubt he'll get exposed at some point but with his confidence to go forward and get involved I'd expect him to help get more goals than he gives away. 

Yeah saw that, it was frustrating that we didnt get a ball into the box.

That gallop that he has is proper weird! legs flying everywhere when he hits full speed! Thought he had a bad start but then settled down and was solid. Its been a long time since ive seen a central defender get the ball and push forward the way he did, long may that continue!