IGNORED

Rotherham (Home League Cup) Wednesday August 29th

markjazzbassist

Coleman had a stinker against Bournemouth and he's the type to dig in and put it behind him, Baines doesnt have the legs for 90 minutes let alone two game's in quick succession so Digne should be in and Stek scares the shit out of me 

Tosun needs a goal to get off the mark I think once he hits one he'll start firing so I'd start him with looking at bringing Naisse in if all's going well at halftime, Dowell in for Sigurdsson as he's worked his bollocks off imo the last two games and I think Dowell has enough to fill in and needs minutes under his belt and although I've criticised Davies I can see slight improvements in his game under Silva with his movement and runs he just needs to pass it to one of our players every now and again!!

Bernard in for Richarlison or Lookman, this will be a big indicator of what the lads situation is ATM in my eyes so we'll see how it goes 

I wouldn't make to many changes though as its something we should be looking at winning 

Pickford 

Coleman  Holgate   Zouma Digne

Gana   

Dowell          Davies

Walcott                           Bernard

Tosun

Interesting thread here as the definition of squad depth vs. kids seems to be in question. One vote but this year at least I'd rather start squad depth over kids. To me kids are u23s/u18s making debuts with no football league experience. Davies/beni/kenny/galloway/browning/pennington/charsley aren't kids. Also no way I'd play Lookman at this point. 

Stek

Kenny Holgate Zouma Digne

Davies Dowell Beni 

DCL Niasse Bernard

Hewelt Feeney Pennington Foulds Charsley Sambou Broadhead 

2 minutes ago, Finn balor said:

And I remember announcing the birth of my boy on this website. Where do the years go? I left the site for a bit. I was under tricky trev. Madness 😫

"Tricky trev" joined in December 2005 so it's been a while (can merge the two accounts together if you like, would add 2276 to your post count).

I agree with the combination of youth/new players.

Virginia

Davies Gana

Bernard Siggy Lookman

Tosun

Bring Sandro on if we have a lead around halftime and see if he can prove anything. DCL and/or Niasse should get some minutes, too. Not sure if Bernard is comfortable on the right? But if not, it means Walcott is our only right-sided wide player with the exception of Sandro who doesn’t seem to have a good position anywhere, so I hope he is.

I think it will be important to keep Siggy in the side as we need someone proven at picking passes if anyone in that squad is going to score.

1 minute ago, nyblue23 said:

I agree with the combination of youth/new players.

Virginia

Davies Gana

Bernard Siggy Lookman

Tosun

Bring Sandro on if we have a lead around halftime and see if he can prove anything. DCL and/or Niasse should get some minutes, too. Not sure if Bernard is comfortable on the right? But if not, it means Walcott is our only right-sided wide player with the exception of Sandro who doesn’t seem to have a good position anywhere, so I hope he is.

I think it will be important to keep Siggy in the side as we need someone proven at picking passes if anyone in that squad is going to score.

For me I don't see any reason why a keeper needs resting throughout the season so Pickford should defiantly stay in the net for me...

As far as Lookman is concerned I'd rather him be nowhere near the squad... He has an attitude problem and if he isn'tt sold this window could become the new Mirallas and by that I mean causing unrest in the  dressing room,  Who would I put there in his place? I don't have a clue to be perfectly honest  maybe DCL although i fully understand this is not ideal (Square pegs in round holes)...

Wouldn't mind giving Tosun a rest as the lad has been ran ragged recently and could probably do with it until the weekend...  saying that it would be a good chance to get him his firstt goal of the campaign and Lord knows he needs it to get some folk off his back (Me not being one of them as i believe his all round play is fantastic)...

Other than that I agree with  the rest of your team, sincerely hope Bernard and Digne get a good run out as I'm looking forward to seeing them play and Bernard will probably be in the first team come the weekend with Richarlison out, would be a great game for him to find his feet! 

On 25/08/2018 at 21:58, markjazzbassist said:

The team website doesn't even have this on there!! i had to google their fixture list.  I am hoping Marco is a manager that takes the cups serious, it could give the players/fans/club a much needed boost to win some hardware. 

I’d rather we win some silverware than some building materials or tools! 😉

I say this every year, and I know plenty disagree, but this is a Mickey Mouse cup that counts for precisely nothing. The prize money is pitiful, so financially it's better we focus on finishing one position higher in the league. No top team bothers to field anything other than a second string team, hence it's not unusual to see small teams progress further than they should. Frankly, we shouldn't waste first team players on it but instead use it as training for fringe players.

4 hours ago, Cornish Steve said:

I say this every year, and I know plenty disagree, but this is a Mickey Mouse cup that counts for precisely nothing. The prize money is pitiful, so financially it's better we focus on finishing one position higher in the league. No top team bothers to field anything other than a second string team, hence it's not unusual to see small teams progress further than they should. Frankly, we shouldn't waste first team players on it but instead use it as training for fringe players.

Use the squad according to who you are playing to get the job done.  If we were playing Liverpool I would expect us to field a strong side. We are only playing in 3 competitions.  No excuses. 

We probably earned a pittance for winning the league trophies we have - it's not the cash value it's the honour. 

On 27/08/2018 at 17:22, Romey 1878 said:

Two or three changes, no more imo. Sick of treating this competition like shite when fans still fork out to go and watch it. 

Which is precisely why I’m not going tonight, I say every year I’m going to swerve this competition but then always cave in at the last minute.

Ive finally given up with it now though, if the club can’t be arsed with it why should I ?

15 minutes ago, patto said:

I can't not go the game even when we are shite Everton is my drug I've got to have it. 

I cant watch on telly if we are home. 

I’m not swerving it because we are shite , I stayed loyal even through the early 80’s when we were getting crowds below 20000 I was even at the Wimbledon away when there was less than 4000!

If we were relegated I would still renew my season ticket. 

It just gets on my tits that we never take the competition seriously  so I’ve had enough of seeing us put out a scratch side and getting dumped out by the likes of Norwich and Leeds

If we are just shite I would still be there backing the players as long as they are trying and putting the effort in but I can’t bear to stand there and watch us go through the motions and completely capitulate in any match . I’m a competitive person and I need us to go out and try to win it at all costs,  hence my decision to swerve it