Sign in to follow this  
Peter H

André Gomes

8 minutes ago, Wiggytop said:

Not Schniederlin though , I've seem enough of him jogging around aimlessly, we would have the most toothless midfield ever.

Feels like we already do. 

3 hours ago, Bailey said:

I am now beginning to wonder whether he made such an impression coming into the side because he was the most rounded midfielder we have had since Barry and McCarthy were at their best.

He does always look forward and he wants play the right way. He is very good on the half turn, which is an admirable trait in midfielders, but whilst he is technically good his passing decisions aren't great and his shooting is crap. He is a petulant and rash tackler, he doesn't really compete that much in the air and he is useless at tracking runners for set pieces.

I do think there is a very good player there, especially once he is fully settled but I think the price would definitely have to be right as I think our priority should be for a more dominant midfielder ahead of him.

Sadly for me he is going to frustrate if we buy him.  Great on his day but is lacking the strength mentally. 

20 hours ago, StevO said:

I’m at the point where it might be worth trying him with Schneiderlin in midfield, not because Gana is doing anything wrong just to try a player alongside who might bring something else out in his game. At this point anything is worth a try isn’t it?

I get what you mean but I would really worry about those two together. 

I watched some of his Youtube videos of all his touches in games for Valencia and its like watching a different player. He played like a Spanish Lampard but quicker. He even made a couple of long breaks down the left wing and beat men for pace. Basically the goal he scored against Wolves, making runs into the box and smashing the ball as hard as he could. 

He also looked a lot less bulky and a lot quicker and more agile but he isnt a holding midfielder. He should be doing what Davies has been doing for the last couple of games. He should also be laying off the pies or the weights, whichever one it is that has caused him to fill out and slow him down.

14 hours ago, Bailey said:

I watched some of his Youtube videos of all his touches in games for Valencia and its like watching a different player. He played like a Spanish Lampard but quicker. He even made a couple of long breaks down the left wing and beat men for pace. Basically the goal he scored against Wolves, making runs into the box and smashing the ball as hard as he could. 

He also looked a lot less bulky and a lot quicker and more agile but he isnt a holding midfielder. He should be doing what Davies has been doing for the last couple of games. He should also be laying off the pies or the weights, whichever one it is that has caused him to fill out and slow him down.

Maybe he has just filled out with his age, according to his wiki he was around 21-22 when he played for Valencia.

1 hour ago, Aidan said:

Maybe he has just filled out with his age, according to his wiki he was around 21-22 when he played for Valencia.

Maybe... but it looks quite a difference to before, especially in his speed. It does happen to us all though 😂

10 minutes ago, markjazzbassist said:

i laughed at the pies comment, he's spent his whole life on the iberian peninsula and he's being told to eat less pies.  LOL.  you lot are the only ones that eat those horrid things.

I beg your pardon you can't beat a good pie you heathen😉

35 minutes ago, markjazzbassist said:

i laughed at the pies comment, he's spent his whole life on the iberian peninsula and he's being told to eat less pies.  LOL.  you lot are the only ones that eat those horrid things.

I'm not a pie eater, pastry gives me heartburn, but you have some awful stuff over there MJB, corn dogs, those hot dog things that roll around on heated rollers all day, aerosol cheese 😱😱😱😱

25 minutes ago, Wiggytop said:

I'm not a pie eater, pastry gives me heartburn, but you have some awful stuff over there MJB, corn dogs, those hot dog things that roll around on heated rollers all day, aerosol cheese 😱😱😱😱

where did i say american food was better?  i said he's been in spain and portugal, not sure if any englishman (or american for that matter) will think their food is better than portuguese or spanish food.  i surely don't.

1 hour ago, markjazzbassist said:

where did i say american food was better?  i said he's been in spain and portugal, not sure if any englishman (or american for that matter) will think their food is better than portuguese or spanish food.  i surely don't.

American food is better!! I love a good pie, but give me In & Out burger over anything 😍

9 hours ago, StevO said:

American food is better!! I love a good pie, but give me In & Out burger over anything 😍

Had a Google they do look good! We had Shake Shack in New York which was really good compared to many I've had over here, they do have them in London now but I'd imagine it's not the same 

One of the nastiest things I ate over there was grits! Frog spawn porridge concoction 😫

57 minutes ago, EFC-Paul said:

Had a Google they do look good! We had Shake Shack in New York which was really good compared to many I've had over here, they do have them in London now but I'd imagine it's not the same 

One of the nastiest things I ate over there was grits! Frog spawn porridge concoction 😫

Haha, grits are best when other stuff is in them.  For instance shrimp and grits it’s grits, shrimps, cheese, green onions, and usually some spices so it has a little heat.  Very simple and delicious.

im with you though, grits on their own are gross

13 hours ago, markjazzbassist said:

You didn't, I was just balancing the books a little 😀

2 hours ago, duncanmckenzieismagic said:

It’s being reported on local radio today that Barcelona are expecting to sell him in the summer and are just waiting for us to open negotiations, also says Andre is believed to be happy here and wants to stay

Hope this is true, would love to have him here permanently. 

On 15/02/2019 at 14:45, duncanmckenzieismagic said:

It’s being reported on local radio today that Barcelona are expecting to sell him in the summer and are just waiting for us to open negotiations, also says Andre is believed to be happy here and wants to stay

What matters is whether we’re happy with him here and want him to stay. Right now, I’m in two minds. 

Gomes is by far one of our vest players and he needs to stay. He had a bad patch but his A-game is a different level to most of our first 11..

We need to find a way to get the best out of him consistently and build a team round him. We have been crying our for a ball player in midfield. Now we have one lets keep him.

I thought it was noticeable in the 2nd half that the movement around him is holding him back. He beat his man a number of times, looked up and no-one had made themselves available, then he had to hold on the ball for too long and got into trouble. He always wants to get his head up and the ball forward but you can only do that if your teammates are on the same wavelength.

On 16/03/2019 at 00:31, Bailey said:

I thought it was noticeable in the 2nd half that the movement around him is holding him back. He beat his man a number of times, looked up and no-one had made themselves available, then he had to hold on the ball for too long and got into trouble. He always wants to get his head up and the ball forward but you can only do that if your teammates are on the same wavelength.

Some of the dick heads we have playing for us aren't even in the same stratosphere.

11 hours ago, Elston Gunnn said:

This article claims Spurs are interested in Gomes.

http://www.espn.com/soccer/blog/transfer-talk/79/post/3805588/transfer-talk-tottenham-hotspur-join-everton-in-pursuit-of-barcelona-man-andre-gomes

Also discusses AC Milan interest in Richarlison.

"The prospect of Spurs being able to offer more Premier League football..."

Huh? How does that work?

3 hours ago, duncanmckenzieismagic said:

👀 Am I reading too much into that or is that a big fuck off hint?

Fuck off hint to Barcelona. The lad clearly wants to sign for us.

6 minutes ago, StevO said:

Or it could be just a nod to the journalist? But I really hope it’s him wanting to sign 💙

It's indeed a nod to the journalist, but the interview makes an impression that the lad is very happy being here. No doubt he wants to sign permanently.

1 hour ago, StevO said:

I’m sure the player will make the final decision anyway. Barca will get the money they want regardless, hopefully he wants to keep playing for Everton. 

agreed at this point its not about money, we will pay what spurs will pay if we want him, it will be down to the player like Ste says.  I think we have the edge he is settled here knows everyone and the manager.  Spurs have only 1 portuguese speaker Lucas Moura, we have a contingent and whole management staff.  I fancy our odds.

44 minutes ago, Aidan said:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bbc.co.uk/sport/amp/football/47941333

Wonder what Fabinho will get for snotting on someone. 

He didn’t actually snot on him. Just did it in Hazard’s general direction, which was bad enough and strangely not one of the red shite commentary team noticed it!

18 minutes ago, Palfy said:

If found guilty will it be a 2 match ban or 3. 

28 minutes ago, Palfy said:

It would seem like any hopes of finishing 7th are slowly fading. 

If Watford lose against Arsenal tonight (as they currently are) we're still in the same position as we were a week ago, albeit with games running out.

"If" we were a bonafide 7th place side with the strength in depth and character to compete regularly on a Thursday and a Sunday then I would be all for it..... but we aren't yet and I'm more bothered in learning how to get consistency and strength to play league games against teams that we should be able to beat. 

We have managed to find ourselves in a position to finish 7th somehow.... 

1 hour ago, plaidharper said:

He accepted the charge and will miss 3 matches...

Would be sad if that is his last game at Goodison.

You never know good even be a Spurs player next season how shite would that be. 

If that’s true, it should already be sorted. We should be all over that.

That would be an absolute steal. Would even make the business evertonians happy haha. Possibly of profit haha.

Not that I think we should be looking at it that way at all. Just know that so many do.