IGNORED

Wolverhampton (Away) Saturday August 11th

markjazzbassist

Figured i'd give us a little time to start chatting about this one.  I don't have any idea on lineup yet, i'll post one after Valencia.  Results wise it's away to the run away winner of the Championship, we should beat them but i'd be happy with a draw as well, they will be charged up (fans too).  I just hope we don't get run over like we have all pre-season.  

You just made we think of something. We tend to view the recently promoted teams as candidates for immediate relegation. Why is this? One reason has to be that they do not receive TV money to the same level as Premier League teams and hence can't spend to the same extent on new players. Does anyone know whether the three relegated teams are awarded more money than the three promoted teams? If so, maybe we should change the rules so promoted teams earn what the relegated teams earn today, and vice versa.

I think a lot of people are getting carried away with Wolves, they have mainly bought the players they had last season. They will do alright but the only way they get something out this game is if our defence fucks up, so congrats to Wolves, in advance, for winning 4-2.

In all serious I hate playing the promoted teams early, especially the first game, they are always fired up to be back in the big time, the players always have the attitude of "lets show these Charlie Big Potatoes we are as good as them and we belong here". Against Valencia in the first half going forward wasn't a problem, was pretty decent, a big difference from last season, but second half it just stagnated. A score draw for me.

12 hours ago, Cornish Steve said:

You just made we think of something. We tend to view the recently promoted teams as candidates for immediate relegation. Why is this? One reason has to be that they do not receive TV money to the same level as Premier League teams and hence can't spend to the same extent on new players. Does anyone know whether the three relegated teams are awarded more money than the three promoted teams? If so, maybe we should change the rules so promoted teams earn what the relegated teams earn today, and vice versa.

Why? Because they tend to go straight back down as the PL is quite a step up in standard.

As for the money, first time up of course they start with less because surviving teams from the previous season have had their extra payouts, but each team starts the season with the same £££ allocation as each other. Relegated teams get their pay out for the season plus parachute payments for about 3 years.

https://www.totalsportek.com/money/premier-league-prize-money/

3 hours ago, Newty82 said:

Why? Because they tend to go straight back down as the PL is quite a step up in standard.

As for the money, first time up of course they start with less because surviving teams from the previous season have had their extra payouts, but each team starts the season with the same £££ allocation as each other. Relegated teams get their pay out for the season plus parachute payments for about 3 years.

https://www.totalsportek.com/money/premier-league-prize-money/

I think the gap between the bottom of the PL and top of the Championship is starting to narrow. In recent years the following have come up and stayed up to still be here now:

Bournemouth

Burnley

Brighton

Huddersfield

Leicester

Newcastle

Watford

When you include the 3 new teams that's half the league.

The last couple of seasons have also seen a gulf between the top 7 and the rest, with the rest all being involved in a bit of a scrap at some stage and its no surprise to see the more organised sides hang around with the only surprise being Watford (and Leicester given they won the league!).

The thing is you can imagine these sides also going down this season because there isn'tt anything special about them. A good side should beat them but they all wont roll over.

Looking at this season I think Wolves and Fulham have the best chance of staying up because their sides have a bit more than just graft. They are still pretty good at the back but they have players who can score goals. They appear to have good managers and their squads aren't clearly worse than the ones listed above. I may be underestimating Cardiff but they look like the grafters who will struggle with the step up.

1 minute ago, Bailey said:

I think the gap between the bottom of the PL and top of the Championship is starting to narrow. In recent years the following have come up and stayed up to still be here now:

Bournemouth

Burnley

Brighton

Huddersfield

Leicester

Newcastle

Watford

When you include the 3 new teams that's half the league.

The last couple of seasons have also seen a gulf between the top 7 and the rest, with the rest all being involved in a bit of a scrap at some stage and its no surprise to see the more organised sides hang around with the only surprise being Watford (and Leicester given they won the league!).

The thing is you can imagine these sides also going down this season because there isn'ttt anything special about them. A good side should beat them but they all wont roll over.

Looking at this season I think Wolves and Fulham have the best chance of staying up because their sides have a bit more than just graft. They are still pretty good at the back but they have players who can score goals. They appear to have good managers and their squads aren't clearly worse than the ones listed above. I may be underestimating Cardiff but they look like the grafters who will struggle with the step up.

wolves and fulham will stay up, solid sides and managers.  i can see cardiff going down, and honestly the battle for the other spots could be with watford brighton huddersfield newcastle soton.  none of them are spending much money, almost like they know each other won't, so if they don't they've got a good chance to be cheap and stay up.  risky gamble.  in years past everyone promoted (for the most part) spent a good chunk of that money on players trying to stay up.  now they don't do that.  it's kinda strange.  basically i see the table 3 ways, top 6, middle table sides, and the relegation fodder.  3 tiers.

3 minutes ago, markjazzbassist said:

wolves and fulham will stay up, solid sides and managers.  i can see cardiff going down, and honestly the battle for the other spots could be with watford brighton huddersfield newcastle soton.  none of them are spending much money, almost like they know each other won't, so if they don't they've got a good chance to be cheap and stay up.  risky gamble.  in years past everyone promoted (for the most part) spent a good chunk of that money on players trying to stay up.  now they don't do that.  it's kinda strange.  basically i see the table 3 ways, top 6, middle table sides, and the relegation fodder.  3 tiers.

I would still add Bournemouth and Leicester to that list, maybe even Burnley too although I think they could almost draw their way to safety lol.

I think some of the teams realise that spending money isn'tt the route to success. The sides that have stayed up haven't really spent much at all some of the ones that have gone down have had big problems trying to get the high earners off the wage bill or recoup the fees they paid.

3 minutes ago, Bailey said:

I would still add Bournemouth and Leicester to that list, maybe even Burnley too although I think they could almost draw their way to safety lol.

I think some of the teams realise that spending money isn'ttt the route to success. The sides that have stayed up haven't really spent much at all some of the ones that have gone down have had big problems trying to get the high earners off the wage bill or recoup the fees they paid.

both good points.  i have a soft spot for bournemouth so i hope they stay up.  good point about the high wage earners as well.  i honestly think leicester are close to relegation again and within the next couple years they'll be back to the championship.  their quality players have been sold and replaced with inferior ones and the only good one left is vardy now and he's getting older.  

Holgate out for at least one more week, probably needs an additional one or two after that to get back to full fitness.

Gomes most likely out until at least mid-Septmeber .

Can't see Bernard, Mina or Zouma? starting so shortly after their arrivals. Haven't heard anything about Bernard's fitness given he hasn't trained with a club since May. Mina was still in Barcelona as of Thursday night so I don't imagine Silva would chuck him straight into the matchday squad by Saturday afternoon.

Silva is going to play a 4-3-3 so I'd say the starting XI will be:

Pickford

Coleman Keane Jagielka Digne

Gueye Schneiderlin

Sigurdsson

Walcott Tosun Richarlison

Bench: Stekelenbeburg, Baines, Pennington, Davies, Lookman, Calvert-Lewin, Niasse

I'd put on a £20 bet that this will be the last league game that Jagielka ever starts for Everton.

Wolves were already far and away the best team in the Championship last season, they kept 24 clean sheets in 46 matches. Very well coached. Have been shocked by some of the players they have managed to sign. Moutinho, Jiminez and signing Jota permanently were are all class additions to a team that was already full of talented players. I can't see us dominating this game, and we might struggle defensively given that were going to have to put out the two weakest CB's we have. First game of the season is always a crapshoot so i'll fence sit and say draw.

8 minutes ago, brisbaneblue said:

I’d put on a £20 bet that this will be the last league game that Jagielka ever starts for Everton.

I think that’s a bit harsh on Jags. If the Zouma signing doesn’t go through I’d expect him and Mina to be our main CB pairing this season. Think they’d complement each other well tbh. 

13 minutes ago, Vranny said:

I think that’s a bit harsh on Jags. If the Zouma signing doesn’t go through I’d expect him and Mina to be our main CB pairing this season. Think they’d complement each other well tbh. 

I respect jags but I can't see him starting ahead of Mina, Holgate, Keane or Zouma when they are all fully fit, he turns 36 next week and I don't see them renewing his contract at the end of the season either. The Mina-Jags pairing might make sense if you're thinking of it as a youngster paired with an experienced head, but tactically they don't compliment each other - Mina is 6ft 5in and built solid, he's strong, slightly pacey with his extremely long legs over short distances when running forward but is particularly slow on the turn, he'd be better served pairing with a faster more mobile defender who can sweep behind when he challenges for headers or when we're caught on the counter. I'd be scared ever pairing the two.

1 hour ago, brisbaneblue said:

I respect jags but I can't see him starting ahead of Mina, Holgate, Keane or Zouma when they are all fully fit, he turns 36 next week and I don't see them renewing his contract at the end of the season either. The Mina-Jags pairing might make sense if you're thinking of it as a youngster paired with an experienced head, but tactically they don't compliment each other - Mina is 6ft 5in and built solid, he's strong, slightly pacey with his extremely long legs over short distances when running forward but is particularly slow on the turn, he'd be better served pairing with a faster more mobile defender who can sweep behind when he challenges for headers or when we're caught on the counter. I'd be scared ever pairing the two.

As it stands, with Holgate injured and Zouma not a confirmed arrival yet, I'd still be starting Jags over Keane. A pairing of Mina and Keane against any fleet footed player is just asking for trouble with their turning circles.

11 hours ago, brisbaneblue said:

I think we will look to see an aggressor and a covering defender with Mina. Given his size and attitude he will be the aggressor so I think Jags would work as the sweeper (until Zouma is fit anyway). Not only is Jags pretty quick still he also reads the game far better than the others. I think he will still have a part to play until the others are both physically and match fit.

10 minutes ago, nyblue23 said:

Nah I'm sure Spurs will be consistent as always. Man U, Chelsea and Arsenal all seem far more likely to implode to me than Tottenham.

this for me too.  United to be more specific, mou always wears out his welcome and this is the year.  pogba will throw a fit, he will alienate him, he will lose the dressing room, lukaku will go hiding, sanchez probably have a fit too.  they'll be in 8th or 9th and he will be fired.  spurs i think will be 2 or 3.