Sign in to follow this  
Wiggytop

Who do you want as our main striker?

It's seems from reading the forum over the last few weeks, most of us believe we need a better striker than we currently have, Cenk hasn't really done what we initially hoped he would and doesn't seem to be the right fit for the style of play Marco is wanting to get us playing,  DCL isn'tt clinical enough ( although I do like him and think he has a role to play), Niasse isn'tt a starter and is only a desperation sub at best.

Richarlison and possibly Walcott ( but not regularly) can play as main striker.

so who do you want to bring in who is going to complement the squad we have?

Calum Wilson and Josh King at Bournemouth both have the main attributes, fast and strong, but are they clinical enough, Martial, would he come here? Who would you like too see come in?

Strong, quick, good technique, clever, works hard and scores 30 goals a season... should be easy enough to find!

I have long been a King fan but not sure he is a hold up striker type. I would still pay a lot of attention to Batshauyi as he seems to score everywhere he goes but I think a higher work rate would fit more into Marcos system.

As a slightly left field option I'd bring in Lozano (if possible) to replace Richarlison on the left and push him centrally, it's apparently been Silva's plan for down the line anyway and I think playing him there recently added weight to it 

If we are talking current strikers without moulding people into roles then I'd go for a player like Piatek at Genoa

Saying that we may already have the right man on the books in Onyekuru

1 hour ago, Romey 1878 said:

I wouldn’t say Richarlison is small. 

agreed but he isn'tt built like a target man, he's not big physically and strong on the ball.  he's tall and lanky and isn'tt going to win all the aerials.  that's what i meant.  but i don't care, suarez and aguero don't and they are some of the best out there.  

43 minutes ago, markjazzbassist said:

agreed but he isn'ttt built like a target man, he's not big physically and strong on the ball.  he's tall and lanky and isn'ttt going to win all the aerials.  that's what i meant.  but i don't care, suarez and aguero don't and they are some of the best out there.  

I'd say he is big physically myself, and he certainly is strong on the ball and wins plenty of aerials.

37 minutes ago, Sir McGiven said:

isn'ttt "30 goals in a season" a bit too optimistic?

I think so too. 

Better off if we have one close to 20 and another two over 10. Spread them around the front four as much as possible. 

Richalison could get 20, Theo and Gylfi should both get more than 10. If you can get Tosun into double figures and a few from Bernard, DCL and Niasse to top them up it would be much healthier. 

It was great having Lukaku score lots of goals for us, but when you lose that one player it causes too much damage. 

18 minutes ago, StevO said:

I think so too. 

Better off if we have one close to 20 and another two over 10. Spread them around the front four as much as possible. 

Richalison could get 20, Theo and Gylfi should both get more than 10. If you can get Tosun into double figures and a few from Bernard, DCL and Niasse to top them up it would be much healthier. 

It was great having Lukaku score lots of goals for us, but when you lose that one player it causes too much damage. 

In the last 5 years, there are only 3 strikers who were able to reach 30. Salah, Kane, and Suarez. Salah and Kane did it last year. So yeah, I'd prefer your way StevO.

55 minutes ago, Romey 1878 said:

I'd say he is big physically myself, and he certainly is strong on the ball and wins plenty of aerials.

you must not see him fall over and get pushed off the ball then, wierd cause i've seen you bitching about him diving and play acting doing those very things and trying to get a foul.  

Its most important to have a striker than provides synergistic advantages rather than just being "Johnny on the spot" for Bernie and Richie to serve things on a plate to. 

I've seen enough of that fella plying his trade at old Trafford to know that you miss something within the team when you have a players who's only real strength is finishing (When on form)... look at firminio... I said 4 years ago that I'd sooner have him than a so-called prolific goalscorer.  You just get so much more as a team and an attacking unit with a player like that. 

19 minutes ago, markjazzbassist said:

you must not see him fall over and get pushed off the ball then, wierd cause i've seen you bitching about him diving and play acting doing those very things and trying to get a foul.  

Diving and play acting doesn't mean hes not strong. It means he's a bit of a tit. And I bitch about it precisely because he's strong and doesn't need to do it.

2 hours ago, Romey 1878 said:

Diving and play acting doesn't mean hes not strong. It means he's a bit of a tit. And I bitch about it precisely because he's strong and doesn't need to do it.

Whilst I do not condone diving what so ever, the amount of free kicks he wins in dangerous areas is fantastic, especially with Siggy and Digne over them.

4 hours ago, Aidan said:

Whilst I do not condone diving what so ever, the amount of free kicks he wins in dangerous areas is fantastic, especially with Siggy and Digne over them.

Agree. Unfortunately it’s how football has gone.

on the topic of goals, I think we’ve got a squad with 3/4 players that could chip in with 10-15 goals a season. 

I hope Gomes becomes a goalscoring midfielder and throw in the big CB’s Keane, Zouma and especially Mina.

2 minutes ago, Btay said:

and throw in the big CB’s Keane, Zouma and especially Mina.

If only, we look more likely to concede than we do score from corners atm. 12 corners we had against Fulham and we could've had 12 more and still not bagged. 

24 minutes ago, pete0 said:

If only, we look more likely to concede than we do score from corners atm. 12 corners we had against Fulham and we could've had 12 more and still not bagged. 

With players like Bernard in the team we need to mix it up with some short corners now and then, he is more than capable of jinking his way into the box and causing panic as we've seen because the direct route isn'tt working for us to well, which is quite common for teams that have managers who advocate playing the ball along the ground they seem not to over train on set pieces because they don't see this as their best route to a goal.

1 hour ago, pete0 said:

I thought the same thing when I was watching.  Bar that one choreagraphed play we pulled we have been awful on corners.

33 minutes ago, markjazzbassist said:

A few matches back we had that trick play morgan pass to someone who scored on a corner.  Now that I think of it that might be the only corner scored all year!  Yikes we are terrible at corners

That was the freekick routine that Walcott scored from. We’ve also had Richarlison score his first goal from a freekick scramble and Keane scored a header too.

Don’t think we’ve actually scored one from a corner yet, but the deliveries haven’t been too bad recently, it’s the finishing that’s been the problem. 

I think Martial would do well here you don't need a big target man to hit all the time, when you play with width in the channels with players who like to cut in you are better off with players who have a good touch and turn.

6 hours ago, markjazzbassist said:

A few matches back we had that trick play morgan pass to someone who scored on a corner.  Now that I think of it that might be the only corner scored all year!  Yikes we are terrible at corners

6 hours ago, Vranny said:

That was the freekick routine that Walcott scored from. We’ve also had Richarlison score his first goal from a freekick scramble and Keane scored a header too.

Don’t think we’ve actually scored one from a corner yet, but the deliveries haven’t been too bad recently, it’s the finishing that’s been the problem. 

Vranny beat me to it!

10 hours ago, markjazzbassist said:

It’s been this way for years now, and I don’t understand it. We practice free kicks but they are taken from all over the place. Corners are always from the same spot, always the same distance from goal. Why not practice nothing but corners for a month? It’s an obvious way to increase goal production. We want opponents to experience fear when they concede a corner, not a sense of relief. 

10 hours ago, Vranny said:

yikes even worse!!  no goals from corners?  that's just missed opportunities there.  i hope marco fixes it.

2 hours ago, Cornish Steve said:

It’s been this way for years now, and I don’t understand it. We practice free kicks but they are taken from all over the place. Corners are always from the same spot, always the same distance from goal. Why not practice nothing but corners for a month? It’s an obvious way to increase goal production. We want opponents to experience fear when they concede a corner, not a sense of relief. 

Thing is though that as they're always taken from the same spot they're also easier for the defending team to practice repelling them. Having said that I agree the hit into the goal area and hope method needs to be addressed, few short ones maybe, keep the opposition guessing.

20 minutes ago, MikeO said:

Thing is though that as they're always taken from the same spot they're also easier for the defending team to practice repelling them. Having said that I agree the hit into the goal area and hope method needs to be addressed, few short ones maybe, keep the opposition guessing.

Look at the height of our team over the past few years. We've lacked an ariel threat since Fellaini. Mina and Zouma are perfect for those set pieces and hopefully we can improve on them.

5 minutes ago, Aidan said:

Look at the height of our team over the past few years. We've lacked an ariel threat since Fellaini. Mina and Zouma are perfect for those set pieces and hopefully we can improve on them.

Keane too

Well after 2 days we’ve not had many wanting new players coming in, which is a bit of a surprise as many were calling for a top class striker cos Cenk and DCL weren’t getting enough goals.

I agree that a fluid  front line could cause many teams problens, we now seem to have the players to do that, let’s see how we get on in December when there’s a few testing games to get through.

1 hour ago, Wiggytop said:

Well after 2 days we’ve not had many wanting new players coming in, which is a bit of a surprise as many were calling for a top class striker cos Cenk and DCL weren’t getting enough goals.

I agree that a fluid  front line could cause many teams problens, we now seem to have the players to do that, let’s see how we get on in December when there’s a few testing games to get through.

i think everyone is waiting to see how richarlison does there to see if that's a permanent solution or not.  

if we could get hi for a bag of crisps I ould say Neymar, but I think he would be priced too highly.

personally I think we should try to get a good English (or at least a British) striker in  if we did that we would not have to worry about any players going away on obscure internationals midway through the season.  we would always get a break from club competition with that scenario.

There is no way the team don’t practice corners. 

Carlos Carvahal was on Goals on Sunday a while back and said Marcos teams are always well drilled on set pieces. I believe that, I think they all know what Marco wants them to do. The problem is what he wants them to do has been zonal.

9 minutes ago, StevO said:

There is no way the team don’t practice corners. 

Carlos Carvahal was on Goals on Sunday a while back and said Marcos teams are always well drilled on set pieces. I believe that, I think they all know what Marco wants them to do. The problem is what he wants them to do has been zonal.

We were talking about taking corners not defending them.  We know they practice defending them because it’s improved, as far as taking them we are still shite, not sure we practice scoring from them.

21 hours ago, markjazzbassist said:

We were talking about taking corners not defending them.  We know they practice defending them because it’s improved, as far as taking them we are still shite, not sure we practice scoring from them.

We will be practicing both, on a very regular basis. We just aren’t very good at either.