IGNORED

January Plans

Romey 1878

Aside from locking up Gomes and Zouma...

I'd love a, slightly more, unrealistic Striker target like Mauro Icardi or Ciro Immobile (maybe??).  From the more possible scenarios; an Andrea Belotti or, riskier, Andre Silva seem well suited to our current style.  Both are strong and fast.

Otherwise...Sebastien Haller looks to be in top form, don't think he's too quick though.

15 hours ago, markjazzbassist said:

i don't want dembele.  dude has had issues everywhere he goes, he's balotelli mk ii.  countinho is languishing on their bench, i'd take him (i know he would never come here).

Yeah actually I've just read he's a bellend.  Night club boy.  Dont want those at the club.

35 minutes ago, jofanon said:

When I've seen him he's been excellent - super quick

Nearly a 1 in 2 player for Germany and considering he hasn't started many games for them it isn'tt a bad return considering the amount of forwards they have at their disposal 

He's 22 the fact he hasn't been snapped up yet by Bayern means nothing they've already expressed interest but have the likes of Wagner Muller and Lewandowski to jiggle around move on etc 

Young quick and technically better than any of the other German forwards on the rise, he'd be a good fit and will only get better imo  

1 hour ago, nogs said:

Well rumours are we fancy Leipzig's French forward more. 

Saw that I can't see it being true tbh as it says Lookman would go the other way as part of the deal 

I can't say I've seen the lad play though so he may be decent and have bags of potential if they are interested it'll be purely financial over Werner though if their valuing a relatively unproven and unknown player at £38m

21 hours ago, markjazzbassist said:

Cheeky bid for Ozil?  Emery played 19 years old academy kids over him in a cup match today and lost to spurs.

...and pay him £300k a week - that after his eight figure signing-on fee - that after being really cheeky to Arsenal with the £50m plus add-ons for a player, if they didn’t have already, would 100% not sign under the current manager. Anyway, I don’t think this is a good idea.

25 minutes ago, c1982 said:

...and pay him £300k a week - that after his eight figure signing-on fee - that after being really cheeky to Arsenal with the £50m plus add-ons for a player, if they didn’t have already, would 100% not sign under the current manager. Anyway, I don’t think this is a good idea.

yeah upon further reflection we can't afford him

Ozil’s done nothing of any note for Arsenal or Germany for a long time why on earth would anyone want him here fucking us over 

Go for Ruben Neves before City take him he’s 21 and the bollocks should be able to get him for around 50 million sell Gana and Schneiderlin to fund it. 

5 hours ago, Finn balor said:

Offer palace jimmy Mac, bolasie and Niasse and some dough for zaha please 

Prefer Wan Bissaka over. Saha,  plus a cheeky bid for Vardy, not my favourite person but he knows where the net is, can do the high press and would give us a bit a nasty which we don't have in our squad at the moment.

4 hours ago, Wiggytop said:

Prefer Wan Bissaka over. Saha,  plus a cheeky bid for Vardy, not my favourite person but he knows where the net is, can do the high press and would give us a bit a nasty which we don't have in our squad at the moment.

would love Wan Bissaka but not sure if he is a realistic option.

Same goes with Vardy - he would be useful but only for a limited amount of time and I don't think Leicester would be willing to let him go in January - by the Summer we should have identified a longer term option from elsewhere.

Goalkeeper: We're just fine, but push Stek back to #3 behind Virginia.

Defence: It's time for Coleman to be replaced, and much as I'd like to see Kenny get more time, I think we need to go out and buy (another Digne). Mina is settling in, and Keane is much improved. So, just one change is needed here.

Midfield: This, not upfront, is our greatest need. I can't believe some want to push out McCarthy. He and Gueye should be the basis of our midfield. It's time for Davies to go out on loan, but only to a good manager: He's messed up from the Crooked Sam era. Get rid of Schneiderlin, please. Sigurdsson is doing fine, but personally I believe he rather messes up our preferred configurations: A great player, but increasingly unsuited to our style of play. (I'm sure plenty will disagree with me about this.) Gomes provides great creativity, so we're fine there. What we're missing is solid backup players. Don't spend the big bucks, but find another Gareth Barry type.

On the wing: The future is Bernard and Lookman. I'm not a fan of Walcott, but he's fine as a backup.

Offence: Personally, I disagree with bringing in another striker in January: Wait until the summer. DC-L is improving. Richarlison is running hot and cold. Tosun needs more playing time to re-establish confidence, and he'll get it in cup games. Henry will be arriving soon, so be patient. There's no point spending big bucks in the January window: There are few good deals this time of year.

Who should leave? Schneiderlin (big save on the wage bill). Niasse (has so much spirit and gave when we needed it, but we've moved on). Bolasie (not sure why we acquired him in the first place). It's a good time to loan out Davies and Dowell. We need backup in defence, but one of Kenny and Holgate needs to be on loan, too. They need the experience of playing week in and week out.

So, in priority order:

1. More depth in midfield: not a starter but solid backups for when we face injuries.
  2. An exciting replacement for Coleman (along the lines of another Digne)
  3. Reduce the wage bill, which means selling Schneiderlin, Niasse, and Bolasie and loaning out youngsters.

39 minutes ago, Cornish Steve said:

Offence: Personally, I disagree with bringing in another striker in January: Wait until the summer. DC-L is improving. Richarlison is running hot and cold. Tosun needs more playing time to re-establish confidence, and he'll get it in cup games. Henry will be arriving soon, so be patient. There's no point spending big bucks in the January window: There are few good deals this time of year.

Wouldn't mind taking a punt on Giroud in Jan if he is avaliable and actually wants to come.

I hope we can firstly get rid of a few in this window e.g. Schneiderlin, Niasse and Tosun - I can’t see a future for any of them.  I want young/quality players brought - players Silva can coach and mold.

Right back - I really like Wan Bassaka but have seen Aarons from Norwich mentioned too who I haven’t seen as much but is getting rave reviews.

Central mid - I want Gomes long-term - top player! I do think we need another who can replace Gueye in games like yesterday when maybe his qualities aren’t as important. Someone like Doucoure can do the lot - I also like Billing at Huddersfield - I think he’ll be a top top player.

Att - I want Lozano and think he’ll be reunited with Brands eventually. Still think we need another too - maybe a more physical presence a little further along the line than DCL.

I’d still want these players in the summer but it’d be a bonus if we could bed one or two long-term targets in now which would benefit us long-term.