Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
markjazzbassist

Rotherham (Home League Cup) Wednesday August 29th

Recommended Posts

The team website doesn't even have this on there!! i had to google their fixture list.  I am hoping Marco is a manager that takes the cups serious, it could give the players/fans/club a much needed boost to win some hardware.  Yes i realize that after saying that i put a bunch of second stringers on here but mostly because they need fitness and needs to be assessed to stay with the club (lookman, mccarthy, sandro, etc).  Frankly they should beat a team like rotherham as well.  Also i'm thinking bernard sub appearance because we'll need him full time for the next 3 matches and don't want to wear him out.

 

                                         Stek

                 Kenny   Holgate Zouma Digne

                            Davies  Beni/McCarthy (is he fit?)

               Sandro          Dowell          Lookman

                                        DCL

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That lineup should be enough to win. Zouma got a few minutes today (certainly under terrible circumstances) but he looked okay. I'm a little worried about Digne but hope he gets some time to get comfortable.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wouldn't trust Stekelenburg to run a bath, nevermind keep a clean sheet for us. Whilst we don't want to burn out Pickford following his World Cup campaign I don't think it'll do him any harm playing on Wednesday and it will be a good chance for him to get a clean sheet under his belt for the first time this season. 

Zouma will more than likely play in the centre, perhaps alongside Holgate if Keane isn'ttt fit and seeing as Jagielka is banned. Digne on the left would be nice too and would give him a chance to show us what he's got. On the right, Jonjoe Kenny maybe?

The middle of the park we can tinker with, happy for Davies to start alongside one of the established two of Gueye and Schneiderlin for consistency. Out wide, maybe some changes with any of Calvert-Lewin, Lookman or Sandro coming in. Dowell in the middle giving Gylfi a rest would be nice to see too, keep him and Bernard fresh for the weekend. 

Up top, I'd keep Cenk. He's worked hard this season so far but needs a goal, against struggling opposition maybe he can get one in the bag and be off the mark?

 

Pickford

Kenny - Holgate - Zouma - Digne

Davies - Schneiderlin

Sandro - Dowell - Calvert-Lewin

Tosun

Subs: Stekelenburg, Feeney, Gueye, Lookman, Walcott, Niasse

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Zoo 2.0 said:

I wouldn't trust Stekelenburg to run a bath, nevermind keep a clean sheet for us. Whilst we don't want to burn out Pickford following his World Cup campaign I don't think it'll do him any harm playing on Wednesday and it will be a good chance for him to get a clean sheet under his belt for the first time this season. 

Zouma will more than likely play in the centre, perhaps alongside Holgate if Keane isn'tttt fit and seeing as Jagielka is banned. Digne on the left would be nice too and would give him a chance to show us what he's got. On the right, Jonjoe Kenny maybe?

The middle of the park we can tinker with, happy for Davies to start alongside one of the established two of Gueye and Schneiderlin for consistency. Out wide, maybe some changes with any of Calvert-Lewin, Lookman or Sandro coming in. Dowell in the middle giving Gylfi a rest would be nice to see too, keep him and Bernard fresh for the weekend. 

Up top, I'd keep Cenk. He's worked hard this season so far but needs a goal, against struggling opposition maybe he can get one in the bag and be off the mark?

 

Pickford

Kenny - Holgate - Zouma - Digne

Davies - Schneiderlin

Sandro - Dowell - Calvert-Lewin

Tosun

Subs: Stekelenburg, Feeney, Gueye, Lookman, Walcott, Niasse

I like that, but I’d rather Lookman starts and DCL goes up front. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

                      Pickford 

Coleman Holgate Zouma Digne

                        Gana

   Walcott Bernard Siggy Lookman

                       Tosun

Hope we take this game seriously and retain most of the starting 11 from Bournmouth. If Silva isn'tt up to picking Lookman slot Bernard in on the left and Dowell along side Siggy.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The thing about these matches is that you know they will be bang up for it and will try and make it a battle. I would avoid playing any of the sulkier players who will go missing once someone has given them a kick (I am thinking Sandro / Lookman and maybe Walcott in respect of that he isnt exactly a battler. I also wouldn't start Stek in a pub side so if the young lad wont play then it has to be Pickford. I would also be tempted to start both Niasse and DCL up front, maybe Dowell one side to get the ball in the box and Bernard the other. If you still wanted 3 behind the striker all 3 of these could mix and match rotating where they start.

Hopefully we can win the game nice an easy in the first half, get Bernard and Gana off after 60 minutes to give Beni and Lookman a run out. Maybe have one of the young CBs on the bench too so that they can have 15 mins at the end.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Need a chance to give new players a game, as well as squad players, and give some players a rest.

                    Pickford

 Kenny Holgate Zouma Digne

                 Beni  Davies

Bernard       Dowell      Lookman

                    Tosun

I think Tosun should start as he needs a goal, Lookman and Bernard our options out wide that need a game and Beni and Dowell are future players for this team. This is a chance for them to push for places.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Done a £5 bts and win acca yesterday, and these buggers *Liverpool fan mode activated* not letting Millwall beat them stopped me from getting a £1700. Only put them in as we were playing them so had looked them up and they on paper were rubbish. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, pete0 said:

They're favourites for relegation I'd put the kids against them and show them what level they need to be better than. 

But if the kids lose we are out of the easiest cup at the first hurdle. We have depth in the squad and no Europe so we should be going as all out as we can whilst giving minutes to first teamers on the fringes where possible, especially the ones with limited pre-season minutes. If they seal the win early, then bring a kid off the bench.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, Bailey said:

But if the kids lose we are out of the easiest cup at the first hurdle. We have depth in the squad and no Europe so we should be going as all out as we can whilst giving minutes to first teamers on the fringes where possible, especially the ones with limited pre-season minutes. If they seal the win early, then bring a kid off the bench.

Not the whole eleven but a mix of kids and those who need minutes. 

Pickford/Virginia

Kenny Holgate Zouma Digne

Bowler Charsley Baningime Bernard

Dowell

DCL

Lookman on the bench. With a mix of experienced players and kids so if we're struggling the pros can come on or bring the kids on if we're winning. Holgate and Zouma so they're not going on blind together on the weekend. Give Foulds or whoever is rated the best CB amongst the u23s as they'll be on the bench at the weekend and might be called into the fold if either get injured. 

Personally not fussed on the league  Cup rather use it to get players fit and get the youth involved rather than risk first teamers. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, pete0 said:

Not the whole eleven but a mix of kids and those who need minutes. 

Pickford/Virginia

Kenny Holgate Zouma Digne

Bowler Charsley Baningime Bernard

Dowell

DCL

Lookman on the bench. With a mix of experienced players and kids so if we're struggling the pros can come on or bring the kids on if we're winning. Holgate and Zouma so they're not going on blind together on the weekend. Give Foulds or whoever is rated the best CB amongst the u23s as they'll be on the bench at the weekend and might be called into the fold if either get injured. 

Personally not fussed on the league  Cup rather use it to get players fit and get the youth involved rather than risk first teamers. 

I get yer. Personally I think that would be a big risk in the midfield playing 3 inexperienced kids alongside a guy who has played 20 minutes in this country (give or take UCL games).  At the very least I would like to see a Gana / Davies in the middle to add a bit of experience and nous. We need to give young lads the platform to perform alongside the men especially in a game that we should be looking to win (rather than a dead rubber where we have seen wholesale changes).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Bailey said:

I get yer. Personally I think that would be a big risk in the midfield playing 3 inexperienced kids alongside a guy who has played 20 minutes in this country (give or take UCL games).  At the very least I would like to see a Gana / Davies in the middle to add a bit of experience and nous. We need to give young lads the platform to perform alongside the men especially in a game that we should be looking to win (rather than a dead rubber where we have seen wholesale changes).

Get where you're coming from and if not for injuries I'd include a cm as well. But given the other two options Davies and Gana I don't think they'd pick up much experience and think it'd be safer with Baningime. 

Coleman aside I'd imagine there's a fair few players that see it as a dead rubber or would underestimate the opposition. Whereas the kids will be hungry to impress. Plus with the size of the squad opportunities for the kids will be slim other than the cups. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, pete0 said:

Get where you're coming from and if not for injuries I'd include a cm as well. But given the other two options Davies and Gana I don't think they'd pick up much experience and think it'd be safer with Baningime. 

Coleman aside I'd imagine there's a fair few players that see it as a dead rubber or would underestimate the opposition. Whereas the kids will be hungry to impress. Plus with the size of the squad opportunities for the kids will be slim other than the cups. 

Yeh as I typed Gana and Davies I was thinking its a shame we dont have a Barry or McCarthy or even a Rooney in the middle managing them through the game. 

I would personally like to see Davies get another run out because individually he wasnt at his best against Bournemouth and I would like to see him go out there against lesser opposition and show that he can dominate a game in the same style that he and Gana did against Southampton at times. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A trophy we’ve never won, and an unbeaten run to keep going. we have depth now, let’s use it but not just “play the kids” 

 

id go 4-1-4-1 and start Lookman, give him a chance to see if he’s really interested or not. If not, yank him off at half time. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Coleman had a stinker against Bournemouth and he's the type to dig in and put it behind him, Baines doesnt have the legs for 90 minutes let alone two game's in quick succession so Digne should be in and Stek scares the shit out of me 

Tosun needs a goal to get off the mark I think once he hits one he'll start firing so I'd start him with looking at bringing Naisse in if all's going well at halftime, Dowell in for Sigurdsson as he's worked his bollocks off imo the last two games and I think Dowell has enough to fill in and needs minutes under his belt and although I've criticised Davies I can see slight improvements in his game under Silva with his movement and runs he just needs to pass it to one of our players every now and again!!

Bernard in for Richarlison or Lookman, this will be a big indicator of what the lads situation is ATM in my eyes so we'll see how it goes 

I wouldn't make to many changes though as its something we should be looking at winning 

 

                       Pickford 

Coleman  Holgate   Zouma Digne

                          Gana   

              Dowell          Davies

  Walcott                           Bernard

                         Tosun

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Interesting thread here as the definition of squad depth vs. kids seems to be in question. One vote but this year at least I'd rather start squad depth over kids. To me kids are u23s/u18s making debuts with no football league experience. Davies/beni/kenny/galloway/browning/pennington/charsley aren't kids. Also no way I'd play Lookman at this point. 

Stek

Kenny Holgate Zouma Digne

Davies Dowell Beni 

DCL Niasse Bernard

 

Hewelt Feeney Pennington Foulds Charsley Sambou Broadhead 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 25/08/2018 at 15:49, Romey 1878 said:

Red cards count for all comps, only yellows are specific to the competition they’re picked up in. 

Domestic specific and foreign specific that is, I believe. Just to further clarify the ever-confusing world of football rules

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, markjazzbassist said:

right so you'd miss FA cup, league cup, PL matches.  but would not CL or europa matches.  thanks fifa

Correct until I'm proven incorrect by someone more aware of the news than me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Either way surely its advantageous for us, Richarlison's ban will only be for 2 Prem games and Jagielka's ban will end after Tomorrows game... 

I can't say I'm dissatisfied 😊!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Finn balor said:

And I remember announcing the birth of my boy on this website. Where do the years go? I left the site for a bit. I was under tricky trev. Madness 😫

"Tricky trev" joined in December 2005 so it's been a while (can merge the two accounts together if you like, would add 2276 to your post count).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree with the combination of youth/new players.

 

              Virginia

Kenny Holgate Zouma Digne

          Davies Gana

  Bernard Siggy Lookman

                Tosun

Bring Sandro on if we have a lead around halftime and see if he can prove anything. DCL and/or Niasse should get some minutes, too. Not sure if Bernard is comfortable on the right? But if not, it means Walcott is our only right-sided wide player with the exception of Sandro who doesn’t seem to have a good position anywhere, so I hope he is.

I think it will be important to keep Siggy in the side as we need someone proven at picking passes if anyone in that squad is going to score.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, nyblue23 said:

I agree with the combination of youth/new players.

 

              Virginia

Kenny Holgate Zouma Digne

          Davies Gana

  Bernard Siggy Lookman

                Tosun

Bring Sandro on if we have a lead around halftime and see if he can prove anything. DCL and/or Niasse should get some minutes, too. Not sure if Bernard is comfortable on the right? But if not, it means Walcott is our only right-sided wide player with the exception of Sandro who doesn’t seem to have a good position anywhere, so I hope he is.

I think it will be important to keep Siggy in the side as we need someone proven at picking passes if anyone in that squad is going to score.

For me I don't see any reason why a keeper needs resting throughout the season so Pickford should defiantly stay in the net for me...

As far as Lookman is concerned I'd rather him be nowhere near the squad... He has an attitude problem and if he isn'tt sold this window could become the new Mirallas and by that I mean causing unrest in the  dressing room,  Who would I put there in his place? I don't have a clue to be perfectly honest  maybe DCL although i fully understand this is not ideal (Square pegs in round holes)...

Wouldn't mind giving Tosun a rest as the lad has been ran ragged recently and could probably do with it until the weekend...  saying that it would be a good chance to get him his firstt goal of the campaign and Lord knows he needs it to get some folk off his back (Me not being one of them as i believe his all round play is fantastic)...

Other than that I agree with  the rest of your team, sincerely hope Bernard and Digne get a good run out as I'm looking forward to seeing them play and Bernard will probably be in the first team come the weekend with Richarlison out, would be a great game for him to find his feet! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 25/08/2018 at 21:58, markjazzbassist said:

The team website doesn't even have this on there!! i had to google their fixture list.  I am hoping Marco is a manager that takes the cups serious, it could give the players/fans/club a much needed boost to win some hardware. 

I’d rather we win some silverware than some building materials or tools! 😉

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I say this every year, and I know plenty disagree, but this is a Mickey Mouse cup that counts for precisely nothing. The prize money is pitiful, so financially it's better we focus on finishing one position higher in the league. No top team bothers to field anything other than a second string team, hence it's not unusual to see small teams progress further than they should. Frankly, we shouldn't waste first team players on it but instead use it as training for fringe players.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Cornish Steve said:

I say this every year, and I know plenty disagree, but this is a Mickey Mouse cup that counts for precisely nothing. The prize money is pitiful, so financially it's better we focus on finishing one position higher in the league. No top team bothers to field anything other than a second string team, hence it's not unusual to see small teams progress further than they should. Frankly, we shouldn't waste first team players on it but instead use it as training for fringe players.

Use the squad according to who you are playing to get the job done.  If we were playing Liverpool I would expect us to field a strong side. We are only playing in 3 competitions.  No excuses. 

We probably earned a pittance for winning the league trophies we have - it's not the cash value it's the honour. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 27/08/2018 at 17:22, Romey 1878 said:

Two or three changes, no more imo. Sick of treating this competition like shite when fans still fork out to go and watch it. 

Which is precisely why I’m not going tonight, I say every year I’m going to swerve this competition but then always cave in at the last minute.

Ive finally given up with it now though, if the club can’t be arsed with it why should I ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, duncanmckenzieismagic said:

Which is precisely why I’m not going tonight, I say every year I’m going to swerve this competition but then always cave in at the last minute.

Ive finally given up with it now though, if the club can’t be arsed with it why should I ?

I can't not go the game even when we are shite Everton is my drug I've got to have it. 

I cant watch on telly if we are home. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...