IGNORED

Top 5 albums, films, books and box sets

Hafnia

2 hours ago, MikeO said:

I've only got two books on Kindle, Cornish Steve's and Jenson Button's autobiography; slightly diverse offerings:D.

When it comes to books I think that anyone who doesn't have Catch-22 on their list...

a) Hasn't read it.

b) Needs psychological evaluation.  

As you know, I’m a big fan. Certainly the funniest book I’ve ever read, but when I saw that you had already put it in, I instinctively shied away from following orders, a la Yossarian. What kind of name is MikeO, anyway? 😜

If you’re into biographies, I recommend that of Henry Stanley. How anyone could achieve so much in life is beyond me. Born in Wales and soon abandoned by his single mother, Stanley stowed away on a ship, fought for the South in the US civil war, fought for the North in the same war, worked for a New York newspaper, searched for and found David Livingstone (I presume) in Africa, traversed the length of the Congo river while being chased occasionally by cannibals, reached Khartoum soon after Gordon’s death, returned to Britain to become a Member of Parliament, and did so much more. Amazing. 

17 hours ago, MikeO said:

I've only got two books on Kindle, Cornish Steve's and Jenson Button's autobiography; slightly diverse offerings:D.

When it comes to books I think that anyone who doesn't have Catch-22 on their list...

a) Hasn't read it.

One that I’ve always meant to read, and long with 1984. American Gods (which I should put in my top 5 books) ruined reading for me because I knew I’d never read a more perfectly written and gripping story. 

Albums 

Al Green   Let’s stay together 

Status Quo.  On the level 

David Bowie.   Young Americans 

The Sex Pistols.   Never mind the Bollocks 

The Speacials.   Too much too young 

Films

Shawshank redemption 

Glory

A man called horse

Papillon

Dances with Wolves 

1 hour ago, Palfy said:

Albums 

Al Green   Let’s stay together 

Status Quo.  On the level 

David Bowie.   Young Americans 

The Sex Pistols.   Never mind the Bollocks 

The Speacials.   Too much too young 

Films

Shawshank redemption 

Glory

A man called horse

Papillon

Dances with Wolves 

Loving your film choices (Glory aside which I've not seen) but very different musical taste, though I can't argue with a bit of Quo.

On 05/09/2018 at 02:36, Cornish Steve said:

Albums:-

1. Tenth Symphony of Gustav Mahler (Mazzetti edition), Leonard Slatkin conducting the St Louis Symphony Orchestra
2. Midsummer Marriage  by Michael Tippett, Colin Davis conducting the Orchestra of the Royal Opera House
3. The Dream of Gerontius by Edward Elgar, Andrew Davis conducting the BBC Symphony Orchestra and Chorus
4. A Song of the Night by Gustav Holst, Janice Graham solo violin with the English Sinfonietta
5. Requiem by Amadeus Mozart (any recording, really)

If we're going down that road I'd opt for...

Orff, Carmina Burana

Bach, mass in B minor

Beethoven, Symphony No. 6 (Pastoral)

Tchaikovsky, The Sleeping Beauty

Elgar, Enigma Variations

16 minutes ago, MikeO said:

Loving your film choices (Glory aside which I've not seen) but very different musical taste, though I can't argue with a bit of Quo.

Go out of your way to watch Glory Mike I'm sure you will like it based on a true story of the only black regiment to fight in the civil war.

Yes my musical taste is diverse from Motown to Punk even heavy metal with Deep Purples Burn and Hawkwind, but the album's I listed are what I grew up with at different stages of my life in 70s and 80s when music was a big part of my life, and even the way I dressed and the people I associated with and the places I hung out were based on my musical tastes at the time.

On 05/09/2018 at 14:26, Formby said:

I love seeing what's in other people's record collections, or what's on their bookshelves (or should that be what's on their phones / Kindle? 🤔?). You can really find an affinity to people through shared art / passions (even though your personalities may be very different!).

Albums

Joni Mitchell - Hejira

Kula Shaker - Peasants, Pigs and Astronauts

The Doors - LA Woman or Morrison Hotel

Beach Boys - Pet Sounds

XTC - Skylarking

Films

Laura (1944)

Night of the Demon  (1957)

Alien (1979)

LA Confidential (1997)

The Prestige (2006)

Books

James Ellroy - LA Quartet

Tolkien - LOTR

Thomas Hardy - Tess of the d'Urbevilles

Mervyn Peake - Gormenghast trilogy

Charles Dickens - Great Expectations

Box Sets

Battlestar Galactica (new series)

Breaking Bad

Mad Men

The X-Files

Caprica

Formby just seen your choice of XTC Andy Partridge still lives in Swindon and helps to promote local bands, great choice mate.

29 minutes ago, Palfy said:

Go out of your way to watch Glory Mike I'm sure you will like it based on a true story of the only black regiment to fight in the civil war.

Yes my musical taste is diverse from Motown to Punk even heavy metal with Deep Purples Burn and Hawkwind, but the album's I listed are what I grew up with at different stages of my life in 70s and 80s when music was a big part of my life, and even the way I dressed and the people I associated with and the places I hung out were based on my musical tastes at the time.

Revisiting my youth tomorrow, driving up to Manchester to see Camel, one of my favourite bands in my teens playing some of the first things I "mastered" (those inverted commas are big) on the guitar alongside Neil Young songs. Very excited by it, plus I get let off the leash for a night:lol:. Just a shame I have to go to Manchester which I hear is full of some nasty stuff!

5 minutes ago, MikeO said:

Revisiting my youth tomorrow, driving up to Manchester to see Camel, one of my favourite bands in my teens playing some of the first things I "mastered" (those inverted commas are big) on the guitar alongside Neil Young songs. Very excited by it, plus I get let off the leash for a night:lol:. Just a shame I have to go to Manchester which I hear is full of some nasty stuff!

Have great time Mike and take it easy with the head banging you can't afford the loss of brain cells at our age.

On ‎05‎/‎09‎/‎2018 at 15:45, MikeO said:

a) Hasn't read it.

I fit in with b) I think,  I didn't ever own a copy as I never really liked it ,  sorry to offend your sensibilities.

6 hours ago, rubecula said:

I fit in with b) I think,  I didn't ever own a copy as I never really liked it ,  sorry to offend your sensibilities.

Rubes touché mate I don’t read books at all the last book I read was Bravo two Zero and that was because my wife was a school friend of the guy who got lost and froze to death in the mountains. 

Also how do people find time to read I’m to busy chatting shite all the time to be able to read, has Cornish had a book published or am I missing something through my lack of reading. 

mine are in no particular order, bloody hard to put just 5 down:

Albums -

Eminem - Curtain Call

The Prodigy - Their Law

Earth, Wind & Fire - Ultimate Collection

Led Zeppelin - Mothership

Arctic Monkeys - Whatever People Say I am, That's what I'm Not

Movies -

Empire Strikes Back

Avengers Infinity War

Shawshank Redemption

Jurassic Park

Saving Private Ryan

Box Sets -

Game Of Thrones

Breaking Bad

Band Of Brothers

Scrubs

Parks and Recreation

I don't read as much these days so instead I'm doing my top 5 games!

GTA 5

GTA San Andreas

Zelda Ocarina Of Time

Goldeneye 64

Ark Survival Evolved.

Albums -

Coldplay - A Rush of Blood to the Head

Linkin Park - Hybrid Theory

Linkin Park - Meteora

Mayday Parade - A Lesson In Romantics

Eminem - The Eminem Show

Films -

Split

Logan

The Dark Knight

The Green Mile

Gone In 60 Seconds

Books -

The Uhtred series by Bernard Cornwell

Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince - JK Rowling

Tuesdays With Morrie - Mitch Albom

The Charlie Parker series by John Connolly

The Lightbringer series by Brent Weeks

Box Sets -

Game of Thrones

Ray Donovan

Vikings

The Newsroom

Criminal Minds

11 hours ago, MikeO said:

What did you not like about it?

note I did not say dislike.  I just found it to be depressingly dull if I am brutally honest Mike.  I couldn't stand the film either  I never even smiled when the medals were issued. only one thing I can say about the book is it helped me sleep

My list would have been different had I just answered without reading other's lists - I was reminded of some greats that may have slipped my mind. All in no particular order

Albums

Linkin Park, Hybrid Theory - fistbump Romey

U2, Joshua Tree (War and Boy were close)

Rush, 2112

David + David, Boomtown

Appetite for Destruction, Gun's and Roses (barely edges out Pearl Jam, Ten)

Books 

Natasha's Dance: A Cultural History of Russia. Orlando Figes (2002)

The Hunt for Red October, Tom Clancy (1984)

The Firm, John Grisham (1991)

Hitchhikers Guide, Douglas Adams (1979) - fistbump Matt

How I Raised Myself from Failure to Success in Selling, Frank Bettger (1947)   

Yes, I'm in sales, but this is hands down the best "self -help" book I have ever read. Goes far beyond sales, attitude, enthusiasm,  communication...almost 70 years old, but the principals are timeless

Films

Caddyshack (1980)

Full Metal Jacket (1987)

This is Spinal Tap (1984)

Ferris Bueller's Day Off (1986)

The Big Lebowski (1998) - fistbump MarkJB

Boxsets (I guess this is tv series right?)

Breaking Bad/Better Call Saul - yes BCS is still on-going, but hard to separate the two.

Seinfeld (I mean, it's a show about nothing)

Sanford & Son (groundbreaking and Redd Foxx is still hilarious)

Midsommer Murders (turned me on to the entire genre of British detective shows)

The Americans (The best tv drama I have seen, bar none) 

Albums

The Stone Roses - The Stone Roses

Oasis - Definitely Maybe

Arctic Monkeys - Whatever People Say I Am... 

Pulp - Different Class

The Jam - Sound Affects

Films

The Departed

Gangs of New York

True Romance

Goodfellas

American History X

TV

Breakng Bad

Sopranos

Ray Donovan

The Tunnel

Get Shorty - only been one season so far but it was excellent.

Books - something I only find time to do on holiday - maybe it will become something I prioritise in the future.

On 23/08/2018 at 19:34, sibdane said:

Lateralus by Tool -- really good shout. Very influential to me in the way that I play drums. 

Been on a Tool tour. Shame they’re not on Spotify (for ease of access at work), but fuck me they are incredible. I think the only band in the world I’d travel long and far to see. 

On ‎06‎/‎09‎/‎2018 at 22:32, Palfy said:

Formby just seen your choice of XTC Andy Partridge still lives in Swindon and helps to promote local bands, great choice mate.

Nice! Quintessentially English songwriter - and critically overlooked! He is very funny in interviews, too - completely barmy!

3 hours ago, c1982 said:

Albums

The Stone Roses - The Stone Roses

Oasis - Definitely Maybe

Arctic Monkeys - Whatever People Say I Am... 

Pulp - Different Class

The Jam - Sound Affects

The Stone Roses I heard pre-release, master tapes came into my studio one day for me to do my thing with same as any number did every week; had no inkling about who they were but it was one of those things that totally blew me away from the first listen. Sound proof room and I turned the wick up to eleven, great piece of work though it presented me some challenges, particularly the very quiet opening; but I loved a challenge, happy memories. Played it to my lad in the car not long ago and he's now a huge fan.

Also Sound Affects was The Jam's finest hour.

1 hour ago, MikeO said:

The Stone Roses I heard pre-release, master tapes came into my studio one day for me to do my thing with same as any number did every week; had no inkling about who they were but it was one of those things that totally blew me away from the first listen. Sound proof room and I turned the wick up to eleven, great piece of work though it presented me some challenges, particularly the very quiet opening; but I loved a challenge, happy memories. Played it to my lad in the car not long ago and he's now a huge fan.

What did you work as, Mike? Cutting engineer?

2 hours ago, MikeO said:

That stone roses album is timeless. Absolute brilliance.  Bye bye bad man.... this is the one, sugarspun sister,  she bangs the drums.... theres only 2 tunes on there that I skip.

Name them....

31 minutes ago, Formby said:

What did you work as, Mike? Cutting engineer?

Similar. Those of us of an age will recall the days when albums were released on vinyl and cassette, I was the cassette equivalent of the vinyl cutting engineer. What I had to do was take a studio quality recording with huge dynamic range and frequency variation and make a recording optimised for Joe Public's Amstrad, because just doing a straight copy would mean the quiet bits would disappear into the ubiquitous hiss and the loud bits would distort to shit; I did it for a lot of years and (though I say it myself) I was damn good at it. Most of our competitors used electronic help but I always worked by ear.

6 minutes ago, hafnia said:

That stone roses album is timeless. Absolute brilliance.  Bye bye bad man.... this is the one, sugarspun sister,  she bangs the drums.... theres only 2 tunes on there that I skip.

Name them....

The "clever" backward one that I can't remember the title of has worn a bit thin over the years, that aside I don't know.