IGNORED

January Plans

Romey 1878

The manager and having backroom staff in the likes of Dunc along with the first team players we have who have plenty of experience in this league will more than cover what desires and ethos we want and need

Baines has already stated he doesn't have a passion for the game albeit he will for the club but apparently doesn't want to hang around, Jags is surplus but I would like to see him move into the coaching in some respect Coleman has another year in him imo before he becomes completely surplus 

There's very little point handing players multimillion pound contracts just for off the park experience, I can't think of many successful sides that tend to do it with said players never playing that's coaching not being a player  

On 08/12/2018 at 04:57, markjazzbassist said:

i get it completely, it doesn't take a guy who's been at the club for a long time to be the old guard.  gylfi has proven on and off the pitch for years in this league he is a top player and professional.  the others respect that, you don't need to be an academy boy to show that.  that's where i think this whole hero worship goes south, no need for jags and baines to stay on to espouse the values of everton, we have a manager and players he likes and respects to do that.  not to mention the things the manager wants for team spirit and the values he cherishes change from manager to manager.  if we still had moyes then sure keep hibbo and distin and jags and baines around.  but 4 managers later and they don't know what marco wants anymore than Digne who was just signed.  Juve, PSG, dortmund, barca all jettison their aging players and they don't seem to lack team spirit and they keep winning.  maybe we should take a page from there book, maybe your definition of old guard is what's holding us back.

Not my definition, it’s the English definition;

old guard
noun
  1. the original or long-standing members of a group

5 hours ago, aaron said:

after last night 10000000000000000000000000000% a right back needs to be bought. Straight in for that lad from Palace.

Apparently after Bissaka Dacoure and NDombele and a striker in the summer, pinch of salt but I'd be made up with all three and a proper top level striker 

36 minutes ago, Bailey said:

Is Callum Wilson really that much of an upgrade? 

I certainly dont think he is a bad player, Im just not sure he is a level above what we have. 

No we need a target man who can link up the play. Giroud would be perfect but for how long? Diego Costa would be great too. 

Digne and siggy would love to have a player like giroud to aim for. 

I like Wilson, but we should be aiming for a better player. 

33 minutes ago, Bailey said:

Is Callum Wilson really that much of an upgrade? 

I certainly dont think he is a bad player, Im just not sure he is a level above what we have. 

I rate him highly, but I said in another thread that I'd like him here as a second option to another, more proven striker -- a Gabriel Jesus to an Aguero in a sense.

I think Wilson could slot in nicely. I always thought Inaki Williams was going to grow into a powerful, pacey striker but it seems he hasn’t kick his development on so much? 

Regardless if we get another CF, he will need to have a bit of size about him as we do still look for our CF to hold onto the ball and bring others into the game.

Heads out of arses lads, we aren't even in Europe, nevermind the Champions league so don't be dreaming of world class strikers...yet.

Callum Wilson is the level we should be looking at for now to get us to the next level then you replace him. Look at City when they started, they had the next step players but then replaced them when they made it to the champions league. offering "European football" doesn't have the same pull anymore when its just Europa League, players want Champions League, and until we get that then yes Wilson is good enough and what we should be going for. Don't get me wrong, I'd love the world class players here but realistically we aren't in any sort of position to be getting them.

No we shouldn’t, we should be looking at players to take us to the next level, not arguably slightly better than what we already have.

Were not looking to consolidate 8th place, we’re looking to improve on last season and at least challenge for the top six. We need to be brave, and go for targets that will take us to that next level. We may get them, we may not, but we need to trying either way.

2 hours ago, Shukes said:

No we shouldn’t, we should be looking at players to take us to the next level, not arguably slightly better than what we already have.

Were not looking to consolidate 8th place, we’re looking to improve on last season and at least challenge for the top six. We need to be brave, and go for targets that will take us to that next level. We may get them, we may not, but we need to trying either way.

Of course we are trying to consolidate 8th place. You don't build a house on a sand foundation.

If the gamble of chasing the "next level" targets doesn't pay off then we have wasted time, money and possibly of signing someone who would come in and push us in the right direction towards the "next level" players. We need to learn to walk before we starting a marathon.

Like I previously mentioned City did it, Spurs have done it, Liverpool are doing it. United tried doing it the "gamble on the next level" way and look at the mess they are now in.

Don’t agree at all. You build up from a solid foundation, and we already have a solid foundation. We’ve been a solid top 8 team for years. No point building sideways onto marshland, build up, build towards something. 

City went out and brought a star player the second they had money, they made a massive statement.... it’s done them well.

liverpool have always done it, has t always worked but mostly it has. They have never tried to consolidate.

Even spurs have brought big name players, always.

I do u derstand where your coming from, don’t rush and make mistakes. But we have the foundation already set.... it’s time we started laying bricks now.

22 hours ago, sibdane said:

I rate him highly, but I said in another thread that I'd like him here as a second option to another, more proven striker -- a Gabriel Jesus to an Aguero in a sense.

I agree with you about him being a 2nd striker but then we arent going to go out and buy two strikers to replace what we have.

19 hours ago, nogs said:

Not an upgrade on Tosun, Niasse and DCL? Really? 

I said "much of an upgrade". Niasse is obvious but I dont think there is a lot of difference between the others and Wilson has already had 2 major injuries which is likely to shorten his career. 

18 hours ago, sibdane said:

I believe Wilson would definitely be an upgrade on our current options. He's not world class of course, but he knows the league and scores goals. I still maintain that we would still need a better striker to challenge for top 4, so he's not my first choice, but he would be excellent depth. 

I agree, albeit I dont think there would be much difference. Im not sure there is a massive amount between him and Richarlison and I would back the latter to improve a lot more in the future.

9 minutes ago, Bailey said:

I agree with you about him being a 2nd striker but then we arent going to go out and buy two strikers to replace what we have.

I said "much of an upgrade". Niasse is obvious but I dont think there is a lot of difference between the others and Wilson has already had 2 major injuries which is likely to shorten his career. 

I agree, albeit I dont think there would be much difference. Im not sure there is a massive amount between him and Richarlison and I would back the latter to improve a lot more in the future.

I would still prefer to see Richarlison on the wing and bring in two strikers. A second striker isn'tt a priority now though; I'd much rather bring in a player of higher standing than Wilson of course, but I think he'd be an excellent second option. He's looked really good this season, and even if he does have a shortened career due to injuries, he's still young (26) and has a lot of pace and strength. I would definitely say he's an upgrade on DCL, Tosun, and obviously, Niasse.  

For what you’d have to pay, Wilson would be a massive risk. In the current market, you’re looking at around £40m for a player who has had major surgery in both knees. I’d love him if we had him already and if he was coming to the end of his contract on the cheap he’d be a no brainer but for what you’d have to pay vs the risk - it’d be ridiculous.

49 minutes ago, c1982 said:

For what you’d have to pay, Wilson would be a massive risk. In the current market, you’re looking at around £40m for a player who has had major surgery in both knees. I’d love him if we had him already and if he was coming to the end of his contract on the cheap he’d be a no brainer but for what you’d have to pay vs the risk - it’d be ridiculous.

That's a good point. I'm not sure what his valuation would be. 40M seems high, but it's really hard to fathom today's market prices.

I'd guess it would be more than £40m, decent strikers are in short supply. We gambled £25m on an unproven striker from the Turkish league. Wilson is younger and proven in the league, add to that he'll come with an English premium and I would be surprised if it's closer to £70m.

On 13/12/2018 at 19:45, c1982 said:

Completely agree. 

I also prefer King to Wilson, I think he is a far more rounded player albeit he is probably better off the striker than leading the line whih wouldnt help us at all!