IGNORED

Things aint what they used to be.

I was clearing out some documents and came across two newspapers that my (grown up) kids bought me several years ago.  One was a Daily Herald published on the day I was born, the other was a Daily Express published on the day war broke out.  The latter was dated 4 September 1939 which was a Monday, so the football results were in there. This was the season that started but didn't finish. Some interesting facts:

15 of the clubs in the old First Division are not now. The same number of clubs who played in the Football League then (15), don't now.  Some like New Brighton no longer exist and most play in the Conference or below.  Everton played Blackburn Rovers away and drew 2 - 2  Tommy Lawton scored both Everton goals.  Liverpool beat Chelsea at Anfield 1 - 0 in front of a crowd of 19,386.  Two clubs shared the highest attendance.  Blackpool, who beat Wolves 2 - 1 had 20,000.  Arsenal also had 20,000 to see them beat Sunderland 5 - 2.   Blackpool were top of the league having played 3 and won 3. Bournemouth were in Division 3 (south) and beat Northampton Town 10 - 0.  Grimsby Town beat Preston North End 2 - 0 in the First Division.  They are now in Division 2 after spending some years in the Conference.  Liverpool were 4th in the league and Everton 5th, both on 4 points.