11 minutes ago, Btay said:

I’d honestly be happy with Zouma and a quality RB.

Ideally we'd get a quality striker in but January will probably be far too difficult to make that happen. Hopefully we go all out for that in the summer.

Problem with January is the availability of players who will improve our squad. For me a striker and right back are a must either in Jan or in the summer.

I’m happy with our squad at the moment. Niasse and maybe baines I can see going. I’m gonna wait to see if Richarlison stays a number 9. If so I’m happy with him Tosun and DCL. We would need another left sided/ forward I reckon though in January. 

I’d be surprised if we brought anyone of any note in, I’d prefer to wait until the summer and get our top targets in than overpay for a Tosun or the likes. I always knew this season would be a transitional one and a top half finish is alls I expected. A squad overhaul and us moving in the right direction with better players and a stronger squad, add to that in the summer a top quality striker a new right back and a new box to box centre mid and hopefully Zouma and we’ll be sound.

1 hour ago, Paddock said:

I’d be surprised if we brought anyone of any note in, I’d prefer to wait until the summer and get our top targets in than overpay for a Tosun or the likes. I always knew this season would be a transitional one and a top half finish is alls I expected. A squad overhaul and us moving in the right direction with better players and a stronger squad, add to that in the summer a top quality striker a new right back and a new box to box centre mid and hopefully Zouma and we’ll be sound.

Don’t think we need an overhaul, next summer we should have pinpoint changes. 

Ive been a bit concerned by Silva and change in the past, but they’re happily proving me wrong. There’s stability, let’s build on that. 

3-4 quality acquisitions and I’d be made up : strike, RB, AMC and a bonus. 

1 hour ago, c1982 said:

I hope Wan Bissaka is someone we look at to eventually replace Seamus - he looks the real deal. I can see Man U being in for him. Really impressed with him again today.

Yeah I was going to post about him. 

He is proper rapid, we got no change out of him today. 

19 hours ago, Matt said:

Don’t think we need an overhaul, next summer we should have pinpoint changes. 

Ive been a bit concerned by Silva and change in the past, but they’re happily proving me wrong. There’s stability, let’s build on that. 

3-4 quality acquisitions and I’d be made up : strike, RB, AMC and a bonus. 

He’s already overhauled the squad by shipping out the deadwood and plugging the gaps- we need to make a couple of loan signings permanent (both ways) and the four I mentioned ant Brands has worked a miracle inside 3 windows for me.

I always knew if Silva and Brands were going to work it would take time, still not saying it absolutely will but I’m not expecting us to be anywhere near the top 6 for another 2 seasons.

Going forward, lets say for argument sake we make Zouma and Gomes permanent signings. I’ll try and pinpoint where we need to invest to improve our squad for next season.

GK - Pickford, Virginia, Stekelenburg (No need to buy here)

RB - Coleman, Kenny (I’d loan Kenny out and buy another RB to push Coleman)

CB - Zouma, Mina, Keane, Holgate, Jagielka, Browning, Galloway(Browning and Galloway will be sold. Think this will be Jags’ last season but we should be fine with 4 CBs - No need to buy here)

LB - Digne, Baines (Happy with Baines as cover for a few more seasons - No need to buy here)

DM - Gana, Schneiderlin, McCarthy, Baningime (Loan Baningime out. I think Schneiderlin and McCarthy will be sold. Gana is great. I think we need to buy competition for him)

CM - Gomes, Davies (I’d loan Davies and buy competition for Gomes)

RW - Walcott, Lookman (Fine here)

LW - Richarlison, Bernard (Fine here)

AM - Sigurdsson, Dowell (Loan Dowell out, buy another AM)

CF - Tosun, Niasse, DCL (Think we’ll sell Niasse and possibly Tosun which means investing in two CFs... maybe one pacy who can play wide as well to offer competition on both flanks. DCL is fine)

So out of the current squad I think we’ll sell:

Jagielka (retire), Schneiderlin, McCarthy, Niasse, Tosun, Browning, Galloway.

Sell current loaned out players:

Williams, Mirallas, Garbutt, Pennington, Martina, Tarashaj, Bolasie, Besic, Sandro, Connolly.

Loan: Kenny, Baningime, Dowell, Davies, Vlasic, Onyekuru, Robinson.

Buy: 1 RB, 1 DM, 1 CM/Box to box, 1 AM, 2 CF (1 Pacy who can play wide and 1 proper CF).

That would mean 6 in over the following year. Don’t think that’s too bad if we move players on as well.

We don't need 6 first team players in this summer.

From now on in we need to be meticulous with our signings. The foundations are there, now we need to slowly build on that.

Tosun will take his chance and prove to be a good striker for us, whether that be first choice or back up. Jimmy Mac hasn't played a single minute under Silva, so why he deserves to be sold is beyond me. Macca can provide cover for Gana, and Morgan can provide cover for Gomes.

I'd limit signings to 2 or 3 new faces excluding Zouma and Gomes if we can sign them on permenant deals.

2 minutes ago, Aidan said:

Jimmy Mac hasn't played a single minute under Silva, so why he deserves to be sold is beyond me

Broken bone shouldn't have an impact on his game once he's fully fit, and potentially the year out will have gave his muscles/hamstrings the rest they needed, possibly a blessing in disguise and prolong his career. 

no chance we buy gomes, not much chance we buy zouma.  mina will slot in for zouma.  for me we need to see how cenk does to see if he can discover some form in silva's system.  since gomes will go we either need davies to step up or find a player there.

1 minute ago, markjazzbassist said:

no chance we buy gomes, not much chance we buy zouma.  mina will slot in for zouma.  for me we need to see how cenk does to see if he can discover some form in silva's system.  since gomes will go we either need davies to step up or find a player there.

Why do you say that?

2 minutes ago, markjazzbassist said:

there is no option to buy, if they were thinking of selling him there would be.  not to mention he is seen as the successor to iniesta/messi.  

So far as I've understood, he had a miserable time there and that's why he moved and the only reason we didn't get him on a permanent transfer is because we couldn't afford it at the time:

https://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2018/08/17/marcel-brands-says-everton-couldnt-afford-permanent-andre-gomes/

Just because there isnt an option to buy it doesnt mean we cant. Look at Lukaku. 

We just need to get him playing regularly and enjoying his football. If he does that, I am sure the fans will win him over and he wont want to be anywhere else especially as there is a question mark over him at the top level.

1 hour ago, markjazzbassist said:

there is no option to buy, if they were thinking of selling him there would be.  not to mention he is seen as the successor to iniesta/messi.  

All it means is that Barca are being clever. If they'd agreed to a £20m fee and then he plays out of his skin for us they'd be losing out on money.

12 minutes ago, Romey 1878 said:

All it means is that Barca are being clever. If they'd agreed to a £20m fee and then he plays out of his skin for us they'd be losing out on money.

and if he plays like shit we won't want to buy, so my statement that he won't be bought for us would still be correct.  he's gone after this year.

8 minutes ago, markjazzbassist said:

and if he plays like shit we won't want to buy, so my statement that he won't be bought for us would still be correct.  he's gone after this year.

and probably gone from barca as well.  watch a lot of their games and he will never fill the void they were hoping he would.  barca just wants to recover every penny spent on him and I doubt we were willing to go that far in the summer as the linked article above mentions.

on a sidenote, Arthur Melo has been a joy to watch.  Only 22 and looks right at home in that midfield.

26 minutes ago, markjazzbassist said:

If he plays well for us I can see us putting in a bid and if he's gotten the love he wants during his time here I can see us being successful with that bid.

I think it’s evident that Barca are open to the idea of getting rid of him. I don’t think he is an iniesta replacement. They already have found that player already. I was impressed with him big time. Neat and today with lots more to come. I think he will shine next week on a bigger pitch. I think your looking at £35 mill plus. Which is comparable to Danny drink water so I’d get him in in a heartbeat 

7 hours ago, Btay said:

I think if Coleman hasn’t improved by jan we need to be looking at a first team RB. 

100%. Seen a few tweets saying he isn'tt good enough to where we want to be and I for one agree. Far too many sentimental people will scream "HE LOVES THE BLUES THO!" which is great, so do I, but it doesn't mean I'm at the level Everton want to be and unfortunately it seems Coleman isn'tt either.

Bad form doesn’t mean he isn’t good enough. 

He was good enough when he was bombing forward scoring goals. He was good enough when he acted as our sweeper. 

He is going through some bad form after recovering from a few injury’s that’s all. Give the guy a break. Look for long term replacements by all means, but don’t hang our loyal players out to dry.... that’s what is meant to separate Everton from the rest! 

Loyalty does mean a lot to us. Go back to players like Eto.... class player, but no loyalty to any team ever, and he has brought teams down wherever he went. Do we really want to be there again? 

Sone of us are sentimental yes, but because we love our team before we love winning. It’s great to win and have success.... but I’ve supported Everton through some of the worst times in the clubs history, and I’ll still support them as I draw my last breath....even if we never win a trophy ever again.

8 hours ago, Btay said:

I think if Coleman hasn’t improved by jan we need to be looking at a first team RB. 

We should be doing that anyway.

I'm not his biggest fan but that's not the main reason I think this. We shouldn't be doing with him what we did with Baines, and leave it and leave it. We have to have a plan for succession. 

15 minutes ago, Shukes said:

He was good enough when he was bombing forward scoring goals. He was good enough when he acted as our sweeper. 

He is going through some bad form after recovering from a few injury’s that’s all. Give the guy a break. Look for long term replacements by all means, but don’t hang our loyal players out to dry.... that’s what is meant to separate Everton from the rest! 

Loyalty does mean a lot to us. Go back to players like Eto.... class player, but no loyalty to any team ever, and he has brought teams down wherever he went. Do we really want to be there again? 

Sone of us are sentimental yes, but because we love our team before we love winning. It’s great to win and have success.... but I’ve supported Everton through some of the worst times in the clubs history, and I’ll still support them as I draw my last breath....even if we never win a trophy ever again.

Is it bad form though? Yes he has suffered a major injury and I think that has took his toll on him. I don't think he can perform to the level we aspire to be at. The amount of silly mistakes he makes per game is concerning, yes it might be small ones but look at Saturday, he gave away the pen (which was the right decision). He often lets the ball roll under his feet, a few times now he cant play a simple 1-2 pass past a defender. His crossing isn'tt as good anymore and his defensive work I've always had a problem with, even before his injury, infact I called for him to be played as right winger before.

Stuff like that are signalling for me that he is done, which I hate. Please don't take it as me saying this as I don't like Coleman, I love the bastard, he loves us. He is Everton through and through, but no player is bigger than the club as we are led to believe and therefore for me, he needs to be replaced. With him being the biggest fan favourite (the cheer when the team is read out pre match is always the loudest for him) makes it harder but its time to phase him out like we have done with Baines.

As for the Eto'o argument, I disagree. Didn't bring Barca down, didn't bring Inter down, nor did he bring the Russian team (not going to attempt to type that out!), Chelsea, the Turkish team etc. In fact majority of them he made them better. He spotted the flawed aspects of Martinez and was bombed out because of that. Lukaku didn't have any loyalty to us, just ask Haf! Yet I bet you would loved to of kept him.

46 minutes ago, Romey 1878 said:

We should be doing that anyway.

I'm not his biggest fan but that's not the main reason I think this. We shouldn't be doing with him what we did with Baines, and leave it and leave it. We have to have a plan for succession. 

This for me.  Thankfully We have Brands who I trust to bring in a quality replacement.

Personally I feel we hung Baines out to dry by not replacing him earlier...

I’d love nothing more than for Coleman to be our rb for the next 2/3 years. He’s 30, which is hard to believe. He’s lost that yard of pace that was his saving grace. 

4 minutes ago, Btay said:

We did, and I banged on about getting someone in to replace him for about three years before we actually did!

Sometimes we (the club, not necessarily the fans) show a bit too much loyalty/sentimentality towards the players. We did the same with Cahill and by the end I was pissed off seeing his name in the starting 11.

4 minutes ago, Btay said:

I’d love nothing more than for Coleman to be our rb for the next 2/3 years. He’s 30, which is hard to believe. He’s lost that yard of pace that was his saving grace. 

without a doubt, I feel some of his performances was over looked because he is so well liked, the same thing is happening with Coleman now. Its a damn shame to see but look at how much better our left side is now with Digne playing.

11 hours ago, Shukes said:

I agree, he surprised us all by coming back as well as he did but its going to take time from him to really be back at the level he was, if indeed he ever does. He wasnt without his fault but he was an elite fullback. The counter to that is how long do you leave it to find out whether he does find his form and then the next question is how long do you give Kenny a chance to prove himself at the top level. The decision will need to be made soon though as otherwise we will be left with a Baines/Garbutt situation as others have alluded to.

On 22/10/2018 at 14:26, markjazzbassist said:

Didnt we get Deulofeu on loan with no option to buy and then we later bought him. If so your argument is flawed. 

Just can’t see it in January. There is no international tournaments in the summer so there will no desperate need for players to get game time to make the squads. I think Niasse will go but think we have enough barring injuries till summer 

Unless we get a few infuries I’m happy with the squad. Still want to get rid of stek, Niasse. In the summer hopefully we will sign Gomes get vlasic and Henry back and we can look seriously at a right back and a striker 

7 hours ago, Finn balor said:

Unless we get a few infuries I’m happy with the squad. Still want to get rid of stek, Niasse. In the summer hopefully we will sign Gomes get vlasic and Henry back and we can look seriously at a right back and a striker 

What benefit is it to the club to get rid of Stek and Niasse? Genuine question as I never understand when fans want players sold who haven’t done any harm to the club. 

23 hours ago, StevO said:

What benefit is it to the club to get rid of Stek and Niasse? Genuine question as I never understand when fans want players sold who haven’t done any harm to the club. 

Stek is very bad at goalkeeping. I’d far rather see Virginia in goal if something were to happen to Pickford. Don’t think we should get rid of Niasse, though.

Surely we want to improve the squad and increase the competition? I’m fine with Stek as number 2 and Virginia as the young potential. I’d definitely sell Niasse though because he isn’t good enough. It’s becoming clear who’s in Brands and Marco’s plans and who isn’t. Niasse, Schneiderlin and Tosun will be the next three to leave. We desperately need a striker who can hold the ball and score goals. Richarlison is a stop gap there I feel. There has to be pressure on Walcott now as well. Performances haven’t been up to scratch lately. Wouldn’t be surprised to see us sign a right sided winger next summer either to add a bit more quality.

17 hours ago, nyblue23 said:

Stek is very bad at goalkeeping. I’d far rather see Virginia in goal if something were to happen to Pickford. Don’t think we should get rid of Niasse, though.

you don't get to play in a world cup final if that is true.

3 minutes ago, Matt said:

Unless the competition in your position is even worse at the time. 

doesn't matter how bad his competition for his place was, he was their number 1 and played a role against the best in the world to get them to the final.

I don’t see the rush to get rid of a second choice. What happens if we get rid of him and Virginia is worse and Pickford gets injured? I’d rather the seasoned but average pro than risk an untested kid. 

Stek has also been given a new contract under the current management so the idea that he’s only here because of Koeman is out of the window for me. 

1 hour ago, StevO said:

I don’t see the rush to get rid of a second choice. What happens if we get rid of him and Virginia is worse and Pickford gets injured? I’d rather the seasoned but average pro than risk an untested kid. 

Stek has also been given a new contract under the current management so the idea that he’s only here because of Koeman is out of the window for me. 

agree on all counts, stek gets a bad rap that is unwarranted.  niasse is worthwhile as well, if DCL goes down we need someone to spell richarlison or throw on in 442 situations, unless we are bringing in another striker i don't want him to leave. 

we have a ton of central midfielders, if we are trying to get rid that would be the place for me.  Besic and schneiderlin could go and it wouldn't bother me.

Players we need:

ST, RW, CM (hopefully Gomes)

Players to go:

Schniederlin & Niasse

I'd like to see Besic given another chance in preseason as he could be a useful squad player. I think Tosun still has a role here as a back up to a new marquee striker signing with DCL also providing depth.

Based on the current squad we need a winger/striker, a physical CM/DM and a new RB to move us up to the next level. When Zouma and Gomes go we will need them to be replaced too. 

The market for a top striker is very thin at the moment. You look at almost every club bar City, Spurs, Liverpool and Arsenal and their fans will say the same thing. Most teams would bite their arm off for Tosun and I suspect a few teams will be after Niasse in January. I dont see us getting better than Richarlison up top any time soon, so therefore I would look for another physical winger like him.

As good as Gana has been at times this season I would still like a better decision maker who is also going to be able to dominate a midfield. 

Then finally we need to line up Coleman's successor. 

I wouldnt be in a rush to bring anyone in this January nor flog anyone unless the price is right. If McCarthy comes back purring and Benny keeps progressing then Schneiderlin would definitely be high on the list to leave. I could see Dowell going to get some game time but that is probably the lot.

13 hours ago, Bailey said:

Based on the current squad we need a winger/striker, a physical CM/DM and a new RB to move us up to the next level. When Zouma and Gomes go we will need them to be replaced too. 

The market for a top striker is very thin at the moment. You look at almost every club bar City, Spurs, Liverpool and Arsenal and their fans will say the same thing. Most teams would bite their arm off for Tosun and I suspect a few teams will be after Niasse in January. I dont see us getting better than Richarlison up top any time soon, so therefore I would look for another physical winger like him.

As good as Gana has been at times this season I would still like a better decision maker who is also going to be able to dominate a midfield. 

Then finally we need to line up Coleman's successor. 

I wouldnt be in a rush to bring anyone in this January nor flog anyone unless the price is right. If McCarthy comes back purring and Benny keeps progressing then Schneiderlin would definitely be high on the list to leave. I could see Dowell going to get some game time but that is probably the lot.

Dunno about the CM area, but that's only because it comes down to 2 inconsistent players that we have their already; McCarthy (injury) and Schneiderlin (which one will turn up). If either could address their inconsistencies (less so McCarthy, he gets injured because he puts himself on the line constantly), we'd have no problem. I'd rather Beni got a chance than add another expensive midfielder to the books. 

I still don't get the shouts for Niasse to leave, and I agree there might well be a few suitors coming in for him this January, but I still wouldn't sell him. Same for Tosun. 

I'd like to see a quality RB come in in January and that's about it really. Unless there really is a top draw striker available, although, like you said, it'll be slim pickings and with the January tax, over priced. 

I think a bit of patience is needed this season regarding more transfers. I've happily had my concerns quashed by Brands' and Silva's work over the summer, I really thought it was a Walsh/Koeman 2.0 with the amount of change, but they've done a fantastic job. However, to rush out and bring in a bunch of new faces is a bit premature, so even if Moshiri's statement of no signings is true, I won't be disappointed. Next summer is the big window, the biggest in terms of upgrading rather than bulking out the squad, that we've had for years.

12 hours ago, Matt said:

Dunno about the CM area, but that's only because it comes down to 2 inconsistent players that we have their already; McCarthy (injury) and Schneiderlin (which one will turn up). If either could address their inconsistencies (less so McCarthy, he gets injured because he puts himself on the line constantly), we'd have no problem. I'd rather Beni got a chance than add another expensive midfielder to the books. 

I still don't get the shouts for Niasse to leave, and I agree there might well be a few suitors coming in for him this January, but I still wouldn't sell him. Same for Tosun. 

I'd like to see a quality RB come in in January and that's about it really. Unless there really is a top draw striker available, although, like you said, it'll be slim pickings and with the January tax, over priced. 

I think a bit of patience is needed this season regarding more transfers. I've happily had my concerns quashed by Brands' and Silva's work over the summer, I really thought it was a Walsh/Koeman 2.0 with the amount of change, but they've done a fantastic job. However, to rush out and bring in a bunch of new faces is a bit premature, so even if Moshiri's statement of no signings is true, I won't be disappointed. Next summer is the big window, the biggest in terms of upgrading rather than bulking out the squad, that we've had for years.

The way I see it is that Schneiderlin isnt quick and he isnt strong and nor is he that good at reading the game or good enough on the ball to be a realistic CL chasing midfielder. 

As much as I love McCarthy he has to prove he still has it and given how much football he has missed over the last 3 or so years I would be surprised. I hope he does though.

Benni is way too early to be pinning any hopes on. He looked more like another Gana than another Gomes whereas I think we should be looking for a hybrid of them two plus a bit of McCarthy for good measure. Thats not a knock on either player btw. Finding that player isnt easy but its worth looking! 😀

On 10/11/2018 at 04:52, Aidan said:

Happy with that, we need a season with the current squad, then we can see where we are at in the summer. 

Completely agree. Stability is now the key. I'd prefer we not bring in any new players in January.