IGNORED

January Plans

Romey 1878

2 minutes ago, markjazzbassist said:

now if we get europa it will be difficult because we will need more players but do we keep the ones we know we don't want or bring in tons more?  that's tough.  more of a reason i don't want europa.  i'd prefer burton just win the thing and qualify to take away 7th place europa.  that would make it the easiest.  

I think we still get rid of the ones we don't want because being in the Europa league won't make them any better, and in the summer try and add 2 or 3 with real quality with what we've got we should be alright.

5 minutes ago, Aidan said:

EC is pointless anyway when knocked out CL teams get in it. Since 1999,18 teams have featured in the final from being knocked out of the CL, 8 of which have won it. Pointless tournament.

interesting stats i'd never thought of it that way.  that's essentially one CL team each year and just about half of them won it.  Honestly if you look at it that way it's like CL part 2 or something.  you want CL because of the money, but if you get 3rd in the group your consolation is to be farther ahead then the majority of the europa league teams and have a good shot to win that.  very skewed to the CL teams.  i wish no CL teams got in there.  Like it was it's own tournament.  you get 3rd in your CL group you're done, you already got big money from the group stage tv money.  but alas....

1 minute ago, markjazzbassist said:

interesting stats i'd never thought of it that way.  that's essentially one CL team each year and just about half of them won it.  Honestly if you look at it that way it's like CL part 2 or something.  you want CL because of the money, but if you get 3rd in the group your consolation is to be farther ahead then the majority of the europa league teams and have a good shot to win that.  interesting. 

Yeah the way I see it is the EL is intended to be a 'baby' or second tier CL. It gives those lesser teams the chance to get into the CL - that's it. It offers very little money and often dampens the League positions of teams that enter it. Adding CL teams into the mix is insulting to the teams which have earned their place to compete in the tournament.

Either take the CL teams out or bin the thing all together!

I think we have to aim to get in the EL however its the early qualifying rounds we need to avoid. 

I have no idea what I would do as a manager in that situation. It clearly has a history of impeding teams during the season and the chance of winning is tiny. 

On the flip side, players want to play in Europe and the fans like it too. Do you play kids and leave the senior playerd to do their normal preseason and risk going out early? Do you use fringe players and leave the big guns at home or do you go all out? 

In terms of squad size, I dont think it really changes. 2 first team players for every position and a combination of enough decent young players you can put in for a game or two/enough fringe players who can cover a position or two for the odd game.

13 minutes ago, Bailey said:

I think we have to aim to get in the EL however its the early qualifying rounds we need to avoid. 

I have no idea what I would do as a manager in that situation. It clearly has a history of impeding teams during the season and the chance of winning is tiny. 

On the flip side, players want to play in Europe and the fans like it too. Do you play kids and leave the senior playerd to do their normal preseason and risk going out early? Do you use fringe players and leave the big guns at home or do you go all out? 

In terms of squad size, I dont think it really changes. 2 first team players for every position and a combination of enough decent young players you can put in for a game or two/enough fringe players who can cover a position or two for the odd game.

Yep play the fringe players mixed in with a few first teamers. If we was to go out at least then we could focus on the Premier League and pushing for a CL spot!

29 minutes ago, Bailey said:

I think players want to play in the CL on a massive stage. I’ve yet to believe a player who says they’re excited to play in the Europa League.

May not make purchases any this window, but I hope we're chatting away to any number of Monaco players.  Sitting in relegation zone, no champ league next year...a number would be assessing options.

Benjamin Henrichs or Djibril Sidibe could answer our RB problem.  Youri Tielemans would be a great get. 

Plenty of young talent there, Willem Geubbels and Pietro Pellegri would have plenty of suitors.

What are we going to do when EL2 gets launched?

I’ve always enjoyed the EL, the problem with it derailing the season is not enough support from the Premier League. In other countries they actually help the teams in Europe, here they don’t give a shit. 

If you play Tuesday, play Saturday, if you play Wednesday play Sunday, if you play Thursday play Monday. Everyone gets enough rest then. Instead play Thursday and Sunday and probably have a bad game. 

Midfielder and a Striker would be nice, don’t see it though. 

Mentioned it on the match thread but why for once don’t we be progressive and make a few big signings in January? Why wait till June? Let’s steal a march on the clubs that have their pick of the talent? The champions league is at the group stages and there is no euro or World Cup so why not get our targets in and give them six months to bed in? If this season is going to hinge on the FA cup why not? We can concentrate on selling in the summer instead. 

3 minutes ago, Finn balor said:

Mentioned it on the match thread but why for once don’t we be progressive and make a few big signings in January? Why wait till June? Let’s steal a march on the clubs that have their pick of the talent? The champions league is at the group stages and there is no euro or World Cup so why not get our targets in and give them six months to bed in? If this season is going to hinge on the FA cup why not? We can concentrate on selling in the summer instead. 

This, in spades and MUST include a striker.

1 minute ago, c1982 said:

Walcott and Tosun cost £60m last year in this window - add another £24m that Schneiderlin cost in the 2017 January window. All started great but none are for the long-term. Yes, we need players that will improve us but no expensive short-term fixes like these thank you!

Completely agree. If a player we are after becomes available then great but the last thing we need is another window of sigificant incomings and outgoings. 

Herrera, Dembele, and Ramsey are all out of contract in the summer so may be available in the Jan other than that there's not many with prem experience that will be available. That said given our relationship with Watford adding a premium to any deal we try and do with them would Doucoure cost any more in Jan than in the summer? 

1 hour ago, pete0 said:

Herrera, Dembele, and Ramsey are all out of contract in the summer so may be available in the Jan other than that there's not many with prem experience that will be available. That said given our relationship with Watford adding a premium to any deal we try and do with them would Doucoure cost any more in Jan than in the summer? 

Ramsey we've got no chance of. Dembele is an absolute gem of a player but he is very much in the Gomes mould and his legs are going, would be great for experience he'd add but wouldn't add the bite we need. Herrera... meh, sick of us signing Manure cast offs. 

3 hours ago, Makis said:

Just watched first episode of Sunderland 'til I die. There's an example what happens when you plan for the short term.

Shows the real problems at a football club... with a few bad eggs - fuck all managers can do especially with a passionate fan base who demand more. 

Their chief exec was a right prick... flashing his watch off all the time. 

18 hours ago, Finn balor said:

What matter does it mean if we do our business in January and not the summer? 

Generally speaking the "right" type of player isnt available in January. They are mainly players surplus to requirements who are overpriced or they are players you are taking a chance on because the recruitment wasnt right in the summer. I would argue Walcott, Tosun, Schneiderlin, Mangala, Niasse, McGeady and Traore all fall into those brackets. As the window is only a month long, teams are also more reluctant to let a good player go because they will be harder to replace whereas in the summer there is more time to get deals through.

That doesnt mean to say that if the right player wasnt available then they shouldnt be signed just because its January, but they are just less likely to be available.