IGNORED

Kalvin Phillips

• 4 years later...

We need a proper playmaker in the centre of the park 

we have nobody who gets the ball and carry’s it forward we need to stop this hoofing the ball upfront. 
doncaster looked a better team than us. 
also we need some variation in our corners and free kicks. 

6 minutes ago, Palfy said:

I thought he was your husband the way you swoon about him 😂

Just worry we can’t replace him mate. 
Look at the shit show the other night. None of them can pass a short ball. 

Any footballer knows that you can ping balls across to the other side of pitch while warming up to each other, but put two players ten yards apart and ask them to pass the ball between them and you WILL see it bounce all over the place, even with premier league players.

Thats why the players that can do it are worth so much. Barca in the 2000’s we’re so good because they had a midfield that we’re all capable of doing it.

Man City do it for fun now.

Watched Newcastle v Liverpool and saw the midfield struggle to put five passes together. 

Phillips is a very capable player and would step into that slot perfectly for me. Gana is in his last year of contract and surely his legs are going to slow down next year. We need a player like Phillips to step into his shoes.

Then he can be my new focus 😉

22 minutes ago, Shukes said:

Any footballer knows that you can ping balls across to the other side of pitch while warming up to each other, but put two players ten yards apart and ask them to pass the ball between them and you WILL see it bounce all over the place, even with premier league players.

Thats why the players that can do it are worth so much. Barca in the 2000’s we’re so good because they had a midfield that we’re all capable of doing it.

Watched Newcastle v Liverpool and saw the midfield struggle to put five passes together. 

Phillips is a very capable player and would step into that slot perfectly for me. Gana is in his last year of contract and surely his legs are going to slow down next year. We need a player like Phillips to step into his shoes.

Whilst I agree with all this, Gana will get a 2yr extension at some point. 

6 minutes ago, Shukes said:

I’d love to have MF full of players with the ability of a City or Barca, the onus isn’t just on the player with the ball he needs the players around him to move and make space and angles to receive the ball, we don’t get that in our midfield we can be very static most of the games so tend to use the long ball as our regular way forward. As others have mentioned before games we warm up with one and two touches passing with movement then when the game starts we don’t use movement to create space we go with the standard ball down the channels. We lack any consistency with our MFs and that includes Gana, Onana, Doucoure, all of them really as individuals will have a decent game followed up by a shocking game and Gana is guilty of that just as much as anyone else. Players working as a team and playing consistently is the only way we will improve, and that should start on the training pitch and transfer to the pitch. 

I agree Palf. But we don’t have the resources to replace everyone. 
What we can do is replace the mainstay first and work on progressing the rest in the future. 

Garner may become better as he plays more in the middle. Onana has the potential of becoming a player capable of that position. But I think both of them need another year at least.

Doucoure is at his level I’m afraid. Love the lad, but his ceiling has been reached. Happy with him, but not expecting him to improve much.

Phillips will be an astute signing if we can get realistically get him. But that’s a big if.

36 minutes ago, Shukes said:

I expect he will. But I do expect he will also slow down rapidly. His main strength is his energy, and once this goes we may see him decline fast.

I think we’ve witnessed that now too a degree which has improved his positioning and awareness in my eyes, he still puts in short bursts of pressing and recycling the ball, but he’s not making those 40-50 yard ball magnet runs up and a cross the pitch which use to leave us exposed with gaping holes in the middle of the park, I’m assuming that because he knows the legs and energy levels are deserting him, and not because Dyche has reined him in Gana is a player who’s going to do his own thing and not be shackled by any manager. 

5 minutes ago, Palfy said:

I’m assuming that because he knows the legs and energy levels are deserting him, and not because Dyche has reined him in Gana is a player who’s going to do his own thing and not be shackled by any manager. 

Don’t bite. 
Don’t bite. 
Don’t bite. 

Players who don’t do what they are told don’t get picked every week.