Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Romey 1878

Carabao Cup Draw

Recommended Posts

Just now, markjazzbassist said:

happy with that.  i hope silva takes the cups seriously.

No reason why he shouldn't. No European football this season means I hope we kick on with the cup games.

You never know, maybe his attacking style with thwart other teams and we can have a decent run.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Aidan said:

No reason why he shouldn't. No European football this season means I hope we kick on with the cup games.

You never know, maybe his attacking style with thwart other teams and we can have a decent run.

i just don't get why any manager wouldn't, it basically guarantees you a contract extension.  more time to work with the team.  it's also the easiest/fastest route to success.  i'd rather win the league cup or FA cup than get 7th place and get last europa spot.  it means more.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

With the competition for spaces we have i see plenty of changes for this but still a strong looking team.

Might end up being the first outing for a couple of new signings as well as a chance for the likes of Lookman, Dowell, Kenny and calvert lewin to impress.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, markjazzbassist said:

i just don't get why any manager wouldn't, it basically guarantees you a contract extension.  more time to work with the team.  it's also the easiest/fastest route to success.  i'd rather win the league cup or FA cup than get 7th place and get last europa spot.  it means more.

Doing well doesnt guarentee it though. Puel got Southampton to a final and he was sacked, Martinez to two semis and ge was gone. Even Conte won an FA Cup and was replaced. Its not like winning a cup is easy especially now all the top 6 clubs have managers that need to win at least one trophy a season. 

Most boards will prioritise the league over domestic cups because of money and that will always be the case. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Bailey said:

Doing well doesnt guarentee it though. Puel got Southampton to a final and he was sacked, Martinez to two semis and ge was gone. Even Conte won an FA Cup and was replaced. Its not like winning a cup is easy especially now all the top 6 clubs have managers that need to win at least one trophy a season. 

Most boards will prioritise the league over domestic cups because of money and that will always be the case. 

puel and martinez didn't win, i specified they needed to bring the trophy home.  Conte is a terrible example they get a new manager every 2 years regardless of performance, abramovich is ADD.....oh look a squirrel

 

good point about the league and yes i agree that's where the money is and what the bosses want but had Puel or martinez won, they'd have a lot longer leashes than they got.  Puel is honestly just a bad example his playing style is so polar opposite to soton i don't know why they hired him in the first place.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, rubecula said:

as we have never won the league cup it means more to the fans than it does to management I think,  but I will not expect us to win it in my lifetime, if ever.

we will win it rubes, i know it.  hell might even be this year.  the FA cup is coming home soon too, i can feel it man, i just know it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, markjazzbassist said:

puel and martinez didn't win, i specified they needed to bring the trophy home.  Conte is a terrible example they get a new manager every 2 years regardless of performance, abramovich is ADD.....oh look a squirrel

 

good point about the league and yes i agree that's where the money is and what the bosses want but had Puel or martinez won, they'd have a lot longer leashes than they got.  Puel is honestly just a bad example his playing style is so polar opposite to soton i don't know why they hired him in the first place.

I know you did but it isnt that easy. These guys got close and it didnt mean jack because their league form was crap. Martinez wouldnt have stayed on in that last year had he won the cup. Wenger won cups in his latter years but fans wanted him gone (and he would have gone had it not been for his history). Klopp and Poch havent been sacked despite not winning a cup. 

Conte isnt a bad example because he would still be at Chelsea now if he had won the league rather than the Fa Cup regardless of Abramovich. Van Gaal won an FA cup and was sacked. Laudrup was sacked the season after winning it and Dalglish was sacked the same season as winning it. Do you need more examples or will that do? 😃

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, markjazzbassist said:

we will win it rubes, i know it.  hell might even be this year.  the FA cup is coming home soon too, i can feel it man, i just know it.

:yay: someone with optimism :jumpforjoy: I salute you sir.  Hmm no saluting emote :P

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They say the League Cup is struggling. Nobody seems to want it. I think all the fans would love to win it but it has to be important. They need to make radical changes. Perhaps barring Champions League teams from entering or having a ladder rather than the draw might spice it up

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Bailey said:

Even Brentford Arsenal could be interesting as Brentford love to score goals and Arsenal arent fond of defending! It definitely wont be a nil nil.

Went to watch Brentford play many moons ago (think it was against Aldershot) and there was a kid behind us who spent the whole match "singing" the MOTD theme (da da da da da da da da da, da dah da da da da) but only the first bit of it-over and over again-for the whole ninety minutes, and I wanted him to shut up after three; was ready to strangle him after five but it just continued. Got out of therapy last year:unsure:.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, MikeO said:

Went to watch Brentford play many moons ago (think it was against Aldershot) and there was a kid behind us who spent the whole match "singing" the MOTD theme (da da da da da da da da da, da dah da da da da) but only the first bit of it-over and over again-for the whole ninety minutes, and I wanted him to shut up after three; was ready to strangle him after five but it just continued. Got out of therapy last year:unsure:.

mike he was probably "special", just be happy for him he was able to go and enjoy the match.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Gwlad all over said:

Eldest's mate at uni was Bristol City fan. Pair of them went to Ashton Gate and got "Citeh. citeh" in their ears all match long. Just sayin'

Ashton Gate was my lad's first ever Everton game, http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/league_cup/3656016.stm

Stadium has been hugely improved since those days though, drove past it recently and it's unrecognisable; nieces partner is a season ticket holder. I'd love them to get promotion one day, south west could do with a top flight club. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, MikeO said:

Went to watch Brentford play many moons ago (think it was against Aldershot) and there was a kid behind us who spent the whole match "singing" the MOTD theme (da da da da da da da da da, da dah da da da da) but only the first bit of it-over and over again-for the whole ninety minutes, and I wanted him to shut up after three; was ready to strangle him after five but it just continued. Got out of therapy last year:unsure:.

Ah - is that how it goes! Always wondered.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, AlbanyNYToffee said:

Always try to be glass half full here but can't do it this time. This is exactly the type of game that sets us up for complete disappointment at the final whistle. Hope I'm wrong...

If we carry on developing at the rate we have, we will absolutely smash them.

Hughes has got them playing relegation football already.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, duncanmckenzieismagic said:

We are going to throw the game anyway so it doesn’t really matter what night we don’t turn up

harsh that Dunc.  but true I fear...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 31/08/2018 at 21:00, London Blue said:

If we carry on developing at the rate we have, we will absolutely smash them.

Hughes has got them playing relegation football already.

This won't be easy we struggled in the league game 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Wiggytop said:

Trying to buy tickets for my ST seats on the club site, can't connect, anyone else getting the same?

I lost/cancelled by bank card before the last game and updated my details but my ticket never worked and I had to buy a one on the day after getting there and finding out it never worked. Just had the same email today even though my bank details are showing as up to date. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Gwlad all over said:

Why is our game against Southampton not being played this week?

Because Liverpool got drawn at home as well. Not enough police to cover both games, no surprise it's us and not them who get their game switched. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 24/09/2018 at 02:53, pete0 said:

Because Liverpool got drawn at home as well. Not enough police to cover both games, no surprise it's us and not them who get their game switched. 

Glad it’s us been put back a week. Another week to get bodies fit will be massive for us.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, markjazzbassist said:

if we beat soton we will play Leicester Away.  this would be another winnable match.  i really think marco needs to take this competition seriously, we are getting good draws here.  

Leicester away isn’t a good draw! Firstly I’d rather a home draw against anyone and then there were plenty of weaker teams than Leicester. Also the so called big teams will have Europe to contend with so I’d fancy our chances against them. IMO it was one of the worst teams we could have got. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, barryj said:

Leicester away isn’t a good draw! Firstly I’d rather a home draw against anyone and then there were plenty of weaker teams than Leicester. Also the so called big teams will have Europe to contend with so I’d fancy our chances against them. IMO it was one of the worst teams we could have got. 

Man city and Chelsea would have been the worst for me.  We were bound to get an away match eventually I’d rather be there than the Bridge.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...