Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
markjazzbassist

Southampton (Carabao Cup Home) Tuesday October 2nd

Recommended Posts

Wrong line up. Should have kept last weekend's squad the same. The players want to gain momentum and chemistry as much as every one else and not allowing them to do that and being knocked out of the cup on pens gives us that little mental niggle of uncertainty.

He could have been just at the very least adjusted the team slightly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Too many changes to the team cost us tonight, all the good team work that’s started to show was taken apart, Gana and Davies, Kenny and Walcott, and a totally new pairing on the left. Should have started off with pretty much he sane team, got ahead by a couple and then rested.

only good from tonight was seeing Bernard do full 90 mins, and that he needs to play centrally not on the wing.

onwards and upwards at the weekend.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Wiggytop said:

Too many changes to the team cost us tonight, all the good team work that’s started to show was taken apart, Gana and Davies, Kenny and Walcott, and a totally new pairing on the left. Should have started off with pretty much he sane team, got ahead by a couple and then rested.

only good from tonight was seeing Bernard do full 90 mins, and that he needs to play centrally not on the wing.

onwards and upwards at the weekend.

Sounded like he caused real problems out wide first half though 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

All on the manager for me. What the fuck are we playing at? I’m away in Spain just got the result. Do we want to win anything? Piss poor. As a club what are we doing? Making seven changes? I like silva but I’ve no idea what he thinks he was doing tonight. Small mentality, watch Leicester make the semis. Imagine what that could have done to our club? I’m fucking totally pissed off tonight. Fuck silva fuck the changes, play your best fucking team you can and then bring on the subs. Fucking disgusted. Silva needs to sort that clever shit out, resting fucking players. Get a fucking grip 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tinkering to that extent with the team takes me back to Koeman's reign, still remember the start of his 1st season we had won 4 and drawn 1 in our first 5 games, then he completely changes a winning team for the league cup against Norwich we get knocked out and everything goes down hill from there, let's hope Silva isn'tt going down the same road.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I must be on my own to think that was a strong side and not too much change. I agreed with the decision to change Richarlison and Walcott for Bernard and Lookman. Goalie was always going to be Stek and then Baines in for Digne meant 3 of the back 4 were same as Saturday. I think Tosun is better than DCL so I don’t get all the blame the manager is getting. Both Richarlison and Gana both got knocks at the weekend and were seen for some time by the physios on the pitch so I think resting them was right 3 days later. We lost by two poor pens by players who didn’t start and played Saturday! Lastly, for years this would had gone to extra time (but unluckily this wasn’t the case this year as I think there would have been only one winner. For me this one wasn’t on Silva. 

Hindsight is an amazing thing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, barryj said:

I must be on my own to think that was a strong side and not too much change. I agreed with the decision to change Richarlison and Walcott for Bernard and Lookman. Goalie was always going to be Stek and then Baines in for Digne meant 3 of the back 4 were same as Saturday. I think Tosun is better than DCL so I don’t get all the blame the manager is getting. Both Richarlison and Gana both got knocks at the weekend and were seen for some time by the physios on the pitch so I think resting them was right 3 days later. We lost by two poor pens by players who didn’t start and played Saturday! Lastly, for years this would had gone to extra time (but unluckily this wasn’t the case this year as I think there would have been only one winner. For me this one wasn’t on Silva. 

Hindsight is an amazing thing.

Hindsight is only hindsight when you’ve lost. Play your fucking best team. You’ve just give Pickford a new contract and then rested him!!! Stek is fucking shite!!! Bobby mimms mark 2. That’s just one position. Bad bad desicions today. I’ve stated I’d be happy with progression if we went for it in the cups. Silva has a lot to learn about our club. Fuming 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Agree with most that's been said so no need to up vote the relevant 8-10 posts. Angry that Silva meddled with a winning team. They've got to have the chance to gel in more than one game and if we'd put this to bed in the first half he could then have given the subs an airing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Listened to the first half and then missed the second.  Just watched highlights.  Absolutely raging over here that we don’t take this competition seriously.  We should have and could have rolled them.  Have a nice draw at the next round too.  Why oh why?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Finn balor said:

Hindsight is only hindsight when you’ve lost. Play your fucking best team. You’ve just give Pickford a new contract and then rested him!!! Stek is fucking shite!!! Bobby mimms mark 2. That’s just one position. Bad bad desicions today. I’ve stated I’d be happy with progression if we went for it in the cups. Silva has a lot to learn about our club. Fuming 

Don’t think Stek did anything wrong, he actually made a very good save to keep us in it, and saved a penalty.

The tea problem was Gana, he was nowhere to be seen for there first goal, and didn’t score a penalty!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm not going to sit here and complain about the starting line-up because when it was announced apart from Baines, and maybe Dowell, I was ok with the side he'd put out.

That amount of changes isn'tt what I'd have done (or many on here would have) but there was enough out there to get the job done.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Romey 1878 said:

I'm not going to sit here and complain about the starting line-up because when it was announced apart from Baines, and maybe Dowell, I was ok with the side he'd put out.

That amount of changes isn'ttt what I'd have done (or many on here would have) but there was enough out there to get the job done.

How many times have we said this we have 4 days off now and then 2 weeks off no need for the changes whatsoever it's not like we will go down to Leicester and thump them is it stek is awful he's on his knees watching the ball go past him he only needs to dive on it it wasn't even a hard shot. 

I like Silva but he deserves all the flack he gets for this 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Shukes said:

Don’t think Stek did anything wrong, he actually made a very good save to keep us in it, and saved a penalty.

The tea problem was Gana, he was nowhere to be seen for there first goal, and didn’t score a penalty!

Gana was on the bench? edit i see what you did there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Romey 1878 said:

I'm not going to sit here and complain about the starting line-up because when it was announced apart from Baines, and maybe Dowell, I was ok with the side he'd put out.

That amount of changes isn'ttt what I'd have done (or many on here would have) but there was enough out there to get the job done.

You can’t make 7 changes and not expect to disrupt the rhythm of the team, especially a team that is still trying to bed in and adapt to a new managers tactics

There was absolutely no requirement to rest players given it’s so early in the season and we have another international break coming up

We just blatantly treated the competition with contempt and got what we deserved

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sorry don't buy all this 'we've thrown it away' with the team selection. EVERY club makes changes early on in the League Cup, including the teams that win it regularly. Bar Dowell and maybe Lookman, that's a side that could easily have started a Prem game. It's all about squads these days, you have to be able to rotate and and keep fringe players match fit. We lost on penalties, and what cost us in the end was the same as the West Ham and Arsenal matches, not good enough in the final third and mistakes at the back. Really don't get all the anger at the team, it's not like he put out an U23 side. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, nogs said:

Sorry don't buy all this 'we've thrown it away' with the team selection. EVERY club makes changes early on in the League Cup, including the teams that win it regularly. Bar Dowell and maybe Lookman, that's a side that could easily have started a Prem game. It's all about squads these days, you have to be able to rotate and and keep fringe players match fit. We lost on penalties, and what cost us in the end was the same as the West Ham and Arsenal matches, not good enough in the final third and mistakes at the back. Really don't get all the anger at the team, it's not like he put out an U23 side. 

I agree with nogs.  I’d be open to counter-arguments on any of the several specific points raised here.

For me, the only somewhat persuasive counter-argument doesn’t address these specific points, but, instead, more generally says we needed to maintain (as Matt especially said) “cohesion and momentum.”  Because we’re still early in the season and have another international break coming up, all the Fulham starters could, yes, have played major minutes again against Southampton and now Leicester.

But that plausible view doesn’t negate nogs’s points about the team Silva actually put on the pitch.  And especially does that counter-view not negate nogs’s reminder that we have a collection of attackers who, so far, don’t finish, and a group of defenders who regularly make elementary mistakes.

We have some promising players.  But right now, we’re mediocre, capable of a good half now and then.  But also capable of maddening incompetence against opponents even more mediocre than we are.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Shukes said:

Don’t think Stek did anything wrong, he actually made a very good save to keep us in it, and saved a penalty.

The tea problem was Gana, he was nowhere to be seen for there first goal, and didn’t score a penalty!

Bet you still gave motm 😜

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, nogs said:

Sorry don't buy all this 'we've thrown it away' with the team selection. EVERY club makes changes early on in the League Cup, including the teams that win it regularly. Bar Dowell and maybe Lookman, that's a side that could easily have started a Prem game. It's all about squads these days, you have to be able to rotate and and keep fringe players match fit. We lost on penalties, and what cost us in the end was the same as the West Ham and Arsenal matches, not good enough in the final third and mistakes at the back. Really don't get all the anger at the team, it's not like he put out an U23 side. 

It’s really not that difficult to understand , we haven’t won a trophy for over 20 years, this is the most realistic chance of winning one but the manager didn’t want to know

The fact other teams don’t take it seriously either is all the more reason that we should have a go at winning it

If you are happy to never see us win a trophy then I understand the apathy if not the sentiment 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, pete0 said:

Absolutely shocking penalty, all of ours were shite to be honest. 

The first thing they teach you as a kid is to keep your head over the ball or you will Sky it and he looked like he was trying to find a  way to hide under the ball!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, duncanmckenzieismagic said:

It’s really not that difficult to understand , we haven’t won a trophy for over 20 years, this is the most realistic chance of winning one but the manager didn’t want to know

The fact other teams don’t take it seriously either is all the more reason that we should have a go at winning it

If you are happy to never see us win a trophy then I understand the apathy if not the sentiment 

i'm with you all the way dunc.  this is winnable and even our draw for the next round (leicester) was as well!  not like we got City away!  i'm still mad about this, i want a Cup win over europa 7th place all day every day.  Proper silverware and confidence boost and back to winning ways.  7th is not that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, duncanmckenzieismagic said:

It’s really not that difficult to understand , we haven’t won a trophy for over 20 years, this is the most realistic chance of winning one but the manager didn’t want to know

The fact other teams don’t take it seriously either is all the more reason that we should have a go at winning it

If you are happy to never see us win a trophy then I understand the apathy if not the sentiment 

Behave. The flaw in your argument is that there is absolutely nothing to say the result would have been any different if we'd started the same team as Saturday. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, nogs said:

Behave. The flaw in your argument is that there is absolutely nothing to say the result would have been any different if we'd started the same team as Saturday. 

Sorry you have completely lost me now, how is that a flaw in my argument?

im pissed off that we didn’t go all out to TRY and win it

If we had fielded our best XI and lost nobody could accuse him of not taking the competition seriously

If you give it everything you’ve got and try your best but still come up short I have no issue with that

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’ve just got back off my hols and I know I was irate last night. On reflection I’m still fucking pissed off about the whole thing. Do Liverpool make seven changes in the champions league? No they don’t. Why? Because they want to get as far as they can in the competition. What’s the difference? For me nothing. We continue to act like a second rate outfit. We do it every fucking year and I’m sick of it. I want my son to see us win something, to have a trip to Wembley. Fucking sitting there happy with being 7th? What the fuck is that about? I like silva but he has fucked up majorly here 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, nogs said:

Behave. The flaw in your argument is that there is absolutely nothing to say the result would have been any different if we'd started the same team as Saturday. 

No obviously not, but if you put your “first” team out and get beat you can say it was a poor performance, unlucky etc etc. We are mid table and thought we can just make that many changes and win or were we not arsed?  I’m so sick of getting knocked out of this comp year after year. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The daft thing is that we have one more game before an international break and, as many have said, we are a mid table team with many of our players getting a rest anyway.

Pickford will likely play for England, Gylfi for Iceland, Richarlison for Brazil, Gueye is another international regular. Beyond that there aren't many more I can think of, so why rest so many?

Walcott could have easily started this game AND the Leicester game, then had a rest. Morgan and Digne have lost their places in the French side. We could have put a much stronger team out from the start and brought players off early if needed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, plaidharper said:

He has been watching those Neymar/Fred Flintsone stutter step penalties.

Wish players would just get over that.

yeah my favorite was zouma's, he ran as fast as he could and hit it as hard as he could.  it was a foot left of the keeper and the keeper even went left but it was so fast the keeper couldn't do a thing.  like the keeper is so used to the stutter steps now that if you do old school they can't handle it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, TallPaul1878 said:

The daft thing is that we have one more game before an international break and, as many have said, we are a mid table team with many of our players getting a rest anyway.

Pickford will likely play for England, Gylfi for Iceland, Richarlison for Brazil, Gueye is another international regular. Beyond that there aren't many more I can think of, so why rest so many?

Walcott could have easily started this game AND the Leicester game, then had a rest. Morgan and Digne have lost their places in the French side. We could have put a much stronger team out from the start and brought players off early if needed.

You did it didn’t you!

If Digne gets injured it’s all in you ( we could also blame Gana ).

Digne and Zouma called up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just watched the extended highlights. I actually thought PeteO was telling the truth, but now realise it was a backhanded dig at a Gana again haha.

Southhampton had only one chance the whole match? What about Ings one on one that Stek saved? Or Gabbiadinis missed volley? Or the guy who got the post after Morgan’s give away?

second half, Ings header? Or the one Stek tipped over the bar? Was a pretty entertaining highlight reel to be fair.

We had a good few chances, but looked so weak again, they had six good chances. This is the real worry with us. We’re giving away so many chances... and to one of the worst teams in the division.

Attacking wise, on another day we could have had four. We just need that goal scorer that can be relied on.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 03/10/2018 at 01:09, markjazzbassist said:

Listened to the first half and then missed the second.  Just watched highlights.  Absolutely raging over here that we don’t take this competition seriously.  We should have and could have rolled them.  Have a nice draw at the next round too.  Why oh why?

Mark, I’m not sure why you think Leicester away would have been a good draw. You seem to under rate them and worried you’ll see that on Saturday. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, barryj said:

Mark, I’m not sure why you think Leicester away would have been a good draw. You seem to under rate them and worried you’ll see that on Saturday. 

It’s not city or Chelsea away.  I fear those more.  Considering who’s left I would take the Leicester draw.  Puel loves to sit back and counter, Maddison is good but I don’t rate Vardy anymore. Winnable match for me.  Alas we’ll never know

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, markjazzbassist said:

It’s not city or Chelsea away.  I fear those more.  Considering who’s left I would take the Leicester draw.  Puel loves to sit back and counter, Maddison is good but I don’t rate Vardy anymore. Winnable match for me.  Alas we’ll never know

We will certainly get an indication Saturday. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Shukes said:

Just watched the extended highlights. I actually thought PeteO was telling the truth, but now realise it was a backhanded dig at a Gana again haha.

Southhampton had only one chance the whole match? What about Ings one on one that Stek saved? Or Gabbiadinis missed volley? Or the guy who got the post after Morgan’s give away?

second half, Ings header? Or the one Stek tipped over the bar? Was a pretty entertaining highlight reel to be fair.

We had a good few chances, but looked so weak again, they had six good chances. This is the real worry with us. We’re giving away so many chances... and to one of the worst teams in the division.

Attacking wise, on another day we could have had four. We just need that goal scorer that can be relied on.

Clear chances. Can't remember Ings one on one but the other two one was a routine save tipping it over the bar and the volley is a half chance at best and would be all over Sky sports news for a week if he got it in. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The volley would have been a bit special.

Ings went one on one with Stek and Stek saved with his legs. The other lad( can’t remembet his name) hit the post, should have hit the target. 

Point was, we still gave them chances. It’s about giving them the opportunity, not how close they were to scoring. The game was a lot more open than made out. 

Dont take it serious though PeteO, just me fishing with a Gana on the end of my rod!

 

erghh.... that doesn’t sound right.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×