IGNORED

Lucas Digne

9 minutes ago, EFC-Paul said:

I think he'll play second fiddle I know his legs are going but he's still a great deputy, I don't think he'll ever leave the club tbh 

Agreed, a very solid player still, who is a massive presence in the dressing room. He will become a coach here I imagine.

Great news about Digne, I think he is a quality signing.

12 hours ago, London Blue said:

Agreed, a very solid player still, who is a massive presence in the dressing room. He will become a coach here I imagine.

Great news about Digne, I think he is a quality signing.

I'd be surprised if he goes into coaching. He's stated many times he only sees it all as a job, it's not something he actually enjoys.

9 minutes ago, Shukes said:

He did for a while, but in his later years he seems to have changed his mind. He does extra training, comes back early from holidays to do more.

Because he needs to as he gets older, he wouldn't get in the team if he let himself go and didn't keep himself fit. And that obviously takes more work as you get older.

1 hour ago, Romey 1878 said:

Because he needs to as he gets older, he wouldn't get in the team if he let himself go and didn't keep himself fit. And that obviously takes more work as you get older.

I know that, but for someone who doesn’t like football, he could just retire. He has plenty of money to sustain himself and his next generation.

He’s also been asked about that comment since, and he smiled it off and said if course I enjoy playing football, it’s just not my whole life.

Would t say that is an exact quote as it was a while ago I saw it, but words to that effect.

I think it’s more a case of he has many other interests outside if football to keep him occupied, unlike some players who just eat, sleep and breathe football. We all know about his music and photography interests. Think it all comes down to if he wants to keep football as his full time job when he finishes playing. I think he’s more the type to get involved in various other businesses. Wouldn’t be suprised if he got more into the entertainment business. 

34 minutes ago, StevO said:

I think it’s more a case of he has many other interests outside if football to keep him occupied, unlike some players who just eat, sleep and breathe football. We all know about his music and photography interests. Think it all comes down to if he wants to keep football as his full time job when he finishes playing. I think he’s more the type to get involved in various other businesses. Wouldn’t be suprised if he got more into the entertainment business. 

Which is why I’d be very surprised if he goes into coaching. 

12 minutes ago, hafnia said:

All we need eh... a team of fookin schneiderleins.  Doesn't bode well this.  If we ain't good enough for you after shining your arse on ricaro seats for 2 years then fuck off. 

Exactly- they don’t want to come mate. Devil anf the deep blue sea.

We're looking at the wrong sorts of players. At least Richarlison seems to look at us as a big opportunity. We should be looking at young hungry players from smaller clubs who want to prove something, not players that think they've made it because they've played for Barca B. 

We need to adapt elements of the moyes model here - from the perspective of getting in players who appreciate the opportunity to play for a historic club and be a part of something great.  

Give moyes his due - from the get go he fucked off lazy arsed blomkvist in spectacular "don't you get sulky with me when I sub you for being a half arsed prick"... his recruitment after that was to get attitude in over talent but with players who had upside.   We never quite had the money to go into the mercenary merry go round that Liverpool were operating at the time. Which suited us.

Richarlison in large part fills me with optimism that Silva knows what he needs from his players. He will know we need 11 men all pulling together but that we also need pace and energy along with 100% concentration. 

2 minutes ago, markjazzbassist said:

I thought brands had this vast network of relationships and was great at the discovering the “next big thing”.  Seems we are doing the same as Walsh did and just signing “big name x” like west ham does.

why can’t we find the next baines?  

Give him a chance but yeah I would have thought he had a big hit list. 

Agree Shukes

With the time Silva and Brands have had on their hands if we want to buy it has to be ready made and to get improvements that are worth the time and money it's hard, let's face it were hardly a desirable club in the grand scheme of things for some of these players

Next season will be the telling time on what these guys are all about  

Brands already has lists of players from PSV.  He already knows who is good and up and coming.  If he doesn’t have anything to do with findings players then what does he do?  Everyone on here has a different concept of his job.  Why would he be flying out to watch players if he doesn’t have anything to do with that side?

He has said himself what his job is. It’s DoF... Director of football. 

Most like a general manager of a company. He is involved in every aspect of the football club, from finances to youth players. He listed , 1st team, U23s, all levels of youth, sponsors, stadium and more.

This is a different position than Walsh held. Walsh was brought in as a chief scout, whereas Brands has been brought in as a proper DOF.

33 minutes ago, markjazzbassist said:

Brands already has lists of players from PSV.  He already knows who is good and up and coming.  If he doesn’t have anything to do with findings players then what does he do?  Everyone on here has a different concept of his job.  Why would he be flying out to watch players if he doesn’t have anything to do with that side?

His list of improving PSV. I’d hope that 99% of that list wouldn’t make it with him as the standard is much higher and requires better talent.  

It’s not so easy to just find the next ...... 

Brands has been brought in to set complete new foundations, it’s not the easiest job. If he went out and bought a team for of prospects it might all go downhill. We needs to buy some players who are ready to step in now, some will he for the starting 11, some will be back up. 

We need to learn a bit of patience. 

It's almost impossible for Brands and Silva to turn this squad around this window but I'm with Haf on the Moyes comparison, his focus as much on bringing in players who would improve the attitude as raise the ability level. Just as when Moyes took over, we have a squad full of players who think they are better than they are.