IGNORED

Valencia (Home - Pre Season)

aaron

Looking pretty good going forward, if only our passing were better.  But we’ll need to score lots of goals this season, as our defense is a shambles.  Baines getting beat regularly, Gana lost his man on 2d goal, as Schneiderlin and Jagielka just looked at each other.  Don’t think Sigurdsson has had a big impact.

Gana has been all over, mostly for good, some for bad.  Schneiderlin - I don’t see it.  Since Gana is wacko box-to-box, who can actually play DM?  I’d prefer Besic, and McCarthy the 2 or 3 matches per season he’s healthy.

Richarlison is clever, Tosun should score some goals.  But Schneiderlin-Gana doesn’t work, and overall defense is shambles.

Its hard to know what to say about that half. They haven't really threatened other than when they scored and both goals were far too easy.

Walcott has bottled a couple of opportunities but it is pre-season after all and he is coming back to fitness so that's nothing to be too concerned by and both Cenk and Richarlison are causing problems without finding that final ball. Siggy falls into that category too, they are all playing off each other quite nicely. Cenk's finish was fantastic.

The two in the middle are struggling again which is even more impressive as they are mainly bombarding us down the flanks. Gana is at least playing a lot more positively than Schneiderlin. The latter is turning towards goal at every opportunity and whenever he should be showing composure he is panicking. On the whole though I wouldnt say he has played that badly, but at the same time he hasnt been tested.  I am still not sure who was responsible for the goal. If it is the guy that lays the pass off before the cross he should be Schneiderlin's and if he isnt then he should be Gueye's. They really aren't an effective pairing in midfield at all. It pains me to see them play together.

The back four have largely been OK but Coleman and Baines are getting overloaded wide. From my view of the first goal, Baines got caught under the ball and then expected a shot rather than the player to take it down. Keane looked as though he had eyes only for the ball and stepped off his man who was ultimately the one that put the ball in the back of the net. I have sympathy with him in that Baines' mistake caused his reaction but Baines wasn't beaten so he needs to make sure his man cant tuck it away which he didnt. He got beaten early on and whilst Stek should have cleared the ball better later on, he could have cleared it before him too. As I mentioned at the time of his extention, Stek can potentially cost us a goal a game and he was lucky that it was disallowed today.

1 minute ago, Bailey said:

FFS. Sandro and Coleman run into each other and give the ball away and he hits it straight down the middle of the goal and Stek cant get a finger on it. 

Did you think Stek should’ve done better too? No replay, so I wasn’t sure. But in real time I thought he was poor on it. 

16 minutes ago, Romey 1878 said:

Did you think Stek should’ve done better too? No replay, so I wasn’t sure. But in real time I thought he was poor on it. 

I'm not sure but any shot that finishes down the centre of goal should be questioned. I didn't see a replay either.