IGNORED

Elephant in the room

Just sat here wondering if we are signing anyone, who’s leaving? 

Watching the shite spending record money on a goalkeeper. 

Then I dawned on me that we have a new owner who is investing in the club but as of now we are a million miles away from the top tier of football. Unless we sign four or five top players to fit into the eleven we will be back to a mid table team. I don’t know if I’m having a bad day but look at wolves. They will be a team next year. I’m looking at the moment at a meh season. Seems at the moment we are plodding along waiting for a decision on the ground. Where is our statement signing? Have we got one? 

It’s been obvious from the second Brands and Silva joined that there is a lot of deadwood to shift. There’s still probably 10 players to go. I’m sure most will go but some on loan etc. as a lot of them are on big wages and their best years are way behind them e.g. Bolasie, Williams, Mirallas. With so many players already, I think it’s right that we haven’t rushed into the market and I’d expect fringe players to get one last chance to impress this weekend as maybe Brands or Silva see something they can work with in players we may have already written off (I know I’ve given up on a few). I do think is vital that more go before signing too many as getting stuck with a squad of 30-40 would be a disaster financially and trying to keep all those players happy/non-disruptive.

On signings, I personally feel Digne and Mina will happen very soon. I hope bids for players like Malcom and Zaha - however exciting they may be, are just a smokescreen and Lozano is the actual target with Brands influencing the deal. Loftus-Cheek must be leaving Chelsea - I hope we’re in for him and expect us to be. I know as much as the next person - it’s frustrating but I do feel we will improve significantly this season - maybe not much in final league position but I do hope to at least enjoy watching EFC again.

I think we need three quality signings to turn us around.

last year we should have had players like Holgate, Vlasic and Lookman involved more. We have them available this year and I believe a manager who will give them a fair chance.

Add a quality defender, left back cover ( could be one if the young lads ), an energetic midfielder who can create, and we won’t be far away.

We need 3 or 4 signings and I'm pretty certain that they will happen. It was only the world cup final last week.

The fact they haven't happened as yet suggests that they will be players who were in and around the world cup. 

Silva and brands have had to have been given a chance to see the players for themselves before making the decision to get rid.  It will all happen pretty soon. 

34 minutes ago, Gwlad all over said:

Sadly I think 8th is the best we can hope for. The top 6 and probably 2 other teams will be better than us.

Not necessarily.  We finished 10th last year with awful managers.   The league really isn'tt that good.  Top 4 or 5 define themselves. 6th isn'tt unachievable with the right tactics and players being 100% focused. 

12 hours ago, Finn balor said:

Just sat here wondering if we are signing anyone, who’s leaving? 

Watching the shite spending record money on a goalkeeper. 

Then I dawned on me that we have a new owner who is investing in the club but as of now we are a million miles away from the top tier of football. Unless we sign four or five top players to fit into the eleven we will be back to a mid table team. I don’t know if I’m having a bad day but look at wolves. They will be a team next year. I’m looking at the moment at a meh season. Seems at the moment we are plodding along waiting for a decision on the ground. Where is our statement signing? Have we got one? 

As we know from last year signing all the players under the sun is all well and good but if they dont fit or settle then can have a more negative influence than  not bringing anyone. I am not saying it will happen at Wolves as their manager looks to have his head screwed on, but its a possibility at any of these clubs recruiting wrong. 

As others have said, we have a lot of players to move on. I would have liked to have seen some of the positions covered but Silva has only recently said that he has started making final decisions on players. Brands might have deals ready to go as soon as Silva confirms what positions he wants in and what players he wants out. Looking at LB, he wouldnt have known a lot about Robinson so he has to see how he gets on. Both Silva and Brands dont want to block the pathway of a youth player so if they were trying to work out if he would be ready this season, they wouldnt be striking a deal for a new LB until they had made a decision on him. 

We dont know what work is being done behind the scenes but I trust that the people we have in place are doing their jobs. 

1 hour ago, hafnia said:

Not necessarily.  We finished 10th last year with awful managers.   The league really isn'ttt that good.  Top 4 or 5 define themselves. 6th isn'ttt unachievable with the right tactics and players being 100% focused. 

10th???

I absolutely agree with what you are saying though.

I'm in the camp that doesn't believe this squad is as shit as it performed last season. A few key signings will make a tonne of difference.

I think there might be one team that punches above its weight and does a Burnley. I agree we start the season with a positive thinking manager and given that we don't have a 'big' team till our 6th league match a decent haul of points is a must.

2 minutes ago, TallPaul1878 said:

I don't know why fans get all cranky about not making signings every season. For years it has been this way. All the big clubs get to make their transfers and hoover up all the talent. Everyone else gets to fight over the scraps.

Early signings are always going to be young players and signings that come from left field. The marquee signing will be on or around deadline day.

I think it's because we only have 2 full weeks of the window now. Along with us only being one of 3 teams that haven't made an impactful move.

It's understandable if people get a bit twitchy. Not so understandable if they go full on fucktard abuse mode.

I'm sure we have something lined up but as the days tick down, it becomes a dangerous game. And you naturally start getting the Everton Twitch.

I said about 2 or 3 week ago I was slightly concerned about our inactivity when it came to signing players this season, people said don’t worry there’s plenty of time, now some of them same people are starting to show concerns should I now be worried. 

My problem is that currently we will struggle to finish above 10th with this current crop of players, to expect Silva to pull a rabbit out the hat with this squad is half baked, every team will be applying the logic good tactics and believe and were be alright, you need good players to lmplement good tactics. 

11 minutes ago, Palfy said:

I said about 2 or 3 week ago I was slightly concerned about our inactivity when it came to signing players this season, people said don’t worry there’s plenty of time, now some of them same people are starting to show concerns should I now be worried. 

My problem is that currently we will struggle to finish above 10th with this current crop of players, to expect Silva to pull a rabbit out the hat with this squad is half baked, every team will be applying the logic good tactics and believe and were be alright, you need good players to lmplement good tactics. 

he had watford above us and they don't have anywhere near our quality.  well be fine

1 minute ago, markjazzbassist said:

he had watford above us and they don't have anywhere near our quality.  well be fine

I don’t think we will be in danger of relegation, but I don’t think were be pushing for a European sport or getting to a cup final, unless we get more quality in the defence and midfield. 

29 minutes ago, Palfy said:

If Allardyce / Koeman can get us to finish in the top half I am sure Silva can with this squad. Even if we didnt sign anyone I am not that concerned that we will be involved in a prolonged relegation scrap or anything like that.

Having said that we need to close the gap on the clubs above us and start making a statement about our intentions over the next few years and not just settle for not being involved in a relegation battle.

1 hour ago, Palfy said:

Be worried whenever you want to be worried Palfy, it's your prerogative.

I said last week in the Transfer thread that my curiosity grows as time passes. Wondering what is going on behind the scenes etc.

I think it's only natural that the feeling grows as the deadline closes in.

But I completely disagree with anyone who believes the squad is bottom half material. Sorry but it's been factually proven not to be! We had a shit storm last season...3 different managers...3 different ways of playing...and still finished 8th.

There is talent in the squad that will perform a lot better under a forward thinking man manager. BUT some key signings will be needed to bring balance if we want to push on beyond 8th.

We are fans, we are irrational, emotional and fickle. Last year we were encouraged by the initial aggressiveness of splashing cash and getting players. It failed, and we all seem to agree that it was poorly thought out, and there wasn't a solid approach - just go buy talent now that we have a billionaire owner!! Now, we have a team in place we think will be much more pragmatic as far as additions and subtractions. However, as the deadline looms, we start feeling like it's inactivity instead of pragmatism - and we want the team to hurry up and splash some cash. 

We can't have it both ways. Doesn't mean we're not going to bitch about it, and not feel guilty about it in the least!

3 hours ago, Bailey said:

If Allardyce / Koeman can get us to finish in the top half I am sure Silva can with this squad. Even if we didnt sign anyone I am not that concerned that we will be involved in a prolonged relegation scrap or anything like that.

Having said that we need to close the gap on the clubs above us and start making a statement about our intentions over the next few years and not just settle for not being involved in a relegation battle.

You say Koeman if you go back to the early Koeman threads he was the Messiah coming to take us out the wilderness just as Silva is now, I did point out we won't be in a relegation battle, but I believe with the squad as it is we will struggle to get above 10th.

The squad isn'tt good enough in its depth 2 or 3 injuries in certain positions and we are going to struggle.

There's too much short term thinking in football these days. We know the shortcomings of our squad, we had to suffer it week in, week out last season. Our transfer business over two years has been awful, lumping us with an overloaded squad full of over paid average players. The idea that we can turn that round in one close season by throwing cash around and suddenly get back to contending with the top teams in the Prem is ludicrous. It doesn't happen. We need a five year plan, we've still got players from the Moyes era ffs. Get rid of those who don't fit, consolidate, sort out a better internal structure throughout the club, establish an identity and aim to improve by a place or two each year. No, we won't be competing for Champions League or silverware this season. But what we can expect is better football, a team we can start believing in again. 

9 hours ago, rubecula said:

Just like most of you I would settle for Europa league however if that is all you aim for you will fail.  I want us to try to be league champions but will settle for Europa league

We all want us to be Champs. The clubs ultimate aim is to be Champs.

But realistically, and for our sanity, we shouldn't be thinking of such things just now!!!

3 hours ago, Newty82 said:

We all want us to be Champs. The clubs ultimate aim is to be Champs.

But realistically, and for our sanity, we shouldn't be thinking of such things just now!!!

if you fail to prepare you must prepare to fail is a motto to live by.

55 minutes ago, Newty82 said:

Oh I'm sure we are preparing, it just isn'ttt going to happen this season....

I admit it is unlikely but we are Everton and one of the most successful clubs around, we should be aiming for the very top every season.