IGNORED

Who’s our best player?

jofanon

Richarlison

Baines

pickford

Richarlison can get even better. The lad has so much potential.

Baines, tiring now, but his class is there for all to see. Still one of our best players at keeping it simple and keeping the ball... never panickes.

Pickford. I haven’t been this confident with our minder since Nev.

Hard to say as some have played in such disjointed systems and times 

Ability wise 

Sigurdsson - On his day there's not that many better in this league 

Richarlison - Potentially a world beater 

Walcott - The lad has proven over the years that he's a top level player and has done the same since being here 

Pickford - If he stops palming the ball around in his own area like he's playing beach ball and irons out a few minor bad habits the lad will be world class 

On 25/02/2014 at 08:44, Romey 1878 said:

http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/mccarthys-growing-belief-at-everton-a-huge-boost-for-irish-oneill-30038153.html

I hadn't been impressed with him for a few weeks but he was incredible against Chelsea.

On 23/05/2014 at 10:00, Kant said:

I really hope McCarthy doesn't leave. He's vital to the team, he's only 23, and his workrate is exceptional. He's a great fit for the current 4-2-3-1 system.

I can understand why top teams would want him (I rate him over Arteta and Flamini, or anyone in Utd, for me he's one of the top DM already), but if Fellaini was sold for £28m, how much would be McCarthy worth? £45m?

On 30/05/2014 at 09:48, c1982 said:

There's McCarthy's worth there. I personally thinks he's brilliant. He reminds me of my all time favourite blue Joe Parkinson. In my opinion McCarthy is our most important player and the hardest to replace in our team.

On 30/05/2014 at 15:51, duncanmckenzieismagic said:

I've said it before but I will say it again, I think he is like Peter Reid with legs...... And I loved Reidy

On 24/08/2014 at 23:43, Cornish Steve said:

How on earth can you conclude that? McCarthy right now is perhaps the most important person on the team. He's the engine that drives the team, undoubtedly the team's future captain. I'm convinced that Martinez would have turned down even a 50m bid from United. Besic, on the other hand, is an unknown, purchased for a comparatively small sum. It looks like he has a lot of potential, and it will be great when he strikes up a partnership with McCarthy, but he has a ways to go to get there. He's yet to play a competitive game for Everton, so it's simply impossible to know where he stands at this point.

On 21/09/2014 at 09:57, hafnia said:

He's the man Liverpool need, gerrards legs have gone. Tough, Hes ours.

On 29/01/2015 at 07:49, Matt said:

I've tried to stay out of, but just wanted to echo what Dunc said (somewhere)...

Whether you think he is integral or not, or the best player or not, is irrelevant We are a much better team with him than without him and are in dire need of the stability he provides in the middle.

On 06/06/2015 at 19:30, EvertonianFL said:

McCarthy is one of our most important players (if not the most important). According to my math...he appeared in 37 games for us this season (111 total points possible. 57 points recorded). He was absent for 14 games due to injury (42 total points possible. 12 points recorded). Obviously, there are many other factors that influence our results, but clearly we are a better team with McCarthy on the pitch (dropped 48.6% of possible points with him on the pitch vs. 71.4% points dropped of possible points with him off the pitch).

He deserves whatever he's asking for...clearly a natural born leader who will one day captain the side should he stay here long enough. Excited to see him and TC partnered together in the midfield. Dear God, just anyone but f'ing Gareth Barry

On 10/06/2015 at 22:00, c1982 said:

From the article... Because if the past two seasons have proven anything, it is that Everton are a far better team when James McCarthy is playing.

It's plainly obvious for anyone who knows the game - he's a massive part of what's good about us. He's not going to win matches all by himself but he is vital to our success. See Carsley when we got 4th. See Makele and Matic in those Chelsea teams. See Gilberto Silva in that Arsenal team. None have been THE stand-out player but ask those who know and I'd image they'd speak highly of each.

In my opinion, McCarthy and Stones are our 2 most important players.

2 hours ago, nyblue23 said:

🤯 I love McCarthy as much as the next guy for his comittment and work rate, but our best player?

@nyblue23@nyblue23

Apologies for all the notifications nyblue23, tried to delete the quote above and just tag you but my phone won't delete the comment and I've managed to tag you twice. 

I think with him being out for so long it's easy to forget how good he is as what he excels isn'tt gonna stick to memory as he's not making assists or goals. That said he's one of the most important  if not most important 'cogs' in the team.

Be interesting if everyone that was highlighted still feels the same way, on his day he is emence just not enough days for me. 

For me you need close to a season to show weather you are consistent enough to prove you are one of our better players. 

Coleman

Pickford 

Gylfi or Schneiderlin who may prove to be contentious with some, but that’s football. 

3 hours ago, pete0 said:

@nyblue23@nyblue23

Apologies for all the notifications nyblue23, tried to delete the quote above and just tag you but my phone won't delete the comment and I've managed to tag you twice. 

I think with him being out for so long it's easy to forget how good he is as what he excels isn'ttt gonna stick to memory as he's not making assists or goals. That said he's one of the most important  if not most important 'cogs' in the team.

All good on the notifications... seemed to only get one. I guess my perception of “best player” has more to do with talent and ability than importance to our team. Being the club that we are, sometimes a bit soft and always having to fight for points against the top 6, I can see a case being made for a healthy McCarthy being our most important player and that we miss his presence more than we might miss any other player in our current squad.

That said, he hasn’t put together a healthy season where he played more than 28 games since his first season here, and on ability alone, I don’t think he cracks the top 5. It’s the work rate and attitude that propel him into the conversation for importance, but I still don’t see how he can be considered the best we have.

5 minutes ago, Romey 1878 said:

Not sure about attitude but he was embarrassing against Arsenal. He made Lukaku look like he has a world class first touch. 

Seen a few glimpses last year of a player who "didn't fancy it"... wouldn't stretch for a ball, hid behind the full back.... a few frustrated gestures. Nah.... I thought.  You ain't here for a retirement package mate. 

Seen it more often in last couple of games... especially last week. 

3 hours ago, Romey 1878 said:

Not sure about attitude but he was embarrassing against Arsenal. He made Lukaku look like he has a world class first touch. 

Thought he was trying too hard against Arsenal so struggled to play his natural game, similar to how Rooney always struggled against us. 

No idea where the attitude moans come from. He makes more sprints than most, constantly moving and tracks back. Arsenal hand he was poor but not through lack of trying, just nothing come off for him that day or fell in his favour. Only issue this season is he's missed a few sitters. 

5 hours ago, pete0 said:

Thought he was trying too hard against Arsenal so struggled to play his natural game, similar to how Rooney always struggled against us....

Arsenal hand he was poor but not through lack of trying, just nothing come off for him that day or fell in his favour. Only issue this season is he's missed a few sitters. 

I think you just answered your own question. If Walcott is our best player, we’re in a worse situation than I thought. 

IMO, Pickford is much better. So is Richarlison.

On 27/09/2018 at 20:23, MikeO said:

I just think it's a daft question (sorry @jofanon). How do you compare Pickford to Richarlison for example? Apples v oranges.

Does that make Ballon d'Or daft then?

IMO its quite easy to assess relative strengths.  If Messi was in the side, would it be too difficult to say he's better than Pickford?