IGNORED

Who do you want as our main striker?

Wiggytop

It's seems from reading the forum over the last few weeks, most of us believe we need a better striker than we currently have, Cenk hasn't really done what we initially hoped he would and doesn't seem to be the right fit for the style of play Marco is wanting to get us playing,  DCL isn'tt clinical enough ( although I do like him and think he has a role to play), Niasse isn'tt a starter and is only a desperation sub at best.

Richarlison and possibly Walcott ( but not regularly) can play as main striker.

so who do you want to bring in who is going to complement the squad we have?

Calum Wilson and Josh King at Bournemouth both have the main attributes, fast and strong, but are they clinical enough, Martial, would he come here? Who would you like too see come in?

Strong, quick, good technique, clever, works hard and scores 30 goals a season... should be easy enough to find!

I have long been a King fan but not sure he is a hold up striker type. I would still pay a lot of attention to Batshauyi as he seems to score everywhere he goes but I think a higher work rate would fit more into Marcos system.

As a slightly left field option I'd bring in Lozano (if possible) to replace Richarlison on the left and push him centrally, it's apparently been Silva's plan for down the line anyway and I think playing him there recently added weight to it 

If we are talking current strikers without moulding people into roles then I'd go for a player like Piatek at Genoa

Saying that we may already have the right man on the books in Onyekuru

1 hour ago, Romey 1878 said:

I wouldn’t say Richarlison is small. 

agreed but he isn'tt built like a target man, he's not big physically and strong on the ball.  he's tall and lanky and isn'tt going to win all the aerials.  that's what i meant.  but i don't care, suarez and aguero don't and they are some of the best out there.  

43 minutes ago, markjazzbassist said:

agreed but he isn'ttt built like a target man, he's not big physically and strong on the ball.  he's tall and lanky and isn'ttt going to win all the aerials.  that's what i meant.  but i don't care, suarez and aguero don't and they are some of the best out there.  

I'd say he is big physically myself, and he certainly is strong on the ball and wins plenty of aerials.

37 minutes ago, Sir McGiven said:

isn'ttt "30 goals in a season" a bit too optimistic?

I think so too. 

Better off if we have one close to 20 and another two over 10. Spread them around the front four as much as possible. 

Richalison could get 20, Theo and Gylfi should both get more than 10. If you can get Tosun into double figures and a few from Bernard, DCL and Niasse to top them up it would be much healthier. 

It was great having Lukaku score lots of goals for us, but when you lose that one player it causes too much damage. 

18 minutes ago, StevO said:

I think so too. 

Better off if we have one close to 20 and another two over 10. Spread them around the front four as much as possible. 

Richalison could get 20, Theo and Gylfi should both get more than 10. If you can get Tosun into double figures and a few from Bernard, DCL and Niasse to top them up it would be much healthier. 

It was great having Lukaku score lots of goals for us, but when you lose that one player it causes too much damage. 

In the last 5 years, there are only 3 strikers who were able to reach 30. Salah, Kane, and Suarez. Salah and Kane did it last year. So yeah, I'd prefer your way StevO.

Its most important to have a striker than provides synergistic advantages rather than just being "Johnny on the spot" for Bernie and Richie to serve things on a plate to. 

I've seen enough of that fella plying his trade at old Trafford to know that you miss something within the team when you have a players who's only real strength is finishing (When on form)... look at firminio... I said 4 years ago that I'd sooner have him than a so-called prolific goalscorer.  You just get so much more as a team and an attacking unit with a player like that. 

2 hours ago, Romey 1878 said:

Diving and play acting doesn't mean hes not strong. It means he's a bit of a tit. And I bitch about it precisely because he's strong and doesn't need to do it.

Whilst I do not condone diving what so ever, the amount of free kicks he wins in dangerous areas is fantastic, especially with Siggy and Digne over them.

4 hours ago, Aidan said:

Whilst I do not condone diving what so ever, the amount of free kicks he wins in dangerous areas is fantastic, especially with Siggy and Digne over them.

Agree. Unfortunately it’s how football has gone.

on the topic of goals, I think we’ve got a squad with 3/4 players that could chip in with 10-15 goals a season. 

I hope Gomes becomes a goalscoring midfielder and throw in the big CB’s Keane, Zouma and especially Mina.

24 minutes ago, pete0 said:

If only, we look more likely to concede than we do score from corners atm. 12 corners we had against Fulham and we could've had 12 more and still not bagged. 

With players like Bernard in the team we need to mix it up with some short corners now and then, he is more than capable of jinking his way into the box and causing panic as we've seen because the direct route isn'tt working for us to well, which is quite common for teams that have managers who advocate playing the ball along the ground they seem not to over train on set pieces because they don't see this as their best route to a goal.

33 minutes ago, markjazzbassist said:

A few matches back we had that trick play morgan pass to someone who scored on a corner.  Now that I think of it that might be the only corner scored all year!  Yikes we are terrible at corners

That was the freekick routine that Walcott scored from. We’ve also had Richarlison score his first goal from a freekick scramble and Keane scored a header too.

Don’t think we’ve actually scored one from a corner yet, but the deliveries haven’t been too bad recently, it’s the finishing that’s been the problem.