Sign in to follow this  
markjazzbassist

Rotherham (Home League Cup) Wednesday August 29th

1 hour ago, pete0 said:

Ha, I knew I should have put an emoji. 

Just assuming you might drop a couple of points prioritising it. Full team today and you risk not having a full squad to pick from Saturday or them be leggy compared to a fresher opposition (assuming they don't go all out for the cup).

You are assuming only negative points and not considering positives. Winning can breed increased confidence, team cohesion, morale (especially to fringe players and younger lads), form, fitness, experience playing along side different players etc etc.

1 hour ago, MikeO said:

Absolutely; why in the World does Pickford need a break? It's not like he runs miles every game:doh:.

I agree however I am at least glad to see him out of the squad. Players with this level of fitness, at a younger age only need a break between the ears and not to rest their tired legs. If they are on the bench, they still go through the psychological fatigue in case they need to come on.

4 minutes ago, markjazzbassist said:

Sandro and Digne both sounding like they are having a good match so far

Sounds like they are both doing themselves credit tonight.

Good to hear balls being whipped in.

Lucky there. Missed from six yards, sitter.

Missed the first 10 (as my ticket didn't register) but so far we look comfortable. Some nice play and ideas from Dowell and Siggy, Davies controlling the midfield really well bar one brain fart were he let their player waltz past him from the side of the 18 yard box (although I assume he thought Digne or whoever it was gonna win the ball). Sandro and Niasse are each of the same equal amounts of good and bad, get in a good position, takes a bad touch. Takes a good touch, runs into a player. Not much to say on Digne, getting forward well but not really been involved much. 

Zouma looks a bit rusty. He's a unit but much like Keane a bit of a donkey on the ball, can almost see a comic book speach bubble pop out his head when he's on the ball, a lot of concentration looking at the ball (professionals tend not to have to look down so much) and almost awkward execution when kicking the ball. Hopefully it's just rust and a little confidence will sort him out and get him kicking the ball more naturally. 

4 minutes ago, pete0 said:

Missed the first 10 (as my ticket didn't register) but so far we look comfortable. Some nice play and ideas from Dowell and Siggy, Davies controlling the midfield really well bar one brain fart were he let their player waltz past him from the side of the 18 yard box (although I assume he thought Digne or whoever it was gonna win the ball). Sandro and Niasse are each of the same equal amounts of good and bad, get in a good position, takes a bad touch. Takes a good touch, runs into a player. Not much to say on Digne, getting forward well but not really been involved much. 

Zouma looks a bit rusty. He's a unit but much like Keane a bit of a donkey on the ball, can almost see a comic book speach bubble pop out his head when he's on the ball, a lot of concentration looking at the ball (professionals tend not to have to look down so much) and almost awkward execution when kicking the ball. Hopefully it's just rust and a little confidence will sort him out and get him kicking the ball more naturally. 

ha a man of contradictions, radio feed has sandro and digne best players out there.  we all see it different truly.

Talk sport has Kenny as the best player on the pitch. They have also said Sandro is doing very well.

Digne seems to be having a lot of thtime ball without doing much so far. Nice to hear him getting balls in early though, what we could do with.

Another 1 good 1 bad from Sandro. Awful drilled pass to Niasse that he was never gonna be able to control wasting a good attacking opportunity but then whips a lovely cross on Niasse's noggin who Slyvain Distins it high and wide. 

Poor pass from Walcott to the wrong side wide of the player slows the attack. Ball from wide crossed to Dowell on the edge of the box who takes a touch to get it under control and tries a dipping volley over the bar. 

3 minutes ago, pete0 said:

Twice Sandro has lost the ball far too carelessly in the last 5 minutes. Prem teams would punish his sloppiness. 

For balance he's just put a good first time pass to put DCLotTosun through but it was stopped for offside. And they go the other end get a corner and score. 

And then we go the other end and DCL scored a curler from the side of the 18 yard box. Lovely goal. 

Job done that. Making changes for cup games is fine when the players who come in play well and win... Good that Zouma and Digne got game time, great for DCL. Just wonder how many goals we're going to ship from corners before Silva abandons zonal marking? 

22 minutes ago, nogs said:

Job done that. Making changes for cup games is fine when the players who come in play well and win... Good that Zouma and Digne got game time, great for DCL. Just wonder how many goals we're going to ship from corners before Silva abandons zonal marking? 

Really hoping he’s not Martinez stubborn about defending set pieces. I’m sure they actually practice zonal marking at least, but I don’t think our defenders are smart enough to ever get it.

Just got out the game- another goal conceded from a fucking corner. Zouma was good tonight as was Holgate. Echo reporting Gomez out for 3 more weeks at least, Bernard has a new muscle injury, Jagielka has a knee cartlidge injury, Gana has a kknock- fucking hell we’re like the walking wounded. 

Niasse missing that header was a bad joke. Inwas in the Upper Street End right in front of it- it was laughable.. we won with our rezzies though so not all bad.

20 hours ago, Cornish Steve said:

I say this every year, and I know plenty disagree, but this is a Mickey Mouse cup that counts for precisely nothing. The prize money is pitiful, so financially it's better we focus on finishing one position higher in the league. No top team bothers to field anything other than a second string team, hence it's not unusual to see small teams progress further than they should. Frankly, we shouldn't waste first team players on it but instead use it as training for fringe players.

Gigi Buffon would say you have a garbage bin for a heart 😂

Seriously, there are realistically two competitions we can win each year - The League Cup is one of them. I want to win a damn trophy for once and if it means finishing 8th instead of 7th, so friggin be it. The PL is so rigged in favor of the top teams these days, that every team that doesn't anticipate a relegation scrap should be going all out for both cups.

21 minutes ago, Paddock said:

Just got out the game- another goal conceded from a fucking corner. Zouma was good tonight as was Holgate. Echo reporting Gomez out for 3 more weeks at least, Bernard has a new muscle injury, Jagielka has a knee cartlidge injury, Gana has a kknock- fucking hell we’re like the walking wounded. 

Niasse missing that header was a bad joke. Inwas in the Upper Street End right in front of it- it was laughable.. we won with our rezzies though so not all bad.

We are never the fittest team tbf. Always seem to be too many on the treatment bench at Finch Farm.

16 minutes ago, Quinn31 said:

Gigi Buffon would say you have a garbage bin for a heart 😂

Seriously, there are realistically two competitions we can win each year - The League Cup is one of them. I want to win a damn trophy for once and if it means finishing 8th instead of 7th, so friggin be it. The PL is so rigged in favor of the top teams these days, that every team that doesn't anticipate a relegation scrap should be going all out for both cups.

completely agree i'd rather finish 10th and win the league or FA cup than just finish 7th.

38 minutes ago, markjazzbassist said:

completely agree i'd rather finish 10th and win the league or FA cup than just finish 7th.

A decent win tonight, and I'm pleased we used mostly second-string players.

Look at this strategically. What, as a team, do we really want to do? What's our goal? What's our vision? What target are we shooting at? When will we know we've reached it? The answers to these questions should determine everything we do. Winning the pointless League Cup won't achieve anything except maybe a temporary glow until we realize it was barely worth the effort and serious teams are simply smirking.

The goal is to become a top four team and remain a top four team. Within that goal, we should aim to be number one and stay number one. This is a real goal, and it's achievable if we focus on it - and on it alone. With that in mind, the League Cup is a good way to learn whether second-string players are progressing, but that's about it. If it makes us tired for an upcoming weekend game, that's a negative. If it means we lose focus on the league, it's a bad thing. Focus, focus, focus. This is why finishing 6th instead of 7th is good, because we're getting closer to our goal. Finishing 10th and winning the League Cup means we're further from our goal and vision.

17 minutes ago, Romey 1878 said:

Bit slow in our play but that’s to be expected when you’re putting out a team with so many changes. Apart from our defending at set-pieces it was a very professional performance. 

Roll on the next round. 

I know it’s early and I know I’m being picky but our defending at set pieces has me terrified already- it needs to change because we will leak a lot of goals otherwise.

50 minutes ago, Paddock said:

I know it’s early and I know I’m being picky but our defending at set pieces has me terrified already- it needs to change because we will leak a lot of goals otherwise.

This is Martinez 2.0. Three years ago, many were calling for a defensive coach to focus on shoring up the defence. Would you go so far as to suggest that already with Silva?

36 minutes ago, Cornish Steve said:

This is Martinez 2.0. Three years ago, many were calling for a defensive coach to focus on shoring up the defence. Would you go so far as to suggest that already with Silva?

No. Just stop zonal marking. We can defend well from open-play, unlike under that charlatan. 

Quite fitting Davies captained last night. 

From the OS, 

Everton’s attendance for Wednesday night’s Carabao Cup tie with Rotherham United is the Club's highest in this stage of the competition for 50 years.

The 31,972 crowd at the Grand Old Lady is the biggest seen at a League Cup round two fixture on home soil since 1968.

That clash in the September of that year, watched by an attendance of 35,477, saw the Blues beat neighbours Tranmere Rovers 4-0, with the great Alan Ball on target alongside fellow Everton Giant Joe Royle.

Alan Whittle – the uncle of Tom Davies, captain for the night against Rotherham – rounded off the scoring with a brace.

58 minutes ago, pete0 said:

From the OS, 

Everton’s attendance for Wednesday night’s Carabao Cup tie with Rotherham United is the Club's highest in this stage of the competition for 50 years.

The 31,972 crowd at the Grand Old Lady is the biggest seen at a League Cup round two fixture on home soil since 1968.

That clash in the September of that year, watched by an attendance of 35,477, saw the Blues beat neighbours Tranmere Rovers 4-0, with the great Alan Ball on target alongside fellow Everton Giant Joe Royle.

Alan Whittle – the uncle of Tom Davies, captain for the night against Rotherham – rounded off the scoring with a brace.

flying round twitter that it was actually higher than that! the number was dropped so we don't have to share as much money with Rotherham! Not sure I believe that though.

27 minutes ago, aaron said:

flying round twitter that it was actually higher than that! the number was dropped so we don't have to share as much money with Rotherham! Not sure I believe that though.

At £15 a ticket I'd be surprised if that was the reason. But I wouldn't be surprised if the attendance was higher. Few ticketing issues with the mobile app apparently plus loads still at the box office buying on the day at kick off. 

11 hours ago, Cornish Steve said:

Look at this strategically. What, as a team, do we really want to do? What's our goal? What's our vision? What target are we shooting at? When will we know we've reached it? The answers to these questions should determine everything we do. Winning the pointless League Cup won't achieve anything except maybe a temporary glow until we realize it was barely worth the effort and serious teams are simply smirking.

The goal is to become a top four team and remain a top four team. Within that goal, we should aim to be number one and stay number one. This is a real goal, and it's achievable if we focus on it - and on it alone. With that in mind, the League Cup is a good way to learn whether second-string players are progressing, but that's about it. If it makes us tired for an upcoming weekend game, that's a negative. If it means we lose focus on the league, it's a bad thing. Focus, focus, focus. This is why finishing 6th instead of 7th is good, because we're getting closer to our goal. Finishing 10th and winning the League Cup means we're further from our goal and vision.

Steve you do realise the last 5 winners of the League Cup have been Man City (x3), Man Utd and Chelsea, don't you? Big teams aim to win everything. 

1 minute ago, nogs said:

Steve you do realise the last 5 winners of the League Cup have been Man City (x3), Man Utd and Chelsea, don't you? Big teams aim to win everything. 

They also have the squad size in order to do so

11 hours ago, Cornish Steve said:

Where does the notion that winning a trophy, something we’ve not managed for 23 years, is pointless come from?

I think you need to wake up and smell the coffee , we are not going to finish in the top 4 this season, but why would winning the league Cup detract from our league performances?

This competition is our most realistic hope of ending the drought and whether you like it or not the facts are it is a worthwhile achievement

We need the players to build a winning mentality, it breads confidence ,and boosts morale ,that we can take into the league performances 

Again whether you like it or not European football is a must if you want the club to grow and to attract the best players, this competition gives us that

3 hours ago, pete0 said:

From the OS, 

Not bad for a Mickey Mouse competition let’s try and win the thing I for one would love a day out at Wembley. 

I acknowledged at the outset that plenty disagree with me, and I'm not trying to convince anyone; instead, I'm explaining my reasoning. To succeed, whether as individuals, companies, or teams, we must have a clear vision, a clear strategy, and ensure all we do is consistent with that strategy. What people often overlook is that it's important to decide what not to do as much as what to do. If something distracts from the goal, then avoid it.

Rotherham has had a rotten season so far, but I have to say their manager is focused. Here are his words after the game, explaining why he rested some of his team instead of playing them: "I don't regard making all those changes as weakening the team. It isn'tt like I've been offensive to the cup, I've got another big game Saturday." Let me repeat his reasoning: he has a big game on Saturday. He understands priorities, has a strategy, and is doing what's needed to achieve his principal goal. Let's see whether Rotherham's standing in the league improves as a result.

44 minutes ago, duncanmckenzieismagic said:

Where does the notion that winning a trophy, something we’ve not managed for 23 years, is pointless come from?

I think you need to wake up and smell the coffee , we are not going to finish in the top 4 this season, but why would winning the league Cup detract from our league performances?

This competition is our most realistic hope of ending the drought and whether you like it or not the facts are it is a worthwhile achievement

We need the players to build a winning mentality, it breads confidence ,and boosts morale ,that we can take into the league performances 

Again whether you like it or not European football is a must if you want the club to grow and to attract the best players, this competition gives us that

Totally agree win the league cup and finish 6th what a positive start for Silva and the squad that would be in the 1st season, I’d even go in fancy dress as Mickey Mouse if I thought it would get us there, after tasting nothing for the last 22 years the league cup would be massive step in the right direction. 

1 hour ago, Cornish Steve said:

I acknowledged at the outset that plenty disagree with me, and I'm not trying to convince anyone; instead, I'm explaining my reasoning. To succeed, whether as individuals, companies, or teams, we must have a clear vision, a clear strategy, and ensure all we do is consistent with that strategy. What people often overlook is that it's important to decide what not to do as much as what to do. If something distracts from the goal, then avoid it.

Rotherham has had a rotten season so far, but I have to say their manager is focused. Here are his words after the game, explaining why he rested some of his team instead of playing them: "I don't regard making all those changes as weakening the team. It isn'ttt like I've been offensive to the cup, I've got another big game Saturday." Let me repeat his reasoning: he has a big game on Saturday. He understands priorities, has a strategy, and is doing what's needed to achieve his principal goal. Let's see whether Rotherham's standing in the league improves as a result.

It’s about winning trophies- that’s what the fans want, that’s what the club needs. It’s essential we start winning silver ware again, until we do the club will sit in mediocrity. Yes the too 4 is the ultimate goal but to get there winning a cup along the way is what makes the board, coaching team, playing staff and fans believe in the project.