IGNORED

Going to Goodison

shaunliam

Hi all, new to the forum and would love some help/insight.  I live in the states and my wife just surprised me for my 40th with a trip to England in April to see the Toffees vs. Man U.  We are official members so we will have access to purchasing tickets early, but it is Man U, should we get them now on Stub Hub or will we be able to get good seats when the member sale begins?  This could be my only trip over there ever so I want a great seat.  I've read a bunch of opinions on where to sit but if anyone has a comment on that I'd appreciate it.  Stubhub right now has 1st row Paddock I was thinking about, but nothing on Park End which is where I originally wanted to sit.  Any help for this Goodison first timer would be greatly appreciated.  Go Toffees!

Depends what you're after. Atmosphere wise the Gladys Street (be wary of getting a ticket at the back of the stand as when everyone stands up the roof will block your vision of the pitch) or Bullens Road as you might get a bit of patter with the away fans, views either Park end if you prefer to be behind the goal or top balcony (if you're not scared of heights) at the side of the pitch. 

Stubhub is probs best for a ticket as the only tickets available on the official site will be obstructive views. 

Thanks everyone, I was hoping to wait till member sale to save money and have a better selection than what’s on stubhub now, but I guess it’d be piece of mind to just get them soon.  Finn, this is my 5th season now.  After the 2014 WC I said I wanted to get into it more, PL was being shown more on tv in the states and I had several buddies that had clubs they rooted for.  I researched for a few days and chose Everton, blue is my favorite color, I love toffee, I liked their rich history, and Tim Howard was the keeper at the time.  Now i rarely miss a match and have my little kids into it as well.  They’re a frustrating club at times but I love it, and as a Philadelphia sports fan I’m used to frustration.  

That’s a great story. I hope u get our humour and pessimistic stance on here. Philly I reckon is a similar city with similar philosophy from my limited knowledge. ( mainly from films) anyway welcome to the forum. Makes me happy thinking of potential little evertonians in America. My friend runs a supporters club so has access to tickets. Obviously united game is a big one but if your struggling to get tickets post it on here and I’m more than happy giving you my email address to hopefully get you tickets for a more affordable price. Take care pal 

23 hours ago, Finn balor said:

That’s a great story. I hope u get our humour and pessimistic stance on here. Philly I reckon is a similar city with similar philosophy from my limited knowledge. ( mainly from films) anyway welcome to the forum. Makes me happy thinking of potential little evertonians in America. My friend runs a supporters club so has access to tickets. Obviously united game is a big one but if your struggling to get tickets post it on here and I’m more than happy giving you my email address to hopefully get you tickets for a more affordable price. Take care pal 

Well said Finn, I'd also suggest that a season ticket holder who can't make it would be able put them on stub hub at a fair price and let Shaunliam know when they are posted so he can buy them. FWIW Ive had to sell mine and wiggy juniors tickets for  Southampton and Huddersfield games as we were away, put them at club face value, wasn't interested in making a mark up, wanted some else to be able to get to the game.

4 hours ago, Wiggytop said:

Well said Finn, I'd also suggest that a season ticket holder who can't make it would be able put them on stub hub at a fair price and let Shaunliam know when they are posted so he can buy them. FWIW Ive had to sell mine and wiggy juniors tickets for  Southampton and Huddersfield games as we were away, put them at club face value, wasn't interested in making a mark up, wanted some else to be able to get to the game.

I wish there were more like you! 

Enjoy your time at the grand old lady and welcome to TT.

I'm sure you'll find a ticket on Stubhub if you cant get one from the club. Might be worth while getting in touch with the club and saying you are a official member, you are travelling all the way from the US and A and don't want to miss the match for your 40th, they might hold a ticket for you.

2 hours ago, aaron said:

Might be worth while getting in touch with the club and saying you are a official member, you are travelling all the way from the US and A and don't want to miss the match for your 40th, they might hold a ticket for you.

Good thought that.

Thanks again everyone, I like the idea of reaching out to the club, I'm going to try that.  Had 2 for first row Paddock 4 I tried to buy but Stub Hub cancelled my order over night thinking my account was hacked.  Probably for the better because the prices and fees were very inflated, and then  I saw how much I was going to be charged American, was not thinking about the conversion rates!

• 3 weeks later...

Update:  I ended up getting tickets off StubHub, 1st row Paddock!  Got an Air B&B right across the street from Goodison too!  Now, any suggestions on places to see, eat, and  things to do will be appreciated.  Definitely doing a Beatles tour of some sort.  Looking to hang out in Liverpool for 3 days or so before heading out to check out other parts of the UK.  Thanks everyone!  

There's loads of pubs on county road near the ground to soak up the atmosphere. After the match I'd recommend going into town on Dale Street starting at the Ship and Mitre for the real ales and work your way up from there to Lady of Mann (bar) which has a little courtyard. Or if you get the train get off at Moorfields and there is a cracking little traditional pub on the corner Lion Tavern. 

In the night depending on your age there is concert Square for the youngsters, Albert dock for mid 20s upwards and then there's Mathew st for a mix of the young and older generations. Oh and there's the baltic triangle which is our hipster area if you fancy some haloumi fries 😋 in the old Cains brewery. Food wise bold street (near Central Station and has concert Square off it) has a good few options and a cool hangout place called Leaf and a bit further up by the bombed out church there is a cheap and cheerful place called Big Bowl which is really good value but more of a cafe than a restaurant or should I say dive. Restaurant wise heard Smugglers Cove is meant to be one of the best. For steak there's Bar and Grill which has a fancy cocktail bar opposite The Alchemist. 

Any how they're just off the top of my head, I'm sure you'll stumble across many more and have a good time. 

All good shouts there Pete. The ferry is dear as fuck these days but u have to do it if your here. Liverpool one and the Albert dock is a good afternoon, revs de Cuba is a Tapas bar on the Albert dock which serves nice food.  Try and do the Goodison tour if you can while it’s still here. The Liverpool empire puts on decent shows if your partner/wife likes them. I think she deserves a treat as seen as she has got you such a great 40th present. 

If you fancy jumping the train head over to the Wirral. New Brighton is nice for a walk around. Pubs and bars and there is a fair. perch rock fort is worth a look but a bit run down. Otherwise port sunlight has a gallery and museum and is nice for a walk around. You can google all these. You can get to all these by bus/ train quite easily. Chester is lovely aswell, very historic due to one of the places the Romans first landed 

On 20/09/2018 at 09:41, pete0 said:

There's loads of pubs on county road near the ground to soak up the atmosphere. After the match I'd recommend going into town on Dale Street starting at the Ship and Mitre for the real ales and work your way up from there to Lady of Mann (bar) which has a little courtyard. Or if you get the train get off at Moorfields and there is a cracking little traditional pub on the corner Lion Tavern. 

In the night depending on your age there is concert Square for the youngsters, Albert dock for mid 20s upwards and then there's Mathew st for a mix of the young and older generations. Oh and there's the baltic triangle which is our hipster area if you fancy some haloumi fries 😋 in the old Cains brewery. Food wise bold street (near Central Station and has concert Square off it) has a good few options and a cool hangout place called Leaf and a bit further up by the bombed out church there is a cheap and cheerful place called Big Bowl which is really good value but more of a cafe than a restaurant or should I say dive. Restaurant wise heard Smugglers Cove is meant to be one of the best. For steak there's Bar and Grill which has a fancy cocktail bar opposite The Alchemist. 

Any how they're just off the top of my head, I'm sure you'll stumble across many more and have a good time. 

Pete you sound like you know how to drink your way round Liverpool top man 🍺😃

• 3 months later...

As I mentioned above I am making it over for the wolves game. First time at GP! Got my stadium tour tickets.  Wrote down some of Pete's pub suggestions.  Anything else I should check out while I am there?

How early do fans start making their way to the game? What's the best spot for a drink before the game? The Winslow? Assume the best way to get there is to walk from the Kirkdale stop down Westminster Rd?

not been for a while myself although I do visit the area quite a lot,  pub I used to use before a match was the Black horse on County road afterwards I may have used the TAXI club.  you could walk from Kirkdale or you can get a bit closer,  it depends on how you feel at the time  not sure I can advise what time you want to be there though  when I was an ever present I used to get there about 2 hours before the kick off.  I do not think you need to be that early any more though

39 minutes ago, rubecula said:

not been for a while myself although I do visit the area quite a lot,  pub I used to use before a match was the Black horse on County road afterwards I may have used the TAXI club.  you could walk from Kirkdale or you can get a bit closer,  it depends on how you feel at the time  not sure I can advise what time you want to be there though  when I was an ever present I used to get there about 2 hours before the kick off.  I do not think you need to be that early any more though

We are staying in Liverpool City Centre so figured we would need to take the Merseyrail? Would there be a better way to travel? (won't have our own vehicle)  Maybe the bus would get us closer?

You can get the match day special bus 919 it departs and returns to St Johns Lane, you can get a return ticket, and pay by contactless card easily. I alternate between the train to Kirkdale ( Saturday games) or use the 919 for Sunday and evening games asthe trains aren't as frequent. I prefer the experience of the bus as it drops you off on Walton Lane, and as you get off Goodison looks magnificent. I go to the game with my 14 yr old son, we normally arrive about an hour before kick off, go to the fan zone at the Park End, and go up to our seats about 30mins before as he likes to see the players warming up. Whatever you do, you'll have a great time, and hopefully a good win!