IGNORED

Rotherham (Home League Cup) Wednesday August 29th

markjazzbassist

The team website doesn't even have this on there!! i had to google their fixture list.  I am hoping Marco is a manager that takes the cups serious, it could give the players/fans/club a much needed boost to win some hardware.  Yes i realize that after saying that i put a bunch of second stringers on here but mostly because they need fitness and needs to be assessed to stay with the club (lookman, mccarthy, sandro, etc).  Frankly they should beat a team like rotherham as well.  Also i'm thinking bernard sub appearance because we'll need him full time for the next 3 matches and don't want to wear him out.

Stek

Kenny   Holgate Zouma Digne

Davies  Beni/McCarthy (is he fit?)

Sandro          Dowell          Lookman

DCL

I wouldn't trust Stekelenburg to run a bath, nevermind keep a clean sheet for us. Whilst we don't want to burn out Pickford following his World Cup campaign I don't think it'll do him any harm playing on Wednesday and it will be a good chance for him to get a clean sheet under his belt for the first time this season. 

Zouma will more than likely play in the centre, perhaps alongside Holgate if Keane isn'ttt fit and seeing as Jagielka is banned. Digne on the left would be nice too and would give him a chance to show us what he's got. On the right, Jonjoe Kenny maybe?

The middle of the park we can tinker with, happy for Davies to start alongside one of the established two of Gueye and Schneiderlin for consistency. Out wide, maybe some changes with any of Calvert-Lewin, Lookman or Sandro coming in. Dowell in the middle giving Gylfi a rest would be nice to see too, keep him and Bernard fresh for the weekend. 

Up top, I'd keep Cenk. He's worked hard this season so far but needs a goal, against struggling opposition maybe he can get one in the bag and be off the mark?

Pickford

Kenny - Holgate - Zouma - Digne

Davies - Schneiderlin

Sandro - Dowell - Calvert-Lewin

Tosun

Subs: Stekelenburg, Feeney, Gueye, Lookman, Walcott, Niasse

1 hour ago, Zoo 2.0 said:

I wouldn't trust Stekelenburg to run a bath, nevermind keep a clean sheet for us. Whilst we don't want to burn out Pickford following his World Cup campaign I don't think it'll do him any harm playing on Wednesday and it will be a good chance for him to get a clean sheet under his belt for the first time this season. 

Zouma will more than likely play in the centre, perhaps alongside Holgate if Keane isn'tttt fit and seeing as Jagielka is banned. Digne on the left would be nice too and would give him a chance to show us what he's got. On the right, Jonjoe Kenny maybe?

The middle of the park we can tinker with, happy for Davies to start alongside one of the established two of Gueye and Schneiderlin for consistency. Out wide, maybe some changes with any of Calvert-Lewin, Lookman or Sandro coming in. Dowell in the middle giving Gylfi a rest would be nice to see too, keep him and Bernard fresh for the weekend. 

Up top, I'd keep Cenk. He's worked hard this season so far but needs a goal, against struggling opposition maybe he can get one in the bag and be off the mark?

Pickford

Kenny - Holgate - Zouma - Digne

Davies - Schneiderlin

Sandro - Dowell - Calvert-Lewin

Tosun

Subs: Stekelenburg, Feeney, Gueye, Lookman, Walcott, Niasse

I like that, but I’d rather Lookman starts and DCL goes up front. 

Pickford 

Coleman Holgate Zouma Digne

Gana

Walcott Bernard Siggy Lookman

Tosun

Hope we take this game seriously and retain most of the starting 11 from Bournmouth. If Silva isn'tt up to picking Lookman slot Bernard in on the left and Dowell along side Siggy.

The thing about these matches is that you know they will be bang up for it and will try and make it a battle. I would avoid playing any of the sulkier players who will go missing once someone has given them a kick (I am thinking Sandro / Lookman and maybe Walcott in respect of that he isnt exactly a battler. I also wouldn't start Stek in a pub side so if the young lad wont play then it has to be Pickford. I would also be tempted to start both Niasse and DCL up front, maybe Dowell one side to get the ball in the box and Bernard the other. If you still wanted 3 behind the striker all 3 of these could mix and match rotating where they start.

Hopefully we can win the game nice an easy in the first half, get Bernard and Gana off after 60 minutes to give Beni and Lookman a run out. Maybe have one of the young CBs on the bench too so that they can have 15 mins at the end.

Need a chance to give new players a game, as well as squad players, and give some players a rest.

Pickford

Kenny Holgate Zouma Digne

Beni  Davies

Bernard       Dowell      Lookman

Tosun

I think Tosun should start as he needs a goal, Lookman and Bernard our options out wide that need a game and Beni and Dowell are future players for this team. This is a chance for them to push for places.

15 hours ago, pete0 said:

They're favourites for relegation I'd put the kids against them and show them what level they need to be better than. 

But if the kids lose we are out of the easiest cup at the first hurdle. We have depth in the squad and no Europe so we should be going as all out as we can whilst giving minutes to first teamers on the fringes where possible, especially the ones with limited pre-season minutes. If they seal the win early, then bring a kid off the bench.

42 minutes ago, Bailey said:

But if the kids lose we are out of the easiest cup at the first hurdle. We have depth in the squad and no Europe so we should be going as all out as we can whilst giving minutes to first teamers on the fringes where possible, especially the ones with limited pre-season minutes. If they seal the win early, then bring a kid off the bench.

Not the whole eleven but a mix of kids and those who need minutes. 

Pickford/Virginia

Bowler Charsley Baningime Bernard

Dowell

DCL

Lookman on the bench. With a mix of experienced players and kids so if we're struggling the pros can come on or bring the kids on if we're winning. Holgate and Zouma so they're not going on blind together on the weekend. Give Foulds or whoever is rated the best CB amongst the u23s as they'll be on the bench at the weekend and might be called into the fold if either get injured. 

Personally not fussed on the league  Cup rather use it to get players fit and get the youth involved rather than risk first teamers. 

3 minutes ago, pete0 said:

Not the whole eleven but a mix of kids and those who need minutes. 

Pickford/Virginia

Bowler Charsley Baningime Bernard

Dowell

DCL

Lookman on the bench. With a mix of experienced players and kids so if we're struggling the pros can come on or bring the kids on if we're winning. Holgate and Zouma so they're not going on blind together on the weekend. Give Foulds or whoever is rated the best CB amongst the u23s as they'll be on the bench at the weekend and might be called into the fold if either get injured. 

Personally not fussed on the league  Cup rather use it to get players fit and get the youth involved rather than risk first teamers. 

I get yer. Personally I think that would be a big risk in the midfield playing 3 inexperienced kids alongside a guy who has played 20 minutes in this country (give or take UCL games).  At the very least I would like to see a Gana / Davies in the middle to add a bit of experience and nous. We need to give young lads the platform to perform alongside the men especially in a game that we should be looking to win (rather than a dead rubber where we have seen wholesale changes).

1 minute ago, Bailey said:

I get yer. Personally I think that would be a big risk in the midfield playing 3 inexperienced kids alongside a guy who has played 20 minutes in this country (give or take UCL games).  At the very least I would like to see a Gana / Davies in the middle to add a bit of experience and nous. We need to give young lads the platform to perform alongside the men especially in a game that we should be looking to win (rather than a dead rubber where we have seen wholesale changes).

Get where you're coming from and if not for injuries I'd include a cm as well. But given the other two options Davies and Gana I don't think they'd pick up much experience and think it'd be safer with Baningime. 

Coleman aside I'd imagine there's a fair few players that see it as a dead rubber or would underestimate the opposition. Whereas the kids will be hungry to impress. Plus with the size of the squad opportunities for the kids will be slim other than the cups. 

1 hour ago, pete0 said:

Get where you're coming from and if not for injuries I'd include a cm as well. But given the other two options Davies and Gana I don't think they'd pick up much experience and think it'd be safer with Baningime. 

Coleman aside I'd imagine there's a fair few players that see it as a dead rubber or would underestimate the opposition. Whereas the kids will be hungry to impress. Plus with the size of the squad opportunities for the kids will be slim other than the cups. 

Yeh as I typed Gana and Davies I was thinking its a shame we dont have a Barry or McCarthy or even a Rooney in the middle managing them through the game. 

I would personally like to see Davies get another run out because individually he wasnt at his best against Bournemouth and I would like to see him go out there against lesser opposition and show that he can dominate a game in the same style that he and Gana did against Southampton at times. 

A trophy we’ve never won, and an unbeaten run to keep going. we have depth now, let’s use it but not just “play the kids” 

id go 4-1-4-1 and start Lookman, give him a chance to see if he’s really interested or not. If not, yank him off at half time.